Author Topic: Ħ's top 22 Dream Theater songs -------#1 REVEALED!  (Read 10580 times)

Offline Ħ

Ħ's top 22 Dream Theater songs -------#1 REVEALED!
« on: January 29, 2013, 09:18:57 PM »
Hello all, I’m here to present my top 21 Dream Theater songs. Truth be told, I don’t listen to Dream Theater as often as I have in the past. When I first discovered them six years ago, I was but a sophomore in high school. I was in marching band and we would participate in many competitions with other schools. Some of the schools were far away and we would spend hours socializing on the bus. During one particularly long bus ride, my friend Chris shared with me some of his heavy metal music. Part of his selection for me was Dream Theater’s "The Glass Prison", "Metropolis", and "The Dance Of Eternity". I was floored by the incredible technical proficiency of these musicians. Dream Theater soon became my favorite band.

I started off by purchasing Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence. I was stunned by the innovative sounds they would employ, like the bell chimes in the intro section of "The Glass Prison", and the orchestra in the title track. I was even more staggered by the variety of tones and moods – every song sounded so unique, standing alone as a powerful statement. Yet the songs themselves could be taken together to form a beautiful tapestry! This is what I came to love about Dream Theater, and progressive music in general.

As I poured through their albums, I sought more and more of their music. Each song’s individuality meant that there was always more to discover.

Then I found DTF, and was exposed to bootlegs, demos, and live renderings of songs. I longed to listen to everything by this band that I loved so much.

Now, I’m sad to say that I am no longer in love with Dream Theater. They will always hold a special place in my heart, but I simply don’t connect with their music like I used to. Besides, there’s nothing left to discover. I know nearly every song by heart, even the demos and live versions. In fact, I have moved away from investing a significant amount of my time in music generally. I find that life has so much to offer, and music is but one of life’s many wonders.

These 21 songs are the ones that I hold closest to my heart. If I had to, I wouldn’t buy DT’s studio catalog all over again, but I would buy these songs. I hope you enjoy my write-ups.

22. "Endless Sacrifice"
"Endless Sacrifice" is one of those songs that you either love or hate. And I have empathy with those that hate it – indeed, I have disliked this song at times. But I’m a sucker for somber, desperate love songs, and that’s what "Endless Sacrifice" is to me. James does an outstanding job of expressing the angry loneliness of the lyrics. The chorus’s energetic forcefulness is what really gets me. It expresses how I feel so well at times when I feel alone that I'm able to overlook any flaws it has. It's emotional hold on me grants it a top 21 spot.

21. "Overture 1928"
People often forget about this song, in light of other behemoths from Scenes From A Memory like "Fatal Tragedy" and "Home". One way you can see its importance is by listening to the album without it.
One of the reasons I love "Overture 1928" is that the band succeeds as acting as a single unit. They paint a very memorable portrait which captures the colors of Scenes without being too cookie-cutter. It’s a definitive statement that you’re in for a ride with this album. Its success at being what it needs to be makes it memorable to me, and so I think it’s worthy of a top 21 spot.

20. "Blind Faith"
I’m happy to see "Blind Faith" getting more praise these days. It's Jordan Rudess at the heart of this song – from the ethereal atmosphere of the introduction to the delicate piano interlude, he succeeds at making this song royal and majestic. I do struggle with the lyrics, which I think are a bit amateur, but they don’t detract much from the overall experience. A solid song that has its unique place in DT’s catalog.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 08:25:18 PM by Ħ »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Ħ's top 21 Dream Theater songs
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 09:27:09 PM »
Cool, 3 great songs right off the bat!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 12:49:34 AM »
Endless Sacrifice, as much as they play it, is still SUCH a beast live.  Overture 1928 is stellar, and Blind Faith is so massively underrated it's damn near criminal.

Awesome start so far, bud! :tup

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 12:58:18 AM »
Good first couple of songs, although neither ES nor O28 would ever come this high in my top 50. Your introduction was really sad, I must say  :-[
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 02:13:21 AM »
Three greats right off the bat! I persinally find O28 to be even better on the album, despite how majestic and uplifting it is on its own. One of DT's best shorter pieces, and easily their best instrumental. It just connects so well with the rest of the album, while the recurring motifs are represented in a way that's both similar to their other occurences and different enough to justify the meaning of the track as a whole.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 02:26:54 AM »
I love those songs. All three are in my Top 15. :tup
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 03:59:56 AM »
Two of those songs are on my list and very high.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 08:47:08 AM »
So you're running both this list and the SW/PT one at the same time? :tup for that, I could only concentrate on doing one list at a time. Anyway, nice start, although Blind Faith is the only one out of those I find exceptionally awesome.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 04:49:11 PM »
19. "The Dance Of Eternity"
Here's a song that gets lots of flak. Well guess what? It's in my top 21! So deal with it.

