Author Topic: Rush Live Tourography - The Permanent Waves Tour (REVISITED - World Tour 1980)  (Read 73694 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Rush Live Tourography - The Drive 'Til You Die Tour (AFTK REVISITED)
« Reply #385 on: January 19, 2020, 09:42:27 AM »
How about Rush playing at a radio station when Neil first joined the band and the bridge and chorus for Fly By Night was reversed. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #386 on: January 19, 2020, 09:46:48 AM »
Focusing on the tours I saw (1991-2015), One Little Victory being an encore on the S&A tour was a major WTF. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #387 on: January 19, 2020, 08:46:01 PM »
Focusing on the tours I saw (1991-2015), One Little Victory being an encore on the S&A tour was a major WTF.
And from that same tour, having them open the whole show with Limelight.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #388 on: January 24, 2020, 12:05:24 PM »
If I have to sit through Limelight, it makes sense to me to get it out of the way first.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #389 on: January 24, 2020, 12:36:41 PM »
If I have to sit through Limelight, it makes sense to me to get it out of the way first.

I liked that they opened with that and got it out of the way.

Edit: Wrong Tour....:facepalm:
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #390 on: January 24, 2020, 12:58:18 PM »
I would think Limelight would be a fantastic opening track.

It's a much better opening track than The Big Money or Force 10.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #391 on: January 24, 2020, 06:01:09 PM »
I don't know, man.  The Big Money is a great opener in my view.  That huge chord coming in right after the Three Stooges theme and general high energy of the song makes it one of my favorites Rush concert openers.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #392 on: January 24, 2020, 06:04:45 PM »
I thought Limelight was a great opener on the S&A tour, and if my memory serves me right, it was the first tour where the opening song was a song that wasn't track 1 on its original studio album.  My only beef with opening with Limelight is that it seemed like it was played a touch slower than normal, so it didn't quite have the live punch that it normally did.

The Big Money was an awesome opener, but of course I am biased in its favor since A Show of Hands was pretty much what got me into Rush, and it opening the set the way it did was key, and then of course Marathon, the second song, won me over for life.  :coolio

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #393 on: January 24, 2020, 06:18:26 PM »
I didn't say Big Money sucked as an opener. I just said Limelight is better, but the pace can certainly hinder it.

I do think that Force 10 is a terrible opener.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: January 24, 2020, 06:23:11 PM »
I still remember Grand Designs as an encore on the Power Windows tour. It was out of place.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #395 on: January 24, 2020, 06:25:19 PM »
I still remember Grand Designs as an encore on the Power Windows tour. It was out of place.

Oh for sure.

But it would be out of place anywhere in the set.  :P

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: January 24, 2020, 06:26:32 PM »
Lol. No.  It was fantastic on the CA tour.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #397 on: January 24, 2020, 07:00:50 PM »
Don’t forget “Red Lenses” during the encore on the Grace Under Pressure tour.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: January 24, 2020, 08:04:28 PM »
Don’t forget “Red Lenses” during the encore on the Grace Under Pressure tour.

Oh I saw it live.  Fastway opened.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #399 on: January 25, 2020, 02:13:34 AM »
 Finding My Way (the full version) would be a great opener!  :hat
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Rush Live - The Drive 'Til You Die Tour (A Farewell To Kings) REVISITED!!!
« Reply #400 on: January 25, 2020, 02:22:32 AM »

I am planning on doing the same. I will get through the studio albums first, and then revisit some of my boots.
I listened and watched R40 on Friday evening, had the iPod on shuffle in the car all weekend. Starting today with Fly By Night and going through Clockwork Angels, then onto all the boots I have.

I really need to watch R40 again, but I think as I go through my live albums, I'll watch the live videos as I come up through them chronologically. I'm near the end of my FBN Tour show right now, so it might take awhile for me to get to the first video (Exit...Stage Left), but it'll be a pretty immersive dive into Live Rush if I keep going in chronological order. I may have to pepper in the studio albums in-between the live ones, too, just to get the songs that they never played live (looking at you "The Fountain Of Lamneth"...).

-Marc.

Wouldn't the 1976 Capitol Theater show come first? It's an official release now.
Is this available as just the show, or do you have to order it with a box set or something?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Letter M

Re: Rush Live - The Drive 'Til You Die Tour (A Farewell To Kings) REVISITED!!!
« Reply #401 on: January 25, 2020, 07:33:24 AM »

I am planning on doing the same. I will get through the studio albums first, and then revisit some of my boots.
I listened and watched R40 on Friday evening, had the iPod on shuffle in the car all weekend. Starting today with Fly By Night and going through Clockwork Angels, then onto all the boots I have.

I really need to watch R40 again, but I think as I go through my live albums, I'll watch the live videos as I come up through them chronologically. I'm near the end of my FBN Tour show right now, so it might take awhile for me to get to the first video (Exit...Stage Left), but it'll be a pretty immersive dive into Live Rush if I keep going in chronological order. I may have to pepper in the studio albums in-between the live ones, too, just to get the songs that they never played live (looking at you "The Fountain Of Lamneth"...).

-Marc.

Wouldn't the 1976 Capitol Theater show come first? It's an official release now.
Is this available as just the show, or do you have to order it with a box set or something?

It was released in the 2112 40th Anniversary sets, as a DVD with the 2CD (and larger) edition(s).

I stumbled across it on YouTube the other day and watched it as I have not yet purchased any version of the 2112 40th Anniversary set. Definitely a treat to see such early Rush on a fairly well-captured live video, for its time.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #402 on: January 25, 2020, 11:22:32 AM »
Thanks for the info,  this is a must have for me!

Online Lupton

« Reply #403 on: January 25, 2020, 04:06:23 PM »
I didn't say Big Money sucked as an opener. I just said Limelight is better, but the pace can certainly hinder it.

I do think that Force 10 is a terrible opener.

Very 1st Rush show was the Presto tour. It was a life changing experience. Force 10 was the 1st cut they played. For the uninitiated it set the pace right from the start. I was with 2 other non-fans. All three of us were blown away. My very 1st Rush concert memory. Force Ten. Killer opener.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #404 on: January 25, 2020, 04:31:12 PM »
Well, alright then! ;D

Online Lupton

« Reply #405 on: January 25, 2020, 04:51:03 PM »
Well, alright then! ;D

All good man! Very rarely like to disagree with people's opinions, because they're all valid in my book. But that was one there was no way I could let go unchallenged, as it went back to the very core of my Rush indoctrination. Some very excellent bait (no way I could learn to resist!). Carry on good sir!  :hat

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: January 25, 2020, 07:28:57 PM »
Tim is no good sir! :lol

Love you Tim.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #407 on: January 25, 2020, 07:52:36 PM »
 :natalieportman: :natalieportman:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #410 on: January 25, 2020, 08:22:54 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #412 on: January 25, 2020, 08:34:20 PM »
Remind me to draw up a Do Not Resuscitate.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #413 on: January 25, 2020, 08:43:28 PM »
mouth to mouth
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: January 25, 2020, 08:44:52 PM »
I'd love to see the life slowly go from his eyes. Lol

Offline The Letter M

Re: Rush Live - The Tour Of The Hemispheres (Hemispheres Tour)
« Reply #415 on: January 28, 2020, 09:57:26 PM »
The Tour Of The Hemispheres began October 14, 1978, two weeks before the album Hemispheres was officially released, and ended on June 4, 1979, with nearly 9 months of solid touring taking them all over North America and Europe.

Opening Bands: Max Webster, Ambrosia, April Wine, Golden Earring, Madcats, The Good Rats, Head East, Molly Hatchet, Pat Travers, Starz, Saxon, Wild Horses, UFO, Streetheart

The setlist remained the same throughout this tour until "Circumstances" was dropped during the UK dates. In addition to "Circumstances", "Something for Nothing" and "Cygnus X-1" were dropped from the setlist for the remaining dates of the continental European tour. Rush closed the tour with a performance at the Pink Pop Festival where they played a unique ten song set.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

For my representation of this tour, I chose a whole show, and arguably the best Soundboard Bootleg of the whole tour, "A Desert Passage PE", from Tucson, AZ. Their first show there, but it's a complete setlist, with one substitution to fill in a cut during "Hemispheres", but otherwise, it's a great combination of completeness and sound quality.
Thanks to NICK for uploading the show:

www.nickeh.com/botm/rush1978-11-20.rar

Rush - Hemispheres Tour - 121:16
(Live In Tucson, AZ on 11/20/78)
(A Desert Passage PE - SBD)

Disc 1 - 69:00
 1. Intro          0:54
 2. Anthem            4:18
 3. A Passage To Bangkok      3:54
 4. By-Tor & The Snow Dog      5:20
 5. Xanadu           12:18
 6. Something for Nothing      4:30
 7. The Trees            4:39
 8. Cygnus X-1        10:45
 9. Hemispheres         18:58
10. Closer To The Heart      3:24

Disc 2 - 52:16
 1. Circumstances         4:37
 2. A Farewell To Kings      5:35
 3. La Villa Strangiato      10:05
 4. 2112            19:12
 5. Working Man         3:09
 6. Bastille Day         1:43
 7. In The Mood         2:41
 8. Drum Solo            5:14

NOTE - During the show, there was some of Geddy asking the audience to calm down as they were pushing against the stage. In my version, I edited out all of his banter to the audience about calming down, just to create a smoother show, so the track times are different above than the normally released show. Read more about it here: https://www.digitalrushexperience.com/database/review.php?RecordingID=31

For me, the Tour Of The Hemispheres was one of the band's greatest setlists (that is, until a COS Headliner show surfaces :lol ). They play ALL FOUR songs from their new album, most of their previous album (four songs from AFTK), the longest version of "2112" they've played to date (and what amounts to about half of the album 2112), and the rest of their best-of from their first three albums (despite COS's only representation being a snippet of "Bastille Day").

Also, once again, the song "Nights, Winters, Years" by Justin Hayward and John Lodge (of The Moody Blues) is used as the Intro Tape music before the band came on stage, and on this show, you can hear Neil and Alex 'warming up' over the track before they start the show. It's fun to hear Neil just rock out with some crazy drum fills!

The show begins with a truncated version of "Anthem" (with the 2nd verse missing), then moves to a rousing performance of "A Passage To Bangkok". Then we are treated to the wonderful medley of "By-Tor" and "Xanadu", followed by the closing track from 2112. Next comes an unstoppable run of songs that close out the first disc of the set with "The Trees" seguing into "Cygnus X-1", and "Hemispheres" seguing into "Closer To The Heart".

And speaking of segues, "A Farewell To Kings" goes right in to "La Villa Strangiato", and then the main show ends with one of my favorite recorded versions of "2112" (right up there with St. Louis '80, and of course, the one from Different Stages). The "Working Man Medley" continues to be the encore, and instead of including "Finding My Way" or "Fly By Night", a bit of "Bastille Day" makes an appearance, and of course, the show closes with The Professor on the Drum Kit.

If you've never heard a show from this tour, or this show in particular, GET IT. It's one of the best Rush ROIO's out there, and if I had to give anyone a few shows to start with collecting bootlegs, this would be one of them!

-Marc.

So I've recently been listening to this one again in my car during my commutes around town, to and from work, and it *always* impresses me. Such a crisp soundboard for its time, and the set list is amazing. The fact that this show features both books of Cygnus X-1, as well as Xanadu, LVS, AND 2112, it covers nearly all of the band's epics up to that point. I can only imagine how nuts a Hemispheres Tour would have been had they played a 3 hour show like they did in their 21st century tours.

Again, if you're a fan of live Rush, do yourself a favor and get a hold of this show, or any of the great boots from the Tour Of The Hemispheres, especially if you're a big fan of their pre-Permanent Waves material.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #416 on: January 29, 2020, 08:01:02 AM »
I love that word "Hemisheres", and that may be my favorite name for a tour: "Tour Of The Hemispheres".  It works on about five different levels. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #417 on: January 29, 2020, 07:04:19 PM »
I love that word "Hemisheres", and that may be my favorite name for a tour: "Tour Of The Hemispheres".  It works on about five different levels.

Always loved the Semi-Tour of Some Of The Hemispheres myself.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #418 on: March 04, 2020, 10:58:13 AM »
So I am nearing the final stretch of my Tourography re-listen binge, and I'm in the middle of Rush In Rio during my commutes around town. This was one of the first Rush CDs I ever got after getting into the band, and listening to this show again brings me back to those days of discovering them!

I also forgot just how HARD they rocked on this show, and how awesome the audience is. You can really feel their energy in the way they chant and sing along, especially to songs like YYZ and Tom Sawyer, and that one bit near the end of Natural Science.

I am tempted to go back and watch the Rush In Rio DVD sometime soon as well, as it is a landmark performance for the band, and a visual treat from what I remember. I recall watching that DVD many times when I was younger, and being glued to the screen during the concert and the documentary!

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #419 on: March 14, 2020, 07:21:36 PM »
So I am nearing the final stretch of my Tourography re-listen binge, and I'm in the middle of Rush In Rio during my commutes around town. This was one of the first Rush CDs I ever got after getting into the band, and listening to this show again brings me back to those days of discovering them!

I also forgot just how HARD they rocked on this show, and how awesome the audience is. You can really feel their energy in the way they chant and sing along, especially to songs like YYZ and Tom Sawyer, and that one bit near the end of Natural Science.

I am tempted to go back and watch the Rush In Rio DVD sometime soon as well, as it is a landmark performance for the band, and a visual treat from what I remember. I recall watching that DVD many times when I was younger, and being glued to the screen during the concert and the documentary!

-Marc.

I watch the DVD more often.  I did listen to the CDs for the first time in YEARS a few months back it was better than I remember it soundwise but to enjoy the whole experience the DVD is really special.