Author Topic: The Beatles - Rubber Soul  (Read 5223 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: The Beatles - Beatles for Sale and 1964 singles/EP
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2013, 12:08:44 PM »
I like Beatles for Sale a lot and find it pretty underrated. It has an interesting transitional feel. Not as many famous songs, but they're still mostly worthy. Eight Days a Week is one of their coolest tracks, and I freakin' love Honey Don't even though nobody else does. Mr. Moonlight sucks, though.

Completely agreed.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2013, 05:21:18 AM »
I kinda like I'm a Loser. I think the album isn't nearly as great as the albums that come after it, but it's not that bad.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2013, 09:18:14 AM »
I'm really looking forward to when we get to the albums that everyone knows and likes.  I'm learning a lot about my own tastes by writing these blurbs...
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2013, 11:50:41 AM »
I kinda like I'm a Loser. I think the album isn't nearly as great as the albums that come after it, but it's not that bad.

:iagree:

Offline masterthes

« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2013, 04:14:09 AM »
Think it's time to move on now

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2013, 08:25:10 PM »
:bump: ?

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2013, 02:34:57 PM »
Update coming soon, friends.  Sorry for the delays... I have ZERO intentions of abandoning this project.

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
Re: The Beatles - Help! and b-sides
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2013, 05:01:31 PM »
Help! (1965)
B-sides: “Yes it Is” and “I’m Down”

On the previous album, the Beatles took a large but uncertain step in developing a new sound.  The ideas were there to some extent, but they were not yet fully realized.  This next album, the soundtrack for their second film, takes another step toward this new sound.  The band’s creativity was back in full swing amidst an even busier schedule.  How did the results fare?
-----------------------------
The classic title track opens Side 1 (the soundtrack side of the UK album).  According to Lennon, it was originally a slow ballad and a desperate cry for help.  Perhaps to be rescued from the prison of their own fame?  No one noticed the desperation… it was another huge hit record!

McCartney then gives us a mature rocker, “The Night Before.”  Notice the prominent electric piano, an early introduction of a new sound that will take us away from the strict guitars-bass-drums format.

John Lennon then gives us the VERY Dylan-esque “You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away.”  Whenever I hear this, I can’t help but picture the performance scene from the movie with the villain wearing a manhole-cover hat!

George Harrison then furthers his compositional resume with “I Need You.”  Anybody remember the Transatlantic cover?  It’s a highly-regarded early Harrison tune that fits in well with the mold of the album.

Paul follows with “Another Girl.”  Nothing too special about this song, but I do enjoy it quite a bit.  That’s Paul playing lead guitar.

What follows is one of THE underrated songs from this band… “You’re Going to Lose That Girl.”  The production is layered with piano and auxiliary percussion, along with classic 2-part harmony from Paul and George complimenting/answering John’s lead.  My favorite part about this song is the modulation of sorts from E major (the chorus and verses) to G major (the middle-eight).

Side A is bookended by another classic, “Ticket to Ride.”  A guitar-heavy piece, I’ve actually grown a little tired of this one.  But it is still a great ending to a solid album side… perhaps the band’s finest since side A of A Hard Day’s Night.

Unfortunately, side B is erratic at best.  Amongst some outstanding moments (IMO, in “Yesterday,” “I’ve Just Seen a Face” and “Act Naturally”) are a bunch of clunkers that never really get going.  I’m not too keen on “It’s Only Love,” although many disagree.  “You Like Me Too Much” isn’t George’s best.  “Tell Me What You See” is LOUSY, and “Dizzy Miss Lizzy” is a tired and uninspired cover that belongs on the previous album.  But to focus on the good, “Yesterday” needs no introduction… and Paul shows off his creativity with “I’ve Just Seen a Face.”  Just listen to the brief passage that introduces the song… that must be 3 or 4 acoustic guitars layered perfectly together.

Also belonging to this period are two B-sides:
--“Yes it Is” backed “Ticket to Ride”… I think it has a pretty melody and 3-part harmony singing, but some have noted that it is something of an attempt to rewrite “This Boy” from the previous year. 
--“I’m Down” backed “Help!.”  It is a scorching rock song, featuring some of Paul’s wildest singing.  It’s remarkable to think that this song was recorded in the same session as “Yesterday” and “I’ve Just Seen a Face.”  What polar opposites!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2013, 05:32:23 PM »
Not bad, but I like Hard Day's Night just a wee bit more

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2013, 05:54:24 AM »
Finally, someone who likes Act Naturally! Ah, I think that's a rare great for Ringo personally.

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2013, 06:55:20 AM »
Finally, someone who likes Act Naturally! Ah, I think that's a rare great for Ringo personally.

I can't describe to you what it is I like, but I LOVE it.  My favorite performance is the one from "Blackpool Night Out" in 1965.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2013, 07:26:54 AM »
This is the one that I put on and dig a lot, and then sometime in the second half, I'm reminded that I don't know every single Beatles song inside and out.  It's weird because I do know every song until that point, mostly from watching the movie countless times.  I don't know if the second half is weaker, or I'm just not as familiar with it.  Most Beatles songs are pretty great.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2013, 09:07:22 AM »
I agree that Side 1 of Help! is fantastic, while Side 2 leaves a bit to be desired.  But Side 1 is soooooo good. 

