Author Topic: Anyone wanna do some DT covers?  (Read 3270 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Anyone wanna do some DT covers?
« on: October 21, 2021, 11:51:52 PM »
Years ago, a bunch of us on the old forums at DT.net were going to work remotely and record parts to some DT songs, and have someone edit them all together.  That feel through because people just didn't have as easy access to be able to make decent recordings.  But times have changed, and the technology is a lot more accessible.  So that being said, is anyone interested in collaborating and doing some DT covers?  If we can pick some songs and have guitar, drums, bass, and keys, there are a lot of songs I would be interested in contributing vocals to. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

Re: Anyone wanna do some DT covers?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 12:13:29 AM »
I'd love to bring my bass playing to the mix as long as you don't pick one of those super technical songs that would require me to practice my butt off for the next 15 years to properly play :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 01:33:48 AM »
I'd bloody love to record some guitar but I have no decent equipment to record.  Whatever I do for my YouTube videos sounds pretty poor.

Damn I'd be down for this though.  I'd be able to somewhat tackle most songs, I think.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 02:21:55 AM »
I'd love to bring my guitar to the project, except uber speed shredding stuff :D
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 05:04:50 AM »
I'm down, as long as I have enough time to practice and make sure I clean up the parts.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Skeever

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 05:08:21 AM »
Might be worth reaching out to some of the posters in this thread that I had started a little while ago: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=56174.0

We fell off the wagon after a while, but it was good fun while it lasted. I would be happy to contribute a part and be part of a compilation, I'm sure many others would be as well. I'm thinking like an "ensemble" cover where you might have different people taking different parts.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 08:41:51 AM »
Totally down to help out on drums for songs like Wait For Sleep, Through Her Eyes, Vacant, Beneath the Surface, or songs in that vein.   ;) ;D

In all seriousness, I'm down to do drums for anything, but mostly from the earlier stuff, since that's what I'm most familiar with in terms of drumming.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 09:05:44 AM »
I'd love to bring my bass playing to the mix as long as you don't pick one of those super technical songs that would require me to practice my butt off for the next 15 years to properly play :biggrin:

Same here. Unfortunately that means they can't pick 95% of DT songs  :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 09:18:25 AM »

So you aren't Myung in disguise then!
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 11:17:54 AM »

So you aren't Myung in disguise then!

Yes I am. We actually use super realistic holograms for the shows. Literally no human could play like that for several hours straight.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 04:11:43 PM »
I'm down to participate on guitar.  :tup

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 04:14:02 PM »
Most definitely.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 09:14:47 PM »
Not clear on who plays what.  Do we have bass and keys? 

Any nominations for songs? 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 09:17:10 PM »

Two bass players here :tup

Now, whether or not we're up to the task is a different story :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2021, 09:22:24 PM »
I play bass and drums. I’ve been meaning to learn more Dream Theater on bass.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Obsidian Pancake

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2021, 09:31:56 PM »
I'd love to contribute on guitar and/or drums. How much collaboration would you take in a song? One person handles all the rhythm parts, or split between distorted and clean, or split by difficulty, etc.

What do you think about also doing some where everyone adds a little bit of personal flair? Maybe a different tone, or different take on a part?

For song nominations:
If we did "The Mirror" no one would would suffer death by guitar or keyboard solo.
If we have a shred head available, I think "Invisible Monster" is a great one!

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2021, 10:09:35 PM »
I'm a fairly competent guitar player. I'd love to be involved with this in some way. My problem is I'm not the most confident in my abilities when it comes to Dream Theater. I'd have to do some serious brushing up/studying on whatever song or songs I would be involved in. There are some songs I can do kinda all the way through but I mostly can just do snippets. Crimson Sunrise/Innocence/Carpe Diem intro I can do. Maybe Caught in A Web and Peruvian Skies. TDEN intro. Probably some others I'm not thinking of at the moment. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2021, 10:26:32 PM »
I can do guitar and bass

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2021, 08:22:22 PM »
Geez sorry for the threadkiller  :lol

Not clear on who plays what.  Do we have bass and keys? 

Any nominations for songs? 

Something pretty easy like The Mirror sounds reasonable

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2021, 08:40:50 PM »
I'll do drums.

Highway to Hell?
 Does that work for everyone? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2021, 08:41:59 PM »
There’s an idea

AC/DC songs done in the style of Dream Theater

AC/DT