Author Topic: Rush Live Tourography - The Permanent Waves Tour (REVISITED - World Tour 1980)  (Read 73338 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rush Live - The Clockwork Angels Tour
« Reply #280 on: July 12, 2014, 10:08:00 AM »

My only complaint was hearing Far Cry.  I'm tired of that song.

Amen to that!  Then again, I've never thought Far Cry was that great, so ending a set with it two tours in a row was not something I was overly excited about.  Regardless, this was a helluva tour, and the set list was totally bad ass.  I loved seeing all of those Power Windows songs come back.  The one drawback to their rotations was swapping Manhattan Project, a song that hadn't been played since the 80s, with Dreamline, a song that has been played to death over the last two decades of tours.  Because it didn't get played at the show here in St. Louis, I still have never seen that song played live, although we did get The Pass over Bravado and Middletown Dreams over The Body Electric, so I couldn't complain about batting .667 on those rotations.  :biggrin:  Still, it would have made more sense to swap Dreamline with Red Sector A, which also gets played a ton, and then played Manhattan Project at every show.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #281 on: July 12, 2014, 10:20:22 AM »
I was lucky enough to see both sets on this tour.

As well as seeing them played in the 80's. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #282 on: July 12, 2014, 10:26:32 AM »
 >:( :censored

This is what I am feeling right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTeUDpduVoU

:P ;)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: July 12, 2014, 10:40:02 AM »
 :lol

Great tune!

Well I'm off to see a Buddy Holley Musical with my bro and dad! 

Rush is my Favorite band of all time and his is Buddy Holley!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #284 on: July 13, 2014, 10:28:32 PM »
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/2013/1st-mariner-arena-baltimore-md-73d87e9d.html

This was the show I got. I'm happy I got "Manhattan Project" with the string ensemble, but I kind of wished I had gotten "Middletown Dreams" instead of "The Body Electric", but both are good. "Seven Cities Of Gold" was great, too, as was "Bravado" with its extended outro.

I mean, who'd have thought that, past 1994, we'd get a set with 2 songs from Signals, 2 songs from GUP, 4 songs from POW, and 2 songs from RTB all in one night (neither of which were the title track, thank goodness)?! Add to that, one extra from POW and RTB on alternate nights, it's easy to see that they were really loving their Signals-RTB material. I hope we see another healthy rotation of those albums in the next tour, maybe with some more Presto and Counterparts? I wouldn't mind seeing "Lock And Key", "Afterimage", "Kid Gloves" "Chain Lightning", "Scars", "Double Agent", "Coldfire", or "Nobody's Hero" played.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #285 on: July 13, 2014, 10:31:13 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if the next tour sees them focus heavily on the albums from the 80s and 90s that didn't get any love the last tour.  Granted, if it's an anniversary tour per se, they won't get too heavy on the obscure stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them finally give Test for Echo some love, as well as maybe pull out something that hasn't been played in a while from Hold Your Fire and/or Counterparts.  Prime Move was a one tour-and-done song, but it's great on A Show of Hands, and I don't see that being a song Geddy would have a tough time singing.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #286 on: July 13, 2014, 11:15:59 PM »
I'd be a happy camper if they resurrected Prime Mover on the next tour even if they go ahead with an A/B setlist like the last tour. Including lesser played tracks from HYF through TFE in the setlist would be a nice treat. I thought Grand Designs was a song that Geddy pulled off reasonably well without giving himself a tough time. The performance of Middletown Dreams on CA Tour pushed his vocals a bit compared to the rest of the Signals through HYF songs IMO (but compared to a song like Freewill, it's not as straining), but I'm glad they kept it in rotation for the entire tour.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: July 14, 2014, 06:36:23 AM »
I'm begging for the Double neck and hearing Vapor Trail.  I must here that.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #288 on: July 29, 2014, 06:59:23 PM »
Don't get the hate for Far Cry live (I love it) but then I could probably live without hearing Limelight ever again.

I've probably said more than enough about the 2012-2013 tour over the years, but I'll just leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nv5jorstUU

I tended to favor set A, but I did catch a B also and I'm glad that was included on the CD/DVD.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #289 on: July 30, 2014, 04:40:01 AM »
I saw them last year in Berlin on this tour. It was the best concert I've ever seen, and I don't think anything will surpass it. Ever.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #290 on: July 30, 2014, 12:35:08 PM »
Don't get the hate for Far Cry live 

I don't hate it; I like it, but I just don't feel it has been deserving of the plush spots it has gotten in the set list on the last two tours.  The last song of the second set at a Rush concert should be a time-tested classic.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #291 on: July 30, 2014, 01:01:30 PM »
Congrats to Rush on their 40 years of making music today. Clockwork Angels is an awesome album and amazing they can still write great stuff like this 40 years later.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #292 on: August 01, 2014, 09:02:35 PM »
Don't get the hate for Far Cry live 

I don't hate it; I like it, but I just don't feel it has been deserving of the plush spots it has gotten in the set list on the last two tours.  The last song of the second set at a Rush concert should be a time-tested classic.

I really like the song (and the rest of the album obviously.)

I feel it's very deserving (which doesn't really matter) although they thought it was deserving enough to put it there.  Far Cry was three in 2010 five years old by 2012.

By way of comparison, when the Grand Finale of 2112 was played in 1981; it was five years old and Tom Sawyer was three in 1984.

I think it's every bit the classic those other two songs were at those points in time.

I realize that far more often than not Tom Sawyer is a fixture as either the first or last song in the main set since 1980 (when it was first played) so you could say Tom Sawyer is a song that doesn't move around in the set much, but it's really the only one.

But again, your mileage may vary.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #293 on: August 01, 2014, 09:50:12 PM »
I really liked that intro of Far Cry with the background video, the one with the docks and the baby stroller and it's raining, that they used during the Snakes and Arrows tour.  I think from, what I've heard on the DVD, that bass was so much meaner and fatter, in the intro, than the version of the two tours following that.

Offline The Letter M

Re: Rush Live - R41 Tour? And The Future Of Live Rush!
« Reply #294 on: August 02, 2014, 08:23:54 PM »
Rush have since gone on hiatus since their epic Clockwork Angels tour, and what a well-deserved rest it is for them. Fans and critics alike have wondered if they'd celebrate their 40th Anniversary and the band was very vocal about NOT doing the expected thing, which is very Rush-like of them. They live their own lives and do their own thing, which IS expected. Geddy (or Alex, I can't recall) even said something along the lines of "Why a 40th Anniversary? Why not a 41st Anniversary tour?", and all I could do was laugh. I could totally see them doing that, and calling it that as well.

I don't expect them to tour this year, and to be honest, I really hope they start to get the itch to write/record this year/next year, and release a new album in 2015 or 2016, then go on another tour.

As for the tour itself, Alex has gone on the record (again) about how he'd like to play deep cuts and bring out rarely played songs, and of course, one that fans constantly bring up (now that "The Camera Eye" has finally been resurrected) is "Jacob's Ladder", and I do not blame them. They even brought out "Entre Nous" a few tours back, so why not "Jacob's Ladder"?! Or even "Different Strings", which, like "Entre Nous" up to it's performance, has not been played live.

Even then, there's tons of tracks from the 80's and 90's that have never been played live, so I would LOVE to see them bring them out (like "Available Light" or anything from Presto, really, an album whose tracks definitely improve with live performance).

How much longer will they tour, though?! At the rate they've been going, I can see them doing two or even three more tours before hanging it up. They've got some energy left in them, and even if they don't record any more albums, they could still tour and make bank on it, both on the tour itself and on inevitable live releases. Rush have proven themselves to be force in touring rock shows, and they show no signs of stopping quite soon.

Thanks again to everyone that has participated in my off-and-on thread, and feel free to continue this discussion on live Rush, from any tour and era, any song or performance! Share videos or experiences, anything you want! Let's keep this resource alive!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #295 on: August 02, 2014, 10:31:54 PM »
I personally predict three more tours.    An upcoming "R41" tour in 2015, another break, going into the studio, then an album in 2016/2017 (which would be the completion of a 5th "Sector" of albums), an album tour, a break, and then a giant, final, farewell, "retirement tour".... 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #296 on: August 02, 2014, 11:46:03 PM »
I can only try to imagine what kind of greatness their final (21st perhaps) album might contain. They've set the bar so high with Clockwork Angels, surely they will attempt to make it the greatest album they've ever done. Another concept album? Perhaps a 4th, final 20-minute epic? One can only speculate, but I'm going to bet it will be better than Clockwork Angels, simply because it might be their last album.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #297 on: August 03, 2014, 08:30:08 AM »
Every tour, I keep thinking, "This will probably be their last tour," and then they go and tour again. :lol :lol

Realistically, 2-3 more tours is probably a safe bet, although how well Geddy's voice still holds up is a big part of it.  He's really struggled at times over the last few tours, and at 61 now, it's not gonna get any better.  Maybe they'll bust down to only two shows a week to save it.  :lol :lol

Regardless, anything we still get out of them at this point is gravy.  And while the selfish part of me always wants more Rush, the pragmatic part of me wants Clockwork Angels to be their swan song, as I can't see them topping or even equalling that with the next one.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #298 on: August 03, 2014, 09:57:17 AM »
Everyone always talks about Geddy, but at the same time, at his age, you gotta think the chances of something happening to Neil that would keep him from playing drums is constantly increasing. It's not like he's playing anything easy, and with the drums if something where to happen to pretty much any part of his body that's it. Carl Palmer has had his obstacles, as has Phil Collins, and I just hope that Neil doesn't run into any issues.

