Author Topic: Heretic's Song Roulette v. A STUNNING CONCLUSION  (Read 40626 times)

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
Re: Heretic's Song Roulette v. THE FINAL FOUR
« Reply #245 on: April 06, 2013, 12:34:32 PM »
(see this is how out of it I've been here, I assumed I had everything...)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #246 on: April 07, 2013, 12:05:47 PM »
Sent :)

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #247 on: April 07, 2013, 08:02:18 PM »
Alright then. Results tomorrow, in that case, haha.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #248 on: April 08, 2013, 02:04:53 PM »
 :metal

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #249 on: April 08, 2013, 02:37:28 PM »
I can't wait to see who wins!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #250 on: April 09, 2013, 08:32:44 PM »
:)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #251 on: April 09, 2013, 08:49:22 PM »
Alright then. Results tomorrow, in that case, haha.

Fail.  I'm assuming double fail since results probably won't be posted tonight.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #252 on: April 10, 2013, 04:24:37 AM »
^^Take it easy. It's not hard to underestimate the effort needed to really listen to a lot of songs. :)

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #253 on: April 11, 2013, 07:25:46 AM »
I think the fail is for not keeping people on task (ie, LLTWM forgot to submit until there was a 1 week bump). And listening to 12 songs is NOT that hard or time consuming.  That shouldn't take almost 2 weeks. I don't know about others here, but I certainly listen to more than a couple of songs a day.  There's also the fail of setting expectations then not meeting them ... Twice.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #254 on: April 11, 2013, 11:36:29 PM »
Listening to 12 songs, writing my thoughts about them, and getting a long, thought-out post typed is something that I just have not had the opportunity to do this week. Finals week is almost here for us and I am swamped with work and deadlines and so many things that I haven't had the time to even post on this forum much less get everything together. The late submission of the songs ended up causing problems because one of the nights that I was free, I ended up not having the songs. I'm sure you've all experience this same sort of bombardment of business before and I'd appreciate it if you didn't delegate it as a "fail" because I simply haven't had the time to post results.

In any case, I will try my absolute hardest to get these done tomorrow. I'm very sorry.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #255 on: April 19, 2013, 09:52:09 PM »
My roulette finale is now basically the Duke Nukem of roulette finales.

Yes.

BUT good news, everyone! Results are being typed as we speak! (Well, not as we speak, as I'm typing this to let you know that this hasn't trailed off into the ether, but yes, they're coming, and coming very very quickly!)

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #256 on: April 19, 2013, 10:52:42 PM »
THE FINAL RESULTS

*drum roll*

AAAAAND HERE THEY ARE!

crazyaga - Stars of the Lid

The three songs you sent to me by these guys were wonderful. Excellent atmospheric songs with so much subtly in how they are conveyed. They're quiet, but they're powerful. They have a slow build up, but nothing overly-dramatic. The textures within the songs are just so intricate and the instrumentation is so beautiful. I particularly loved "A Meaningful Moment..." as it was gorgeous and lush and so dynamic for being so non-evocative. I really liked these guys and would love to listen to a full album, probably this summer during a late night, as this sort of ambient music seems perfect for that. Overall I was quite into these songs and am kind of wishing you had sent me these songs /before/ I lost time to listen to any music, haha. You mentioned when you sent them that it took a bit to get the music, but really I got it right off the bat. Minimalist expression through relaxing and poignant music. Awesome stuff man!

Overall band score: 4/5 + 4/5 + 4/5 = 12/15

---

Zantera - Slint

Interesting that you'd send this band as I've thought about listening to Spiderland for quite some time (not recently though because LOLCOLLEGE) but this stuff was  interesting. I didn't like the vocals at all, though, sadly. They weren't powerful, really in key, enjoyable, nor did they fit the music in a way that excited me. The voice-overs were a bit much, too. I'd have much preferred these songs if they were completely absent of vocals of any sort. The songs didn't really go anywhere, either. In contrast to crazyaga's songs that didn't do much but still felt powerful, these don't do much and feel weak in comparison. Don Aman and Good Morning Captain were hardly distinguishable from each other, which really bored me. In short, I think the praise I've heard for this album doesn't quite live up to what I expected. These three songs, sadly, didn't feel revolutionary in the least. I understand that the band is heradled for some sort of "beginning to post-rock" but what I particularly love about post-rock was essentially absent here. Alas.

Overall band score: 2.5/5 + 3/5 + 3.5/5 = 9/15

---

LieLow - Elliot Smith

Ah yes, Elliot Smith! I've heard tons about him, but have only heard a few songs and none very recently nor can I remember exactly what I heard so I was quite looking forward to hearing these. I love singer-songwriter music and knowing his tragic end a la Jeff Buckley just hurts to know about. In any case, from the first note of Alameda, I knew these songs were going to be ripe with emotion and very beautiful. The lyrics are very powerful in these songs and it is quite apparent that the man just knows how to write a song. The songs have excellent composition and I really like the instrumentation, especially in King's Crossing. Waltz #2 really did feel waltz-y, and I really enjoyed how it was sort of up-beat in a sad way, still. Overall his music is very enjoyable and I will have to listen to a full album or two! Nice.

Overall band score: 3.5/5 + 4/5 + 4.5/5 = 12/15

---

kari - the xx

I've also heard a lot about the xx. Well, I've heard the name passe d around a lot, but nothing really about the music. In any case, when Intro started I knew I was getting in to something good. I really liked the melody there, and the beat was very uplifting. The song kept me engaged and I really enjoyed the electronics present. Crystalised did this well, too. Although I enjoyed the male vocalist, the female stood out the most in this song. The melody was interesting and I loved the dynamic between them. Infinity was quite enjoyable as well! I loved the beat in it, and the female vocals were once again the standout. The song's build up was really good, too, and I loved the ending. Overall the band was really awesome and out of all of the songs here these intrigued me the most. I've entirely convinced myself I'll listen to the full album in the coming weeks. Sweet!

Overall band score: 4/5 + 4/5 + 4.5/5 = 12.5/15

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the winner is... kari! I had a sneaking suspicion that you'd do great in this roulette and I was not wrong. Every round you sent something that engaged me and made me even more excited to hear what you'd send the subsequent round. You stayed near the top throughout the entire roulette and I'm proud to give you the winning medal. Awesome job, man!

To everyone else-- you guys, you rule. The final results were really close (shame no one sent me a 5/5 song!) and so despite the results think of yourselves all as winners, as you all introduced me to some amazing music. I literally enjoyed so much of what you guys sent and you are all such awesome people that it made it hard to actually kick some of you out...

But, yes yes, there you have it folks, the end of my roulette. It was a blast. The ending was way too drawn out, and when I run another roulette you can certainly expect me to do it during either a break from college or during the summer, as I just lost the time to even check DTF, much less work on getting this results up. However, you guys held on, and during the roulette you did a great job at getting things in mostly on time, and sending me some really amazing stuff. I am really thankful you guys participated in this roulette and I look forward to either partaking in your roulettes or having you return in the future. I am very excited to check some of these bands out during the summer and to discover even more from there. Heck, if you guys find any good music in the meantime that you think I'd really enjoy, please PM me, I'm always up for getting more new music!

Overall, awesome roulette, everyone! I enjoyed it a lot, and I hope you enjoye d it as well. I tried to make it fun and engaging, but the wait at the end sort of killed that. I did not expect to gain such a workload in such a short time, even though my college is a tough one. I essentially had to put this on the backburner while I worried about my grades and my health (getting sleep) so, I hope that can be forgiven. Either way, it was fun to run, and once again, thanks for everything, guys! See you guys on the flipside. :heart

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Heretic's Song Roulette v. A STUNNING CONCLUSION
« Reply #257 on: April 20, 2013, 12:57:20 AM »
lame

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #258 on: April 20, 2013, 01:04:25 AM »
Im glad you liked sotl  :D
It was an awesome roulette Heretic,I enjoyed it lots... and congratz Kari!
I love beautiful things.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #259 on: April 20, 2013, 01:20:49 AM »
Ou so close. Glad you enjoyed though. :) Shame you didn't like Slint tons. Spiderland is one of my favourite albums.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #260 on: April 20, 2013, 01:32:16 AM »
Congrats to kári!
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #261 on: April 20, 2013, 02:31:37 AM »
Yay! Glad you likes everything I sent. :) Congratulations also to all the other players, you were very worthy opponents!

Enjoy all the new music Heretic!

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #262 on: April 20, 2013, 11:12:03 PM »
lame

Sorry Jimmy, I still love you, if that's any... consolation.

Im glad you liked sotl  :D
It was an awesome roulette Heretic,I enjoyed it lots... and congratz Kari!

Heck yes! I'm definitely going to listen to full albums by them, they were great! Definitely one of my favorites sent throughout the roulette, really.

Ou so close. Glad you enjoyed though. :) Shame you didn't like Slint tons. Spiderland is one of my favourite albums.

Might I ask, what exactly do you love so much about it? Same goes for Jimmy, do you guys enjoy the atmosphere or the repetition or the really odd sound it has? It just didn't hold for me, which is surely a shame because I was quite looking forward listening to it after being declared as such a classic.

Yay! Glad you likes everything I sent. :) Congratulations also to all the other players, you were very worthy opponents!

Enjoy all the new music Heretic!

I will! And thanks, don't hesitate to rec me any other music you end up finding, you and I have very similar taste!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #263 on: April 21, 2013, 12:36:19 AM »

Might I ask, what exactly do you love so much about it? Same goes for Jimmy, do you guys enjoy the atmosphere or the repetition or the really odd sound it has? It just didn't hold for me, which is surely a shame because I was quite looking forward listening to it after being declared as such a classic.
Well I feel it has sort of a weird atmosphere to it nothing else seems to have. Part of it is because of its odd sound like you mentioned. I don't know, I feel the albums name is really fitting. It is a creepy-ish spider-like feel for lack of a better term. :lol

And I don't know I just love the guitar riffs even though they're nothing I expect everyone else to love as much as I do. I just think some are cool (mostly the ones in Breadcrumb Trail). :metal