Author Topic: Rush Live Tourography - The Permanent Waves Tour (REVISITED - World Tour 1980)  (Read 73330 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Rush Live - The R40 Tour (and possibly their last major tour...)
« Reply #350 on: November 19, 2015, 06:05:50 AM »
I didn't see a show on this tour, but I followed it closely watching tons of videos and downloading a few boots. The band really seemed possessed on this tour especially Neil. He played and sounded spectacularly.

And Scott, I only said wishing War Paint was silly because I think it's literally one of their worst songs. And I love Presto.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #351 on: November 19, 2015, 06:19:25 AM »
They will never satisfy us fans. 

I was to tired of seeing Far Cry on tour.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #352 on: November 19, 2015, 06:25:03 AM »
I didn't see a show on this tour, but I followed it closely watching tons of videos and downloading a few boots. The band really seemed possessed on this tour especially Neil. He played and sounded spectacularly.

And Scott, I only said wishing War Paint was silly because I think it's literally one of their worst songs. And I love Presto.

I don't think Presto is all that fantastic, and I think War Paint is easily in the top 10 of the entire Signals-TFE era.   Fantastic song.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #353 on: November 19, 2015, 06:28:32 AM »

I don't think Presto is all that fantastic, and I think War Paint is easily in the top 10 of the entire Signals-TFE era.   Fantastic song.

I know you are but what am I. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #354 on: November 19, 2015, 07:10:27 AM »
@ Scotty... what would you have had them drop to make those inclusions?  I agree 100% on Animate... it's been done enough - give us something... ANYTHING else from Counterparts, ffs.
Far Cry - drop and switch between HYF and T4E songs (in the appropriate places in the setlist), perhaps Open Secrets or Lock and Key, and T4E or Time and Motion
One Little Victory - either Vapor Trail or Nocturne
Animate - Cut to the Chase or Alien Shore
Roll The Bones - Red Tide or Available Light (if Geddy could manage)
Distant Early Warning - Enemy Within
Subdivisions - The Weapon
Red Barchetta - Witch Hunt (they missed the perfect opportunity to do at least the first 3 parts of Fear)

I only said wishing War Paint was silly because I think it's literally one of their worst songs. And I love Presto.
Agreed, along with about half of both RtB and T4E.

Yeah, but you think T4E is awesome and CP is meh, so your opinion is null and void!   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #355 on: November 19, 2015, 07:19:21 AM »
@ Scotty... what would you have had them drop to make those inclusions?  I agree 100% on Animate... it's been done enough - give us something... ANYTHING else from Counterparts, ffs.
Far Cry - drop and switch between HYF and T4E songs (in the appropriate places in the setlist), perhaps Open Secrets or Lock and Key, and T4E or Time and Motion
One Little Victory - either Vapor Trail or Nocturne
Animate - Cut to the Chase or Alien Shore
Roll The Bones - Red Tide or Available Light (if Geddy could manage)
Distant Early Warning - Enemy Within
Subdivisions - The Weapon
Red Barchetta - Witch Hunt (they missed the perfect opportunity to do at least the first 3 parts of Fear)

I only said wishing War Paint was silly because I think it's literally one of their worst songs. And I love Presto.
Agreed, along with about half of both RtB and T4E.

Yeah, but you think T4E is awesome and CP is meh, so your opinion is null and void!   :biggrin:

Scotty, not arguing with you at all, but asking a question of someone who is closer to the song choices than I am.

Is there any credence to the idea that some songs were included only because they didn't have the learning curve of others?  Meaning, "Hey, let's play something from Counterparts; how about, since we're already learning Losing It and relearning x, Y, Z, let's just do Animate because it's closer to 'ready to go'"?   I don't necessarily mean "taking the easy way out", but a setlist is like a path through the woods or a video game; in some spots there is danger and hard, and in others, there is a spot to breath.

I'm just thinking out loud here.  I don't disagree with the suggestions (though I don't back off from what I said earlier, either). 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #356 on: November 19, 2015, 07:36:46 AM »
That's certainly plausible Stadler. It's either that or they feel strongly about that song, both singularly and as representative of that particular era.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #357 on: November 19, 2015, 11:08:34 AM »
 :rollin

Seriously love you guys!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #358 on: November 19, 2015, 11:18:01 AM »
That's certainly plausible Stadler. It's either that or they feel strongly about that song, both singularly and as representative of that particular era.
I agree with TAC that it's possible, altho I'd wager it's probably more likely to be a particular favorite of their's to perform, as I believe is also the case with RtB. Still wish they would've at least swapped those two out with other songs so at least some of the setlists didn't have them, but nothing can be done about that - their show, so they call the shots.

