Author Topic: The Beatles - Rubber Soul  (Read 5224 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Beatles - Rubber Soul
« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2013, 01:03:06 PM »
I believe he said in some interview in the 70s that it's one of his least favourites of his songs.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2013, 01:48:46 PM »
Do remember if he said why?  I'm always curious about that.

Online Mladen

« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2013, 01:54:05 PM »
Rubber soul is not just a Beatles classic, but also one of my favorite albums of all time. Everybody is at the top of their game, there is a lot more experimentation (although not as much as on the subsequent albums, but it's still a sign of things to come), and the songs rock as much as they deliver some adorable melodies. My favorites include In my life (well, duh!), Nowhere man, Michelle, Girl and Think for yourself, which is one of my favorite Harrison tunes, quite unusual. Run for your life is also a great songs, and the lyrics can be very humorous and fun if you don't take them too seriously. The two lesser good songs are The Word and What goes on, but I still enjoy them every now and then.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2013, 02:02:21 PM »

This is the only info I've found about it:

https://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/run-for-your-life/

Lennon later expressed his dislike of the song, saying he "always hated" Run For Your Life. In 1973 he described it as his "least favourite Beatles song", although he did claim that it was one of George Harrison's favourites.

"Just a sort of throwaway song of mine that I never thought much of, but it was always a favourite of George's."
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2013, 02:09:28 PM »
Weird.  I was just wondering if it was because he realized how sadistic and controlling and generally sick the lyrics are, but oh well.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2013, 02:10:51 PM »

I imagine it has to do with the misogynistic, violent tone of the lyrics.  Lennon was later quite remorseful about how he treated women (see: "Getting Better" ).
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2013, 02:16:33 PM »
I agree, that's what I would've hoped he meant.  But he didn't actually say.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2013, 05:11:05 PM »
Yeah, I imagine that was why. Or, as my friend Angel says, because "Yoko made him say that"  :lol
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2013, 05:24:53 PM »
A lot has been said about Yoko Ono and her effect on The Beatles as a group, but she definitely had a huge impact on John personally.  He always talked about how he felt so complete and at peace and fulfilled when he was with her.  He was so totally, completely in love with her that it's almost easy to be cynical about it, either out of jealousy or simply not understanding how lost one person can be in another.  John stated more than once that when they got together, they were no longer two people, but one new entity.

I hadn't really put the two together until now, but it seems quite possible, even likely, that the pessimistic, misogynistic John became the hippie-peace-love-freak John because of her.  He went from "I'd rather see you dead" to "imagine" and "free as a bird".

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2013, 10:10:16 PM »
Good points!

Online Mladen

« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2013, 04:25:17 AM »
Am I the only one who isn't taking the lyrics in Run for your life that seriously?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2013, 05:13:57 AM »
I suppose you could say that it's just the lyrics to a song, the point of view of some fictitious character.  This is how he feels about his girl, he loves her so much that he would rather see her dead than with someone else, and if it came to that, he'd kill her himself.  But you have to admit, to even come up with a hypothetical mentality like that requires a kind of thinking that most of us don't have.  And then to place it into such a happy, upbeat sounding song just seems twisted.

Pat Travers wrote a similar song years later called "I'd Rather See You Dead", which had a similar theme.  The difference was that Pat's song had a heavy, tragic tone to it.  The guy was genuinely saddened, agonized, that it had come to this.  Also, I don't think he ever said he'd kill her himself.

Hmm, I guess I do take lyrics pretty seriously.  So that's a Yes.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2013, 05:19:38 AM »
I think the issue is that the lyrics aren't from the point of view from some character, but rather the thoughts of Lennon.  Yeah, the '60s were a different time, but that doesn't make it any easier to enjoy the song.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2013, 02:08:38 PM »
Yeah  :|

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2013, 07:34:08 PM »
Hey friends, would somebody be willing to take this over for me?   Since it's right before Easter I am SWAMPED at work, and I don't want this thread to die and everyone to lose interest in this band.  I've been trying to do a write-up for Revolver but nothing worthwhile is coming of it.  Any takers?
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2013, 01:16:39 PM »
I can try one.  I just listened to Revolver today, and know most of the songs pretty well anyway, so I'm up for blabbing about them.  It'll have to be tonight, though.  I leave in about an hour for a meeting.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2013, 01:34:12 PM »
Go ahead!
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
The Beatles - Revolver
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2013, 10:39:03 PM »
The Beatles: Revolver (1966)

(I had to include both front and back covers, because that back cover photo is just so cool)

Taxman
Eleanor Rigby
I'm Only Sleeping
Love You To
Here, There and Everywhere
Yellow Submarine
She Said She Said
Good Day Sunshine
And Your Bird Can Sing
For No One
Doctor Robert
I Want to Tell You
Got to Get You into My Life
Tomorrow Never Knows

----------

The Beatles have been called the first prog rock band.  Not everyone agrees with this, and obviously it would ultimately depend on your definition of prog, although nobody ever seems to agree on that, either.  But most definitions include the idea of pushing the boundaries of rock and roll, the incorporation of other genres, unconventional song structures, and unusual instrumentation.  Revolver has all of this, and more.  The Beatles started pushing the limits with Rubber Soul, but they burst them wide open here.

Everyone knows that most Beatles songs were written by Lennon & McCartney, but Revolver opens with a George Harrison song, the first and only time that this would happen.  And it's a good one.  "Taxman".  A great, catchy beat; Paul and Ringo playing tightly off of each other, wicked lyrics, and an even more wicked lead guitar.  I used to think that "one for you, nineteen for me" was hyperbole, but The Beatles were in the 95.6% tax bracket!  We have nothing even close to that in the United States.  George's songs have a very different sound to them, and leading off the album with one of his three songs let listeners know right away that yes, they should continue to expect the unexpected from The Beatles.

Speaking of which... how about three voices and a double string quartet?  "Eleanor Rigby" has no drums, guitars, or keyboards.  Instead, we have Paul singing lead, John and George singing backgrounds, and four violins, two violas, and two cellos providing the backdrop.  At barely two minutes, it is an amazing tour de force, an example of The Beatles doing what had never been done before, or since, and even scoring a hit single with it.

"I'm Only Sleeping" is the first "regular" Lennon-McCartney song on the album, but we're three songs in and we still haven't heard a single song about love or girls or relationships.  It's a song about wanting to stay in bed and sleep, and even though we've all been there, what in the heck is going on here?  This is The Beatles, right?  Where's "Love Me Do" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand"?

"Love You To".  Ah, a love song, finally.  Except... what's this?  Sitar, tambura, tabla, hand drums?  The second George Harrison song on the album is a direct reflection of his fascination with Indian music.  The droning, the monotonic feel.  I don't particularly like this song, but I admire the guts it took for them to put it on their album.

"Here, There, and Everywhere" is the fifth song on the album, and the first Lennon-McCartney love song.  It is a beautiful ballad by Paul.  (It's no secret that many of the songs credited to Lennon & McCartney were in fact mostly or entirely written by one or the other.)  Acoustic and electric guitar, no bass, and drums played with brushes, this is the mellowest song on the album.

Something The Beatles didn't shy away from was good old English whimsy.  "Yellow Submarine", sung by Ringo, is a silly song about living in a submarine, but it has a great, sing-a-long chorus and was yet another hit.

"She Said She Said" is a John Lennon composition, written after an acid trip, about a conversation with someone who said she knows what it's like to be dead.  It has an odd meter and beat to it, but Ringo and Paul keep things bouncing along, John and George have some awesome harmonies, and it's another great, catchy song.  And if you're listening on vinyl, this is the end of Side One.

Paul's "Good Day Sunshine" opens Side Two with a song about being in love, and it's a sunny day.  Happy and upbeat almost to the point of being cheesy, it's hard to listen to this one and not tap your feet anyway.  No guitars, just piano (played by George Martin), bass and drums, so we're over halfway through now and still no "regular" Beatles love song.

Okay fine, there's no point in keeping up the charade any further.  There are no "regular" Beatles love songs on this album.  This is Revolver.  The Beatles were halfway through their career by now and they were not some teenybopper boy band.  They had matured as musicians and writers and were looking for different challenges, and they dared their audience to keep up with them.

"And Your Bird Can Sing" is a John Lennon song that he didn't actually like very much.  He considered it a throwaway, but it's a great, catchy song.  It's also one of the few songs on this album with standard, guitars, bass, and drums for instrumentation.  As such, Paul and Ringo are their usual psychic-linked rhythm section, John and George's guitars sound great, and the vocal harmonies are tight, as always.  What's not to love?

"For No One" is an upbeat song with deceptively meloncholy lyrics.  It's a Paul song, another one of his experiments (or indulgences), with him singing and playing piano, bass, and clavichord. Ringo provides the drums and percussion, hired gun Alan Civil takes the French horn solo, and John and George sat this one out.

To put it bluntly, "Doctor Robert" is the guy who makes you feel better, and he does this by providing whatever drug(s) you need.  This was the 60's, after all.  Beatles scholars and others who hung out with The Beatles at the time all agree that Doctor Robert was a real man, Dr. Robert Freymann, who had a prescription pad and wasn't afraid to use it, as long as you had the cash.  John Lennon claimed in interviews that he himself was "Doctor Robert" and he wrote the song.  So who knows?

"I Want to Tell You" is George's third contribution to Revolver, and it's another good one.  It bangs along, it's catchy, and it's got some really weird chords.  I love Paul's piano work on this one.  His dissonant sevenths really drive this one.

"Got to Get You into My Life" is one of my all-time favorite Beatles songs.  There's a rhythm guitar, but what really moves the song along are the horns.  The horns open the song and provide the chordal structure throughout.  Yes, we have bass and drums as well, and the aforementioned rhythm guitar, but even when the guitar takes the break just before the final reprise, it's still just echoing the horn part that opened the song.  What a great song.

"Tomorrow Never Knows" is the other song with a strong Indian influence, but this one's from John.  It's not quite purely in the Indian format; the songs drones in C but there's a definite subtonic (B-flat) shift halfway through the verse, even though the bass stays on C.  After George, John seemed to embrace the Indian music and culture the most.  It's an unusual song, but as has been pointed out a few times, there aren't a lot of regular songs on this album.

Revolver really pushed things, far.  When people talk about The Beatles' influence on popular music, some might be thinking about that great medley on Abbey Road or the amazing songwriting on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, but the first thing I think of is this album.  14 songs, all in the two-to-three-minute range, but look at the variety.  String quartet, horns, sitar and tambura, French horn, piano and no guitars, songs based entirely on a single chord, or with odd, run-on cadences.  It's almost not even a rock and roll album, but somehow it is still most definitely a rock and roll album.  That was the genius of The Beatles.  Rubber Soul had a sitar on one song, and some unusual structures, but Revolver makes it and every other rock album before it (and many that have come after it) look tame by comparison.  This album is, quite simply, a masterpiece.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2013, 11:44:24 PM »
Orbert, I'd have to agree with your assessment of "Love You To".  I dig that George had the stones to do that one, but I think he accomplished what he was trying to do MUCH better with "Within You Without You" (one of my all-time favorite Beatles' songs, but I don't want to jump TOO far ahead yet ;) ).

I also agree that Revolver is the start of their pushing the limit - with great success, I may add.  "I'm Only Sleeping" is fantastic, as well as "Good Day Sunshine",  "Doctor Robert". "I Want To Tell You" and "Tomorrow Never Knows".

It's not my favorite of the more experimental Beatles albums, but it's by no means bad at all.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2013, 12:10:10 AM »
Fucking perfect album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #125 on: March 24, 2013, 12:10:19 AM »
Even though I do not like Taxman, this is still an album that is beyond awesome.  Song after song after song after song of just killer and infectious melodies, and like Orbert said, experimentation all over the place.  Personal favorites are Here, There and Everywhere, For No One, Doctor Robert (their best bridge ever?), And Your Bird Can Sing, Tomorrow Never Knows, etc.  Hell, all of them (except Taxman)!!!

What's amazing is that Tomorrow Never Knows was so ahead of its time, it could be a new song today and still sound ahead of its time.

In short, :hefdaddy :hefdaddy to Revolver.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2013, 12:12:09 AM »
I love Taxman. :(

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2013, 12:18:01 AM »
Me too. :(

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2013, 12:26:45 AM »
I have no idea why that song has never been to my liking, but oh well; sometimes, a song, for whatever reason, doesn't resonate with you.  And I like, no make that LOVE, most of Harrison's other songwriting efforts in The Beatles, so it is mystifying, even to me, why I don't like Taxman. 

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2013, 01:28:49 AM »
Taxman isn't bad... but I think my favorites are She Said She Said and Got to Get You into My Life. Such a wonderful album :D

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #130 on: March 24, 2013, 12:52:14 PM »
I've always been baffled by Revolver and the love it gets. This is probably one of my most unusual music opinions, but Revolver is my least favorite Beatles album. I know it's considered their best by most people, and its widely considered the best album of all time.

As a big Beatles fan, I don't know how my opinion on this can be so different from other Beatles fans. There are just too many songs that I think are mediocre or poor: I'm Only Sleeping, Love You To, She Said She Said, Doctor Robert, I Want to Tell You. It doesn't help that I have a personal reason to not like the song Eleanor Rigby. My favorite songs are Taxman, Yellow Submarine (which is usually considered the WORST song on the album), and For No One.

I don't even like Tomorrow Never Knows, since it gives me a really bad vibe. It's like the band couldn't handle their newfound LSD intake on the album, so the songs seem weird and transitional to me. They found their way again with Sgt. Pepper.

WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: March 24, 2013, 02:27:48 PM »
It's the only Beatles album I don't get bored of personally. I wouldn't really consider myself a Beatles fan at all. But I really love this album. It just hits all the right spots for me.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2013, 03:40:16 PM »
"I'm Only Sleeping" is a top 15 or maybe top 10 Beatles song for me.  It's quite wonderful.

Online Mladen

« Reply #133 on: March 24, 2013, 04:05:58 PM »
It seems like I always forget the significance of Revolver when it comes to its originality compared to Rubber soul and earlier albums. It's probably because it's overshadowed by Sgt. Pepper, which is an extremely massive departure, being that it contains even more diversity. I usually put Revolver alongside Rubber soul as one of the two The Beatles albums that marked the transition in the sound.

Nevertheless, this album is simply breathtaking. It doesn't have the diversity of Sgt. Pepper because some songs still have a similar vibe, but most of the songs are timeless classics. She said she said is less good than the others, and I honestly don't care for Yellow submarine - the rest of the album, however, is tremendous. My favorite has to be Tomorrow never knows, it's top 5 material. Other highlights include: Here, there and everywhere, Eleanor Rigby, Love you to, Doctor Robert, And your bird can sing (what a bridge!), Got to get you into my life, Good day sunshine... Once again, I pretty much listed all of the songs.  :lol

Offline masterthes

« Reply #134 on: March 24, 2013, 05:54:58 PM »
I think the Beatles must have sold their souls to the devil. This album is a masterpiece and any lover of rock music (or music in general really) who doesn't have this in their collection does not deserve to call themselves music lovers

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2013, 06:09:57 PM »
I think I have a soft spot for Here, There, and Everywhere because we do a beautiful rendition of it in the school jazz band.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2013, 12:13:49 PM »
Hey, Sir Bradford!  Are we gonna do this thing or what?

Seriously though, are you back from your hiatus?