Author Topic: Lowdz' Top 50 albums- No time to rest yet, I will hold this one on high  (Read 53857 times)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lowdz' Top 50 albums- Stand by for excitement & we're halfway to heaven
« Reply #175 on: February 11, 2013, 04:49:01 PM »
Just catching up on the list, a lot of stuff I haven't heard but Flying In A Blue Dream is a great album.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #176 on: February 12, 2013, 09:18:50 AM »
Ahh, back online after a power cut last night.

Glad to see love for UITE- and Mora, if you like GFL you should like the rest of it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #177 on: February 12, 2013, 09:48:38 AM »
Hmmmm, no Blue Tears yet.  *slightly disappointed*

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #178 on: February 12, 2013, 09:59:32 AM »
Unleashed In The East is a tremendous  ::)  "live"  ::)  album! 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #179 on: February 12, 2013, 10:39:34 AM »

You are joking, right?  :biggrin:

I'm surprised there is someone on DTF who even knows who Blue Tears are!  :lol

Erm, I'm not a fan. The singer trying so hard to be 80s Jon Bon Jovi killed it for me.  Might've liked 'em if he just sang normally.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2013, 12:35:13 PM »

Erm, I'm not a fan. The singer trying so hard to be 80s Jon Bon Jovi killed it for me.  Might've liked 'em if he just sang normally.

There were a couple of good songs on that first CD they released.  But yes, the singer sounded like a JBJ clone and when they sang together they sounded like Def Leppard.  Their singer died a few years ago I read.

I know all of those cheesy 80s bands: Spread Eagle, Pretty Boy Floyd, Valentine (though their CD was really good),  Tora Tora, Kik Tracee, etc.    ;D     There were a couple of great local bands that never made it past being local (NYC/NJ area):  Law and Order, American Angel, Xenon, Mr. Reality (later Sam Hill and then Highway 9).   

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2013, 12:42:11 PM »

There were a couple of good songs on that first CD they released.  But yes, the singer sounded like a JBJ clone and when they sang together they sounded like Def Leppard.  Their singer died a few years ago I read.

I know all of those cheesy 80s bands: Spread Eagle, Pretty Boy Floyd, Valentine (though their CD was really good),  Tora Tora, Kik Tracee, etc.    ;D     There were a couple of great local bands that never made it past being local (NYC/NJ area):  Law and Order, American Angel, Xenon, Mr. Reality (later Sam Hill and then Highway 9).

I like that Spread Eagle album, and Tora Tora and Valentine were ok. PBF were just terrible. Saints & Sinners and Great King Rat are a couple of the lesser known lights that were actually good. Not heard those other bands you mentioned.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #182 on: February 12, 2013, 12:56:17 PM »
Hugo is basically a Steve Perry clone.  He actually auditioned for Journey back when Steve first left the band but they thought it was way too creepy that he looked and sounded like Steve.   :D

Thunder, Little Angels, Love/Hate, Manitoba's Wild Kingdom, Electric Angels and Electric Boys just came to mind also.  I'm trying to remember all the cheesy mix tapes I used to put together.  :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2013, 01:20:33 PM »
I like the first Thunder album but found them a bit same-y after that. Electric Boys the same- one great album and downhill from there. Little Angels were the UK's answer to Bon Jovi  :omg: but they were ok too.

The others you mentioned didn't do anything for me.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #184 on: February 12, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »
20 Royal Hunt- Fear (1999)

This album was a big surprise. I'd heard of them and that they were Yngwie-ish so when I chanced upon the album I gave it a go. So glad I did because it stunned me. Neo-classical in approach but the songs were the stars, and they are long songs- not DT long but there's 7 tracks clocking in at 49 minutes. The intro is creepy- a very weird religious bloke quoting a Bible and the opening track opens gently. Of particular note is the vocals of John West; a stunning, powerful performance. Big riffs, shredding guitars and keyboards and you can hear the bass too. Their best album for me but they are always solid performers. I prefer the albums with John West though.

