Author Topic: DREAM THEATER RELEASES TRAILER FOR NEW DVD, BLU-RAY, CD  (Read 277223 times)

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
Re: DREAM THEATER RELEASES TRAILER FOR NEW DVD, BLU-RAY, CD
« Reply #910 on: May 23, 2013, 06:07:04 PM »
2.) The current version of DT are just not interested in maintaining the inclusiveness Mike Portnoy fostered with the fans

Honestly- Wow. ridiculous. The DVD is being held up because they're trying to put SO much on the DVD. They're trying to fill it completely up so WE can see TONS of extras. https://vimeo.com/66857833 17:00

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #911 on: May 23, 2013, 06:15:26 PM »
Dude, chill.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #912 on: May 23, 2013, 06:27:31 PM »

#3:  They haven't said anything because things are in flux with the people involved in actually putting together the DVD and getting it out, and rather than release news that ends up being wrong next week when something else ends up happening that causes another delay, they are waiting until they know something concrete to give us. 

It can be frustrating not only on our end, but also for the band, to have information put out there, and then have to keep retracting and changing it as other obstacles arise.  I think it's a safe bet that unforseen things have popped up and that the band aren't getting answers with enough certainty that give them a comfort level that they can give us anything certain right now.  Yeah, they could take a moment to let us know there is uncertainty, but I could also understand that they don't want to do that and appear like they don't have any control over the situation (even though they likely don't).  I would guess it's something along those lines.

This all might be true, but a message like, "Sorry for the delay on the DVD/Blu-Ray, DT fans, but it's coming very soon, and trust us, it will be worth the wait! Just be a little more patient!" would take about a minute to type and post on FB or twitter.  And fans would appreciate the band at least addressing the issue, instead of saying nothing.

That sucks Dreamer but, honestly, I've never understood why companies offer pre-orders weeks/months/years before products are actually released, and I've always wondered who actually falls for that, and why. I mean, unless the company your ordering from is offering some nice exclusive content, are you really that willing to hand over your money for something as soon as possible?

That cracks me up as well.  Kind of like the people who run and order a CD as soon as it goes on sale online and then it never fails: they receive it like a week after the street date, while those of us who are smart simply waited and got it on the release date at Best Buy or from amazon.  But hey, at least they can say they pre-ordered it first. :rollin :rollin

Depends.  Most of the time, I agree that there is not only no incentive to pre-order, but actually a disincentive for the reasons you mention.  But I can think of a couple of exceptions:
1.  Where the pre-order is done through the band's own label or distribution company or website, and if you order from them, the band gets a bigger cut from the album sale than if you buy it from a brick & mortar store or a big online distributor.  Even if the album is only on time or a little bit late, I will sometimes do this because it benefits the band.
2.  Where they offer exclusive packages, such as with the Queensryche preorder packages right now.  And the package is supposed to arrive early.  But even if it is right on time or just a bit late, I'm cool with that and just want the extras.

Yep, those are two exceptions, but I can't count how many times I've seen online fans pissing and moaning about not getting a CD for close to week, that they could have picked up anywhere the second it was released at a local store.  Pre-ordering something that you won't get before the release date is pretty meaningless most of the time, but it's like some fans freak out that it will sell out immediately and they want to make sure they will get their copy bought and paid for.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #913 on: May 23, 2013, 06:28:14 PM »
2.) The current version of DT are just not interested in maintaining the inclusiveness Mike Portnoy fostered with the fans

Honestly- Wow. ridiculous. The DVD is being held up because they're trying to put SO much on the DVD. They're trying to fill it completely up so WE can see TONS of extras. https://vimeo.com/66857833 17:00

Where in that video does Mangini address the DVD (I am not watching the whole thing now)?

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #914 on: May 23, 2013, 06:30:06 PM »
Dude, chill.

ok sorry I'll calm down. I almost punched a hole in my wall there over your comment!

Where in that video does Mangini address the DVD (I am not watching the whole thing now)?
17:00

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #915 on: May 23, 2013, 07:23:37 PM »
I get that there's times when preordering makes sense, thanks to incentives or just putting more money into the band's comment if you want to support them more, but why anyone would pre-order Luna Park before a release date was announced while very little is even known about what the package includes is beyond me.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #917 on: May 23, 2013, 07:55:38 PM »
I get that there's times when preordering makes sense, thanks to incentives or just putting more money into the band's comment if you want to support them more, but why anyone would pre-order Luna Park before a release date was announced while very little is even known about what the package includes is beyond me.

Exactly. I would wait until we have a concrete answer as to what we're getting in the package and when we'll get it.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #918 on: May 23, 2013, 09:51:56 PM »
Thanks to The Trooper For The Attacks !

