Author Topic: Lowdz' Top 50 albums- No time to rest yet, I will hold this one on high  (Read 53926 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Lowdz' Top 50 albums - The teacher, the student and the storyteller
« Reply #140 on: February 09, 2013, 07:46:09 AM »
It's funny, Steve Vai has been in several bands I like, and his albums are always among my least favourite from each artist. Just not a fan of him. Give me 5150 any day. I'm not a big fan of Slip of the Tongue either.
A Little Ain't Enough and DLR Band are my favourite DLR albums, although Yankee Rose is an awesome song. :tup

I quite like Slip, but it's not a Whitesnake album for me. I hated it initially but when I saw it in that light I enjoyed it more.
I do love the A Little Aint Enough album- Becker is on fire, but EE&S wins easily for me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #141 on: February 09, 2013, 07:48:31 AM »
It's funny, Steve Vai has been in several bands I like, and his albums are always among my least favourite from each artist. Just not a fan of him. Give me 5150 any day. I'm not a big fan of Slip of the Tongue either.
A Little Ain't Enough and DLR Band are my favourite DLR albums, although Yankee Rose is an awesome song. :tup

I quite like Slip, but it's not a Whitesnake album for me. I hated it initially but when I saw it in that light I enjoyed it more.
I do love the A Little Aint Enough album- Becker is on fire, but EE&S wins easily for me.

I think I'm overdue for giving EE&S and Skyscraper another chance, actually.
I like a few songs on Slip of the Tongue, but I don't think it's a strong follow up to 1987, and I even think Restless Heart is a much better album (an album that I'd also say needs to not be viewed as a Whitesnake album to be enjoyed properly, since it wasn't supposed to be Whitesnake anyway). But I digress.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #142 on: February 09, 2013, 08:00:27 AM »
I like a few songs on Slip of the Tongue, but I don't think it's a strong follow up to 1987, and I even think Restless Heart is a much better album (an album that I'd also say needs to not be viewed as a Whitesnake album to be enjoyed properly, since it wasn't supposed to be Whitesnake anyway). But I digress.
Blob, we completely agree on this :|

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2013, 08:02:19 AM »

I wouldn't take you for a Whitesnake fan. :tup

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #144 on: February 09, 2013, 08:36:55 AM »

I agree with all except RH. Never liked that album- found it a bit too laid back. It certainly had a couple of decent tracks but nothing that makes me want to go back to it. I'd put Slip well behind 1987, Saints & Sinners, Slide it In.

With regard to Skyscraper, I was really disappointed in that album at the time. Now I can appreciate a few of the songs but didn't like it back in the day.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2013, 08:45:05 AM »

I agree with all except RH. Never liked that album- found it a bit too laid back. It certainly had a couple of decent tracks but nothing that makes me want to go back to it. I'd put Slip well behind 1987, Saints & Sinners, Slide it In.

With regard to Skyscraper, I was really disappointed in that album at the time. Now I can appreciate a few of the songs but didn't like it back in the day.

I can totally understand that with Restless Heart. It's not a hard rock album, and it's not going to be for every 'snake fan. Usually it's not the kind of thing I'd enjoy much either, but the songwriting is strong, and I love Coverdale's voice, and the production is excellent too.
There's nothing I'd pick out as an essential Whitesnake track, but it's a consistent album that I can easily put on and listen to from start to finish without skipping anything.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2013, 09:35:05 AM »
First mention of a Magnum album in a top 50.  First mention of a DLR album in a top 50.  First mention of FiaBD in a top 50.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2013, 10:30:46 AM »
First mention of a Magnum album in a top 50.  First mention of a DLR album in a top 50.  First mention of FiaBD in a top 50.

Surprised by FiaBD tbh. There will be  few firsts in this top 50 methinks  ;D

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2013, 10:53:17 AM »
Satch has only been mentioned three times.  Once for Is There Love in Space?, Crystal Planet, and now Blue Dream.
Winger would be better!