It's technical, it's wacky, but what I love the most about this song is how fun it is. You try to focus on all the moving parts and you just get lost. It's like not being able to find mommy at the circus. Loads of fun.

18. "Pull Me Under"
"Pull Me Under" is like that friend that is always there for you even though you constantly forget to invite them to your party. It never hit me upside the head with its awesomeness, I was never excited to hear a live rendition or anything like that - I always just forgot about it.

I popped it on one day to reminiscence my Dream Theater glory days, and it blew me away. It's so good. It's powerful and melodic. It's nearly nine minutes long but it feels like five. One of the best tracks off Images and Words.

17. "Hell's Kitchen"
The last instrumental on my list. This song inspires me. It's literally made me go running at the crack of dawn. It's magical and uplifting, and it's one of my favorite songs in general.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:53:56 PM by Ħ »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 04:50:49 PM »
Overture 1928 is something I love blasting when I'm driving in my car.  Great pic!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 07:11:59 PM »
TDOE and PMU?  :\

Different strokes for different folks.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 08:00:12 PM »
6 great songs, and awesome to see The Dance of Eternity up there as well as 3 instrumentals in these 6 songs.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 09:51:35 PM »
Nice choices. I like all of those tracks a lot, but instrumentals don't rank so highly with me, and PMU is an average DT song forme (which is a very high average, mind you).
But I'd say they're all underrated tracks, so it's interesting to see them make a list. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 09:57:27 PM »
Yeah, I'd say PMU is an average song for me too. But after really thinking about it, I couldn't not include it.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 11:32:36 PM »
 :tup
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 11:41:50 PM »
Glad to see HK and BF.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 04:53:24 PM »
16. "On The Backs Of Angels"
When Dream Theater first made this song available several weeks before A Dramatic Turn Of Events, I was very nervous to listen to it. This song was the first musical statement by the band since Mike Portnoy left. I was fearful that since Portnoy was a huge force that affected the band's direction, they would fall apart at the seams musically and we'd be left with just a bunch of technical widdley-diddley with no real concept or meaning behind the music. I am so happy to say that I was wrong. "On The Backs Of Angels" is one of Dream Theater's most powerful statements. It is energetic and technical, yet it manages to be tasteful.  Each of the band members shines out, yet they still work as a single effectual unit. It is for these reasons that I rank it higher than anything off of the three most recent albums.

15. "Honor Thy Father"
This is where we start to get into some very elite territory. "Honor Thy Father" is easily the most ballsy Dream Theater track. From the very intro, it wallops you with mad drum fills, crunchy bad-attitude riffs, and sinister keyboard lines. I don't care about what they say about "The Best Of Times," this is Portnoy's signature song. His best songwriting abilities come out in his rage and this is angriest song he's written.

14. "Take The Time"
No one hates "Take The Time" for a very good reason - it's awesome. Everybody shines. Plus, you have perhaps John Petrucci's tastiest solo. I always get a little swagger in my step when I hear that "doo doo doo WAHHHH WAHHHH wohhhhh". Love it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:54:33 PM by Ħ »

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 06:51:52 PM »
15. "On The Backs Of Angels"
When Dream Theater first made this song available several weeks before A Dramatic Turn Of Events, I was very nervous to listen to it. This song was the first musical statement by the band since Mike Portnoy left. I was fearful that since Portnoy was a huge force that affected the band's direction, they would fall apart at the seams musically and we'd be left with just a bunch of technical widdley-diddley with no real concept or meaning behind the music. I am so happy to say that I was wrong. "On The Backs Of Angels" is one of Dream Theater's most powerful statements. It is energetic and technical, yet it manages to be tasteful.  Each of the band members shines out, yet they still work as a single effectual unit. It is for these reasons that I rank it higher than anything off of the three most recent albums.

This is the first song I heard by DT.  By accident, I say the video and was hooked.

