Author Topic: Lowdz' Top 50 albums- No time to rest yet, I will hold this one on high  (Read 54120 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Lowdz' Top 50 albums - Into the top 50- no more messing around
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 06:21:22 AM »
Checking in as a Ten fan.  A buddy of mine (the guy who got me in to DT) burned a bunch of albums onto a CD for me years ago to help me expand my prog tastes.  That's how I discovered Ten (X), Shadow Gallery (Legacy), Vanden Plas (Colour Temple), and a few others that I've never seen mentioned around DTF.

I don't own all their albums, but have Grooveshark'd most of them.  Twilight Chronicles is one I tend to go back to.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2013, 07:57:20 AM »
Wow, haven't heard of much of this stuff so far.  :hat   Will check them out.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2013, 08:23:48 AM »
Checking in as a Ten fan.  A buddy of mine (the guy who got me in to DT) burned a bunch of albums onto a CD for me years ago to help me expand my prog tastes.  That's how I discovered Ten (X), Shadow Gallery (Legacy), Vanden Plas (Colour Temple), and a few others that I've never seen mentioned around DTF.

I don't own all their albums, but have Grooveshark'd most of them.  Twilight Chronicles is one I tend to go back to.

I'm a casual fan of both those bands.

Legacy is good and for VP the best is Far Off Grace.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2013, 08:27:11 AM »
Listening to Vain right now.  Really good.  I can totally see how this makes your top 50, having 20 years of listening experience with this... much the same how Dr. Feelgood and other albums like that made mine.  Listening to it for the first time now, it's good - but not great... given how my musical tastes have evolved.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2013, 01:06:13 PM »
47 Tony Macalpine – Maximum Security (1987)

I was a big fan of T Mac’s first album, Edge Of Insanity, but this follow up was better produced and tighter in the arrangements. A neo-classical tour-de-force with Tony impressing on guitar and keyboards, even throwing in a Chopin Etude to show his classical influence didn’t just come from Yngwie. Special guest George Lynch is featured on a couple of tracks (including the best track Tears Of Sahara), as is Jeff Watson  of Night Ranger. Melody is never sacrificed for speed but Tony is up there with the best of the shredders.

Best tracks- Tears Of Sahara, Autumn Lords, Hundreds Of Thousands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaUAj_qOX1o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kygRtshJJkg&playnext=1&list=PLE99279F341EF0957&feature=results_video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDz5dJv5NMQ

46 Paul gilbert- Flying Dog (1998)

Loved PG from his early Racer X days, loved him in Mr Big and enjoyed his early solo albums- this being his best. Catchy pop songs with catchy riffs and that guitar and PG's sense of humour and his Beatles influence to the fore. PG gets his best tone here too. People say it's similar to Enuff Znuff but I never liked them so make of that what you will. Oh, and the instrumental Gilberto Concerto is an awesome take on Bach.

Best tracks- Down To Mexico, Gilberto Concerto, Get It, Tell The Truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXWdIGtDMiE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7G3kpMsTEU

45 Michael Lee Firkins (1990)

As I said in the op I love the sound of the electric guitar, and especially the sweeped arpeggio. I bought all the shred albums I could in the late 80s and had a hotline to Mike Varney. This guy was different though. There is some beautiful music here that rivals anything Satch has done. There's still plenty of shred but with a bluesy, even country touch, and it's mainly (all?) fingerpicked, chicken- pickin'. And he used the whammy bar to sound like a bottleneck slide. Very tasty album. This guy should be more famous and this should probably be higher up my list! Kind of like a cross between Joe Satriani and Jerry Donahue.

Best tracks- Sargasso Sea (beautiful track)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AR2vMniJfk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89M1XseSZt0

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lowdz' Top 50 albums - Guitars, guitars and more guitars
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2013, 04:54:12 PM »
Just got into Macapline last year and really enjoy his work

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2013, 07:20:17 PM »
That MacAlpine album is beastmode.  FUCKING BEASTMODE.  My only complaint is you left out "Key to the City".  My favorite shred album ever.  Yeah, I said it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2013, 03:41:46 AM »
Prefer Edge of Sanity but Maximum Security isn't far behind.  My favs are actually Key To the City, Kings Cup and Dreamstate.  Just shows how strong this album.  I like Paul Gilbert but I never really explored his solo stuff too much, I have about three of his albums though and they are enjoyable, I'll look into this one.

Michael Lee Firkins is one I also need to get around too.  He has amazing skill.