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #149 on: February 09, 2013, 11:03:44 AM »
Satch has only been mentioned three times.  Once for Is There Love in Space?, Crystal Planet, and now Blue Dream.

Three worthy albums. :tup
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #150 on: February 09, 2013, 12:00:19 PM »
27 Marillion- Clutching At Straws (1987)

A friend turned me onto Marillion, and he'd bought the album because he loved the cover (Script For A Jester's Tear- original vinyl days remember). I am a Fish-era fan really, and am only just starting to digest the SH era. Clutching At Straws is the best of the Fish era for me, but I loved them all. Fish's lyrics were always intriguing to me, but I guess they were more transparent here. It seems more of a guitar album too, and I could listen to Rothery tuning up and be impressed all day. And there's Incommunicado which I love, and just an album of great songs.

Best songs- Incommunicado, White Russian, Warm, Wet Circles, Slainte Mhath, Sugar Mice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TWlFsvubwo

26 Survivor- Vital Signs (1984)

Eye Of The Tiger isn't a great song, but Survivor produced much better material than most are aware of and for an AOR/Pop Rock album this is as close to perfect as the 80s produced. Some of you might need to hold on to your stomachs there's so much “cheese”, and I can't say the lyrics strike a chord or anything- it's all very wuss-like. The production is dated now but the quality of the songs stands up. No filler here, just easy listening rock music you'll find yourself singing along to. Jimi Jamison has a great voice for this stuff. There's nothing special in the performances to be honest, no shred guitar, no great riffing; in fact the Rhodes piano is as prominent as the guitar- hence the dated sound. Still, great songs are great songs. This album comes out every summer.

Best tracks- Can't Hold Back, High On You, The Search Is Over, Singer Not The Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUEN4i0nr1A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUv4wFz_bag&feature=related

25 Yngwie Malmsteen- Concerto Suite In Eb Minor (1998)

I looked forward to this from the moment I heard the meastro was working on it. Yngwie's neo-classical stylings with an orchestra? Oh yes. And it doesn't disappoint. I'm not familiar with enough classical music to know if he's stealing motifs or not and anyway, the great composers themselves did it. I love that there is no rock band in there, no drums metalling things up, just the orchestra and Yngwie. The emphasis is on Yngwie's guitar of course, (when has it not been?) but the orchestra is doing more than just playing the keyboard support role. There is interaction between the two in the melodies. I believe he's working on a follow up and I'll take that over his Metal stuff these days.

Best tracks- Vivace, Presto Vivace, Fugue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9wYFVPFytw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8kYC5D_lBc&feature=related  sorry could only find the live version

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lowdz' Top 50 albums - Prog, AOR and Neo Classical meets the real thing
« Reply #151 on: February 10, 2013, 03:36:17 AM »
Classic Survivor album, incredible and surprising Yngwie pick (the DVD is amazing too) and I've never been too big on Marillion. 

Loving this top 50 btw, could possibly be my fav so far.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #152 on: February 10, 2013, 03:55:15 AM »
Classic Survivor album, incredible and surprising Yngwie pick (the DVD is amazing too) and I've never been too big on Marillion. 

Loving this top 50 btw, could possibly be my fav so far.

Wow! High praise indeed.  :blush

I love the concert suite. Bought the dvd from Japan when it came out- that wasn't cheap!

Don't imagine there will be too many DTFers who love the Survivor...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: February 10, 2013, 04:11:35 AM »
Vital Signs! Great album! I personally prefer Too Hot Too Sleep, but Vital Signs is a very consistently good album.

But Eye of the Tiger IS a great song.

