Author Topic: DREAM THEATER RELEASES TRAILER FOR NEW DVD, BLU-RAY, CD  (Read 278118 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: DREAM THEATER RELEASES TRAILER FOR NEW DVD, BLU-RAY, CD
« Reply #945 on: May 25, 2013, 04:29:40 AM »
Probably the last sentence of her is the most relevant piece of speculation of this whole thread. This whole situation has offered compelling hints that they don't have the information right now of when the album is going to be released, assuming it's ready for going off (which wouldn't we don't know - we would assume it is judging from OTE's posts, but then MM's latest interview seemed to imply otherwise).

If this is due to the project having hit some kind of wall or because things are in flux as I think bosk suggested, it remains to be seen. Of course I believe everyone here would root for the second option.  :)

:robwebstress:  :rollin
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #946 on: May 25, 2013, 04:53:28 AM »
OTE (summary of their last post on pacebook page): Don't post any comment about Live at Luna Park 'cause we have taken offense. However,  we feel proud of having uploaded irrelevant facts and pictures of our crew enjoying the first ever bluray.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #947 on: May 25, 2013, 04:56:37 AM »
Where do you read that they've taken offense?

"To the Dream Theater fans in reference to the many requests to release some information on when the Live at Luna Park DVD & BluRay will be released: We only produce the content and make it look awesome.. we don't have control over when it gets released, that's completely up to many other people like the band, their management, their label and distribution. All we know is that it's done and it looks and sounds incredible. A lot of work by the band went into mixing the live audio and it is by FAR one of the best live mixes we've ever heard!! Please stop asking us for more info on the release date. We honestly don't know. We will of course release any info that we're allowed to release, because hey... we're just as excited for it to be released as you are!!"
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #948 on: May 25, 2013, 05:31:29 AM »
From this statement and the overall  personal impression of their previous ones. Perhaps the word I was looking for was closer to bothered/blamed instead of offense. They promised some behind the scenes footage back in feb-march.I think that maybe they have gone further than they were allowed to.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #949 on: May 25, 2013, 06:24:19 AM »
I think it's ridiculous that people were asking OTE about the release date - obviously the people who filmed the concert are the ones who will release the DVD... ::)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #950 on: May 25, 2013, 11:57:52 AM »
*snip*
You know what? You consistently make so much sense, and express yourself so eloquently, that I've decided you're basically a female version of robwebster.

ALL HAIL THE FEMALE SERBIAN ROBWEBSTER.

:femalerobwebster:

:'( :heart :blush :blush :blush :blush

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: May 25, 2013, 12:42:10 PM »

You know what? You consistently make so much sense, and express yourself so eloquently, that I've decided you're basically a female version of robwebster.

I try my best as well you know !  :angry:

Maybe I am the demi-rob.

That's on a good day. Normally I am DUH I TYPING   :loser:

Offline freefaln

• Freefaln
  • Drum as if it were your last day on earth...
« Reply #952 on: May 25, 2013, 12:55:25 PM »
Does anyone know when in May the Blu Ray hits the stores?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #953 on: May 25, 2013, 01:12:26 PM »

It's not going to hit the stores in May. We don't have an official release date yet.
- Marco

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #954 on: May 25, 2013, 01:17:50 PM »

Probably sometime in between May 60th and May 90th.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #955 on: May 25, 2013, 02:35:15 PM »

Dunno about stores, but my preorder arrived today. Amazing disc, you should go to your local store three times per day and ask them if they just got it.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #956 on: May 25, 2013, 03:21:30 PM »
 I'm confused...

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #957 on: May 25, 2013, 03:24:59 PM »

Dunno about stores, but my preorder arrived today. Amazing disc, you should go to your local store three times per day and ask them if they just got it.
loltroll
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #958 on: May 25, 2013, 04:54:03 PM »
I think they were printing in the same place a I&W cuz PMU cuts off abruptly at the end :sadpanda:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #959 on: May 25, 2013, 05:13:45 PM »
Let's hope for a vinyl remaster that fixes the PMU cutoff. They can put the audio on vinyl and the video on a silent BluRay - with a countdown at the beginning that helps you to start your vinyl at the same time as the concert commences.
Lossless digital audio doesn't do DT justice anyway, we need the proper vinyl sound to hear all the frequencies above 22 kHz JMX is playing.

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #960 on: May 25, 2013, 06:05:40 PM »
I've watched some tracks from the concert in Buenos Aires and they sounded phenomenal! James...Oh my freaking God...his performance is flawless. Folks, the bluray is gonna be awesome. No matter how long we have to wait to get it in our hands.

Offline JoshuaB2112

« Reply #961 on: May 25, 2013, 07:16:50 PM »

Do you really have a copy? If so, please give us as much info as possible about the tracklist and try to put some of it onto YouTube!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #962 on: May 25, 2013, 07:17:19 PM »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #963 on: May 25, 2013, 07:20:45 PM »

Do you really have a copy? If so, please give us as much info as possible about the tracklist and try to put some of it onto YouTube!

Haha, I'll be slightly more helpful than DarkLord (assuming you aren't being sarcastic).

A. He was just joking
B. We know the whole setlist already
C. Talking about or asking about putting parts of the DVD on YouTube that aren't posting by an official YouTube channel (i.e. the band, OverTheEdge, etc.) is against the forum's terms of service.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline freefaln

• Freefaln
  • Drum as if it were your last day on earth...
« Reply #964 on: May 25, 2013, 09:02:31 PM »
Whenever it is released, it will be mine.  Watched interview with Mangini today.  He's quite the mathematician.  I can't wait to see what HE came up with...no drum machine on any of these songs.  It's all him and the unique collaboration that IS DT!!

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #965 on: May 25, 2013, 10:59:05 PM »
Mangini says they are trying to fill the dvd/bluray up with plenty of interesting content and that's taking time. OTE say the product is finished and ready for release...I just don't understand anything.

Offline JoshuaB2112

« Reply #966 on: May 25, 2013, 11:03:50 PM »

Haha, I'll be slightly more helpful than DarkLord (assuming you aren't being sarcastic).

A. He was just joking
C. Talking about or asking about putting parts of the DVD on YouTube that aren't posting by an official YouTube channel (i.e. the band, OverTheEdge, etc.) is against the forum's terms of service.

I still don't know which songs are going to be part of the main feature and which if any will just be bonus tracks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #967 on: May 25, 2013, 11:27:11 PM »

A. He was just joking

I still don't know which songs are going to be part of the main feature and which if any will just be bonus tracks.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36531.0
As far as we know, this is what will be included on the main feature, and which songs will be extras.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #968 on: May 26, 2013, 02:21:13 AM »

:femalerobwebster:

:lol Beautiful.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #969 on: May 26, 2013, 07:21:15 AM »
I've never had a distaff Balkan counterpart, before. Nifty!

And, yes, wonderfully said.

Offline johncal

« Reply #970 on: May 26, 2013, 08:50:15 AM »

A. He was just joking

I don't buy the set list thing there. I believe it makes sense for them to use the best of the 2 performances while keeping the order relatively similar. If you're putting something out there why wouldn't you use your best. As an example on one of the 2 nights, Mangini flubbed his tom roll section of his solo, I'd bet that part wouldn't be in there.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #971 on: May 26, 2013, 09:52:36 AM »
I'm not gonna say how I know this, but I do know that 5:52 of Outcry was also neater the second night.. This is all stuff they could it's fix up, but I would really rather they didn't. I'm really hoping they don't touch James' voice at all.

