Author Topic: Lowdz' Top 50 albums- No time to rest yet, I will hold this one on high  (Read 52744 times)

Offline Lowdz

Well I guess one way to start is to preface this with a bit of history.

Music wasn't a big deal for me until my teens. The only two songs I remember “being into” from my childhood are Paper Lace's Billy Don't Be A Hero (which left such an impression on the young me that I don't volunteer for anything!), and ABBA's Eagle. Football was my thing. And comics.
I used to see adverts for KISS in the comics I read and didn't even know they were a band, but once I saw an album of theirs (Unmasked in 1980) I had to have it. I never looked back.
One of my schoolfriends had older brothers who were bikers and into Metal, and I became exposed to it through them.
Then one day I was at said mates house and his brother showed  me a certain album in a reverential  “you're ready for this now” kind of way. My time had come.
I fell in love with the sound of the electric guitar and I've been in love ever since. Big riffs, sweep arpeggios, whammy bar histrionics- I love it, but I can appreciate a nice clean guitar too. Safe to say there won't be any electronica here. Sorry.

So onto my top 50. I had to set some ground rules for myself just so it wouldn't be filled with the discogs of 3-4 groups and a top 10 filled with DT albums, so I was a bit brutal and limited it to 2 albums per group. That means a lot of great albums have been left out. After 30-odd years and thousands of albums heard, choosing 50 is almost impossible. One thing I noticed, most of these were chosen because of the impact they had on me as I look back over those 30 years, so it was difficult to include newer music – maybe next time. It's just so hard in the limited time I have available for albums to make that same impact as when music was the biggest thing in my life.

Following Wolfie's lead I'll cheat and start with 5 albums I couldn't fit in my list but had to be here. I've never been good at sticking to the rules so it's a top 55 I guess. A Top 100 probably wouldn't be enough to be honest.
Right let's get this party started.

Facing The Animal

The last great Yngwie Metal album for me. He concentrated on the songwriting here and came up with a varied Hard Rock album. Mats Leven is on powerful form with the vocals but he's helped by some of Yngwie's best vocal melodies. The guitar playing is to the usual standard, as you would expect, but there's a bit more variety to it than he's shown since. The album is also notable for being the great Cozy Powell's last recorded performance.

Best tracks- Sacrifice, Alone In Paradise, Only The Strong, End Of My Rope

Westworld- S/T (1999)

This project brought together two talents of the hard rock world in Mark Reale (RIP) of Riot and Tony Harnell, helium fuelled vocalist of TNT. An excellent album of melodic hard rock with a hint of the Euro Metal sound. Great performances all round. This just beats out Harnell's other project, Starbreaker, maybe just because I've had it longer, but it's a very similar beast tbh- the Starbreaker is probably just a touch more metal. Great guitar playing, great vocals, big choruses and some good keyboard colour too. A classy album all round really, with good use of light and shade.

Best tracks- Illusions, I Belong, Heart Song, Bring The Water, Shame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWPEuGDGw74
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsjFNUIxN1A

Bat Out Of Hell

Well, what can I say about this album that hasn't been said? It's a bombastic, absurd, funny, heartfelt masterpiece. I defy anyone not to sing along with the title track. I dare say a few DTF-ers will not agree, but it is an all-time classic for good reasons. Todd Rundgrun is the unsung hero here. His production and guitar playing are top drawer.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 02:24:56 PM by Lowdz »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Lowdz' Top 50 albums
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 03:09:20 PM »
sweet, a new list!  Can't wait to see what you include.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 03:11:59 PM »
I've been slowly drifting away from the kind of music that you like, but I'm still very excited for this list.

There better be some Savatage :P
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 03:14:10 PM »
Following on the edge of my virtual seat.

Will check Westworld later tonight.  Not familiar with it, and dinner is on the stove right now.  No pic for Yngvie?

Gotta run!!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 03:16:31 PM »
Following on the edge of my virtual seat.

Will check Westworld later tonight.  Not familiar with it, and dinner is on the stove right now.  No pic for Yngvie?

Gotta run!!!

There is on my screen. There are two covers I believe. I've included the original which is the version on my cd.

And Scorp... not telling...

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 03:20:20 PM »
Wait...someone else is familiar with Westworld?  I thought I was the only person who heard of them.  I don't remember exactly how, but I found them through the band Ice Age, although they aren't terribly similar.