Best tracks- Fear, Lies, Follow Me, Cold City Lights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZWz-Xpb0UU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yljl4_k9BCw

19 Vicious Rumors- Digital Dictator- (1988)

From a time when Power Metal was allowed to use minor keys and it just meant metal that wasn't Thrash. This was a Shrapnel label release and Vinnie Moore had played on the debut. Mark McGhee is the featured guitarist here and he rips. This is basically Warning era Queensryche style Metal with big gang backing vocals. A great vocal performance from the late Carl Albert (RIP) too, in the same ballpark as Halford and Dickinson. A couple of good albums followed but this was their best.

Best Tracks- Worlds & Machines, Condemned, Town's On Fire, Minute To Kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRCSnYTsREI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi6hHEN5jSA

18 KISS Alive II (1977)

My first favourite band. General consensus is that Alive was the better of the live albums but not for me- this album covers the Destroyer-Love Gun period which is my favourite. The sound is brighter and the songs better. The cover was better too. Embarrassing admission time- me and my brother and sister used to play concerts to this album. Thank got there were no smartphones in those days to record the carnage. I love the faster version of God Of Thunder, but could have done without the (mercifully) short drum solo. The extra studio tracks are ok too. Like other bands I've mentioned, the studio albums never captured the energy of the band but this album does. Again, how much is live is open to debate but it doesn't matter. Crank the album, close your eyes and you're there. Oh, and in the chorus of Shout It Out Loud, Paul Stanley sings “turn it up Paul Lowder” (my name) so it was fate that I loved this band.

Best tracks- King Of The Night-time World, Makin' Love, Shock Me, Tomorrow & Tonite, I Stole Your Love, god Of Thunder, Rocket Ride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHiTMd-Pc3I

Oh, and the other thing that drew me in?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lowdz' Top 50 albums- Into the top 20
« Reply #185 on: February 12, 2013, 02:05:58 PM »
I'm not that familiar with that Royal Hunt album to be honest, need to check it out more.

I've heard a few Vicious Rumors songs and they were pretty good, but I didn't know Vinnie Moore played with them, I'll need to check this out too.

And not a Kiss fan at all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #186 on: February 12, 2013, 02:22:11 PM »
I'm not that familiar with that Royal Hunt album to be honest, need to check it out more.

I've heard a few Vicious Rumors songs and they were pretty good, but I didn't know Vinnie Moore played with them, I'll need to check this out too.

I thought all Aussie's were KISS fans  :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: February 12, 2013, 04:17:02 PM »
Just listened to that Vicious Rumours yesterday. Outstanding album and I think one of the best pure metal albums of the 80's. Love Kiss too! Only know abit from RH with DC Cooper; but sounds good.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #188 on: February 12, 2013, 04:18:46 PM »
Kiss Alive II was the first album I bought. And when you opened the double album and saw that stage!!!!! :eek

I have literally never heard a Royal Hunt album, and never tried Vicious Rumors. But you give the VR a great write up. I may have to check that one out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #189 on: February 12, 2013, 04:31:37 PM »
Hey Lowdz- is that pic of Vai in your avatar from the cuttin' heads duel at the end of Crossroads?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #190 on: February 12, 2013, 04:35:47 PM »
Hey Lowdz- is that pic of Vai in your avatar from the cuttin' heads duel at the end of Crossroads?
Definitely from Crossroads!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #191 on: February 12, 2013, 04:37:16 PM »
OH...just remembered House of Lords. 

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #192 on: February 12, 2013, 04:42:50 PM »

:tup zang!  :tup

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #193 on: February 12, 2013, 11:13:17 PM »
Alive II is by far my least favourite of the Alives. Alive! is of course the classic, and Alive III has a great mix of old and new tracks, plus killer production, but I just can't listen to Alive II. The songs are all too fast and lose their vibe completely.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: February 13, 2013, 02:45:12 AM »

I thought all Aussie's were KISS fans  :lol

Most are, but not me.  ;D

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #195 on: February 13, 2013, 02:55:18 AM »

It certainly is. I love that duel. I was so disappointed when I bought the soundtrack and it wasn't on there.

And to Progsnob- Demon's Down was in the first couple of drafts of this list but missed out in the end. Very good band but every other album seems to drop in quality.