I'm a big Survivor fan, but only the Jamison era stuff. Love his solo stuff too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2013, 04:17:31 AM »
I'm not that familiar with most Survivor albums to be honest.  I should check out more.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2013, 04:24:16 AM »
Check Out Too Hot To Sleep. It's just as strong as Vital Signs imo, but a bit heavier, and with excellent production. For some reason, I've never liked When Seconds Count, despite being pretty much identical in feel to Vital Signs.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2013, 04:27:34 AM »
Great picks wih CAS and Vital Signs.  I wore both out on cassette.  Vital Signs head to toe is a great album.  Not a weak song on it and I agree with Blob, Too Hot For Sleep is a great record as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: February 10, 2013, 04:27:46 AM »
Will check that one out.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #158 on: February 10, 2013, 04:32:54 AM »
Wolfie, check out this song from THTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VQdK_OTjBs
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #159 on: February 10, 2013, 04:41:40 AM »
I agree about THTS being a great album, and you should check it out Kade. And I didn't rate WSC either.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: February 10, 2013, 04:48:00 AM »
Alright, it's added to the list.  I'll check that link tomorrow, it's bed time, night gents.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2013, 08:57:13 AM »
Ah...finally an album I truely love.  Clutching at Straws is timeless, glad to see any love it gets.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #162 on: February 10, 2013, 12:55:27 PM »
24 Iron Maiden- Killers (1981)

I wasn't a big fan of the 1st Maiden album with the exception of a few songs, and it was a mate who got me into this one. I was in love with this album for a few years. Devoured it, wore it out- in fact my vinyl version's cover is rather battered (a few years later I started buying protectors). Great album- a classic- the stories drew me in and inspired me to write stories of my own as a young teen. No weak tracks here, even the instrumentals are essential. Today I still love it, it's my go-to IM album. The guitar work is excellent and I always loved Clive Burr's drumming. Even Di'Anno puts in a great performance, though I didn't exactly miss him when he “left”- he was the weak link and Maiden certainly traded up in that department. I used the cover as the basis of my Art portfolio at school. I drew/painted so many versions of that cover that there were times I couldn't bear to look at it! All's forgiven now.

Best tracks- Killers, Wrathchild, Murders In The Rue Morgue, Twilight Zone,

23 Mean Streak (1983)

A mate had a copy of Earthshaker and said I had to hear it. He was right. At the same time Meanstreak came out so I bought it. Loved the cover and loved the album. Dave Meniketti has a great voice and I love his playing, bluesy and lyrical. Another one of those filler-less albums and a crystal clear production from Chris Tsangarides. This was a classier album than Earthshaker and a step up from Black Tiger (but I hadn't heard that album at this point). A few months later I saw them live for the first time at the Donington Monsters Of Rock festival, and they were a favourite band from then on. Every album up to the awful Contagious was a winner. Ten is great too and nearly made this list.  A great live band- saw them 4-5 years ago in a sweaty club in Manchester and it was a great gig. RIP Phil Kennemore.

Best songs- Meanstreak, Midnight In Tokyo, Lonely Side Of Town, Hang 'em High, Sentimental Fool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W0iCAa361o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8TlLKQ9nKk

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lowdz' Top 50 albums - NWOBHM classic and ride the bullet through Tokyo
« Reply #163 on: February 10, 2013, 01:06:32 PM »
Interesting Maiden pick, great album.

Y&T are such an amazing underrated band.  Mean Steak was definitely one of their best, my three favs were Ten, Earthshaker and Mean Streak.  Dave is such an underrated singer and guitar player.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2013, 02:04:46 PM »

Y&T are such an amazing underrated band.  Mean Steak was definitely one of their best, my three favs were Ten, Earthshaker and Mean Streak.  Dave is such an underrated singer and guitar player.

You didn't sleep long!

I loved all original the Y&T albums before the hiatus except for Contagious- man that was their crap album. Just about every band has at least one.

And with Maiden it's the album I keep going back to. I like TNOTB, love PoM and Powerslave but they went downhill rapidly for me after this. I know others don't agree and really love CSIT and SSoaSS but they were only half good to me. And from FotD onwards I lost contact with them completely until they reformed with Bruce.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: February 10, 2013, 02:17:28 PM »
great picks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: February 10, 2013, 05:03:02 PM »

You didn't sleep long!

I loved all original the Y&T albums before the hiatus except for Contagious- man that was their crap album. Just about every band has at least one.