I've never been good at sticking to the rules so it's a top 55 I guess.

After seeing this, I was really disappointed that this wasn't in the honorable mentions:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 03:26:17 PM »
Wait...someone else is familiar with Westworld?  I thought I was the only person who heard of them.  I don't remember exactly how, but I found them through the band Ice Age, although they aren't terribly similar.

I've never been good at sticking to the rules so it's a top 55 I guess.

After seeing this, I was really disappointed that this wasn't in the honorable mentions:

I was a big fan of early TNT so that's how I came across Westworld.
And VOA is pretty good but I'm not the biggest Sammy fan.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 04:23:32 PM »
There is on my screen. There are two covers I believe. I've included the original which is the version on my cd.

Ok, that was weird.  That album cover wasn't rendering for a really long time.  not sure why my PC had trouble displaying it.

Carry on.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 04:43:01 PM »
The Sammy Hagar thing was more of a joke.  That's the album with "I Can't Drive 55"

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 04:46:55 PM »
Dayum!  Those Westworld tracks were fantastic.  I see money leaving my wallet in droves during this thread.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 05:15:13 PM »
I love some sellers at the amazon marketplace.  I was wondering what Westworld was going for because OOP albums are either dirt cheap or rediculously expensive.  One person is trying to sell a used copy of Westworld's second album Skin for $100, and someone else is selling a new copy for $21.  Makes me think I should list any CD I own that isn't signed for $100 just to see if someone is actually that stupid to buy it.

It's been forever, but IIRC I preferred Skin to their self-titled.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:42:14 PM by Dr. DTVT »

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 05:20:40 PM »
This is gonna be fun.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 06:43:34 PM »
Really looking forward to this. 

Facing the Animal is top Yngwie, really incredible album, every song is bascially a highlight.

And I always meant to check out Westworld once I discovered Harnell in Starbreaker, will do now.

Many albums here are going to be added to my long, long list.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 06:47:06 PM »
Really looking forward to this. 

Facing the Animal is top Yngwie, really incredible album, every song is bascially a highlight.

And I always meant to check out Westworld once I discovered Harnell in Starbreaker, will do now.

Many albums here are going to be added to my long, long list.  :lol

Have you unwrapped Imaginaerum yet?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 06:48:56 PM »
No.  :lol

EDIT:  Actually, it's unwrapped, I just haven't listened to it once.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 12:43:47 AM »
This will be a great top 50. Lowdz has awesome music tastes

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 02:25:54 AM »
The Sammy Hagar thing was more of a joke.  That's the album with "I Can't Drive 55"

yeah I got it  ;D

Still not a bad album though.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 06:11:20 AM »
This will be a great top 50. Lowdz has awesome music tastes

WOOOOOOO!!!!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 06:18:01 AM »
OK, yeah, I'm down with this  :hat

Offline Lowdz

Re: Lowdz' Top 50 albums - last of the "nearly made it"s.
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 07:46:10 AM »
Last of the "almost made it"s. Onto the real top 50 after this.

Warmen- Beyond Abilities

A great Neo-Classical power Metal album from the keyboard player of Children Of Bodom. His dayjob does nothing for me at all but this is more like it. I like the samples from Amadeus, the movie and it shows a sense of humour, especially the quote that opens the album- “A young man, trying to impress beyond his abilities. Too much spice. Too, umm, too many notes”. And what follows is exactly that. Only Janne Wirman and his friends have plenty of ability. Mainly instrumental but with a couple of vocal tracks. Oh, and did I mention Timo Kotipelto from Stratovarius guests on it? One track (Dawn) has some growly vocals but that's what the skip button was invented for, right?

Best tracks- Beyond Abilities, Trip To,  A Singer's Chance, Confessions, Salieri Strikes Back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtUcllgYJi0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8GPhtmZxFg

Giant- Last Of The Runaways

A band formed from renowned session players, featuring the stunning guitar and great vocals of Dann Huff and the keys of Alan Pasqua. A great example of AOR songwriting that still doesn't sound dated. From the solo guitar intro through 11 great songs. Some uptempo numbers, several ballads. It all sounds crystal clear and there is not a note out of place as you would expect from such noted session players. For fans of Journey, Bon Jovi etc.

