Author Topic: Your favorite Canadian guitarist (besides Alex Lifeson)?  (Read 2993 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Your favorite Canadian guitarist (besides Alex Lifeson)?
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2021, 10:16:53 AM »
I thought Rick Santers replaced Rik.

Nope.  Emmett was THE guitarist in Triumph from its inception through the 1987 album Surveillance and the 1987-88 tour supporting that album.  Rick Santers joined Triumph as a backup guitarist/keyboard player on the 1986-87 tour in support of The Sport of Kings, which was the album before Surveillance (Santers also co-wrote one song each on TSOK and Surveillance).  He continued as a touring member on the Surveillance tour, after which Emmett left the band.

Triumph was dormant for a few years before releasing Edge of Excess in 1992 (in Canada)/1993 (in the U.S.).  Emmett was replaced by Phil "X" Xenedis.

Triumph only played a handful of dates in support of Edge of Excess, one of which was the Milwaukee show featured on that bootleg you posted a picture of.  Santers remained as a "touring member" for those shows and, in addition to his guitar and keyboard duties, sang lead on a couple of Emmett songs (Fight the Good Fight and Magic Power).  However, he was never a full member of the band and didn't replace Emmett.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2021, 11:45:14 AM »
What are you, a lawyer or something? ;D

I didn't care then and I don't care now. All I knew was that I remember hearing that Rick Santers had joined Triumph. I was vaguely familiar with the band Santers, so it caught my attention.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2021, 11:58:32 AM »
I asked a question and got the answer so get odd my lawn! :getoffmylawn:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2021, 02:07:23 PM »
What are you, a lawyer or something? ;D

I didn't care then and I don't care now. All I knew was that I remember hearing that Rick Santers had joined Triumph. I was vaguely familiar with the band Santers, so it caught my attention.

That pretty much sums up everything I love about TAC in one concise sentence. 

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2021, 08:21:39 PM »
Ian Thornley of Big Wreck/Thornley is the one who comes to mind by far. Super underrated musician and writer. Incredible and very interesting playing.  :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2021, 07:44:29 PM »
This video popped up in my feed tonight.

SMOKING solo by Frank Marino on this one. :hefdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jUKJst-rUA
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol