Author Topic: DREAM THEATER RELEASES TRAILER FOR NEW DVD, BLU-RAY, CD  (Read 279325 times)

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
Re: DREAM THEATER RELEASES TRAILER FOR NEW DVD, BLU-RAY, CD
« Reply #1925 on: November 07, 2013, 04:14:58 AM »
A lot of people mentioned about how the delay made them expect more extras. I figured the reason for the delay was so they could show it in theatres before it was released?

Offline adastra

« Reply #1926 on: November 07, 2013, 04:46:10 AM »
A lot of people mentioned about how the delay made them expect more extras. I figured the reason for the delay was so they could show it in theatres before it was released?

I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that "It will be worth the wait cos it will be packed with amazing extras" .
But I'm not 100% sure . I've propably imagined that  :laugh:
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1927 on: November 07, 2013, 05:31:36 AM »

Check the thread, here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36531.0

People were expecting a lot of extras, because a statement released by the band said the reason for the release date delay was going to be "abundantly clear" come November, citing a "wealth of extras".

At the same time, there was a rumor going around that something was wrong with the sound, based on a blog here: https://destroyerofharmony.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/dream-theater-why-the-silence-on-the-live-at-luna-park-dvd-release/#comments

The blog post itself is of little value, however Rena Petrucci (or someone posting as her) left a comment indicating sound issues:
RENA PETRUCCI (AKA YOKO) says:
It will be out before Christmas. Ha ha ha I’m gonna get in big trouble. (Delays due to sound quality issues) and there would be no sound if John left.

My take: Since there is no "wealth of extras", I have to default to Rena's comment about there having been sound issues. After watching the Bluray, I can confirm that it's a very good product, despite a few issues here and there with syncing, James' mic, and the silent crowd. Also, JP confirmed in Google Hangout that there were some issues with lighting, which made the band have to carry sound over from performances of one night to another night in some cases... anyway, my best guess is, there were some issues with sound, so rather than rushing an inferior product out the door before DT12 marketing kicked into gear, the band decided to give themselves time to resolve these issues by pushing the due date back 'til November 5.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1928 on: November 07, 2013, 05:37:52 AM »
I still find it hard to believe that it takes DT a YEAR to release a live dvd, where bands like Transatlantic or Flying Colours only take 3 or 4 months to deliver the product.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1929 on: November 07, 2013, 05:56:22 AM »
Are you sure 'wealth of extras' didn't include the theatre showings which later came as a surprise? :D

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1930 on: November 07, 2013, 06:06:17 AM »

"Sorry for the short set post" [cit.]

Hey I was at that show.  ;D

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1931 on: November 07, 2013, 06:14:50 AM »
I still find it hard to believe that it takes DT a YEAR to release a live dvd, where bands like Transatlantic or Flying Colours only take 3 or 4 months to deliver the product.
Well, those are usually "Official Bootleg" quality-ish. Not really on the same level of this. Plus, you have to take into account that the thing was probably ready months earlier, but had to be shelved as to not interfere with the DT12 release.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1932 on: November 07, 2013, 06:15:48 AM »
Anyone know if the itunes version will be available in the US? The link here says it's not for sale in the US
https://www.dreamtheater.net/news/enjoy-backs-angels-live-luna-park-62406
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1933 on: November 07, 2013, 06:17:55 AM »
Well, those are usually "Official Bootleg" quality-ish. Not really on the same level of this. Plus, you have to take into account that the thing was probably ready months earlier, but had to be shelved as to not interfere with the DT12 release.

Plus some people forget to take into consideration that if it came out in 3-4 months, they would be complaining that it was rushed and could have put more time into it. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1934 on: November 07, 2013, 06:58:57 AM »
The new Nightwish and epics DVDs are coming out faster than DTs as well but I get the feeling that LaLP will be the best in terms of quality and length.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1935 on: November 07, 2013, 07:04:05 AM »
Mangini does some entertaining stuff

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1936 on: November 07, 2013, 08:07:36 AM »
*snip*

:lol What song?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1937 on: November 07, 2013, 08:26:41 AM »
It's Build Me Up, Break Me Down during the break after the 2nd chorus.

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #1938 on: November 07, 2013, 08:30:06 AM »
I picked this up at my local record store today. Having watched it one time, I can definitely say I'm entertained. The guys are giving their all and the setlist in my opinion works fantastically. Even the mix seems to be good, I certainly expected less after the Pull Me Under Youtube clip. I can hear the keyboard well enough. Extra points to James for sounding so raw and live yet controlled. Mangini's solo spot was one of the highlights for me. Still need to watch the bonus material.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1939 on: November 07, 2013, 09:19:38 AM »
Honestly, I half wish we could just get a stationery overhead cam on Mangini the entire show.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1940 on: November 07, 2013, 09:32:11 AM »
Honestly, I half wish we could just get a stationery overhead cam on Mangini the entire show.  :lol

Yeah, the shots from the cams connected to the kit frame were in full earthquake/shake mode.    It seemed hard for them to get really clean shots of him, maybe it's because of the closed cage design off the kit?  Compared to MP's more open kit designs.   Loved to watch him play though.

And the best part of this clip is...he's doing it with JM!!!!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1941 on: November 07, 2013, 09:40:13 AM »
Yea there's a funny face JM makes some other time that I'll make a gif out of once I get home.

Offline gibbs1245

« Reply #1942 on: November 07, 2013, 10:21:20 AM »
The crying girl was shown a couple times during TSCO solo. I was about to get teary eyed as well, that solo...  :hefdaddy
“I am not religious, more like a thinking, open-minded individual. Religions and their dogmas are not necessarily bad. Human beings interpreting them are.”
― Tuomas Holopainen

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1943 on: November 07, 2013, 10:52:39 AM »
Watched an hour or so of it last night. Hmm. Not digging the direction at all- it's too close up, they zoom away from the soloist just as it's building to a climax and I just feel disconnected from it really. I think I prefer seeing it from the point  of view of being in the crowd rather than on stage as that seems to be what they are aiming for.
And I think it might just be a side effect of HD too as the picture is just too clean. I haven't seen a concert Blu Ray yet that I've liked.

Music and performance wise it's great, though it really is the JP show soundwise. The Cap'n sounds in fine voice, MM is entertaining to watch.
I also find it weird when the band is wearing jackets.Its like they haven't decided if they're staying or not  :biggrin:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1944 on: November 07, 2013, 11:29:06 AM »
The crying girl was shown a couple times during TSCO solo. I was about to get teary eyed as well, that solo...  :hefdaddy

I love that girl! 

I get chills with that song every single time.  It's one of those songs, I feel, that the whole world should know.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #1945 on: November 07, 2013, 06:01:22 PM »

I love that girl! 

I get chills with that song every single time.  It's one of those songs, I feel, that the whole world should know.

It was cool the first time. Then every time after that, all I could think of was that meme "Got the facts...Forgot to thank OTE".  :facepalm:  :laugh:
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1946 on: November 07, 2013, 07:58:23 PM »

Pfff, one year.  Alter Bridge's Live From Amsterdam was not really released in stores until early 2011 (although, I believe it was on sale at Amazon around 2009) and that concert was in December 2008.  The reason it was delayed, though, was due to record label issues (what else is new?).

Anywho, I'm watching this right now.  So far so good in the early going.  I, too, am also amused with LaBrie and Rudess sporting jackets in the early going.

My only gripe, only at Bridges in the Sky so far, is either when LaBrie says "Sing this with me" and I can't hear the crowd that much or it looks like JP is singing backup, but I can't hear it as well.  Doesn't seem like too much of a gripe, but this is kinda matter for a live show DVD.

Edit: Loving 6:00, right now.

Offline j

« Reply #1947 on: November 07, 2013, 10:11:50 PM »
Just watched some of this on YouTube.  The funky ass jam right after the Metropolis instrumental break is so awesome.

-J

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1948 on: November 07, 2013, 10:56:25 PM »
Okay, I ran through a bit of the Blu-ray on my home system tonight and my initial thoughts are as follows:

-Surrounded is easily one of the 5-10 best songs the band has ever done.  I never rank it that high, but I probably should; it is that good.
-The crowd looked way too bored more often than not.  Where was that enthusiastic crowd we usually get from down there? ???
-It is blatantly obvious why the band continues to play The Spirit Carries On, The Dark Eternal Night and War Inside My Head/The Test That Stumped Them All: all of them are great live songs and total crowd pleasers.
-Early on, I can see what some mean about the keyboards being too low in the mix.  I definitely had to strain to hear them at times.  I mean, sure, you could hear them, but the guitar was so loud, it nearly overpowered a lead keyboard part quite often.
-JLB definitely sounds very good (based on what I watched).
-As much as I liked A Dramatic Turn of Events, I still got the most enjoyment out of the oldest songs, including A Fortune in Lies and 6:00.  The ADTOE songs sounded really good, but there is just something magical about those songs from their earliest recording years.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1949 on: November 07, 2013, 11:25:57 PM »

My only gripe, only at Bridges in the Sky so far, is either when LaBrie says "Sing this with me" and I can't hear the crowd that much or it looks like JP is singing backup, but I can't hear it as well.  Doesn't seem like too much of a gripe, but this is kinda matter for a live show DVD.

Ha, yeah...I agree.  I mean, I appreciate James trying to get the crowd involved but I'm like, dude...I'd rather just hear you.  If I'm not mistaken, he does this every  time before that part.  His amazing performance allows me to forgive him. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1950 on: November 08, 2013, 06:02:14 AM »
Okay, I ran through a bit of the Blu-ray on my home system tonight and my initial thoughts are as follows:

-Surrounded is easily one of the 5-10 best songs the band has ever done.  I never rank it that high, but I probably should; it is that good.
-The crowd looked way too bored more often than not.  Where was that enthusiastic crowd we usually get from down there? ???
-It is blatantly obvious why the band continues to play The Spirit Carries On, The Dark Eternal Night and War Inside My Head/The Test That Stumped Them All: all of them are great live songs and total crowd pleasers.
-Early on, I can see what some mean about the keyboards being too low in the mix.  I definitely had to strain to hear them at times.  I mean, sure, you could hear them, but the guitar was so loud, it nearly overpowered a lead keyboard part quite often.
-JLB definitely sounds very good (based on what I watched).
-As much as I liked A Dramatic Turn of Events, I still got the most enjoyment out of the oldest songs, including A Fortune in Lies and 6:00.  The ADTOE songs sounded really good, but there is just something magical about those songs from their earliest recording years.