Best tracks- I'm A Believer (not the Monkees song!), I'll See You In my Dreams, Shake Me Up, Hold Back The Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iug0X6cJDDM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np-M9Gi7FTo

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: Lowdz' Top 50 albums -last of the "nearly made it"s.
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 08:00:53 AM »
Fuck yes Warmen :metal Janne Wirman is quite amazing, and that is my favorite album of his. Kim Goss really killed it on the Heart cover, kudos to her.
The following album was a mess though. And I still haven't heard Japanese Hospitality.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 08:14:44 AM »
Oh for the love of Pete.  We're not into the real list yet, and I've already got 3 bands/albums to dig deeper in to.  Giant has always been on the fringe for me (I've always had and loved I'll See You In My Dreams), and a band I know I need to look into, but now you've forced my hand.

:getoffmylawn:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 08:25:03 AM »
Oh for the love of Pete.  We're not into the real list yet, and I've already got 3 bands/albums to dig deeper in to.  Giant has always been on the fringe for me (I've always had and loved I'll See You In My Dreams), and a band I know I need to look into, but now you've forced my hand.

:getoffmylawn:

Don't worry, there will be plenty of more familiar stuff as we go. It's certainly not a top 50 of stuff no-one has heard of- well, maybe some of the younglings might not have heard of much but the rest of ya will be alright. Going to need a v2 to do a comprehensive list though (shudders).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 10:33:35 AM »
Definitely following!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 10:37:52 AM »
I bought Beyond Abilities and Accept the Fact by Warmen when I was still a huge Janne/COB fanboy, haven't listened to either album (or Bodom, for that matter) in ages.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 11:42:10 AM »
Fuck yes Warmen :metal Janne Wirman is quite amazing, and that is my favorite album of his. Kim Goss really killed it on the Heart cover, kudos to her.
The following album was a mess though. And I still haven't heard Japanese Hospitality.

Japanese Hospitality is ok- there are more songs than instrumentals and I do prefer the instrumental side tbh so it's not an album I go to alot. The covers are pretty good. I didn't mind ATF, cetrainly the instrumentals are up to scratch.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 01:48:53 PM »
Following.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 03:05:41 AM »
Warmen are excellent, that and Unknown Soldier are incredible.

I only discovered Giants first album not long ago and I'm glad I did, it's incredible.  Chad, you know what to do.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 03:21:06 AM »
Ok, into the top 50 proper.

50 Vain- No Respect (1989)

Ok, here's one I don't expect many to know. I bought this blind in 1989, basically from the cover (though frankly the cover is pretty shite). I was going on holiday and I saw this in the record shop on the way to the station. Picked it up knowing nothing about them other than they were obviously a glam/sleeze/hairmetal band judging by the cover. I was blown away by the songs and the production. It was way above the usual stuff from the genre and the songs had depth to them. Kind of a less punky G'n'R. Twin (sometimes triple- frontman Davy Vain takes some solos) guitars, playing different but complimentary parts and Davy Vain's identifiable vocals make these songs. They're not doing anything new but they were doing it well- and many of the Scandinavian melodic rock bands that came after have taken a bit of Vain I'm sure.
I saw them support Skid Row at the time and they blew SR off the stage.
Interesting fact, mainman Davy Vain produced a Death Angel album. And a certain Paul Northfield produced this gem so you know it's going to sound good.

Best tracks- all of them really, but Beat The Bullet, Secrets, Who's Watching You, Icy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQrpgsiSIU4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrnpmEx7ZCo&feature=related

49 Ten- Spellbound (1999)

A British band for those who don't know. They'd released a few albums of pomp/AOR/almost progressive hard rock prior to this but this one shortened the songs a bit and tightened things up and added a Whitesnake 1987/Thin Lizzy Thunder & Lightning vibe to the early Magnum style. Songwriter Gary hughes has a habit of “borrowing heavily” now and again and he does it here on one track, recycling (ahem) Yngwie's Crystal Ball, but it doesn't detract from an excellent album. Guitarist Vinny Burns is all over this album and he's been a big miss on the last few. The earlier albums (The Robe, Name Of  The Rose) are also worth checking out, and either of those could have been here to be honest.

Best tracks- Fear The Force, Spellbound, Red, We Rule The Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BpXJVdmmtI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVEIfSHW6yw

48 Lillian Axe- Poetic Justice (1992)

It was a tough choice between this and Love & War (think Pyro-era Def Leppard), their 2nd album and it could have gone either way really. Some great riffs, a great cover, some nice acoustic segues and Stevie Blaze's pseudo-classical soloing is kinda reminiscent of Nuno. Singer Ron Taylor has pipes too. They are kinda like a more metal Ratt with a better singer. Some of the lyrics are a bit Christian, but then there's a song about doing twins... ahem, so that's a bit confused.

Best tracks- No Matter What, Living in The Grey, Innocence, True Believer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHnRps1qA7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2chxYhe6cus[/img]

It was a tough choice between this and Love & War (think Pyro-era Def Leppard but more rock, less pop), their 2nd album and it could have gone either way really. This album has some great riffs, a great cover, some nice acoustic segues and Stevie Blaze's pseudo-classical soloing is kinda reminiscent of Nuno. Singer Ron Taylor has pipes too. They are kinda like a more metal Ratt with a better singer. Some of the lyrics are of a  Christian perspective, but then there's a song about enjoying the company of twins... ahem, so that's a bit confused. The following album they went in a heavier direction and that was great too.

Best tracks- No Matter What, Living in The Grey, Innocence, True Believer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHnRps1qA7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2chxYhe6cus
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 02:45:29 PM by Lowdz »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 03:23:30 AM »
Warmen are excellent, that and Unknown Soldier are incredible.

I only discovered Giants first album not long ago and I'm glad I did, it's incredible.  Chad, you know what to do.

The follow up was pretty good too!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lowdz' Top 50 albums - Into the top 50- no more messing around
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 03:28:31 AM »
Okay, I need to check Lillian Axe and Vain, but Ten I'm a big fan of.  I'm actually surprised to see a Ten album here Paul from you, I knew you were a fan, but not a top 50 type of a fan.

To be honest, Spellbound isn't one of my favs, I'd much prefer Rose, Robe or even Far Beyond the World.  Nevertheless, Ten are very underrated rock.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 04:56:31 AM »
Okay, I need to check Lillian Axe and Vain, but Ten I'm a big fan of.  I'm actually surprised to see a Ten album here Paul from you, I knew you were a fan, but not a top 50 type of a fan.

To be honest, Spellbound isn't one of my favs, I'd much prefer Rose, Robe or even Far Beyond the World.  Nevertheless, Ten are very underrated rock.

I never really went for FBTW- it just didn't click. Need to return to it. Rose and Robe are up there with Spellbound- not much in it. I just liked the Celtic vibe and the Whitesnake 1987 vibe. Surprise me a bit that they made the top 50 but I just couldn't swap them out for the other albums on the very long list. If I put more than 2 albums per band they wouldn't be anywhere near I guess, but I am a big fan.

As for Lillian, try Love & War, this one and Psychoschizophrenia, they are all good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 05:06:29 AM »
I always found the Whitesnake influence on the title track pretty funny too.  FBTW seems to be regarded as one of Ten's weaker albums and I never understood why.  IMO, it has some of Gary's best and most consistent work.

Saying that though, I got most of their albums around the same time, so I should give Spellbound another listen.  It just seemed that one and Babylon got lost in the pack for me.  I actually liked Chronicles too, and Stormwarning was killer too.  The new one was pretty hit and miss for me.  Had some of Gary's best work along side some of his weakest songs IMO, still a decent listen though.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 05:17:16 AM »
I always found the Whitesnake influence on the title track pretty funny too.  FBTW seems to be regarded as one of Ten's weaker albums and I never understood why.  IMO, it has some of Gary's best and most consistent work.

Saying that though, I got most of their albums around the same time, so I should give Spellbound another listen.  It just seemed that one and Babylon got lost in the pack for me.  I actually liked Chronicles too, and Stormwarning was killer too.  The new one was pretty hit and miss for me.  Had some of Gary's best work along side some of his weakest songs IMO, still a decent listen though.

Have you heard the Gary Hughes solo track Blonde Angel? That is so Coverdale it's funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RgVLpwLHbg

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2013, 05:27:51 AM »

Have you heard the Gary Hughes solo track Blonde Angel? That is so Coverdale it's funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RgVLpwLHbg

:rollin  At first I thought it was Looking for Love, and then it kicked into Crying in the Rain.  :lol  Good song though, I love Gary's work, I especially love looking for his 'influences' while listening.