And good to see plenty of regard for the Vicious Rumors.

To Blob- that's the reason I like Alive II- the songs are faster and to me they benefit from that. All 3 Alive's are great though.

And I must learn how to do a multiple quote!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #196 on: February 13, 2013, 03:21:37 AM »
I heard that Vicious rumors album is pretty awesome, I've been planning to give it a listen for more than a year now, ever since I saw these guys opening for Hammerfall. Too bad I've been delaying it for so long...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #197 on: February 13, 2013, 04:16:58 AM »

And to Progsnob- Demon's Down was in the first couple of drafts of this list but missed out in the end. Very good band but every other album seems to drop in quality.

I was a big fan of Sahara. 

There is a band - their name escapes me - whose singer reminds me of Tony Harnell.  I know this is a vague description but I very rarely hear Tony Harnell sound-alikes. 

Oh and one of my favorite bands from the era who I usually do not lump in with the usual cock rock bands is Tyketto. They put out a couple of good quality albums IMHO.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #198 on: February 13, 2013, 04:23:30 AM »

I was a big fan of Sahara. 

There is a band - their name escapes me - whose singer reminds me of Tony Harnell.  I know this is a vague description but I very rarely hear Tony Harnell sound-alikes. 

Oh and one of my favorite bands from the era who I usually do not lump in with the usual cock rock bands is Tyketto. They put out a couple of good quality albums IMHO.

Looks like we have a good musical compatability  ;D I love Tyketto. First two albums were very good. Forever Young is one of my favourite songs of all time. Last year's album was ok without having any great standout tracks.

And I'll have a think about your mystery singer... First guess would be Mike Matijevic from Steelheart? He sang on the Rockstar soundtrack.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #199 on: February 13, 2013, 04:29:39 AM »
I heard that Vicious rumors album is pretty awesome, I've been planning to give it a listen for more than a year now, ever since I saw these guys opening for Hammerfall. Too bad I've been delaying it for so long...

You know what to do  :biggrin:  :metal

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #200 on: February 13, 2013, 04:44:16 AM »

Looks like we have a good musical compatability  ;D I love Tyketto. First two albums were very good. Forever Young is one of my favourite songs of all time. Last year's album was ok without having any great standout tracks.

And I'll have a think about your mystery singer... First guess would be Mike Matijevic from Steelheart? He sang on the Rockstar soundtrack.

:D   

It's not Steelheart.  I had a couple of their CDs back when they first came out.  I'll check out one of the AOR/melodic rock sites.  I'm sure with a little bit of searching I can find them.

Speaking of Tyketto...what did you think of the band Tall Stories? 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #201 on: February 13, 2013, 04:46:21 AM »
To Blob- that's the reason I like Alive II- the songs are faster and to me they benefit from that. All 3 Alive's are great though.

I think Alive! definitely benefited from the faster tempos, because some of those studio versions were really lethargic and piddly, but the Alive II era stuff was better recorded in the studio than the first 3 were, so I think they actually lost something live, especially stuff like Calling Dr Love, Shock Me and Hard Luck Woman, which sound perfect on the album. Calling Dr Love has rarely sounded good live imo. The studio version just has that perfect sleazy rock groove to it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #202 on: February 13, 2013, 05:38:13 AM »

I think Alive! definitely benefited from the faster tempos, because some of those studio versions were really lethargic and piddly, but the Alive II era stuff was better recorded in the studio than the first 3 were, so I think they actually lost something live, especially stuff like Calling Dr Love, Shock Me and Hard Luck Woman, which sound perfect on the album. Calling Dr Love has rarely sounded good live imo. The studio version just has that perfect sleazy rock groove to it.

Opinions eh?
I woould have classed CDL as the example of a ploddy song sounding better for being played faster  :biggrin: Not a great song to begin with  for me. In fact my idea of a great KISS setlist is so far away from what they think it's not even funny.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #203 on: February 13, 2013, 01:33:48 PM »
17 DIO - Last In Line (1984)

Hopefully the voice of Metal needs no introduction. I was a fan of RJD's time in Sabbath but found both albums to have too much filler to feature in this list. The first DIO album made a big impact on me and contains great songs but album number 2 has the consistency. 3 and 4 are rather splendid too. Anyway, Viv Campbell was shredding away in those days. The great man's lyrics are pretty cheesy and formulaic but there's That Voice.

