Author Topic: Bad Albums that you love one song off of but hate the rest of the album.  (Read 1459 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
So today while I was food shopping today and a song came on that I love and I though how I never listen to the album.  Thought it would be a good thread.  This album is Yes Open Your Eyes and I love the title track but the rest of the album does nothing for me and I never listen to it.  I use the title song in playlists but none ever get played.

Name me some bands and albums that you have that same vibe.  Bad album but one great tune.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Man-Erg

Re: Bad Albums that you love one song off of but hate the rest of the album.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 02:03:45 PM »
A good thread. I'm not fond of Signals by Rush, but I absolutely love Subdivisions. The Musical Box is the only great track on Nursery Cryme (The Return of the Giant Hogweed is nice, but not that great). And yes, definitely, the only track worth listening on Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull is the title track. The rest really sucks.

Offline krands85

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 02:08:38 PM »
This is quite rare for me, there are usually at least a couple of tracks I like. But ones that come to mind are:

Biffy Clyro - Only Revolutions. Love their first few albums and I was getting really excited about this one after hearing 'That Golden Rule'. I love that song, but the rest of the album is awful. Their new album seems much better, though still not a patch on their older stuff. Only listened to it a couple of times, but there don't seem to be any great tracks on it, like That Golden Rule.

Another one would be Seasons in the Abyss by Slayer. The title track on that album is awesome, but I don't really like the other stuff. Though that's more because of the fact it's a bit different from their usual style which I'm not really a fan of, rather than it being a bad album overall.

Also thought of St. Anger by Metallica. Terrible album, but again the title track is OK. Would be a stretch to say I "loved it" though  ;D EDIT: After listening to this again for the first time in ages, it's actually worse than I remember. Still better than the rest of the album though
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 02:15:09 PM »
The Funeral by Band of Horses, from the album Everything All The Time

Spanish Sahara by Foals, from the album Total Life Forever
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 02:27:58 PM »
Between the Buried and Me - The Silent Circus - "Mordecai"
I really don't care for this album, most of it's unlistenable actually, but "Mordecai" is a pretty good track and a good look at their future.

Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink - "Nine Feet Underground"
Most of this album is a combination of totally cornball lyrics ruining some decent music, but "Nine Feet Underground" is mostly instrumental so it manages to survive.  And it is totally awesome, almost good enough to save the rest of the album.  Almost.

Amorphis - Far From The Sun - "Day Of Your Beliefs"
Rest of the album is pretty blah, but this song stands up there with other great Amorphis songs.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 02:59:40 PM »
The black angels - Directions to see a ghost - "You on the run"

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 03:21:02 PM »
Tears for Fears - Sowing the Seeds of Love - Sowing the Seeds of Love
The Cure - Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me - Just Like Heaven
The Cure - Wish - Friday I'm in Love
Duran Duran - Duran Duran - Ordinary World
Blondie - Parallel Lines - Heart of Glass

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 03:43:30 PM »
A few that comes to mind:

Anathema - Serenades
Not extremely bad, but very boring. "Sleepless" is a fantastic song, but the rest of the album is pretty meh to me. It's not that I don't like Doom or harsh vocals either, but it's not that well executed IMO.

Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
I really love "In the Presence of Enemies Part 1" which I think is one of the best modern DT-songs. "Constant Motion" is pretty great as well, but the rest of the album is pretty boring to me. I could have also mentioned Octavarium or BCSL, but this album works better in the context, though the others are very uneven to me as well.

Iron Maiden - Virtual XI
On one hand you have "The Clansman" which is not only the best song on the album, but one of the best songs the band has done. On the other hand you have a really bad album. Getting through it is a chore. "The Angel and the Gambler" might have been a good track, if the chorus hadn't been repeated 74 times throughout the song.

Metallica - Death Magnetic
"That Was Just Your Life" starts off the album really well. A great song and I don't mind it at all. The rest of the album is almost impossible to sit through. To me the whole album screams a band doing an album 100% the way the fans would want it to sound, with no energy or quality put into it. There are some other songs that aren't all bad, but I'd rather hear something like Load or ReLoad where the band does whatever they want to, and really put their souls into it, than a soulless album.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 03:47:52 PM »
Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness.

I love the title track but the rest of the album is completely unlistenable. :neverusethis:

Seriously, I'd say +44's When Your Heart Stops Beating. 155 is pretty cool, but the rest is just generic blink-182ish stuff.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 04:23:29 PM »
Iron Maiden - Virtual XI
On one hand you have "The Clansman" which is not only the best song on the album, but one of the best songs the band has done. On the other hand you have a really bad album. Getting through it is a chore. "The Angel and the Gambler" might have been a good track, if the chorus hadn't been repeated 74 times throughout the song.
No love for Como Estias Amigos?

Offline philmcson

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 05:00:23 PM »
Iron Maiden - Virtual XI

+ Futureal, The educated fool

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 05:16:35 PM »
Iron Maiden - Virtual XI
+When Two Worlds Collide

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 05:20:04 PM »
And yes, definitely, the only track worth listening on Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull is the title track. The rest really sucks.

I think you forgot a :neverusethis: at the end of your post. :lol

Tears for Fears - Sowing the Seeds of Love - Sowing the Seeds of Love

That's a damn fine song there.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 05:40:05 PM »
This is quite rare for me, there are usually at least a couple of tracks I like. But ones that come to mind are:

Biffy Clyro - Only Revolutions. Love their first few albums and I was getting really excited about this one after hearing 'That Golden Rule'. I love that song, but the rest of the album is awful. Their new album seems much better, though still not a patch on their older stuff. Only listened to it a couple of times, but there don't seem to be any great tracks on it, like That Golden Rule.

Another one would be Seasons in the Abyss by Slayer. The title track on that album is awesome, but I don't really like the other stuff. Though that's more because of the fact it's a bit different from their usual style which I'm not really a fan of, rather than it being a bad album overall.

Also thought of St. Anger by Metallica. Terrible album, but again the title track is OK. Would be a stretch to say I "loved it" though  ;D EDIT: After listening to this again for the first time in ages, it's actually worse than I remember. Still better than the rest of the album though
Sweet Amber kicks all sorts of ass

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 06:01:12 PM »
King Crimson: Starless and bible black

The Night Watch is incredible and is one of my favorite KC songs, but I don't like the rest of the album.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 08:20:40 PM »
I can't think of an example where I LOVE one song and HATE the others, but one close example would be Script for a Jester's Tear by Marillion, where I only really like the title track.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 01:11:15 AM »
Yeah, agreed.  The first example I thought of where I liked one song much more than the others is Ultramarathon from Brother Ape - A Rare Moment of Insight.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 01:16:51 AM »
I don't recall any. There are a few albums, from which I like two or three songs (Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death or The Final Frontier, Queensrÿche - Dedicated to Chaos), but only one good song...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 01:59:54 AM »
Iron Maiden - Virtual XI
+When Two Worlds Collide

The whole album is just very run of the mill to me. The X-Factor was pretty good, but it seemed to me like Virtual XI consisted of B-Sides that weren't good enough. (apart from Clansman)

At first I thought about saying No Prayer as the Maiden album but then I couldn't think of one redeeming song on it.  :lol

Offline Octavaripolis

• DTF's Teenage Weakling
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 03:26:40 AM »
The Funeral by Band of Horses, from the album Everything All The Time

I would say, it's the only enjoyable song band of horses has recorded!  :coolio
Don't mess with Take The Time.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 04:02:00 AM »
At first I thought about saying No Prayer as the Maiden album but then I couldn't think of one redeeming song on it.  :lol

I've always been a fan of the title track, so that album would fit the bill for me as well, though I sometimes listen to Holy Smoke as well.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 04:51:41 AM »

I've always been a fan of the title track, so that album would fit the bill for me as well, though I sometimes listen to Holy Smoke as well.
Both of these for me - NPFTD was one of my favorite Maiden tracks back when I was getting into Maiden somewhere in 2005/6.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 04:57:28 AM »
Opeth - Heritage

The only song I love is Folklore. I don't even listen the rest. Folklore is, however, top 10 Opeth song for me.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 05:27:43 AM »
Octavarium - Octavarium

The Night Watch is incredible and is one of my favorite KC songs, but I don't like the rest of the album.

How about The Great Deceiver? I love that one
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 05:54:50 AM »
The Musical Box is the only great track on Nursery Cryme (The Return of the Giant Hogweed is nice, but not that great).
Land Of Confusion from Invisible Touch
Budapest from Crest Of A Knave
I Don't Care Anymore from Hello,I must be going
Your Possible Pasts from The Final Cut
Radioactive Toy from On A Sunday Of Life
Force Ten from Hold Your Fire
The Raging Season from Symphony X
Changes from 90125

Yup.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 06:02:24 AM »

Tailgunner and Mother Russia are both great too.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 07:25:53 AM »
Octavarium - Octavarium

How about The Great Deceiver? I love that one

Yeah, I sort of forgot about that one. I actually The Great Deceiver quite a bit, but I so rarely listen to the album that it slipped my mind. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 08:15:10 AM »
Between the Buried and Me - The Silent Circus - "Mordecai"
I really don't care for this album, most of it's unlistenable actually, but "Mordecai" is a pretty good track and a good look at their future.

This is the only one that came to mind quickly enough for me.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 08:56:44 AM »
The Silent Circus is awesome. I could kinda see the argument for the self-titled, though I like it myself.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 08:59:50 AM »
Madonna-Erotica

I love the song Rain, but the rest of the album does nothing for me.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2013, 01:13:09 AM »
The whole album is just very run of the mill to me. The X-Factor was pretty good, but it seemed to me like Virtual XI consisted of B-Sides that weren't good enough. (apart from Clansman)

Great songs on Virtual XI: The Angel and the Gambler, The Clansman, The Educated Fool, Don't Look to the Eyes of the Stranger, Como Estais Amigos ( :heart)

Great songs on No Prayer for the Dying: No Prayer for the Dying, Public Enema Number One, Fates Warning (perhaps), Run Silent, Run Deep

IMO.

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 01:48:40 AM »
I think the closest I'm going to get to an answer is 'Directly From My Heart to You' from Weasels Ripped My Flesh.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 01:58:12 AM »
Amorphis - Far From The Sun - "Day Of Your Beliefs"
Rest of the album is pretty blah, but this song stands up there with other great Amorphis songs.
Agreed.

Forsaken is also the only song on Systematic Chaos without any cringeworthy moments (I also love ITPOE1 as a whole, but its not the full song).

Offline Ruba

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2013, 12:03:16 PM »
Hey, now I know one!

My sister is a huge One Direction fan, and obviously I've heard their both albums countless times. Their first album, Up All Night, was better than for example Sepultura's Roots, and there are probably 3 songs that I'm not ashamed to admit that I like them. But this second album, Take Me Home, has only one song that has grabbed my attention, and it is Little Things. Most of the other material sounds pretty much same and quite dull.