And with Maiden it's the album I keep going back to. I like TNOTB, love PoM and Powerslave but they went downhill rapidly for me after this. I know others don't agree and really love CSIT and SSoaSS but they were only half good to me. And from FotD onwards I lost contact with them completely until they reformed with Bruce.

I think I managed to get 6 hours max, had to start work early this morning.

Yeah, Y&T have been pretty consistent, although Contagious is dissapointing, I like the title track though.

I might have to get Killers out again, haven't listened to it in a long time.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #167 on: February 11, 2013, 02:11:57 AM »
Killers  :metal! That album kicks ass and balls!

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: February 11, 2013, 07:34:23 AM »
absolutely love Killers...favorite Maiden album for me

Y&T...love some songs others just seem to lose me , this seems to go for all their albums if I had to rate individual songs by them

1- FOREVER

everything else

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #169 on: February 11, 2013, 08:09:27 AM »
Best update of the list so far!!

Mean Streak is such a great album. Made my Top 50 as well. Black Tiger is right behind it.

I'm with you wkiml, Forever is their best song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #170 on: February 11, 2013, 11:46:26 AM »
22 Judas Priest - Unleashed In The East (1979)

Another of my mates was a big Priest fan but they had kind of passed me by when I watched the vhs of the Live Vengeance 82 show and that hooked me in. Although I was a big fan of a lot of the songs, the albums didn't sound lively enough to me. Although the authenticity of this live album is called into question there was finally a decent energy to the songs and a ferocity the studio versions didn't have. The vinyl I bought has the bonus ep with more songs which really shoulda been there to start with. This should have been a double album but at least now the expanded version is available. Anyway, these are the default versions of these songs for me. But no Beyond The Realms Of Death? I'd take that over Rock Forever. Every metal fan should own it.
If I was to go for a favourite studio album it would be a hard call between Screaming For Vengeance and Defenders of The Faith- finally Priest sounded like they were supposed to in the studio.

Best tracks- everything but especially The Ripper, Sinner, Tyrant (so much better than the studio version), Running Wild, Delivering The Goods, Diamonds & Rust

21 Europe- Prisoners In Paradise (1991)

If I'm in a melodic rock kinda mood this is  one of those go-to albums.
I wasn't the biggest fan of the TFC album at the time- I thought it was one dimensional and wimpy. I've changed my mind on that since-it's a good album (but far too many Woh- ohs – every song has them). The follow up wasn't great either and I missed John Norum, but this album is a great slice of melodic hard rock. The sound is tougher than the previous two but certainly not a return to the metal of their early albums. There's plenty of shredding from Kee Marcello and the riffs are just better than before. Joey Tempest's voice is a thing of beauty on this album-his tone is like having Charlize Theron licking your ear...  :blush
If all you've heard of Europe is TFC and its many singles give this a try. You never know. The re-release has bonus tracks from the demos the record company rejected (the fools) which is worth it.

Best tracks- Half way To Heaven, Seventh Sign, Prisoners In Paradise, Bad Blood, got Your Mind In The Gutter, Girl From Lebanon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eeJID5QeLg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVyYrrJ000k

And Big Hath- don't tell me- 1st time Europe have been in a top 50?  :rollin

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #171 on: February 11, 2013, 01:15:22 PM »
And Big Hath- don't tell me- 1st time Europe have been in a top 50?  :rollin

Correct!
Winger would be better!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lowdz' Top 50 albums- Stand by for excitement & we're halfway to heaven
« Reply #172 on: February 11, 2013, 01:21:25 PM »
What a fantastic live album.  It's pretty much perfect as is, but I agree, if BTROD was added it would have entered another stratosphere.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: February 11, 2013, 03:24:57 PM »
Yeah, I never understood why Realms wasn't included, it would have made it the perfect album.  Although it's dubbed 'unleashed in the studio' I still love it.  Decent Europe album too.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #174 on: February 11, 2013, 04:01:17 PM »
*peeks in* I liked Girl From Lebanon when I was wee(er). I think I still like it, would have to replay to check :metal

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise