Author Topic: Rush Live Tourography - The Permanent Waves Tour (REVISITED - World Tour 1980)  (Read 73535 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Rush Live - The Rush Tour (And Introduction)
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 04:28:35 PM »
I also wanted to say that I can make copies of my Live Tour show mixes for anyone who wants them, but I'll either have to be send CD-rs, or do some sort of trade, mostly because since much of the source material is culled from free bootlegs, I can't charge people outright for them. If I'm sent blank CD-r's (1 for each of the first four tours, 2 from ATWAS to CP, and 3 from TFE to now), I could burn the shows onto them (all are WAV/lossless format) and send them back. It's just very time-consuming to upload them anywhere, especially since my internet connection at home is pretty slow.

Anyways, back to the tour discussion - Yes, it really is captivating how Neil really energizes the songs from the debut. One might argue that he overplays a bit, making his arrangements very busy in comparison to Rutsey's parts, but I think the songs are composed/arranged in such a way that allows the drum parts for very open interpretation. Also, being only 3 guys, busier drums sort of fill out the sound a bit. I was watching the clips of them playing with Rutsey on the Beyond The Light Stage bonus DVD a couple weeks ago, and I couldn't help but nearly HEAR Neil's live parts over Rutsey's, which really didn't deviate from the album much. He was a capable player, for sure, but he seemed unsure at times and nervous, as well as a bit unwilling to play out/extend his performing reach, unlike Alex and his changed/extended solos, or Geddy with his increasing falsetto wailing.

Neil could expand his parts on the same level that Alex and Geddy were already doing, and so when they hit the US and Cleveland, they definitely grew as a trio, together, rather than just being 3 guys playing on a stage. And you can really hear some of the synergy they shared in these early Cleveland shows.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 05:03:58 PM »
It's such a raw beginning with Geddy and Alex Feeling our Neil.  I love it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2013, 10:09:58 PM »
What about the 12/6/74 show at Electric Lady Studios in New York City? Sounds like it would have been lucky to find a dozen people there. Although the performance might not be as great, it sounds pretty close to those Cleveland shows and features "quiet and nervous" Geddy in between songs.

Strangely, there are about 10 or so recordings from this tour, more than both the Fly By Night and Caress of Steel Tours combined. Neil's debut, although extremely historic, is clearly the worst of these.

Were you thinking about including video footage? If you are, those three Don Kirchner's performances in December 1974 would have to be included.

Good idea! I had not thought about including any video footage, but anyone is more than welcome to "add to the pot" of this stew, so to speak. If anyone wants to post relevant videos/songs/performances in this, I highly encourage you to do so! It'll help generate and continue discussion, as well as enlighten many readers/posters here.

-Marc.

Well, those three videos, which have been in collectors circles since the mid-70's finally made it to DVD release (so I probably shouldn't post them here) Two of them ended up on R30 in the same poor quality as the first video I ever bought with them on it for $35.
I forget where the debut of Best I Can ended up. Now that I think of it, maybe that is still out there as unreleased.

Nick:
I will warn everyone in advance that some of these shows are in .shn format, so you might want to download codecs/a good media player accordingly if you plan to follow all of these.

Scarily enough, I've memorized a good chunk of these shows from having listened to them over the years. When that fails, I'll walk over and grab the appropriate CD.

I forgot to add that those Cleveland performances and that Electric Ladyland show are kind of a contrast in audiences.

There couldn't have been many people at that New York show, either by design or not many people were aware of it. Even though it seemed like an unplugged setting with the quiet and respectful clapping, they still got their faces melted off by the band. I always thought that was pretty cool.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2013, 01:15:40 PM »
I know I own that Electric Ladyland show somewhere, but I haven't listened to it in a very long time. Interesting about the small studio audience. I'll have to give it a listen again really soon if I can find it!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 05:52:49 PM »
I know I own that Electric Ladyland show somewhere, but I haven't listened to it in a very long time. Interesting about the small studio audience. I'll have to give it a listen again really soon if I can find it!

-Marc.

It's like 12/5 or 12/6/1974 (It still amazes me I remember this crap). You'll know it when you hear it. There's no other show like it in that regard.

Offline The Letter M

Re: Rush Live - The Fly By Night Tour
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2013, 10:05:08 AM »
With the release of the band's second album, their first with 'new' drummer Neil Peart, they embarked on a tour which started on Valentine's Day 1975, up to the end of June that year. It was a short tour compared to their first, although they traveled all across North America through the US and Canada. Once more, they opened for KISS and Blue Oyster Cult, but they also opened for The Tubes and Aerosmith (yes, that Aerosmith, for 3 dates), as well as a slew of other headlining acts (like REO Speedwagon and Styx, Ted Nugent, Thin Lizzy, and Nazareth). As Eric at the Power Windows site states:

Unfortunately, little is known of this tour as there are only two unofficial live recordings in circulation. Comparison between the first recording in Cleveland on April 7, 1975, and the later performance recorded in Toronto on June 25th, 1975, show only minor changes such as moving "What You're Doing" to the encore, adding "By-Tor And The Snow Dog", and dropping "Bad Boy".

Because it was such a short tour, only 2 known shows have been recorded (each with 5 bootleg titles). What can be assumed is that Rush's and KISS's relationships as fellow touring bands grew even more, as seen in the Beyond The Lighted Stage documentary.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Having only 2 shows available to cull from for my mix for this tour, I chose the Agora Ballroom show from Cleveland (once more), as the base of the tour, while adding "By-Tor & The Snow Dog" to the middle of the show, the only song played on the later date not in the first show.

And thanks again to Nick, here's the Cleveland show for all to enjoy!
"Bad Boys In Cleveland" Cleveland, OH on 5/15/75 - www.nickeh.com/botm/rush1975-05-15.rar

Rush - Fly By Night Tour - 65:36
(Live In Cleveland, OH on 5/15/75)
(Bad Boys In Cleveland - FM Broadcast)

Disc 1 - 65:36
 1. Finding My Way - 4:56
 2. The Best I Can - 3:41
 3. What You're Doing - 5:08
 4. Anthem - 4:16
 5. Beneath, Between & Behind - 3:03
 6. In The End - 6:39
 7. Fly By Night - 2:51
 8. By-Tor & The Snow Dog* - 9:57
 9. Working Man - 10:31
10. Drum Solo - 3:00
11. In The Mood - 3:13
12. Need Some Love - 3:18
13. Bad Boy - 5:03

*(Live In Toronto, OT on 6/25/75)
 (The Age of Wonders - AUD)

As for the tour itself, they played 6 out of 8 songs from their new album (the unplayed ones being "Making Memories" and "Rivendell"), as well as bringing back 5 songs from their first album tour (the one being left out was "Here Again"), but they bring out "Bad Boy" once more. However, of the 6 songs from the new album, 4 had already been played live on their previous tour - the only two "new" ones were "Beneath, Between & Behind" and "By-Tor & The Snow Dog".

You can really hear the boys getting tighter as a group, Neil's solo gets a little longer, and the new tunes really show the strength and power that this trio truly exemplifies. As with the shows from the first tour, there is still a certain raw loudness to the band's set, before things got REALLY polished and detailed, you can hear them really letting it rip.

As for the recording itself, it's not as clear as the first tour's ABC shows, as it only ranks an average 8.5/10.0 rating on the DRE, mostly because it's a bit static-y and not as clear, but all the songs are there. It's sort of like listening to it on an old old radio, and that's pretty much true since it was recorded for a radio broadcast. It's not as great as the shows from the first tour but because it's one of the few shows from their second tour, it's easily the best choice.

The end of "Best I Can" features a short segue into the next song as Alex sustains a feedback note into it. In that next song "What You're Doing", about a minute in, there's a bit of a train-wreck on Geddy's part after his vocal section is done.

"Working Man" is quite a bit longer than usual here as Alex and Geddy go through some jammy riffs and interesting improvisations, though the more knowledgeable may be able to recognize whether or not Alex's riffs are lifted from something else. Neil's solo following "Working Man" features most of the same bits from his first solo, but introduces a few bits that would later find themselves in "Didacts & Narpets" on their next album.

The Toronto date is the only one to showcase the band's first "epic", but unfortunately, the sound quality is around 6/10, but as a document to their performance of it on it's first tour out, it's worth having, which is why I added it to the middle of the Cleveland show, oddly enough, between "Fly By Night" and "Working Man", the spot it took in the Toronto show (really fitting and coincidental, but great for me!).

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:18:25 PM by The Letter M »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2013, 10:06:23 AM »
Very nice write up, but I may suggest adding a link!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2013, 10:07:26 AM »
Very nice write up, but I may suggest adding a link!

Oh right! Your link? :tup

-Marc.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2013, 10:50:15 AM »
so Nick = Nickeh

were you active on the Rush DC++ hub several years ago? (to be honest I don't even know if it's still around/active)  I used to spend a lot of time there.  I remember at every opportunity, the folks would add "eh" to anything they could.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2013, 12:02:37 PM »
I'll be following the thread, there is some awesome stuff going on.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2013, 12:14:04 PM »
so Nick = Nickeh

were you active on the Rush DC++ hub several years ago? (to be honest I don't even know if it's still around/active)  I used to spend a lot of time there.  I remember at every opportunity, the folks would add "eh" to anything they could.

Yeah, that's how I actually got my nickname amongst bootleg collectors.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 12:38:59 PM »
Ok, cool.  I seem to remember your Nickeh alias.  I'm sure we've chatted about Rush or other stuff several years back.
Winger would be better!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2013, 12:41:10 PM »
I'll be following the thread, there is some awesome stuff going on.

