Author Topic: Yamaha Electronic Drumset Configuration Suggestion  (Read 859 times)

Offline cfmoran13

Yamaha Electronic Drumset Configuration Suggestion
« on: February 01, 2013, 06:59:24 AM »
So, after playing my DTXpress IV drumset as-is since it was purchased 2+ years ago, I've decided to expand it a little bit.  As far as the actual drums, it came with 3 toms (one is a floor tom).  I purchased an additional pad on eBay and am trying to decide if I should go the "2 floor tom" approach or use it as a 3rd tom across the front.

I'm not in a band or anything.  I basically jam along with my iPod.  I had wanted a drum set of some kind for probably 25 years.  And, with limited space in the house (and a 3-year old) at the time, I broke down and bought the electronic set and love it.  Bands that fall into the types with which I play along are Zeppelin, KISS, Metallica, Megadeth, Black Crowes, Tesla.  What would you guys suggest?  I'm kinda leaning towards the 2nd floor tom but can't decide.

Offline philmcson

Re: Yamaha Electronic Drumset Configuration Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 03:55:00 PM »
Depends on what you feel is better. I'd personally add a third tom as with my settings it would be/was always easier to play when I had the choice between three toms or two floor toms. Toms are in front of your hands while for floor toms you need to bend over etc. But maybe some oldschool drummers who watched Ed Shaughnessy and Buddy Rich would opt for another floor tom.... Try both settings and decide for yourself  :)