I think Yesterday is still the most played song in the history of FM radio.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2013, 09:27:01 AM »
Help! is a really good album. I especially love the title track; it's one of their best songs, easily. Other highlights are Yesterday (obviously) and I've Just Seen a Face. I never gave much attention to I Need You until I heard the Transatlantic version, and now I realize it's an overlooked gem.

The only track I don't like is Dizzy Miss Lizzy, although it almost seems like John was intentionally trying to ruin the mood created by Yesterday. :lol
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2013, 10:34:34 AM »
DML to me is like a worse Lovely Rita (I love Rita ftr).

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2013, 11:03:17 AM »
Help! is my favorite Beatles album from their early period. Side 1 is fantastic. But oh my the stuff the comes next . . .  :omg:

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2013, 12:55:43 PM »
It's weird because I do know every song until that point, mostly from watching the movie countless times.

KAIILEEEEEEEEEE!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2013, 01:22:07 PM »
:lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2013, 04:09:06 PM »
Quite a step up from Beatles for sale. Side A is absolutely flawless and I love every single song. Side B has some great songs like Yesterday, I've just seen a face and It's only love, but I don't really care about the remaining four. I find the covers especially boring. I agree that Dizzy Miss Lizzy kills the mood after the beautiful Yesterday. The two B-sides should have been on the album instead of the covers. Yes it is, what a cute song.  :smiley:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2013, 07:44:27 PM »
It's weird because I do know every song until that point, mostly from watching the movie countless times.

KAIILEEEEEEEEEE!!

GO.......TO.........DA WINDOW.....
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
Re: The Beatles - Rubber Soul
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2013, 08:29:55 PM »
Rubber Soul (1965)

The Beatles’ 1965 itinerary had included the making of another film, receiving the coveted MBE awards, and another extensive tour of America… a schedule busier than ever.   In October 1965, the band entered the studio with an actual block of time OFF, a first in their career.  Sessions were no longer squeezed in only when there was time between tours.  However, the band still had to work under a tight deadline… the album had to be completed in only a month’s time in order to be finished for the Christmas market.

How stunning is it, then, that working under pressure they were able to complete such a daring, experimental album!  Perhaps it is not as groundbreaking as Sgt. Pepper, but all the elements of a new-found studio-centric direction are all there.  Let’s examine song-by-song:
-----------------------
You’ve heard me sing praises for “Drive My Car” here in the past.  When it begins, the listener immediately knows that something new is afoot;  the carefully doubled bass and guitar lines and tasteful piano licks are the first sign of studio mastery in the production. 

We then are hit with an early use of Indian-flavored sounds in pop music with “Norwegian Wood.”  George’s use of the sitar is an intriguing accompaniment to delightful lyrics referring to an affair of Lennon’s. 

“You Won’t See Me” is an enjoyable McCartney tune, the longest Beatles track to date. 

The outstanding “Nowhere Man” is one of the first Beatles songs to NOT be about boy-meets-girl love, a real taste of things to come.  The 3-part harmony in this tune is particularly great (and VERY difficult for the boys to replicate in concert…)

George Harrison’s composition “Think For Yourself” continues his trend of fine songs that began with “I Need You” on the previous album.  It is most notable for Paul double-tracked basses: one normal and one played through a fuzz box.  The effect is quite unique!

“The Word” is another hint of things to come… a shift to more philosophical lyrics (this time looking at love in the abstract).  Some call it a precursor to “All You Need is Love.”

Another very unique song closes out side A… “Michelle.”  French lyrics and a complex harmonic structure make it memorable.  (Personally, the version that I always remember as definitive version was performed by McCartney during his 1993 tour, which I watched at age 6 and thereafter became infatuated with the Beatles).

Side B begins with Ringo’s vocal for the album, “What Goes On” (uniquely credited to Lennon/McCartney/Starkey)!  It is a fine homage to rockabilly.

“Girl” is another song entirely unique in the Beatles’ catalog.  For lack of any better words, it has Greek-esque influences??  Can anyone describe it with better words?

“I’m Looking Through You” is a fine song, but I GREATLY prefer the version issued on Anthology 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3z5aNGt6bE).  The album version was a remake, but unfortunately I have a hard time finding faults in the original version.

Perhaps the highlight of the album, “In My Life” features introspective lyrics, an outstanding melody, sparse but appropriate instrumentation, and a studio-tricked piano solo by George Martin.  It might be the finest Beatles song up until 1965… I don’t remember how I ranked it when I did my top 50 songs.

It is followed by the album’s only clunker, “Wait.”  The song was a leftover from Help!, and was polished off only because the new album was one song short and under a tough deadline.  I have very little to comment on…

“If I Needed Someone” is another fine effort from Harrison.  It features extensive use of variants on the D major guitar chord played higher up the fretboard with a capo.  Interestingly enough, I just learned that this was the ONLY Harrison composition that was performed live by the Beatles (the rest of George’s live vocals were covers!).

The album closes with one of my favorites on the record, John’s “Run For Your Life.”  Lennon apparently was not proud of the song at all, but I find it upbeat and enjoyable.
-------------------------

Rubber Soul is one of those albums that I need to be in the right mood in order to listen without skipping any tracks.  Nonetheless, I regard it as one of the better Beatles albums.  While working on this write-up, I realized that the album’s most identifying feature is the fact that most of the songs sound ENTIRELY unique in the Beatles’ catalog.  They are unlike anything written and recorded before, and everything afterwards drew upon this bold songwriting and early studio experimentation.  It is truly a special album and understandably highly regarded by many (even non-Beatles fans).   It is the album where many “haters” of the early Beatles begin to take notice.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2013, 08:33:09 PM »
This and Abbey Road are my two favorite Beatles albums. Not sure which one I prefer.

And I love Wait.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2013, 08:53:10 PM »
Great album. Norwegian Wood is one of the greatest short songs of all time

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2013, 09:12:20 PM »
This is my all-time favorite Beatles album. Nothing not to be enjoyed here.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2013, 09:17:25 PM »
I should really give this album a spin before commenting, but I almost feel like I don't need to.  I know every one of those songs, except for "Wait" which for some reason doesn't ring a bell.  Interesting then that you point it out as the only clunker on the album.  That's apparently why I don't remember it.

Anyway, another great album full of great songs.  I could sing every one of them, except "Wait".

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2013, 01:24:44 AM »
Rubber Soul is their 3rd best album (After Revolver and Abbey Road) for me. I love everything about it - the folky stuff, the rockers, even the obligatory Ringo track is good.

And Wait is a great track, not a clunker at all.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2013, 01:40:31 AM »
LOVE this album, and I dig "Wait." The only thing I don't love is "Run for Your Life," which is one of the worst songs I think they ever made. The lyrics make me uncomfortable to hear, even though it's kinda catchy.

"Girl" is probably my favorite, followed by "Norwegian Wood" and "Michelle"  :heart :heart :heart
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2013, 06:59:52 AM »
Rubber Soul is awesome, my 2nd or 3rd favorite with Abbey Road #1 and this one fighting with Sgt Pepper. One of my absolute favorite Beatle vocal melodies is the last time Lennon sings the word "My".

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2013, 07:41:00 AM »
Yeah, regardless of the melodies, I just can't dig "Run For Your Life" at all.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2013, 07:50:40 AM »
Okay, I just listened to "Wait".  It sounds familiar, with the unusual two-part harmony during the refrain, but seems like a bit of a Beatles-by-numbers song otherwise.  Not a bad song, just not particularly memorable.

I mean, compare that to some of the other songs on this album.  "Drive My Car" with the tri-tone harmony "beep beeps" emulated a car horn.  "Norwegian Wood" with sitar, acoustic guitar, and no drums.  "Nowhere Man" with the a capella intro.  Even "You Won't See Me" with the double meaning of the title is pretty clever, I've always thought (she won't see him, so fine, he'll just walk away, and she won't see him anymore).

I've been re-reading this book (see below) which I mentioned in another thread, and one thing I love about it is that it's not just fan raving.  They completely dissect the songs, both the music and lyrics, provide detailed notes of the writing and recording sessions (who wrote the verses or the chorus, who played what instrument, including studio musicians, how many takes and overdubs), and point out things about the songs themselves that are unusual or groundbreaking, most of which most people won't even realize.  In other words, they justify why each song is ranked the way it is.  Recommended reading for any Beatles fan.  My appreciation for The Beatles, which was already pretty high, has done nothing but increase, the more I learn about what they did to advance the art form.  It was only 1965, but The Beatles were literally inventing new ways to make music.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2013, 08:31:10 AM »
Terrific album.  This is when the Beatles went from being good to great, IMO, as it is their first album that is consistently great from start to finish.  This is one of those albums that can you just turn on and let play uninterrupted and the whole thing sounds great.  And the number of catchy melodies is just obscene!

If I had to pick favorite songs from it, I'd probably go with In My Life (obviously), Think for Yourself and Norwegian Wood.

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2013, 12:10:07 PM »

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2013, 12:32:16 PM »
Going back to Help! real quick - I about wore out my cassette tape of the US version of the soundtrack when I was about 8 or 9 (possibly older?).  LOVED it.  Still do, and the UK version is tops.  Oh, and I also dig "Act Naturally". :biggrin:

Now, to Rubber Soul... there is just so much to love about it.  "Nowhere Man" is one of my favorite John songs (and I love most of them), and so is "Girl" and "In My Life".  "Norwegian Wood" is a bit overplayed these days, but still a really good song.  REALLY dig "I'm Looking Through You" - one of my favorite Paul songs.  Like I said... there's so much to love about this one.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2013, 12:39:46 PM »
The lyrics of Run For Your Life are rather cringeworthy.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2013, 01:01:38 PM »
Yeah, I've never really liked the lyrics for "Run for Your Life".  The message is pretty sick, really.  John Lennon definitely had a dark side to him, even back then.