Seriously love you guys!
And we love you too, just the way we love our weird black-sheep uncle who's been arrested and put in insane asylums for half his life.   

:biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #359 on: November 19, 2015, 06:00:06 PM »
Given what they gave us on the tour, I think just about any criticism of the set list is picking serious nits. 

Animate was a great choice.  It hadn't been played in over 10 years, it is one of their best songs from the 90s, and was a great song to represent that era of them returning to hard rock (1993-1996) before their four years off.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #360 on: December 06, 2015, 12:04:30 PM »
I'm OK with it.

I still think I like the Clockwork Angels DVD better mostly.

But I love the first set, the light show, the fun they're having and Geddy's bass collection.

Offline The Letter M

Re: Rush Live - The Drive 'Til You Die Tour (A Farewell To Kings)
« Reply #361 on: November 12, 2017, 07:55:32 PM »
Nearly two years after this thread had moved on, I've decided to resurrect it given the not-so-recent news that the upcoming 40th Anniversary edition of A Farewell To Kings will feature the ENTIRE Hammersmith Odeon show from 1978. The show, originally released as a single-disc bonus on the band's fourth live album Different Stages, it omitted four tracks - "Lakeside Park", "Closer To The Heart", "2112" and Neil's drum solo. The biggest of these, of course, is the inclusion of "2112", which features "III. Discovery" in its entirety, which was not played in full on the version found on All The World's A Stage. This was the longest version of the song the band had played from the 2112 tour all the way til the Test For Echo Tour in 1996, so having a soundboard recording, officially released mind you, of this version of "2112" is surely a gem to my ears and eyes.

Below is my original post, documenting the Drive 'Til You Die tour, including my original cut of my Rush Live Tours compilation, which will soon be rendered obsolete now that the whole Hammersmith Odeon show will come out. I am super excited to have the WHOLE show, FINALLY, and it makes me wonder if the band have had access to more full soundboards.

The Hemispheres Tour has a couple of great complete soundboards, but from there on, there are some gaps here and there...
-Permanent Waves (though there are many great partials)
-Moving Pictures (the band SURELY have a complete show of this tour somewhere)
-Signals (as far as I know, there are no great soundboards, if any)
-Grace Under Pressure (several soundboards, and one official but partial show, but nothing complete)
-Power Windows (the Philly show is great, but is missing the last 24 minutes of the show, and a cut in "Red Sector A")
-Hold Your Fire (a near complete Birmingham show is the best we've got, missing "Limelight", and a few bits at the end of the show)

After the HYF tour, there have been pretty complete soundboards of great quality, and after TFE, full complete shows (with a few exceptions of some songs, like no soundboard release of "Time And Motion" from the TFE Tour, or "Ceiling Unlimited" from the VT Tour.

I wonder if, in the coming years, we will get 40th Anniversary editions of the 1980's albums and if so, we will be treated to complete shows from those tours?! The PEW and SIG tours are probably ones I'd want the most, as they're probably the most incomplete when it comes to having good boots of them, despite how great the St. Louis 80 show is, it's still incomplete (even with the inclusion of ESL tracks from that tour).

Touring on their first studio album in what would retroactively be named their 2nd Phase, Rush embarked on (what I'm pretty sure was) their longest tour yet, or at least, the one with the most dates, covering North America from August 17, 1977 to May 28, 1978

Opened For: Blue Oyster Cult
Opening Bands: UFO, Max Webster, AC/DC, Cheap Trick, Pat Travers, The Babys, Hush, Grinderswitch, Crawler, Uriah Heep

According to the Power Windows website, they still did opening sets, but only for Blue Oyster Cult. Otherwise, they were headlining, and with 5 albums worth of material, they had a LOT of music to choose from to cover.

This is the last tour Rush performed any shows as a supporting band. Although shows early in the tour featured a setlist with "Cygnus X-1" preceding "Something For Nothing", eventually those songs traded places and the setlist was standardized for the rest of the tour with the exception being that "Anthem" was dropped occasionally for unknown reasons. This is the last tour to include the song "Fly By Night".