A Fortune In Lies was such a pleasant surprise.  Though for an even greater pleasure would have been To Live Forever.  But I think that's already been on two live DVDs so I can understand why they didn't choose it.

I completely agree with your statements regarding TSCO, TDEN and WIMH/TTTSTA. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1951 on: November 08, 2013, 07:07:47 AM »
I was able to sit down last night and start watching the first part of the main concert, I didn't get through the whole thing, but I was able to watch up to the drum solo. 

Here are a couple of thoughts, only having watched those first 6 or so songs....

1. JLB sounds very, very good here.  Is he playing around with the melody lines and phrasing things differently here and there? Yep! But I for one, like when vocalists do that live, so it doesn't detract from his performance to me.  Can't wait to listen to him sing the rest of the songs, he sounds that good!

2. The mix isn't great, but it isn't that bad either.... I was just listening on my MacBook with headphones in (so the audio setting was just stereo) and I generally enjoyed the mix. That being said I'm a guitar player so the fact that the guitar was certainly up front in the mix was cool with me most of the time.  I will say that JR is a little low in the mix, but I could hear JM fine and MM sounded pretty good too! In just watching the first few songs, the instance that the slightly low keys mix hit me was during the Root of All Evil.  I'm so used to hearing the Score version, that hearing the song played with this mix made the lower key volume more noticeable to me. Like I said though, the mix isn't bad for my ears, but if I was to nitpick, I'd turn JR up a bit and maybe MM's kick drums in a few sections as well.

3. MM is killing it!! Love this guy and I didn't even get to watch the drum solo yet, I stopped watching right before it. Can't wait to watch that, this guy is a crazy good drummer.  Watching him play some of the ADTOE songs makes me appreciate his parts on that album so much more, which is what I was hoping would happen.  Being able to more clearly here some of the work he is doing on those tracks, along with being able to visually see it, really brings the parts to life!

4. A few weird things.  During one of JP's solos, I think it was LNF you can clearly see that it looks like they edited together footage from both nights of him playing and put them together.  One camera angle shows him playing with his foot up on his stand and then they would switch to a different camera and he was magically standing with both legs on the ground playing the solo, etc, etc... Its a minor thing, but I noticed it on my first watch of the song.  And the backing vocals thing with JP I'm still trying to figure out as well... Sometimes he is faking singing and its pre-recording JLB backing, and other times he is singing but they mixed it super, super low.  Seems a little odd to me, sure JP isn't a great singer, but with a little pitch correction help, I'm sure they would have sounded pretty good.  I mean you can easily hear his backing vocals on their last couple DVD releases... Kinda weird, but once again, I'm not letting small things detract from my enjoyment of what seems like a great concert DVD.

Overall, I'm really liking it, still need to finish watching it but I'm generally pleased so far, it looks and sounds great! The band is truely on fire!  :tup

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1952 on: November 08, 2013, 07:46:31 AM »
One thing on the editing, several times I have found myself saying "oh boy here comes an awesome drum part" only to find that MM is not shown at all during said part. That's really my only critique of the editing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1953 on: November 08, 2013, 09:55:33 AM »
^ At least it was directed by someone who understands music and doesn't immediately ignore whoever is playing a solo. Fuck i hate that so much.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1954 on: November 08, 2013, 09:59:29 AM »
^ At least it was directed by someone who understands music and doesn't immediately ignore whoever is playing a solo. Fuck i hate that so much.

Reminds me of listening to the commentary for 5YIAL...

Offline Öxölklöfför

• Pull my finger, I'm not afraid.
« Reply #1955 on: November 08, 2013, 01:47:15 PM »
MM's bass drum work in AFIL (following the guitar) is realiy cool, especially the part where the same pattern is played on the snare (just before the guitar solo).

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1956 on: November 08, 2013, 07:01:09 PM »
While performing Outcry where James sings this line: though you may stand upon the grave, camera showed him that he unhaded the microphone but he kept on singing that bolded part. Strange.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1957 on: November 08, 2013, 10:05:48 PM »
While performing Outcry where James sings this line: though you may stand upon the grave, camera showed him that he unhaded the microphone but he kept on singing that bolded part. Strange.
That part, actually, used audio and video from different nights.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1958 on: November 08, 2013, 10:31:14 PM »
That part, actually, used audio and video from different nights.

Yeah, that must be it and I thought the same thing but the strange thing is I called this "bad editing". Instead of this scene there can be many things to show. I mean, we waited too long for this DVD and here is an unprofessional flaw. It can be small flaw but really irritating one for me.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1959 on: November 09, 2013, 03:51:33 AM »
By the way, that part of the pic is slightly blurred, but I am shown in one of the photos in the Deluxe edition!!  :metal

The funny thing is, the very same thing happened on the WhirlTour DVD by Transatlantic  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco