Author Topic: DREAM THEATER RELEASES TRAILER FOR NEW DVD, BLU-RAY, CD  (Read 278038 times)

Offline DTFan0789

Re: DREAM THEATER RELEASES TRAILER FOR NEW DVD, BLU-RAY, CD
« Reply #1050 on: May 28, 2013, 09:12:35 AM »
Nothing will come of this.
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #1051 on: May 28, 2013, 09:12:56 AM »
Dream theater has NEVER used auto tune live- we know that for sure.

The closest thing is JP kinda lip syncing/ singing along with most of the harmony backing tracks on the ADTOE tour. Still wish MM, Jordan, and JP would just do it for real.

And call me stubborn, but I still know that auto tune was applied through and through on the songs on CiM, and even much worse on the CD version, although I don't think I've heard every single song on the DVD or CD. I also know that even taking into account JLBs common mistakes and flaws, the post production made him sound a million times worse.

Also, I had to change my username  :(. But I also really like my new one  ;D

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1052 on: May 28, 2013, 09:14:45 AM »

The closest thing is JP kinda lip syncing/ singing along with most of the harmony backing tracks on the ADTOE tour. Still wish MM, Jordan, and JP would just do it for real.

And call me stubborn, but I still know that auto tune was applied through and through on the songs on CiM, and even much worse on the CD version, although I don't think I've heard every single song on the DVD or CD. I also know that even taking into account JLBs common mistakes and flaws, the post production made him sound a million times worse.

Thank you.  Looks good!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1053 on: May 28, 2013, 09:23:44 AM »
And call me stubborn, but I still know that auto tune was applied through and through on the songs on CiM, and even much worse on the CD version, although I don't think I've heard every single song on the DVD or CD.
Why not?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #1054 on: May 28, 2013, 09:26:14 AM »
I hope we get news today!
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #1055 on: May 28, 2013, 10:37:25 AM »
Soon (as the trailer back in feb. said) means half a year. Shortly means at least 2 months.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1056 on: May 28, 2013, 10:48:50 AM »
Soon (as the trailer back in feb. said) means half a year. Shortly means at least 2 months.

So "in the next couple of weeks" could mean a decade?  :omg:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #1057 on: May 28, 2013, 10:50:11 AM »
Yeah man. Time's relative.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1058 on: May 28, 2013, 10:55:38 AM »
Ha just went to Eagle Rock's facebook page and there are quite a few posts asking about the Live at Luna release. Still shortly could really mean a few weeks at this point realistically.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1059 on: May 28, 2013, 11:39:02 AM »
Let's see.

Exactly - I'm still excite for LALP, but I'll believe the update when I actually SEE it.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #1060 on: May 28, 2013, 11:55:59 AM »
If its in the next couple of days I can see a July release

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1061 on: May 28, 2013, 12:46:58 PM »

Listen to the first verse of Panic Attack. Of all things in a DT show, James would not be off pitch during that verse.
Why not? For such an inexperienced singer you should really know that it's possible to go off pitch on any note at any time.
First, I've been singing since I was 4, but of course those singers I mentioned have been singing much much longer than I've even been alive, but anyway, careful with the word inexperienced. Second, not impossible, but unlikely for that specific spot.
Oops, I actually meant to say experienced. :lol But yeah, you got my point anyway I think.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1062 on: May 28, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
Imitating James, Tommy Shaw, Dennis DeYoung, James Young, Mike Portnoy, Lawrence Gowan, Russel Allen, and Bruce Dickonson often helps me create technique for hitting different notes and different types of phrases.

Say what you will about MP's singing, but I think we all agree it's probably not a vocal performance to be imitated. Unless you mean "hitting different notes" in that 12-tone kind of way.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1063 on: May 28, 2013, 01:13:15 PM »
Considering all the time this is taking, and the fact that OTE have been in the studio, too, do you guys think it's a safe guess that *maybe* Live at Luna Park is going to be a departure for DT in the sense that they could feasibly be writing their new album while also doing overdubs for the Luna Park film? Like, more overdubbing than usual?

Considering that LSFNY, Budokan, and Score are all sparingly overdubbed (the first two there don't sound good enough to be overdubbed at all), I wouldn't mind at all if DT were spending a little bit more time on Luna Park to get it right. Then again, we already have like a dozen official and semi-official releases documenting how DT sounded on a specific night, so I guess I'm more interested the BluRay being as good as possible from both a performance and sound quality perspective.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1064 on: May 28, 2013, 01:17:11 PM »
Imitating James, Tommy Shaw, Dennis DeYoung, James Young, Mike Portnoy, Lawrence Gowan, Russel Allen, and Bruce Dickonson often helps me create technique for hitting different notes and different types of phrases.

Say what you will about MP's singing, but I think we all agree it's probably not a vocal performance to be imitated. Unless you mean "hitting different notes" in that 12-tone kind of way.

Yeah, I kinda lol'd at this. I don't know anything about you, Atliator, so I'm not giving you crap, but I'm just pointing out that I only know one other vocalist whose influences were derived pretty more exlusively from Dream Theater and prog-oriented artists (for better or worse)...

...And that vocalist is named Nicky Spanjaards :D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1065 on: May 28, 2013, 01:17:16 PM »
I think OTE are in the studio to make a making of the new album DVD.

That's what I want anyway.