14. "Honor Thy Father"
This is where we start to get into some very elite territory. "Honor Thy Father" is easily the most ballsy Dream Theater track. From the very intro, it wallops you with mad drum fills, crunchy bad-attitude riffs, and sinister keyboard lines. I don't care about what they say about "The Best Of Times," this is Portnoy's signature song. His best songwriting abilities come out in his rage and this is angriest song he's written.

A lot of folks do not like this song very much, but it is bad ass. :metal

13. "Take The Time"
No one hates "Take The Time" for a very good reason - it's awesome. Everybody shines. Plus, you have perhaps John Petrucci's tastiest solo. I always get a little swagger in my step when I hear that "doo doo doo WAHHHH WAHHHH wohhhhh". Love it.

What can you say, great song off a great cd.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 07:44:58 PM »
Interesting update. OTBOA is ok, but I find it to be an incredibly sterile song with no energy. I don't dislike it at all, but it doesn't excite me in the slightest. But your other two choices definitely make up for the lack of energy there!

While I wouldn't rank HTF all too highly, it's a great metal song when I'm in the mood to listen to Train of Thought. Definitely badass, as you put it. :metal

Nice, concise writeup for Take The Time. An excellent song from start to finish. :tup

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 07:47:28 PM »
Three great tunes in the last update, and a pretty solid list so far.  I'll be following because H is my best friend

Offline Ħ

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
I completely forgot about a very essential song, so now I'm going to have 22 songs.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 03:43:42 PM »
I completely forgot about a very essential song, so now I'm going to have 22 songs.

Lost Not Forgotten?
A Nightmare To Remember?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 03:44:34 PM »

Raw Dog, amirite?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 03:44:59 PM »
So the song was Lost and Forgotten?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 04:01:42 PM »
It was Lost Not Forgotten in A Momentary Lapse Of Reason. It nearly gave me a Panic Attack! What a Fragile situation. I will make sure The Incident does not happen again.

Imagine if Oops!...I Did It Again in my Steven Wilson top 50. That'd be a Strange Deja Vu and quite A Dramatic Turn Of Events. That'd put me too Close To The Edge for my taste.

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 04:40:12 PM »
It was Lost Not Forgotten in A Momentary Lapse Of Reason. It nearly gave me a Panic Attack! What a Fragile situation. I will make sure The Incident does not happen again.

Imagine if Oops!...I Did It Again in my Steven Wilson top 50. That'd be a Strange Deja Vu and quite A Dramatic Turn Of Events. That'd put me too Close To The Edge for my taste.

Your post was a Fatal Tragedy. You should get on your Bike and Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 05:20:55 PM »

Your post was a Fatal Tragedy. You should get on your Bike and Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun.
Errr...

THE COUNT OF TUSCANY!!!

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 12:01:31 AM »

Errr...

THE COUNT OF TUSCANY!!!

I wonder if anyone calls the Count of Tuscany "Your Majesty"?

Offline Dacling

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 12:42:44 AM »

Errr...

THE COUNT OF TUSCANY!!!

It seems he needs to keep better track of his...

INVENTORY

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 08:56:41 AM »
ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR!!!
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 10:43:06 AM »
Good to see Take the Time. The other songs are good but not great.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 10:49:09 AM »

Errr...

THE COUNT OF TUSCANY!!!
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 11:12:09 AM »

Nah, man, that's not how it is.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 10:52:12 PM »
13. "As I Am"
The final song from Train Of Thought that makes my list. It's a song that makes me feel like I can obliterate anything in my path. "As I Am" blasts out, loud and proud, cutting down its haters. Even in the fadeout, it's brutal! Plus, that gnarly solo. :metal

12. "Strange Deja-Vu"
A greatly under-appreciated track from Dream Theater's master album. It's essentially a perfect song that's just good at being what it's meant to be. John Myung and James LaBrie shine particularly well - it's got my favorite moments for each of them: the first chorus for LaBrie, and that snazzy VRRROOM bit from Myung.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Ħ's top 22 Dream Theater songs
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 11:04:16 PM »
Nice choices. As I Am has always been one of my favourites from ToT (behind ITNOG, and maybe Vacant, although it's hard to compare them since they're such polar opposite songs). I'd probably rank it top 20 too.
Strange Deja Vu is cool too. That middle section is one of DT's most rockin' sections. As I've said before though, I don't rank most of SFAM that highly individually despite it being my 2nd favourite DT album.