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #972 on: May 26, 2013, 10:57:08 AM »
I fully agree with you. James' vocals sounded terrible in Chaos in Motion. Too much processing. His performance don't need to be touched at all. I want it to be natural. His voice is beautiful and recovered nowadays

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #973 on: May 26, 2013, 11:39:19 AM »
I fully agree with you. James' vocals sounded terrible in Chaos in Motion. Too much processing. His performance don't need to be touched at all. I want it to be natural. His voice is beautiful and recovered nowadays

I might actually make a thread about this. the way tuning of vocals works is that you can just hit the auto tune button like in Garage Band, and it will tune every note a singer hits to the pitch it is closest to. But this will make that snapping from pitch to pitch sound like in hip hop music. There are ways to get around that when done more professionally where each note is tuned specifically, and it doesn't sound unnatural, and unfortunately pretty much EVERYONE including DT uses this nowadays. It sounds like a real voice, but changes the singer's tone if you listen carefully.

On Score, to me it sounds like they carefully went through each song and used this second kind so that it sounds natural, but if you know James' voice really well, you can tell he sounds a little too perfect.

On CiM, it blows me away more and more every time I hear it, I just CAN'T EVEN BELIEVE they released it sounding like this. They just used the first kind and the voice snaps from pitch to pitch, and sometimes EVEN THE WRONG PITCH! Like for instance, if James is singing a G but it's a little sharp, it might auto tune him to an A if thats the next note in the scale. But not only that, they also messed with the frequencies somehow so he sounds like he's singing through the telephone answering machine and it's incredibly nasal. He sang so well on that tour, I just can't even... They ruined his voice and released it, and now people think he actually sounds that bad..

I hope on this DVD they use neither and we can hear it exactly how it was on those two great nights. But I have a bad feeling that they will fix up some notes, but they will fix them on not make them worse.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #974 on: May 26, 2013, 11:55:13 AM »
It's almost guaranteed that they will use the second kind of pitch correction you mentioned, however from the clip of 6:00 that Mativision released on YouTube, it sounds like his voice still very much sounds like he should which is good. Even on Score I felt that his voice didn't sound like he normally does, although it's very insignificant there considering his performance was mindblowing and it doesn't sound bad.

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #975 on: May 26, 2013, 04:44:22 PM »
I think the same way. The pirate doesn't need autotune or similar tools. His voice is gorgeous and unique (very personal). I don't mind if there are some mistaken notes. He's human and that's how I want it to be. Instrumental tracks are also modified but the changes are less noticeable.
There's something I don't like about DT recent albums in relation to vocals. I LOVE James' live vibrato and I miss them on the studio albums. I hope Live at Luna Park makes his vibratos the justice they deserve from my point of view.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #976 on: May 26, 2013, 04:55:09 PM »
oh yea and that's the other thing- on CiM, it autotunes his thick vibrato (Blind Faith chorus for example) to snap to notes above and below the pitch so rather than sounding like the greatest vibrato in the world (which it is), it sounds incredibly obnoxious. The really "professional" autotune often keeps vibrato on the same note, which will sound almost natural, but a good listener can say "something sounds different and machine-like but I can't tell what or why."

It's because natural vibrato changes the pitch anywhere from less than half of a half step to what James occasionally does, an entire full step. But, it has to have smooth sliding and every wave should be consistent and even in size for any particular note.

and to be a little more specific, the pitch wave can go either above the note and back, below and back, or both- going above and below (around) the note.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #977 on: May 26, 2013, 04:57:51 PM »

I'm pretty sure they will have made an A/B comparison, meaning the untouched original will have been worse than the processed version.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #978 on: May 26, 2013, 05:04:30 PM »

I'm pretty sure they will have made an A/B comparison, meaning the untouched original will have been worse than the processed version.

The bootlegs from that tour sound positively better. It could be an instance of "wishful blanks-filling", but it could also mean that he did sound better than he appears on CiM.
- Marco

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #979 on: May 26, 2013, 05:06:23 PM »
I just listened to Blind Faith from CiM, I can't really say I noticed any blatant auto-tuning. I noticed a shit-ton of bad intonation, sure. I think what some people here attribute to an overactive autotuner is in fact James just being all over the place.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."