:lol :rollin

Offline adastra

« Reply #919 on: May 23, 2013, 11:58:30 PM »
My excitement is slowly dying ._.
In march i was like  ;D :metal :rollin
Now I'm more like whaeva :3
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Dreamer81

« Reply #920 on: May 24, 2013, 01:03:34 AM »
now the page for EMP is updated and this is what it say: Product sold out and no longer available in the future. for all the kind of releases (Deluxe,BR or DVD)...WTF?Still, no word from eagle Rock page, about the future release...IMHO there is something really wrong with the production, maybe with the distribution in EU and all over the world.

I hope they will send you a refund immediately.

Well, they charge the price  when they send the item just like amazon, so you can cancel the preorder at any time without problems:. Not a big deal for me, I want just to know what's happening :D

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #921 on: May 24, 2013, 03:36:32 AM »

#3:  They haven't said anything because things are in flux with the people involved in actually putting together the DVD and getting it out, and rather than release news that ends up being wrong next week when something else ends up happening that causes another delay, they are waiting until they know something concrete to give us. 

It can be frustrating not only on our end, but also for the band, to have information put out there, and then have to keep retracting and changing it as other obstacles arise.  I think it's a safe bet that unforseen things have popped up and that the band aren't getting answers with enough certainty that give them a comfort level that they can give us anything certain right now.  Yeah, they could take a moment to let us know there is uncertainty, but I could also understand that they don't want to do that and appear like they don't have any control over the situation (even though they likely don't).  I would guess it's something along those lines.

This all might be true, but a message like, "Sorry for the delay on the DVD/Blu-Ray, DT fans, but it's coming very soon, and trust us, it will be worth the wait! Just be a little more patient!" would take about a minute to type and post on FB or twitter.  And fans would appreciate the band at least addressing the issue, instead of saying nothing.
Yeah, but just think about it. The first time we got the date was from the Eagle Rock trailer, and only when it leaked prematurely, when they re-released it there was no "May" in the video description. Then we had OTE prematurely estimating stuff, and the Mattivision (sorry if I misspelled) trailer was the only one that definitely mentioned May. Then we had all these distros and the range of dates from May through July and June to November. None of these announcements came from Dream Theater themselves.

The number and type of fans which get all their DT news through what they post on social media and who don't pay much attention to those either would go "what DVD?" or "what delay?" at that announcement. For all the rest of us, there's inties with two members of DT (JP, MM) which basically said that the DVD hasn't vanished into thin air, and that they don't know anything about a release date now but it's full of awesome stuff, different to anything they've done before, that the difference is the reason (or one of the reasons) why it's taking so long and that we just need to be patient. And JR through his Twitter and during his StageIt performance confirming basically the same thing. So that's 3/5 of DT telling us what they can about the DVD.

Even though every day without info delays the DVD further, and even though they're probably fully aware of that fact, imagine if they said something as vague as "yeah we don't know what's going on with our new DVD or at least we can't tell you right now but it is coming out and you'll get it sometime this year I guess" as an official announcement? Even worse, imagine if a day or two after that they got whatever green light they're waiting for and then be like "yeah uhm scratch that". They're just waiting for concrete info to tell us, very likely, and the fact they don't have it now is the source of my frustration (even though a couple of pages ago I posted something similar to the post I'm quoting).

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #922 on: May 24, 2013, 04:23:03 AM »
^^ great post :tup

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #923 on: May 24, 2013, 05:17:08 AM »
Yeah, but just think about it. The first time we got the date was from the Eagle Rock trailer, and only when it leaked prematurely, when they re-released it there was no "May" in the video description. Then we had OTE prematurely estimating stuff, and the Mattivision (sorry if I misspelled) trailer was the only one that definitely mentioned May. Then we had all these distros and the range of dates from May through July and June to November. None of these announcements came from Dream Theater themselves.

The number and type of fans which get all their DT news through what they post on social media and who don't pay much attention to those either would go "what DVD?" or "what delay?" at that announcement. For all the rest of us, there's inties with two members of DT (JP, MM) which basically said that the DVD hasn't vanished into thin air, and that they don't know anything about a release date now but it's full of awesome stuff, different to anything they've done before, that the difference is the reason (or one of the reasons) why it's taking so long and that we just need to be patient. And JR through his Twitter and during his StageIt performance confirming basically the same thing. So that's 3/5 of DT telling us what they can about the DVD.

Even though every day without info delays the DVD further, and even though they're probably fully aware of that fact, imagine if they said something as vague as "yeah we don't know what's going on with our new DVD or at least we can't tell you right now but it is coming out and you'll get it sometime this year I guess" as an official announcement? Even worse, imagine if a day or two after that they got whatever green light they're waiting for and then be like "yeah uhm scratch that". They're just waiting for concrete info to tell us, very likely, and the fact they don't have it now is the source of my frustration (even though a couple of pages ago I posted something similar to the post I'm quoting).