Great update.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2013, 01:28:51 PM »
Good to see the love for TMac. Seriously great musician.
The PG album is just fun.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2013, 03:11:05 PM »
TMac is seriously one of the most underrated guitarists in the world.  He ranks in my personal top 5.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2013, 04:19:44 PM »
Awesome TMac album!  :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2013, 02:33:38 AM »
44 WASP- Crimson Idol (1992)

I'll admit that the reason I got into WASP in the first place was the single Animal (I F*** Like A Beast)- hey I was 14 ffs. Bought the first album and loved it. Very KISS-like, anthemic simple songs, 80s Metal pure and simple. And so they carried on. The Headless Children album was a bit of a stylistic change where they added a layer of shine to the songs but this is their finest hour. A concept album. From WASP. Yes, that's what I said. A concept album from WASP. And it's really good. It's still WASP but a grown up WASP.  Originally intended to be a Blackie Lawless solo album it tells the tale of Jonathan, an unhappy young man who becomes a rock star and has to work out his father issues. OK it's not original and treads a similar line to Savatage's Streets, but it works and you can feel Blackie's anger and pain in the songs. Bob Kulick rages too.

Best tracks- Titanic Overture, Invisible Boy, The Idol, The Great Misconception Of Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwOo9xyyDkg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5xLJcxU8XY&feature=related

43 Alcatrazz- No Parole For Rock 'n' Roll (1983)

My first exposure to Yngwie Malmsteen was this album, a band put together by Graham Bonnet after leaving Rainbow. I'd read about Yngwie in Guitar For The Practicing Musician magazine in 1984 but had never heard a note by him, but he sounded so interesting that I had to track his music down. For me Yngwie was god for the next 10 years. The production is a bit poor. The Strat through a Rockman guitar sound is incredibly dated now, and was at the time too but there's no doubting the quality of the playing. This young Swede was something else. Where Randy Rhoads had been heading this guy was already there. Pretty soon everyone had to be able to play sweep arpeggios and Harmonic Minor runs. The songs here stand up. Bonnett's voice is a bit Marmite (love it or hate it) but I love it. This is Yngwie's album though. And the outro solo of Suffer Me puts to rest the accusation that the big Swede (though he wasn't in those days!) can't play with feeling.

Best tracks- Island In The Sun, Hiroshima Mon Amour, Kree Nakoorie, Bigfoot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlzDrv6TB_8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAJFFAH1gkE

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lowdz' Top 50 albums - A great misconception and a legend begins
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2013, 05:49:24 PM »
Fantastic concept album from WASP!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2013, 06:09:06 PM »
I had basically checked out on WASP by the time The Crimson Idol came out. I remember buying the cassette, but I honestly don't remember anything about it.

No Parole has aged really well. I actually remember being disappointed in it when it came out.
The guitar solo on Jet To Jet STILL gives me chills!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2013, 08:56:47 PM »

My reaction to that solo:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2013, 02:23:47 AM »
 ;D

My favourite solo is Kree Nakourie. It just keeps going- you think it's coming to an end and the rhythm below changes but the solo keeps going.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2013, 03:45:33 AM »
Great Alcatrazz album, classic.

Crimson Idol was number 16 on my list, it's perfect.  One of the greatest concepts albums of all time, easily.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2013, 06:49:43 AM »
Poetic Justice is easily Lillian Axe's best release. Before and after that I like a song or two off each album. 

So glad to see Westworld mentioned.  I'm basically a fan of anything Tony Harnell has done.  I saw Westworld live here in New York a few years back and his voice is still amazing.  Did you ever check out his side project, Morning Wood?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2013, 08:14:22 AM »

My reaction to that solo:

Oh absolutely. It has really stood the test of time. One of the best guitar solos ever recorded.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2013, 10:18:06 AM »
Poetic Justice is easily Lillian Axe's best release. Before and after that I like a song or two off each album. 

So glad to see Westworld mentioned.  I'm basically a fan of anything Tony Harnell has done.  I saw Westworld live here in New York a few years back and his voice is still amazing.  Did you ever check out his side project, Morning Wood?

I'm a fan of Tony Harnell in general. I've heard MW but never got a copy. I've just realised TNT's Tell No Tales isn't on my list. Probably should have made the honourable mentions at the very least.
Glad to see annother Lillian fan and a fan of PJ.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2013, 10:35:08 AM »

I'm a fan of Tony Harnell in general. I've heard MW but never got a copy. I've just realised TNT's Tell No Tales isn't on my list. Probably should have made the honourable mentions at the very least.
Glad to see annother Lillian fan and a fan of PJ.