Best tracks- Egypt, One Night In The City, Evil Eyes, Mystery, Eat Your Heart Out

16 Danger Danger- Screw It! (1991)

I'd heard of the band and their well-regarded debut album but hadn't heard it when this album came out. A lot of fans don't rate this as highly as the more AOR debut but I prefer it. It is a definitive Hair Metal album, in fact I think it was referred to as Cock Rock at the time due to the dodgy lyrics. What it does have is as good a guitarist to ever grace a hair metal album in Andy Timmons. I like the tongue in cheek humour and Steel Panther pretty much base their act on this album. The ballads are pretty standard fare but do their job, and there is a nice show-off segment for Mr Timmons too, plus an intro with Ginger Lynn and “friend” getting frisky before the excellent Monkey Business kicks off with one of my favourite riffs ever and a nice widdly widdly solo. They brought out a fantastic album a couple of years ago (Revolve) too that's well worth checking out and featured in Wolfking's top 50.

Best tracks- Monkey Business, Beat The Bullet, Comin' Home, Crazy Nites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDWnYW7NSRQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRX2yXlNJkM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezTOooepcf8

15 Marty Friedman- Introduction (1994)

When I bought Marty's Scenes album I was expecting something along the lines of Dragon's Kiss, a metal shredfest basically. What I got was a New Age album of Asian-sounding beauty. Very little shredding at all but it was a great piece of music. The follow up, Introduction, was more of the same  but everything was better. The samples were replaced by real strings and that helped. This and Scenes are my go to chill-out albums. Slightly off topic but Marty has the weirdest picking stroke I've ever seen and I can't believe he plays so well like that.

Best tracks- take your pick. They are all great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74k1TRq2r9Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiIx4gWUEBk&feature=related

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
Re: Lowdz' Top 50 albums- Voice of Metal, Cock rock & New Age
« Reply #204 on: February 13, 2013, 01:40:19 PM »
OMG MARTY FRIEDMAN :O :O :O :O :O
My sister had the CD "True Obsessions" by him, and it made him one of the first musicians I REALLY listened to and cared about his music.
I remember days when I just closed all the lights in my room and listened to Escapism from that album you have there ;3
I love beautiful things.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: February 13, 2013, 01:42:51 PM »
That Dio album is perfect and is often underrated due to Holy Diver, but I think I might prefer Last in Line to Holy Diver.

I think the Danger Danger debut is miles better than Screw It, but that's because the debut is more melodic rock vs Screw It being more hair infused.  Andy Timmons is such a beast.

I think that's the only Marty Friedman album I don't have bar the recent ones, I'll have to check it out, the rest of his stuff is amazing.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #206 on: February 13, 2013, 01:52:54 PM »
My sister had the CD "True Obsessions" by him, and it made him one of the first musicians I REALLY listened to and cared about his music.
I remember days when I just closed all the lights in my room and listened to Escapism from that album you have there ;3

The opening track on TO is awesome.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #207 on: February 13, 2013, 01:55:22 PM »
That Dio album is perfect and is often underrated due to Holy Diver, but I think I might prefer Last in Line to Holy Diver.

I think the Danger Danger debut is miles better than Screw It, but that's because the debut is more melodic rock vs Screw It being more hair infused.  Andy Timmons is such a beast.

I think that's the only Marty Friedman album I don't have bar the recent ones, I'll have to check it out, the rest of his stuff is amazing.

I agree with everything you said except about the debut being better.  :biggrin:
D2 are always excellent live too.
Never enjoyed any of Ted Poley's solo stuff- he and the albums always sounded flat to me. He comes alive in D2 though.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #208 on: February 13, 2013, 02:02:38 PM »
That's one fine Dio album. I love some of the songs, some of those don't excite me as much, but it's very enjoyable overall.  :tup

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #209 on: February 13, 2013, 02:06:32 PM »

The opening track on TO is awesome.
TO is awesome in general
I love beautiful things.