Spot on, gal - WELL said. :hefdaddy :heart

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #924 on: May 24, 2013, 06:35:23 AM »

EXACTLY!  Just because we have all the insider information, we shouldn't lose our perspective.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #925 on: May 24, 2013, 09:30:51 AM »

EXACTLY!  Just because we have all the insider information, we shouldn't lose our perspective.

Dream Theater's official YouTube says May...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gABECAxp58w&sns=em

.. And so does DT.net

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #926 on: May 24, 2013, 09:35:37 AM »
^Yes, but the kind of fans Milena was talking about in the part you bolded probably haven't even seen that trailer.

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #927 on: May 24, 2013, 09:42:23 AM »
I must admit that I'm an obsessive-compulsive person and I'm becoming obsessed with this freaking awesome DVD. DT live sound is the best ever. I wouldn't have worried with chaos in motion DVD being postponed because it is, in my opinión, the worst live I've ever watched from a well-known band.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #928 on: May 24, 2013, 05:02:18 PM »
OTE on facebook-

"To the Dream Theater fans in reference to the many requests to release some information on when the Live at Luna Park DVD & BluRay will be released: We only produce the content and make it look awesome.. we don't have control over when it gets released, that's completely up to many other people like the band, their management, their label and distribution. All we know is that it's done and it looks and sounds incredible. A lot of work by the band went into mixing the live audio and it is by FAR one of the best live mixes we've ever heard!! Please stop asking us for more info on the release date. We honestly don't know. We will of course release any info that we're allowed to release, because hey... we're just as excited for it to be released as you are!!"

https://www.facebook.com/OverTheEdgeProductions/posts/513931148665518

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #929 on: May 24, 2013, 05:10:32 PM »
Not a step forward, and that was expected, but still some good infos about what we are going to find on that bloody DVD. I like that the band took the time to personally oversee the mixing and that the outcome was phnomnal.  :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #930 on: May 24, 2013, 05:11:58 PM »
even better than their last DVD, Score.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #931 on: May 24, 2013, 05:13:26 PM »

I know! I have known since before the DVD was shot that the chances were very high to have their best live release ever.
- Marco

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #932 on: May 24, 2013, 05:17:41 PM »

I know! I have known since before the DVD was shot that the chances were very high to have their best live release ever.

The technologic advances alone would have proven that this should be thier best live advance at least in terms of video and audio.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #933 on: May 24, 2013, 05:19:06 PM »
wait a sec, I can't tell- did the joke just go over both of your heads?

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
« Reply #934 on: May 24, 2013, 05:20:32 PM »
Thanks to Over The Edge for the facts.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #935 on: May 24, 2013, 05:35:40 PM »
Thanks to Over The Edge for the facts.

I just commented that on their post  :lol hope you don't mind lol

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #936 on: May 24, 2013, 05:58:10 PM »

Haha, I just noticed now. There's enough hate for CiM that people actually ignore it. :lol

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #937 on: May 24, 2013, 06:01:10 PM »

Haha, I just noticed now. There's enough hate for CiM that people actually ignore it. :lol

Yes. And JLB said "our last DVD, Score" in an interview, too.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #938 on: May 24, 2013, 06:11:35 PM »
I just hope its nothing to do with this 360 app. I mean, its merely a gimmick that I wont be using and it seems to only be for 6:00 too. Give me the concert, give me a docu maybe and thats all I need at the end of the day, but if these 'new, never done before' special features are gonna be a problem, dont bother with em!

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #939 on: May 24, 2013, 06:23:59 PM »
Maybe we should flood Eagle Rock Entertainments Facebook-page with questions about the whereabouts of Live at Luna Park? Since it's them who's responsible for the publishing of it.
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #940 on: May 25, 2013, 02:54:31 AM »

You know what? You consistently make so much sense, and express yourself so eloquently, that I've decided you're basically a female version of robwebster.

ALL HAIL THE FEMALE SERBIAN ROBWEBSTER.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #941 on: May 25, 2013, 03:11:46 AM »
Truth be spoken.
- Marco

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #942 on: May 25, 2013, 04:07:39 AM »

You know what? You consistently make so much sense, and express yourself so eloquently, that I've decided you're basically a female version of robwebster.

:femalerobwebster:
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: May 25, 2013, 04:17:30 AM »

:femalerobwebster:

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #944 on: May 25, 2013, 04:28:20 AM »
Hahahaha!
Better still: :robwebstress: or :robinwebster:
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.