He has some new project now, Tony Harnell and the Wildflowers I just saw on his Facebook page.  He never stops making music. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2013, 02:26:28 PM »
42 Alice Cooper- Hey Stoopid (1991)

Alice's hair metal period is my favourite of his, from Raise Your Fist to The Last Temptation, these were excellent albums. Hey Stoopid is the best. Alice gathered a host of guests, the best guitarists on the planet, and some great songs (plus a couple that aren't as good) and polished it to a shine. Guitar-wise, it has Vai and Satriani duelling on Feed My Frankenstein, Satch on several tracks, Vinnie Moore rocking out on a couple of tracks, and Stef Burns isn't outdone either. The closing track is suitably creepy and Alice-like, there's several great ballads, the rockers rock and there is a cast of thousands on the backing vocals. The title track is the worst track on the album and I usually skip it but the rest is quality.

Best tracks- Dirty Dreams, Burning Our Bed, Wind Up Toy, Love's A Loaded Gun, Snakebite, Might As Well Be On Mars, Hurricane Years.

41  Winger- Pull (1993)

Unfairly derided by all and sundry in 1990 (ok some of it was fair. Seventeen was dodgy. Good riff though) , Winger had chops and a progressive edge at times- for an 80s hair band of course. Winger returned to the fray with this harder hitting album. The keyboardist was gone and his parts replaced by acoustics when needed for colour, but this album rocks hard. Reb Beach turns in a great performance, as does Rod Morgenstein, who gets to shine on the outro of Like A Ritual. This is certainly not the Winger of 80s videos. The poodle perms were gone with the keyboards and leather jacket and jeans replaced the spandex. The band went on hiatus after this and Kip Winger moved in a New Age sort of direction (that is excellent too) before reforming in the 2000s in a similar vein to how they'd left it with Pull, but with a bit of a prog metal side. Try this, IV and Karma. You might be surprised.

Best tracks- Down Incognito, Spell I'm Under, Blind Revolution Mad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6DXBrfmIA4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voB0BEcT6ts

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lowdz' Top 50 albums - Feed My love of guitars and a Hair Band grows up
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2013, 04:19:06 PM »
Two incredible albums right here.  I was a big fan of Hey Stoopid also, amazing list of guests indeed.

Pull is my favourite Winger record, it's perfect.  It's mature, well written performed and produced and just great melodic songs that are never over indulgent.  The last two albums were awesome too.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2013, 07:49:06 PM »
Haven't managed to get into Pull at all yet (or anything else past the first album). It feels too serious.
I might try to give it another spin though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2013, 07:54:58 PM »
42 Alice Cooper- Hey Stoopid (1991)

Alice's hair metal period is my favourite of his, from Raise Your Fist to The Last Temptation, these were excellent albums. Hey Stoopid is the best. Alice gathered a host of guests, the best guitarists on the planet, and some great songs (plus a couple that aren't as good) and polished it to a shine. Guitar-wise, it has Vai and Satriani duelling on Feed My Frankenstein, Satch on several tracks, Vinnie Moore rocking out on a couple of tracks, and Stef Burns isn't outdone either. The closing track is suitably creepy and Alice-like, there's several great ballads, the rockers rock and there is a cast of thousands on the backing vocals. The title track is the worst track on the album and I usually skip it but the rest is quality.

Now we're talking!
In the TAC Top 50 V2, Hey Stoopid is a Top 20 album.

I will say with confidence that I am the biggest Alice fan on DTF. This is a GREAT Alice Cooper album. The DT connetion is that Derek Sherinian played on this album and tour. Saw Alice on the Operation Rock n Roll tour twice (Brendan Byrne Arena in NJ and Great Woods in Mansfield Ma) and he blew Judas Priest off the fucking stage!!

Here are the two best tracks on the album. Nice job Lowdz! I'll ignore pick #41.
Wind Up Toy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ_X3nbIv8Q&playnext=1&list=PL6C4ADB5391436F15&feature=results_video

Dangerous Tonight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17IHFr_6yPE

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2013, 08:17:24 PM »
Oh, and for those of you that have never heard Yngwie's Jet To Jet solo..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5_CqMGsE7E
1:48 to 2:45

It's like Michael Schenker on steroids...Holy Shit!

...and why did I reference Michael Schenker?
Check out his solo from 2:14 to 2:35 in Can You Roll Her
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkuljVffgsA

And remember folks, this was 1976!!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 08:33:41 PM by TAC »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2013, 02:11:18 AM »
I had tickets for the HS tour and was excited to see my favourite guitarist, Vinnie Moore, as he'd been in Alice's band for the US tour. I only found out he'd been replaced by Ryan Roxie when the band took the stage. To say I was gutted was an understatement.

And TAC- Pull is a great album.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2013, 02:14:31 AM »
Alice's 70's stuff is very cool, but I find Poison as a crime against life.

Maybe I'll check out Hey Stoopid someday, I like Feed My Frankenstein.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2013, 03:32:21 AM »
I'll ignore pick #41.

That's a big mistake.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2013, 03:46:22 AM »
Alice's 70's stuff is very cool, but I find Poison as a crime against life.

Maybe I'll check out Hey Stoopid someday, I like Feed My Frankenstein.

As a "moving with the times" album (as Alice does), Trash was a fine album of Bon Jovi-ish radio friendly rock. And that's a big part of my musical heritage so I'm fine with it. It's not Alice Cooper- there wasn't the element of dread that much of his stuff has, but it was the 80s and everyone was happy  ;D, even Alice obviously!

Hey Stoopid was a much better album than trash, just don't judge it by the title track.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2013, 03:48:06 AM »
Trash was a killer melodic rock record, I love it.

Offline Lowdz

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2013, 03:54:08 AM »
I will say I didn't like Pull on first listen.  I just couldn't really find my footing with it and songs like Incognito where just not what I expected.  I put it away and got it out again at a later date when I was ready, and I fell in love with it.  It's definitely a grower, but the persistance pays off.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2013, 05:20:57 AM »
Oh, and for those of you that have never heard Yngwie's Jet To Jet solo..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5_CqMGsE7E
1:48 to 2:45

It's like Michael Schenker on steroids...Holy Shit!

...and why did I reference Michael Schenker?
Check out his solo from 2:14 to 2:35 in Can You Roll Her
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkuljVffgsA

And remember folks, this was 1976!!
:eek

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2013, 01:08:46 PM »
40 Kane Roberts- Saints & Sinners (1991)

I was a big fan of Kane in Alice Cooper's band and got his first solo album which was half killer/half filler. This follow up album is much better. Roping in Desmond Child and pretty much the crew that recorded Alice's Trash album helped. It's very much in that album's vein too. Slick, well-produced AOR with audible guitars and Kane's tough but tuneful voice. Nothing fancy, just a great AOR album. This album always comes out when the sun is shining here, which is about twice a year... I know some of you stopped reading as soon as Desmond was mentioned, but we all need some melody  in our lives, right?

Best tracks – Twisted, Dance Little Sister, Fighter, Does Anybody Really Fall In Love Anymore (yes, the Cher tune)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zptjLv43Hiw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY_jCBKkE6E&feature=relmfu

39 Van Halen- fair Warning (1981)

I'm not the biggest VH fan to be honest. I found their albums to be patchy at best despite being short too. This one is no exception in the leength stakes. Almost every track is a winner but I do usually skip the synth instrumental and the last track One Foot Out The Door isn't great. The first 7 tracks make up for that though. Some of Eddie's best riffs are here and the tapping and harmonics are as good as ever. I don't even know what EVH is doing in the intro but it sounds cool. The Brown sound is perfect on this album. If I could get a guitar tone somewhere between this and George Lynch I'd be happy. Even Dave is on top of his game. A great, fun, awesomely played album.

Best tracks- Mean Street, Dirty Movies, Sinner's Swing, Hear About It Later, Unchained, Push Comes To Shove, So This Is Love

38 Avantasia- The Scarecrow (2008)

I became an Edguy fan with the Mandrake album and was impressed with Toby Sammet. I enjoyed the first two albums in the Avantasia story but this one had better songs and bigger riffs. This is a metal opera with several singers playing different parts- the story is incidental really but tells the story of a lonely Scarecrow. Toby works the different singers well, in fact Jorn sounds better here than on his own albums. The cast list is a who's who of Eurometal, testament to Toby's standing. Alice Cooper as the Toymaster is the best Alice song since the Hey Stoopid album. Toby knows how to write a ballad too. The title track is as good as melodic metal gets really. You'll be hooked in by the Celtic opening which winds in and out of the song too. A stormer of a track with slow parts, heavy parts and Jorn being Jorn. Toby caught some flack for this album as some felt it was too commercial, and it's certainly more melodic than it's predecessors, but is that a bad thing? Not to me. There's variety here rather than just a double bass drum marathon.

Best tracks- All of it. Even the ballads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-PkfKZAT6E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_QpA-11feI
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 01:14:38 PM by Lowdz »