Bastille Day
Lakeside Park
By-Tor and the Snow Dog (abbreviated)->
Xanadu
A Farewell to Kings
Something For Nothing
Cygnus X-1
Anthem (dropped from 12/10/77, 2/17 & 2/23/78 shows)
Closer To The Heart
2112 (minus Oracle)
Working Man
Fly by Night
In The Mood
Drum Solo
Encore: Cinderella Man

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

This tour's compilation mostly comes from the official live release of a AFTK show in the Different Stages live set. However, three songs (and Neil's solo) were missing/taken out of the Hammersmith Odeon show - "Lakeside Park", "Closer To The Heart", "2112", the last two likely due to their inclusion in the first disc of Different Stages from the Test For Echo Tour.
With that in mind, I chose one of the better sounding Audience recordings of that tour to fill in the gaps.

Rush - A Farewell To Kings Tour - 94:50
(Live In London, UK on 2/19/78)
(Different Stages - Official Release)

Disc 1 - 47:22
 1. Bastille Day       5:05
 2. Lakeside Park*       4:26
 3. By-Tor & The Snow Dog    5:11
 4. Xanadu         12:21
 5. A Farewell To Kings       5:54
 6. Something For Nothing    4:00
 7. Cygnus X-1         10:25

Disc 2 - 47:28
 1. Anthem          4:54
 2. Closer To The Heart*    3:10
 3. 2112*         19:08
 4. Working Man          4:00
 5. Fly By Night       2:04
 6. In The Mood          2:36
 7. Drum Solo*          5:25
 8. Cinderella Man       5:09

*Missing songs fillled in by:
(Ron's Vault Release #5 - AUD)
(Live In Fresno, CA on 9/28/77)

32:09 - Non-SB Sourced

The Hammersmith show is pretty good, and being an official release, it's not hard to have any better, despite the 3 missing pieces, although any die-hard Rush fan wouldn't mind not having CTTH on a release (though this would be the first tour with it), or "Lakeside Park" (with the ATWAS version sufficing). The true missing gem would be a slightly longer version of "2112" than presented on ATWAS, but that's not a BIG loss.

As for the rest of the show itself, it's pretty amazing! You get FOUR new songs from the then-new album, as well as the awe-inspiring medley of "By-Tor & The Snow Dog"/"Xanadu".

To end the show, we get yet another "Working Man" Medley, and the unusual decision to put a NEW song in the encore (something the band has rarely done, but would later do on tours in the 80's). Over-all, this set list is as expected for this tour, although one might miss complete versions of songs from their first two albums, they now had 3 songs over 10-minutes long being played, and with that number of epics, they had to shortened songs. Which I am perfectly okay with considering how great "Cygnus X-1, Book I: The Voyage" is.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Rush Live - The Drive 'Til You Die Tour (A Farewell To Kings) REVISITED!!!
« Reply #362 on: November 15, 2017, 09:38:36 PM »
New to this thread, appreciate the work involved, and taking my time with it to savor the info (and memories).
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #363 on: November 16, 2017, 12:04:33 AM »
Drop Animate, give us CTTC.. :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #364 on: November 16, 2017, 05:31:04 PM »
Nearly two years after this thread had moved on, I've decided to resurrect it given the not-so-recent news that the upcoming 40th Anniversary edition of A Farewell To Kings will feature the ENTIRE Hammersmith Odeon show from 1978. The show, originally released as a single-disc bonus on the band's fourth live album Different Stages, it omitted four tracks - "Lakeside Park", "Closer To The Heart", "2112" and Neil's drum solo. The biggest of these, of course, is the inclusion of "2112", which features "III. Discovery" in its entirety, which was not played in full on the version found on All The World's A Stage. This was the longest version of the song the band had played from the 2112 tour all the way til the Test For Echo Tour in 1996, so having a soundboard recording, officially released mind you, of this version of "2112" is surely a gem to my ears and eyes.

Below is my original post, documenting the Drive 'Til You Die tour, including my original cut of my Rush Live Tours compilation, which will soon be rendered obsolete now that the whole Hammersmith Odeon show will come out. I am super excited to have the WHOLE show, FINALLY, and it makes me wonder if the band have had access to more full soundboards.

