Author Topic: The Beatles - Rubber Soul  (Read 5222 times)

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
The Beatles - Rubber Soul
« on: January 23, 2013, 08:03:20 PM »
And so we begin... Zydar and I decided I would do the write-ups.  I don't think I will have time to do as detailed and thorough entries as Orbert has... but I'm hoping the basic information I present here will spark discussion, prompt more detail to be covered, and get you guys listening to the finest rock band in history.

“Love Me Do” b/w “P.S. I Love You” (1962)
“Please Please Me” b/w “Ask Me Why” (1963)
PLEASE PLEASE ME (1963)

Fast-forward through the history of the band… John meets Paul, Paul brings George, John brings Stu Sutcliffe, Pete Best comes aboard, band matures in Hamburg and becomes Liverpool sensation, Sutcliffe stays in Germany, Decca rejects the Beatles.  Here isn’t the place to discuss every facet of the band’s history (although significant points will likely come up in discussion).

The Beatles’ first single for Parlophone Records was recorded amidst the recent departure of drummer Pete Best.  Two version of the A-side were recorded… one features Ringo Starr on drums; the other relegates him to tambourine while session drummer Andy White plays the kit.  The B-side “P.S. I Love You” features Andy White on drums!  The single was a moderate hit in England, reaching #17… certainly not enough to qualify the band’s star status outside of their hometown.

The second single, however, would change all that.  “Please Please Me” (now featuring Ringo as an established band member) hit #1 in the British charts, while in the US its release on small record labels was virtually ignored.

In February 1963 the band recorded the ten remaining tracks for their debut album in three 3-hour sessions in a single day.  The performances are virtually live-in-the-studio, quite similar to takes recorded for BBC radio in 1963 (one can, arguably, find superior versions of these songs amidst those bootlegs!).  Notice how strained Lennon’s voice sounds on the album… he was suffering from a bad cold that day!

“I Saw Her Standing There” opens the album with a BANG, and immediately establishes the band as legitimate songwriters…. what a way to open a debut album.  It is followed by a bit of a throwaway in “Misery.”   The remainder of side 1, aside from the “Please Please Me” A and B side, features two dynamite covers: Arthur Alexander’s “Anna” and the Shirelles’ “Boys.”  The former is among the finest of the Beatles’ lesser-known songs, and the latter features a SCORCHING lead vocal by Ringo… his vocal range and power would rather quickly disintegrate.

Side 2 is, IMO, considerably weaker.  It does, however, showcase the broad range of the Beatles’ influences.  The A- and B-sides of “Love Me Do” are very unique-sounding originals, difficult to pin into any set genre or identifiable influence.  The other originals on this side follow suit, with George’s first lead vocal (“Do You Want to Know a Secret”) and a glimpse into Lennon’s troubled genius (“There’s a Place”).  The covers here are even broader… two pop standards and the inimitable “Twist and Shout” (listen for John’s huge cough at the end… it was the last track recorded that day and he was sick!).

Although it is far from perfect, I really enjoy Please Please Me.  It is a solid effort as a debut recording and a great showing of the Beatles’ far-reaching influences.  It is perhaps the most authentic record we have of the band’s early stage act (although the bootleg tapes from Hamburg, recorded at the end of 1962, feature even more diverse cover material!). 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 08:30:17 PM by sirbradford117 »
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline The Letter M

Re: The Beatles - Please Please Me
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 08:17:43 PM »
The Beatles' debut album is one of the best debuts of bands from that era. The high quality of the songs is impressive, original and covers. And of the first four albums, I'd say I listen to it more than the others!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 08:25:03 PM »
Good album, but probably my least favorite of their early days. I Saw Her Standing There is the best song; it really jumps out and gets your attention immediately. I prefer the second side overall, though, because I've never liked Boys or Ask Me Why. Love Me Do, P.S. I Love You, A Taste of Honey...all good songs there.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 08:47:57 PM »
Although I'm not a Beatles fan, I do feel like I should familiarize myself with the material of the most influential band in history. Will be following.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 11:51:14 PM »
Despite being a huge Beatles fan, I am not overly crazy about some of their earliest material, but from this album, I do love Twist and Shout, Do You Want to Know a Secret, Misery and Anna (Go to Him). 

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 01:16:45 AM »
I'm not huge into the earlier Beatles albums, but some good songs I guess.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 02:31:58 AM »
Although The Beatles is my #1 band of all time, I'm not really that crazy about their first 2-3 albums. It's with "Help!" (1965) that their brilliant period started IMHO.

But this is about their debut. It's a good debut album, and a promising start. I Saw Her Standing There, Please Please Me, Love Me Do, and Twist And Shout are all classics. A couple of nice covers too, like A Taste Of Honey and Anna (Go To Him). It's a little weird though to hear Ringo sing about Boys (it's a cover of a girl group - The Shirelles), but Paul has said that they didn't care about that at all.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 02:44:28 AM »
I'm unusual because I like their early stuff just as much as their later stuff. They had such a positive energy when they first started out, and I've always had a fondness for the type of music of that time period.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 08:59:24 AM »
It's very odd watching video footage of the early Beatles while thinking about the music of Sgt. Pepper, Abbey Road, etc.  To me they are two COMPLETELY different bands, yet still one and the same... I prefer the later Beatles but love the early band just as much.   Does that make sense?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 09:44:52 AM »
Question: are you doing just the albums, or will you be covering all of the singles that weren't album tracks?  Granted, I think most of them ended up albums like Past Masters, but I am just wondering.  Cause songs like Hey Jude, Revolution, Lady Madonna, etc. were released as singles, not on studio albums, and I can't imagine them not being discussed.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 09:53:41 AM »
I would guess he'll be doing the Past Masters albums, that's what I would do at least  :P

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 09:59:42 AM »
It's very odd watching video footage of the early Beatles while thinking about the music of Sgt. Pepper, Abbey Road, etc.  To me they are two COMPLETELY different bands, yet still one and the same... I prefer the later Beatles but love the early band just as much.   Does that make sense?

It makes perfect sense to me, because I feel the same way.  There were those clean-cut guys in the matching suits back in the early 60's, playing Phil Medley and Bobby Scott covers; and there were those long-haired hippy dudes in the late 60's with "Come Together" and "I Want You", and it's really hard to reconcile that they're the same four guys.  And it the evolution was very fast; look at pictures of them over the years and see the changes, then realize that it was only like five or six years.

I remember reading that The Beatles were a bit proud of their wordplay.  Paul liked "Please Please Me" for example, because the word "Please" is repeated, but has two different meanings.  "Do You Want to Know a Secret" is clearly a question, everyone knows it, but there's no question mark.  "Love Me Do" simply would not work without the "Do" which doesn't make grammatical sense.  That kind of thing.  They clearly weren't afraid to do new things musically, but I think it's interesting how fearless they were lyrically, and even with the song titles as well.

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
I think I will cover the non-album tracks in their correct eras, OR do separate posts for singles.  For example, I'll probably do the "From Me To You" and "She Loves You" singles in their own post, OR lump in singles like "I Want to Hold Your Hand" in with With the Beatles (its proper era, if you will).

Offline Mladen

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 12:31:43 PM »
I prefer the later day Beatles, but I love their early stuff as well. The debut certainly has its share of classics. I saw her standing there, Anna (go with him), Baby it's you, Do you want to know a secret? and the title track are fantastic. I was never too crazy about Love me do, how it became such a huge hit I'll never know...

Anyway, here's a little thing for you guys. This was my introduction to the world of The Beatles back in the day, I think I was two years old when a Serbian band which was huge back in the 90s recorded a cover of this Beatles classic, and I was hooked onto rock and roll from the very beginning. You won't understand a word, of course, but it might be fun for you to hear something which made my childhood basically. Maybe MoraWintersoul will know what this is, but I seriously doubt she will check out this thread. Anyway, here it goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STelgAeOt3w

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 01:15:49 PM »
Although The Beatles is my #1 band of all time, I'm not really that crazy about their first 2-3 albums. It's with "Help!" (1965) that their brilliant period started IMHO.

Agreed, but there were still some bright spots on this album - Do You Want to Know a Secret (while not my favorite George song, it's up there), Twist and Shout, and Anna (Go To Him) are all stellar.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 03:03:43 PM »
I'm not that crazy about The Beatles' early stuff, but I enjoy listening to the songs when they're playing on the radio or whatever.

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 06:39:41 AM »
Bump.  Next album and singles coming soon!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 07:07:43 AM »
Hard Day's Night is when they start clicking for me

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
The Beatles - With the Beatles and 1963 singles
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 04:53:41 PM »
WITH THE BEATLES (1963)
The Beatles’ follow-up to Please Please Me was recorded in a handful of sessions spread over a few months… a far cry from the one-day-and-done approach of their debut.  However, this time the band faced pressure to write songs for the first time in their career.  PPM drew upon the band’s whole lives worth of songwriting and influences, but WTB had to be written and compiled within the space of less than a year.  Couple that with the advent of some more advanced recording techniques (gasp… 4-track???) and realize that these two albums are really QUITE different!

I greatly prefer the debut to WTB.  Having to write under pressure, the original songs on this record (save for the obvious winner “All My Loving”) are really not that strong.  They aren’t BAD, but not up to the level of the singles released in 1963 (see below).  The strength of WTB lies in its varied cover version.  “Till There Was You” is a showtune, for heaven’s sake!  “Please Mr. Postman” and “Roll Over Beethoven” are high-energy performances.  “You Really Got a Hold On Me” pays great homage to Motown, “Devil in Her Heart” is a very well-done cover of an obscure tune, and “Money” is just balls-out rock-n-roll.

As I hinted in my last post, bootleg tracks from this year often trump the EMI recordings IMHO.  Particularly in the months of September-November, live recordings and radio broadcasts are particularly exciting.  The band is not yet road-weary and sloppy; instead, they are enjoying their fame and sound particularly excited about performing so well.  Check out a TV broadcast from Sweden that can be found on Anthology 1 for a great example of an outstanding show.

“From Me To You” b/w “Thank You Girl”
“She Loves You” b/w “I’ll Get You”
“I Want to Hold Your Hand” b/w “This Boy”

Where WTB lacked in quality of original material, the singles make up for it.  We see the beginning of the trend of leaving singles OFF the albums.  The stronger songs were clearly selected for A- and B-side releases in 1963!

Listen to these 6 songs in sequence.  One can really hear a band growing and maturing.  You may feel that each song is stronger than the next, with a real peak at “I Want to Hold Your Hand” and “This Boy.”  It is no surprise that IWTHYH broke the band HUGE in America.  Give this a try if you tend to cast aside the early Beatles and let me know what you think!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: The Beatles - With the Beatles and 1963 singles
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 01:25:15 AM »
All My Loving and It Won't Be Long are the bright spots on With the Beatles for me.  I Wanna Be Your Man is kind of a cute, quirky tune.

It's with "Help!" (1965) that their brilliant period started IMHO.

Completely agreed, but A Hard Day's Night had some good stuff on it too.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 02:22:04 AM »
All My Loving and It Won't Be Long are the bright spots on With the Beatles for me.

Yeah those are my two favourites as well.

Regarding the singles, I've got all of those mentioned on vinyl (my dad bought them at the time). The first Beatles song I ever heard was his copy of She Loves You when I was about 8 - right then and there I knew that this was the band for me. Since then they've been my #1 band of all time, no band has ever come close.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 02:24:23 AM »
I've pretty much been "listening" to The Beatles since I was in the womb - both my folks are HUGE fans, and even though they'd pretty much broken up by the time I was born, they were still all over the radio enough that I just picked up on it from repeated listens.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 02:47:37 AM »
Fun album. It Won't Be Long and All My Loving are classic, and the cover songs are well done. The album cover is iconic as well.

Those singles are pretty great too. The band was on a roll.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 09:10:47 AM »
The album is good, but the debut is still slightly better. As others have said, songs like "It Won't Be Long" and "All My Loving" are at the top of the album, but it's the Singles that really show the band's true strengths.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 01:23:16 PM »
This has to be my least favorite album by The Beatles, although it's far from being bad. All my loving is a classic, I wanna be your man is a great rocker, and I adore the chord progression in It won't be long. The covers are hit and miss on this album, but I'd pick Devil in her heart as the winner in the bunch, it's truly a lovely song.

The singles from this era are fantastic, especially She loves you, I want to hold your hand and This boy. It's a shame it wasn't popular back in the day to include the singles in the album, because the band could have easily got rid of some weaker covers and replaced them with incredible songs of their own.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 01:26:06 PM »
In those days, singles were a lot more common, since bands could release a single without having an album contract.  It was seen as something of a rip-off to include singles on your album, because a lot of people will have already purchased them.  Sometimes the album version would be different from the single version.

Obviously, the attitude today is different, since people will pay for the single on iTunes or whatever, then still buy the album when it comes out a month later.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 01:30:23 PM »
Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.  :tup

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 01:34:54 PM »
The album is good, but the debut is still slightly better. As others have said, songs like "It Won't Be Long" and "All My Loving" are at the top of the album, but it's the Singles that really show the band's true strengths.

-Marc.

Totally agreed.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2013, 09:38:19 AM »
I'm not really a Beatles fan, but I've got a computer and love music / band history so I figured what the fuck.

Following
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Mladen

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 04:55:18 AM »
So, are we still doing this?  ;D

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 05:47:53 AM »
Be patient with me folks... work needs to take its priority for me.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 07:09:42 AM »
Over music?! :omg:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 08:11:02 AM »

No, I don't think I'll ever get over music. Those memories... run pretty deep.

-Marc.

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 09:47:10 AM »

As a professional musician, I lol'd... but yes...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 11:10:30 AM »
Wow, times are tough.  When regular decent people have to put work ahead of music, you know things are bad.

We will wait, patiently.  Some of us will wait impatiently.