Like the one for Systematic Chaos - just without MP mugging and gurning and screaming every 5 minutes.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1066 on: May 28, 2013, 01:19:07 PM »
Or a 'The Making of The Making of the Luna Park DVD'.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1067 on: May 28, 2013, 01:23:51 PM »
" Why is John Myung ? "

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1068 on: May 28, 2013, 01:27:27 PM »
 :rollin

It's just ridiculous that it's taking this long for them to say anything at all but let's hope we really get news soon this time around.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1069 on: May 28, 2013, 05:04:32 PM »
And call me stubborn, but I still know that auto tune was applied through and through on the songs on CiM, and even much worse on the CD version, although I don't think I've heard every single song on the DVD or CD.

But, I thought you studied James' voice all day every day, why would you have not heard every song from the release that you seem to know so much about??
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1070 on: May 28, 2013, 05:20:35 PM »

But, I thought you studied James' voice all day every day, why would you have not heard every song from the release that you seem to know so much about??

I think I have heard every song on the DVD, but I might be forgetting one, and I've only listened to the first few on the CD. Lol there are a LOT of DT videos on youtube.. and these are not the pleasant ones to listen to.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1071 on: May 28, 2013, 05:25:39 PM »

No I mean different types of notes with different personalities, and different pitches as well. Mike has very nice expression and phrasing in his parts, at least in the studio. Sometimes I do derive some vocal influence from him, a lot with backing vocals actually. But no he isn't he most technically proficient singer, nor does he claim to be.

Offline JoshuaB2112

« Reply #1072 on: May 28, 2013, 05:46:28 PM »
Now make a list that includes Japan, Bucharest, When Dream and Day Reunite, Chile, Romavarium, and a hopeful future release from July 2011, which are (and one would be) perfect quality "official bootlegs".

edit: actually, are all of those official bootlegs?

Romavarium is not an official bootleg because it was made exclusively for DT fan club members and was not released by YtseJam records. The rest are though

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1073 on: May 28, 2013, 05:48:54 PM »
Now make a list that includes Japan, Bucharest, When Dream and Day Reunite, Chile, Romavarium, and a hopeful future release from July 2011, which are (and one would be) perfect quality "official bootlegs".

edit: actually, are all of those official bootlegs?

Romavarium is not an official bootleg because it was made exclusively for DT fan club members and was not released by YtseJam records. The rest are though

oh ok thanks!

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1074 on: May 28, 2013, 07:26:10 PM »
Yeah, I kinda lol'd at this. I don't know anything about you, Atliator, so I'm not giving you crap, but I'm just pointing out that I only know one other vocalist whose influences were derived pretty more exlusively from Dream Theater and prog-oriented artists (for better or worse)...

...And that vocalist is named Nicky Spanjaards :D

Um... yep. :lol

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1075 on: May 28, 2013, 07:40:31 PM »
Is the audio on the CiM DVD better than the audio CD's?  I remember the first part of Score CD set sounding worse than the DVD.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1076 on: May 28, 2013, 07:48:14 PM »
Is the audio on the CiM DVD better than the audio CD's?  I remember the first part of Score CD set sounding worse than the DVD.

From what I've heard on it, the CD has much thicker autotune. I mean like it's embarrassingly thick and snappy

Offline adastra

« Reply #1077 on: May 29, 2013, 04:27:33 AM »

Yeah, CiM was painful to listen/watch.  Maybe the worst singing I have ever heard (from a pro).  Roy Khan (Kamelot) @ Wacken 2008 is only one I could think of that could top that.
I stopped listening DT for couple of years after I bought the DVD :D  I don't mean that it was because of Labrie's performance. But it really sounded like crap.
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1078 on: May 29, 2013, 05:09:46 AM »
I honestly have always thought his vox on CIM were pretty good.  Definitely better than Budokan.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1079 on: May 29, 2013, 07:19:00 AM »
I honestly have always thought his vox on CIM were pretty good.  Definitely better than Budokan.

You crazy.  Every time he goes into the upper register on CiM, it sounds like he's been replaced by a (very nasal) robot.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1080 on: May 29, 2013, 07:20:11 AM »
Yup, and Budokan had its good moments, like Trial Of Tears.
- Marco

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1081 on: May 29, 2013, 07:31:36 AM »
I've never had a problem with Budokan.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1082 on: May 29, 2013, 07:45:54 AM »
me neither. I like Budokon, except doesn't it sound like it wasn't recorded very heavy sounding like TOT should be? But I really like that the vocals don't seem touched up- I hope Luna Park is like this one.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1083 on: May 29, 2013, 07:48:56 AM »
Yup, and Budokan had its good moments, like Trial Of Tears.

Actually, I think all of the FII stuff on Budokan sounds excellent vocally. Budokan really got me into that album.

Budokan's vocals aren't bad at all overall. The only outright poor vocals imo are the last two songs, PMU and ITNOG. JLB is sounding really tired and flat by that point, which is understandable after a long show. He also has some flat moments on the other TOT material, but aside from that, I quite enjoy his vocals on it. Overall I think he sounds better on this than LSFNY.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1084 on: May 29, 2013, 08:00:16 AM »
It was not a really bad night, but it wasn't one of the vocals highlight from that tour either. My complaint is that they chose the wrong show for the recording. Had they shot NY or one of the last EU shows nobody would have had anything to say about James's vocals!
- Marco