The Hemispheres Tour has a couple of great complete soundboards, but from there on, there are some gaps here and there...
-Permanent Waves (though there are many great partials)
-Moving Pictures (the band SURELY have a complete show of this tour somewhere)
-Signals (as far as I know, there are no great soundboards, if any)
-Grace Under Pressure (several soundboards, and one official but partial show, but nothing complete)
-Power Windows (the Philly show is great, but is missing the last 24 minutes of the show, and a cut in "Red Sector A")
-Hold Your Fire (a near complete Birmingham show is the best we've got, missing "Limelight", and a few bits at the end of the show)

After the HYF tour, there have been pretty complete soundboards of great quality, and after TFE, full complete shows (with a few exceptions of some songs, like no soundboard release of "Time And Motion" from the TFE Tour, or "Ceiling Unlimited" from the VT Tour.

I wonder if, in the coming years, we will get 40th Anniversary editions of the 1980's albums and if so, we will be treated to complete shows from those tours?! The PEW and SIG tours are probably ones I'd want the most, as they're probably the most incomplete when it comes to having good boots of them, despite how great the St. Louis 80 show is, it's still incomplete (even with the inclusion of ESL tracks from that tour).

Soundboards are nice and all but there a bunch of really great performances on audience recordings that I think that are just as good if not better.   Many of them can likely be found earlier in this thread.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #365 on: November 21, 2017, 11:38:16 AM »
Soundboards are nice and all but there a bunch of really great performances on audience recordings that I think that are just as good if not better.   Many of them can likely be found earlier in this thread.

Oh I am sure there are plenty of great A-level audience recordings out there, especially based on performance alone, but the kind of polish that some soundboards have just elevate the recordings for me to my ears. Mostly, though, I just look for COMPLETE shows, soundboard or not, and some of my personal tour shows I keep in a CD-r Wallet as my Complete Tours Set are full audience shows (like the ATWAS and Signals tours).

I'm just saying, if there's a chance that Rush themselves have at LEAST one decent, complete soundboard from each tour, it would be a treat for us fans if they released them with whatever upcoming anniversary sets they may do. I know we already have a few complete soundboards from the Hemispheres tour, but I'd be excited if they released a whole show with proper mixing and mastering. And of course, the complete St. Louis 80 would be a treat as that show sounds so crisp already, having the whole thing would be amazing.

I guess, until then, we do have amazing soundboards AND audience shows that circulate (though it seems in the last decade or so, discoveries of un-released ROIO's have slimmed down).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #366 on: November 22, 2017, 08:17:42 PM »
It would be great if that St. Louis 1980 show were complete, but it was originally released as a radio broadcast (2 LPs 90 minutes) so I think that even if those tapes survived, they aren't in releasable shape.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #367 on: January 12, 2020, 12:28:25 AM »
Some shameless bumping here, but with the news, I decided to revisit my live Rush Tourography albums in my car during my commutes. Hearing the young, 1974 Neil Peart bang away at those early Rush songs is invigorating and inspiring. I wonder if any of those kids at those Cleveland shows ever stayed fans, kept going to their concerts through the 70s and the 80s, stuck it out through 90s and 00s, and have stayed fans all this time. I wonder how many of them at the Agora Ballroom are now mourning the loss of the drummer they saw back then, the NEW guy in the band.

Anyways, I figured it might be fun for folks to revisit this thread in addition to Kev's amazing Discography Thread. Not only were Rush a very prolific and talented studio band, but their live shows were no slouch either, and they produced some of the best rock concerts throughout the decades. I would love to hear folks' thoughts on various tours, shows they remember, favorite Neil drum solos, etc. The band were a beast of a live act, and I am glad that they were able to bow out when they did, with style and grace, and on their own terms. Starting at the 74 Rush tour, I am excited to revisit all of he tours and shows I have, but sad to approach the end, knowing that R40 is the end. To quote Marillion - "Happiness ain't at the end of the road / Happiness IS the road".

-Marc.

Offline Lupton

Re: Rush Live - The Grace Under Pressure Tour
« Reply #368 on: January 12, 2020, 01:40:38 AM »
Sorry total newbie here and I apologize for butting in like this. I've been following this thread since the Tour of the Spheres. Many thanks to Nick for hosting these show!   :hefdaddy

So...I pulled down the GUP show only to find that it is actually really a superb soundboard recording from the Power Windows tour (4/16/86) .  So it looks like we got an album ahead. All good end results though....as I've normally just lurked and read on these forums, noticing this caused me to register and post here for the 1st time just so I could point this out. Any chance of hearing a show from the GUP tour? (I've always wanted to hear Kid Gloves live)

Anyway. Great thread and again many thanks to Nick for the shows. Soundboard recordings of Rush on ANY tour are a great thing to have!

^^ This is why I registered on this forum. All hail Nick!!

[edit: Still want to hear Kid Gloves Live!]

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #369 on: January 12, 2020, 06:23:17 AM »
Some shameless bumping here, but with the news, I decided to revisit my live Rush Tourography albums in my car during my commutes. Hearing the young, 1974 Neil Peart bang away at those early Rush songs is invigorating and inspiring. I wonder if any of those kids at those Cleveland shows ever stayed fans, kept going to their concerts through the 70s and the 80s, stuck it out through 90s and 00s, and have stayed fans all this time. I wonder how many of them at the Agora Ballroom are now mourning the loss of the drummer they saw back then, the NEW guy in the band.

Anyways, I figured it might be fun for folks to revisit this thread in addition to Kev's amazing Discography Thread. Not only were Rush a very prolific and talented studio band, but their live shows were no slouch either, and they produced some of the best rock concerts throughout the decades. I would love to hear folks' thoughts on various tours, shows they remember, favorite Neil drum solos, etc. The band were a beast of a live act, and I am glad that they were able to bow out when they did, with style and grace, and on their own terms. Starting at the 74 Rush tour, I am excited to revisit all of he tours and shows I have, but sad to approach the end, knowing that R40 is the end. To quote Marillion - "Happiness ain't at the end of the road / Happiness IS the road".

I am planning on doing the same. I will get through the studio albums first, and then revisit some of my boots.

Offline DTA

Re: Rush Live Tourography - The Drive 'Til You Die Tour (AFTK REVISITED)
« Reply #370 on: January 12, 2020, 07:06:03 AM »
I'm going to have to dig through this thread. Setlist data and song inclusion is a huge fascination of mine, with Rush being especially interesting. They are one of the only bands I can think of whose setlists got way better as their careers went on. Most older bands just stick to the hits, a token song or two off whatever new album they're promoting, and call it a night after 1.5 hours.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #371 on: January 12, 2020, 10:20:16 AM »
I'm going to have to dig through this thread. Setlist data and song inclusion is a huge fascination of mine, with Rush being especially interesting. They are one of the only bands I can think of whose setlists got way better as their careers went on. Most older bands just stick to the hits, a token song or two off whatever new album they're promoting, and call it a night after 1.5 hours.

I hope you find all the information that I, and others, have presented here useful to you! A lot of what I shared came from the PowerWindows website, which has (had?) a comprehensive tour page with dates and setlist variations and other useful tidbits. I also used the Rush ROIO website Digital Rush Experience - an encyclopedic archive of tour bootlegs and shows. Between those sources, I cobbled together my own personal Live Discography that covers the best shows from each tour (based on sound and completeness of show). It's amazing how many soundboards and great audience bootlegs have existed for this band over the years and that the fans have been able to keep track of much of it!

The 70s and 80s shows are some of their best, and I agree with you about Rush being able to keep their sets fresh. They didn't rely on the same 10-12 hits each tour, but strove to show off their new material, and up to Counterparts, played more than half of their new album live throughout each tour! A shame they didn't do that for Vapor Trails (though they did make up for it with an odd new song here and there in the last decade of their touring). And even when they didn't have a lot of new material to promote (R30, Time Machine Tour, R40), they still found a way to make their setlists exciting!

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #372 on: January 12, 2020, 07:34:06 PM »
Sorry total newbie here and I apologize for butting in like this. I've been following this thread since the Tour of the Spheres. Many thanks to Nick for hosting these show!   :hefdaddy

So...I pulled down the GUP show only to find that it is actually really a superb soundboard recording from the Power Windows tour (4/16/86) .  So it looks like we got an album ahead. All good end results though....as I've normally just lurked and read on these forums, noticing this caused me to register and post here for the 1st time just so I could point this out. Any chance of hearing a show from the GUP tour? (I've always wanted to hear Kid Gloves live)

Anyway. Great thread and again many thanks to Nick for the shows. Soundboard recordings of Rush on ANY tour are a great thing to have!

I believe 9/27/84 is your ticket for that.  And of course several other good shows from that tour.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #373 on: January 12, 2020, 07:36:57 PM »

-Marc.