At this point I don't know how many tours they have left, I'm just glad that they've indicated they intend to tour again. I look forward to that, I'll see 3 or 4 shows and hope they're not the last. During a tour I see a show, look forward to the next... repeat... and then when that last one comes around it's really tough not knowing if it'll be the last. On multiple tours I've contemplated near the end of the tour flying out to the final show.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #299 on: August 03, 2014, 11:32:12 AM »
Yeah, the last few tours, every show I've gone to, I went in thinking it could be the last time I ever see them. 

I remember Geddy on one of the tours (it might have been on the VT tour, on the Rio documentary) where he talked about a problem he had with his hand near the end of a tour.  Given their ages, and how crazy some of the stuff is that they play, it really is amazing that none of their bodies have broken down yet to where they cant play up to their standards.  I know they all keep active, but Father Time is still undefeated.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #300 on: August 04, 2014, 07:27:55 AM »
I think my biggest fear is something bad happens to Neil on his bike.  I don't remember the details but I do remember reading something on Neil's site years ago where he said he came very close to biting it while he was on those back roads. 

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #301 on: August 06, 2014, 05:49:16 PM »
Big news coming from the band soon. I can't and won't talk about it right now.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #302 on: August 06, 2014, 06:08:36 PM »

Thanks King! Had some disturbing news today so I'm not able to get anything up today; but I will for sure tomorrow.

:huh: Don't know if these two quotes are about the same thing.  :|
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #303 on: August 06, 2014, 08:28:44 PM »
The one time they don't come to albq and they play that awesome set.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #304 on: August 07, 2014, 12:07:50 AM »
:caffeine: (assuming it's positive news like a tour announcement)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:14:15 AM by ? »

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #305 on: August 07, 2014, 08:49:07 AM »

But you just did, see?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #306 on: August 07, 2014, 08:50:32 AM »

Like we all don't know that Geddy is finally relinquishing lead vocal duties to Alex.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #307 on: August 08, 2014, 03:20:48 PM »

Worst kept secret ever! 

(Please talk about "it" when you can.)

KevShmev:

Yeah, the last few tours, every show I've gone to, I went in thinking it could be the last time I ever see them.

Been thinking that way ever since the Test For Echo Tour. I really thought they were done then going out with the first  "Evening With" show and playing Natural Science.

I was so convinced I paid a scalper $500 for two 5th row seats at Jones Beach near the end of the last leg of that tour  (Sadly...it almost was the last tour.) Of course, now $500 is regular price for two seats!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #308 on: October 20, 2014, 01:23:09 PM »

I am guessing that this "big news" was the announcement of the R40 box set? I'm still super excited for it, especially the whole show with Rutsey on drums and never-before-seen/heard Rush songs.

-Marc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #309 on: October 20, 2014, 02:56:13 PM »
What else is in the Box Set?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #311 on: October 20, 2014, 03:22:24 PM »
There's a few goodies to be sure, but why repackage their most recent DVDs?  I'd take a late 70's full show, or the Moving Pictures full show.  This looks like a typical soakage of their fans.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #312 on: October 24, 2014, 02:16:23 PM »

I am guessing that this "big news" was the announcement of the R40 box set? I'm still super excited for it, especially the whole show with Rutsey on drums and never-before-seen/heard Rush songs.

-Marc.

I'm still thinking it's the tour announcement (likely around mid- to late-November.)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #313 on: October 24, 2014, 04:06:27 PM »

-Marc.

I'm still thinking it's the tour announcement (likely around mid- to late-November.)

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/rush-tour-2015/

As if on cue, you were right. They're planning a SPRING TOUR next year, for who knows how long.

Wow. I'm not sure if I can save up for this but we'll see...

-Marc.

Offline Anguyen92

Re: Rush Live - R40/R41 Tour Starting In SPRING 2015!!!
« Reply #314 on: October 24, 2014, 04:22:46 PM »
How much do you suppose nosebleed seats are for them in an area like LA, because, well, I want to go.