Author Topic: Heretic's Song Roulette v. A STUNNING CONCLUSION  (Read 40943 times)

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Heretic's Song Roulette v. ROUND SEVEN RESULTS!
« Reply #210 on: March 21, 2013, 06:16:59 AM »
high five, kari!
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #211 on: March 21, 2013, 11:51:52 AM »
high five, kari!
^5 :)

Also Immanu El, nice.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #212 on: March 22, 2013, 02:13:39 AM »
Song sent.  :angel:

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: March 22, 2013, 05:54:01 AM »
I sent you like 3 PMs last night, I hope you got all of them.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #214 on: March 24, 2013, 02:46:48 PM »
Sent that shit.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #215 on: March 24, 2013, 02:49:38 PM »
Sented.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #216 on: March 25, 2013, 04:41:56 PM »
 :corn

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #217 on: March 25, 2013, 07:33:27 PM »
Results will be posted tomorrow night at the latest, will try and get them up when I'm out of class tomorrow.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #218 on: March 25, 2013, 08:36:51 PM »
 :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #219 on: March 26, 2013, 03:44:41 AM »
Results will be posted tomorrow night at the latest, will try and get them up when I'm out of class tomorrow.

How can you do this when I haven't even sent yet? Please answer my question I posted earlier first, I don't really get how this round works..
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #220 on: March 26, 2013, 04:25:33 AM »
I havent sent my entry as well... :O
I love beautiful things.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #221 on: March 26, 2013, 02:22:05 PM »
SENT!
I love beautiful things.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #222 on: March 26, 2013, 02:25:10 PM »

How can you do this when I haven't even sent yet? Please answer my question I posted earlier first, I don't really get how this round works..

You wager. If you get into the Top 4, you get your wager. If not, you lose it.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #223 on: March 26, 2013, 03:38:37 PM »
Yep, what El Scorpio said. And sorry.. I thought everyone had sent since I had like 342342 PMs.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #224 on: March 26, 2013, 03:40:10 PM »
Oh god I forgot to tell the amount of points wagered. PM now.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #225 on: March 26, 2013, 03:44:55 PM »
Soo... every song/wager in?

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #226 on: March 26, 2013, 03:51:30 PM »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #227 on: March 26, 2013, 04:09:58 PM »
I thought you had to choose whether to wager all of your points or get normal points.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #228 on: March 27, 2013, 03:19:53 PM »
ROUND 8

It really hurts me to post these results, as it means we'll be saying goodbye to a lot of you. Which is really sad, as I've had such a blast this roulette and have heard so many awesome songs. How bittersweet this is...

RANK 9:

Elite
Bruce Springsteen - Rosalita

Kudos for taking a risk in the last round. Not to say that it was for the best, but, still, I appreciate you not playing it safe. However, I have never liked Bruce Springsteen much, and unfortunately, this didn't change that at all. The vocals weren't bad, the melody wasn't bad, but overall the style of the song just isn't my thing, really. It's nothing bad, but it's not something I would regularly (or actively) listen to. The second half of the song was really interesting, though. I would've liked more of that. In any case, good attempt, and once again, I appreciate the risk.

---

RANK 8:

MoraWintersoul
Chroma Key - S.O.S.

Oh man piano intro WOO. I loved the piano in this piece. The melodies were awesome, and knowing the man behind this, I wasn't surprised, really. However, this was certainly the best song you sent me throughout the entire roulette and it makes me want to check out the band a bit more! I like the spoken elements if only for the feeling they provide, and I just love the piano that plays along in the background the entire time. Good song!

---

RANK 7:

Scorpion
Grayceon - War's End

This song was really atmospheric. It went along kind of slowly, but had a sort of brooding feeling to it as it went. I really liked the melodies and they definitely stuck in my head. The vocals were pretty cool, nothing amazing, but still really solid stuff. I was definitely impressed with the atmosphere, though, and I really want to check out this band further! Sweet stuff.

---

RANK 6:

WindMaster
Falloch - We Are Gathering Dust

I loved the music in this. The vocals didn't do much for me, though. It's  not that they were bad..they were just... there. I have listened to a few other songs by these guys before and I'm fairly certain they do harsh vocals? I would have preferred them in this song. Either way, the atmosphere was nice, and I really liked the progression of the song.

---

RANK 5:

Lolzeez
Cult of Luna - Dark City, Dead Man

Not quite sure why you would send a song by a band you've already sent, as that defeats the purpose of the entire roulette, but anyways. The length of this song was fairly intimidating, but, as I love post-metal, I adored this. The apocalpytic soundscape just draws me in so much, and the vocals are fantastic. I love the intensity the songs builds to and the dark melodies it employs to reach such a climax. Awesome song. However, like I said, the choice to send a band I've now actively heard and have been attempting to get into definitely takes points away. Sorry!

---

RANK 4:

LieLow
Demians - Hesitation Waltz

I've heard some really good things about this band and I'm definitely intrigued after listening to this.  I really loved the build up and the atmosphere. The entire song had a really slow-burning yet powerful feeling throughout, and it really drew me into the song. I loved the instrumetation and the vocals, though somewhat subdued, were very interesting. Great song!

---

RANK 3:

Zantera
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Farewell, Mona Lisa

This is probably really unfair because I've already heard this full album a good bit and I love this song, so, whatever, I'm rating it highly anyway because they aren't on the banned list. TDEP have an amazing vocalist and I love the guitarist as well. The riffs are amazing, fast, and engaging. Everything is chaotic, and I think this adds to the immense sound and rapid feeling. However, the slowdown halfway through the song is awesome, and really gives the song room to breathe. Overall, this song is amazing .

---

RANK 2:

crazyaga
Yann Tiersen - comptine d'un autre été

Holy fuuuuu this was absolutely beautiful. Not even that. It was just...breathtaking. Spectacular. Fantastic. Brilliant. I have sucn an intense love of melodic, beautiful compositions such as this and man, this just really hit the spot. What a fantastic song. I want to just keep this on replay all day. Best song you've sent me, hands down.

---

RANK 1:

kari
Kyte - These Tales of Our Stay

As always, I can expect beautiful music from you, kari. This song was gorgeous, just utterly gorgeous. It had an amazing depth to it, and the way it built to such a stunning climax really put me in awe. Such an inspiring, powerful song. I will definitely listen to the full album by these guys. Fantastic.

---

Well, unfortunately we're saying goodbye to Elite, MoraWintersoul, Scorpion, and WindMaster, and Lolzeez. Five people who I have absolutely adored throughout this roulette and who have introduced me to some awesome music. Don't see this as an ending! See it as a beginning. You guys did awesome and I'm so glad I had you in this roulette. If I ever do another roulette with more theme variations and whatnot I definitely want all of you back in this. I feel bad about some of you leaving-- especially Scorpion and WindMaster, as you guys sent me so many fantastic songs throughout the rounds...just, this last one failed to dazzle compared to the other songs. Some parting words:

Elite: You weren't sure how well you'd do in this roulette, and from the start I felt like you were sort of worried you wouldn't do well at all. This was entirely untrue. You stayed near the top for most of the roulette, wavering a few times, but consistently sending me songs that I really enjoyed. I really loved having you for this, man, and I definitely want to be a part of anything like this you run. You did awesome, and seeing as it was really just this round that put you out, I'd say go out with your head held high, bro. Ya' dun good.

Scorpion: As with Elite, I am really sad to see you go. You sent me so many great songs and I really love your music taste. As you said in the PM, our tastes overlap a lot so it is unfortunate that you couldn't always find the perfect song for me. However, I'm glad I had you in this roulette as you're an awesome guy with a great sense of music. Bad luck on this round, but still, you were consistently very good. Keep in touch, dude. :tup

MoraWintersoul: I didn't know you very well before this roulette, and I'm really glad I had you in it. You've got such a distinct taste, and while it doesn't quite align with mine in all regards, you still showed me some interesting stuff and it was great to have such a different perspective for music. In any case, it was good workin' with ya. Farewell. *salutes*

WindMaster: UUUGH I don't want you to go. Your songs this roulette were so awesome. This last round has been much too unkind. Alas, everyone can't win, though, and though it pains me, I have to say goodbye. You did great dude, and after being the champion of your roulette it really hurts me to send ya packin'. In any case, you're a really cool bro, and one of my best friends on this forum. Our tastes are really similar, and we'll definitely have to do this again sometime. *cries a little bit*

Lolzeez: Oh, Lolzeez. You would send me a fantastic song, and then send me something that made me want to go do something else. However, you have a really interesting music taste and I had a lot of fun seeing what you'd send me. This last round was a bit of bad luck for you, too, I reckon. Ah well, it was fun, dude!

I hope you will all stick around to see who comes out on top, and cheer the other competitors on. I know it hurts to lose (trust me, I cam in second on the DTF-wide champions roulette!) However, despite this sad parting, we still have four more finalists ready to duke it out! Put your hands together for...

LieLow
Zantera
crazyaga
kari

I'm impressed, guys. Especially crazyaga-- you've sent me some amazing stuff this round, and then some stuff I wouldn't be upset if I never heard again. Zantera also has sent me a few clunkers, despite being consistently awesome. I'd say LieLow and kari have had the most "amazing" songs thus far, and seeing you four duke it out this round will be the ultimate test. The weight of the final round certainly changed things up quite a bit, and I am certain that this final round will truly bring out the champion once and for all (for this roulette)!

If any of you finalists don't particularly feel like competing in the final, you can switch with one of the knock-outs, just let me know. I'm fairly certain this won't happen, but just in case, y'know.

But alright! Now for the information about the final round!

ROUND NINE

THE BEST OF THE BEST

In this round, I want you four to find a band and then find three particular songs by that band that you think will dazzle me to no end. Songs that you think would make me want to listen to an entire album by the band. There's a rule, though: No bands that have already been submitted this round. Also, make sure the songs you send are somewhat telling of the bands' sound-- or at least two of them. If there's two songs that are typical of the band and then one that is really off the wall, sure, I'll take it. Perhaps you'll even show the diversity of the band doing that!

In any case, no due date for this one, just submit them when you can and I'll get the results up as quickly as possible. It being Easter weekend and the fact that I'm going to Washington DC Friday through Saturday will make it hard to get anything up before Monday, so take that as you will.

Good luck, finalists!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Heretic's Song Roulette v. THE FINAL FOUR
« Reply #229 on: March 27, 2013, 03:40:24 PM »
:'( :'(

Naw, I understand. Like I said, there was a lot of overlap between our libraries, so I was kinda getting into quandaries during the last rounds. Anyway, I had fun, a lot and if I could introduce you to some cool stuff, then all the better. Thanks for running this, and I'm definitely interested in who will win this.

:tup

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #230 on: March 27, 2013, 03:40:36 PM »
Well, this was a cool experience :) If you liked S.O.S, you'll probably like the entirety of Dead Air For Radios, so do check it out when you have time :)

Congrats to the four of you!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #231 on: March 27, 2013, 03:43:02 PM »
Sent :)

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #232 on: March 27, 2013, 03:55:54 PM »
Will need to think a bit about it.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #233 on: March 27, 2013, 03:58:51 PM »
I knew I cant go wrong with that song  :D
I love beautiful things.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #234 on: March 27, 2013, 04:06:56 PM »
Shit. Well,crazyaga that's an awesome song you sent there.  :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #235 on: March 27, 2013, 04:16:10 PM »
Shit, I could have sent about 3 of the 4 songs sent in the top 4 :lol Thanks for having me in, I enjoyed playing and your final write-up of me was very true, I can see the same thing. I hope you'll enjoy some of the stuff I sent you and good luck to the top 4!

And kári, that's a nice song you sent. I just relooked through the results of my roulette, since you sent me the same one. I gave it 7 out of 10, I should go back to it someday :)

Oh, and please, it's 'Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band' and the song is called 'Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)' :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: March 27, 2013, 04:48:59 PM »
ROUND 8

WindMaster: UUUGH I don't want you to go. Your songs this roulette were so awesome. This last round has been much too unkind. Alas, everyone can't win, though, and though it pains me, I have to say goodbye. You did great dude, and after being the champion of your roulette it really hurts me to send ya packin'. In any case, you're a really cool bro, and one of my best friends on this forum. Our tastes are really similar, and we'll definitely have to do this again sometime. *cries a little bit*

:heart :heart :heart :heart :heart It's been really fun dude! You're awesome. :tup And thanks for having me, I look forward to having you in my v. 2 and being in your v. 2.

Also, as Scroppy said, I found it hard to find stuff because our tastes are so similar, but that's awesome.

This last round is going to be intense tho, I'll definitely be following.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #237 on: March 27, 2013, 05:02:46 PM »
Sent.
I sent you one of the very best artists i had the fortune to hear.
I hope youll love them as much as I do.
I love beautiful things.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #238 on: March 27, 2013, 06:10:30 PM »
I LOVE YOU GUYS  :'( :heart :heart

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #239 on: March 28, 2013, 02:56:51 AM »
I LOVE YOU GUYS  :'( :heart :heart
Yeah that's how I felt when I closed mine :hug:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #240 on: March 29, 2013, 11:46:21 AM »
Sent!  :angel:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #241 on: March 29, 2013, 12:09:28 PM »
I'm really gonna think on this one. I can be a bit slow, but I guess it's payed off up to this point. :lol

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #242 on: April 04, 2013, 07:32:46 PM »
BUMP
I love beautiful things.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #243 on: April 06, 2013, 12:29:08 AM »
yeee I'll have the results tomorrow...had probably the busiest week of my life thus far this week.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #244 on: April 06, 2013, 12:32:39 AM »
Shit I still gotta think of something. I'll try to fast!