When I get the desire back again, I've already decided I'm going with 8/14/74. (and perhaps the JR Flood demos.) and the 2002 Hartford show won't be far behind. Maybe I'll use that to kick it off.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #374 on: January 12, 2020, 07:39:01 PM »

I think the performances got better too. At least through the Clockwork Angels tour.  Last several weeks of R40 were pretty sweet too.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #375 on: January 13, 2020, 08:20:40 AM »

I am planning on doing the same. I will get through the studio albums first, and then revisit some of my boots.

I listened and watched R40 on Friday evening, had the iPod on shuffle in the car all weekend. Starting today with Fly By Night and going through Clockwork Angels, then onto all the boots I have.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #376 on: January 15, 2020, 08:19:41 AM »

I listened and watched R40 on Friday evening, had the iPod on shuffle in the car all weekend. Starting today with Fly By Night and going through Clockwork Angels, then onto all the boots I have.

I really need to watch R40 again, but I think as I go through my live albums, I'll watch the live videos as I come up through them chronologically. I'm near the end of my FBN Tour show right now, so it might take awhile for me to get to the first video (Exit...Stage Left), but it'll be a pretty immersive dive into Live Rush if I keep going in chronological order. I may have to pepper in the studio albums in-between the live ones, too, just to get the songs that they never played live (looking at you "The Fountain Of Lamneth"...).

-Marc.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: January 15, 2020, 08:30:43 AM »
I spent the whole weekend working on my car, both days, so I had a rotation of CDs in the six-disk changer in the garage.  First day was SOA, Gov't Mule, and Neal Morse.  But second day was all Rush; at one point The Fountain of Lamneth came on and I caught myself just spacing out and connecting to the music.  I really like their first couple with Neil (you can have the debut).  I think the only song on FBN or COS I don't like is "I Think I'm Going Bald". 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #378 on: January 15, 2020, 12:15:18 PM »
I think the only song on FBN or COS I don't like is "I Think I'm Going Bald".
The truth hurts doesn't it!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: January 15, 2020, 12:36:06 PM »
I think the only song on FBN or COS I don't like is "I Think I'm Going Bald".
The truth hurts doesn't it!

HAHA!  It hits too close to home.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #380 on: January 15, 2020, 06:14:18 PM »

I believe 9/27/84 is your ticket for that.  And of course several other good shows from that tour.

Thanks ytserush. I checked out the 9/27 show plus the links you left earlier in the thread on page 5 -- at least the ones that still work.

I found the pre-GUP version of Kid Gloves that you mentioned from Radio City:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr0xBY6alZs

So strange to hear this after being so familiar with the studio recording as the arrangement and vocal melody are a little different.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #381 on: January 17, 2020, 08:15:24 PM »

I really need to watch R40 again, but I think as I go through my live albums, I'll watch the live videos as I come up through them chronologically. I'm near the end of my FBN Tour show right now, so it might take awhile for me to get to the first video (Exit...Stage Left), but it'll be a pretty immersive dive into Live Rush if I keep going in chronological order. I may have to pepper in the studio albums in-between the live ones, too, just to get the songs that they never played live (looking at you "The Fountain Of Lamneth"...).

-Marc.

Wouldn't the 1976 Capitol Theater show come first? It's an official release now.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #382 on: January 17, 2020, 08:19:36 PM »

Thanks ytserush. I checked out the 9/27 show plus the links you left earlier in the thread on page 5 -- at least the ones that still work.

I found the pre-GUP version of Kid Gloves that you mentioned from Radio City:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr0xBY6alZs

So strange to hear this after being so familiar with the studio recording as the arrangement and vocal melody are a little different.

Those pre-release versions can be a bit weird. Usually the solos are different and there are some slight changes in arrangement.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #383 on: January 18, 2020, 06:12:43 PM »

-Marc.

Wouldn't the 1976 Capitol Theater show come first? It's an official release now.

That's a fair point. I was only considering the shows that were released not long after they were recorded (ESL, ASOH, RIR, etc.). I might have to watch this tonight since it's been awhile since I've seen it!

-Marc.

Offline DTA

« Reply #384 on: January 19, 2020, 09:38:06 AM »
Anyone have any setlist decisions Rush made that make you go "wtf?" The perpetual absence of Oracle from 2112 until the T4E tour always seemed like such a bizarre omission. It's like a 2-minute segment and they played the entire song every show through the Hemispheres tour so they definitely had time to include it. Also, the AFTK tour having Cinderella Man as an encore seems bizarre (same with Grand Designs on PoW too). I feel like they don't really fit in an encore even though they're great songs.