Definitely! The first three tours are a bit slow in terms of excitement and information, but the first tour offers GREAT bootlegs with GREAT sound. As a heads up, I'll be using the official release of All The World's A Stage to represent the 2112 Tour, since it pretty much covers all of the songs on that tour (with the exception of "Best I Can" which was an encore at one other known headlining show).

-Marc.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2013, 12:43:32 PM »
Cool. I finally found a solid converter to bypass the SHNs, so I'll be able to take advantage of Nick's links now. Bummed that it won't have Snow Dog though.  :(
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2013, 12:48:06 PM »
Edited in the link for ya M, you can post em up with the updates, don't have to wait for me. :)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2013, 12:51:07 PM »
Edited in the link for ya M, you can post em up with the updates, don't have to wait for me. :)

But... I already had the link in the bottom of my post...  :|

-Marc.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2013, 12:58:15 PM »
Wow, completely missed that. Was it in there when you first posted? My bad either way!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2013, 01:04:43 PM »
Wow, completely missed that. Was it in there when you first posted? My bad either way!

I edited it in after you reminded me about it 3 hours ago lol

-Marc.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2013, 01:09:04 PM »
We have assumed control . . . We have assumed control . . . We have assumed control
Winger would be better!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2013, 01:32:13 PM »

I edited it in after you reminded me about it 3 hours ago lol

-Marc.

Heh, you ended your reply post with a question and it threw me because I wasn't sure what you were questioning, and I guess I didn't look back through your original post then.

At least I'm not *completely* losing it.

Carry on. :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2013, 01:47:30 PM »
At least I'm not *completely* losing it

nugget!!
Winger would be better!

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2013, 02:36:34 PM »
Okay, so how do I convert .shn files?
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2013, 02:55:21 PM »
Okay, so how do I convert .shn files?

https://etree.org/mkw.html

but I'm sure there are many, many others.
Winger would be better!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2013, 03:03:36 PM »
Trader's Little Helper is the best tool for going between FLAC, SHN, WAV, and other formats commonly seen in bootlegs.

https://tlh.easytree.org/

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2013, 03:08:58 PM »
You know, as a Rush nut this is the only tour up to RTB that I don't own.  If I have some time I will listen to it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2013, 08:11:10 PM »
Decent tour. Bad Boys in Cleveland is a nice bootleg, although I am missing By-Tor & the Snow Dog. Any idea on where I could find it? It's a shame there were only 2 recordings from this tour. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2013, 08:35:25 PM »
Decent tour. Bad Boys in Cleveland is a nice bootleg, although I am missing By-Tor & the Snow Dog. Any idea on where I could find it? It's a shame there were only 2 recordings from this tour.

I'll upload a 'single edit' version of this song onto my rapidshare account (is this allowable here?) and post the link here once it's loaded.

-Marc
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:38:13 AM by The Letter M »

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2013, 10:51:59 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm really not too into bootlegging yet, but I've really enjoyed the one I just got (the 1974 one).

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2013, 11:20:14 PM »
It says download permission denied by uploader.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2013, 09:38:47 AM »
It says download permission denied by uploader.

Hmm I'm not sure how to fix that, so I'll try to find another way to get it out to you guys!

-Marc.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2013, 10:23:35 AM »
Hmmm, never had anyone have that issue before and I'm accessing it just fine now... I'd suggest maybe trying a different browser if you have one available.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2013, 10:38:48 AM »
Here's another link to the song - https://dfiles.eu/files/mk0c80ilu

Let me know if that doesn't work!

-Marc.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »
Got it, thanks!  :tup

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2013, 07:02:48 PM »
It's a shame there were only 2 recordings from this tour.

Maybe part of the reason we all feel that way was because of the embarassment of riches we have from the first tour.

To get Neil's first gig with the band (as bad as the recording is) is almost like hitting the lottery and then to get several radio broadcasts from major cities in the shape they are in. And then you have the half-dozen or so other ones...

Very strange that it worked out that way but the next four tours aren't as plentiful.

Oh...may as well mention there are only two videos (Anthem and Fly By Night)  filmed on a day off at an Atlanta church which (again) have surfaced on DVD bonus footage. (Or maybe one has and the other is still out there)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2013, 10:18:51 PM »
Oh...may as well mention there are only two videos (Anthem and Fly By Night)  filmed on a day off at an Atlanta church which (again) have surfaced on DVD bonus footage. (Or maybe one has and the other is still out there)

Good point! I was watching the "Fly By Night" video the other week and noticed Neil's set up had gained more toms, but still no concert toms (which would join his kit during COS). Interesting to note, though, that Neil has THREE floor toms to his right, a set-up that he only had then, as far as I know.

-Marc.