Author Topic: Rush Live Tourography - The Permanent Waves Tour (REVISITED - World Tour 1980)  (Read 73336 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rush Live - The Hold Your Fire Tour
« Reply #175 on: August 07, 2013, 11:26:11 PM »
A Show of Hands remains in many ways my favorite Rush live video ever, largely for nostalgic reasons, but I still hate how they messed with the sound when they transferred it over from VHS to DVD.  The DVD simply doesn't sound as good as the VHS did, mostly because some of Alex's guitar parts were lowered in the mix and/or drowned in distortion that they added.  I suspect Alex did that because, looking back, he hated his wiry sound of that era, but messing with it at all was still a huge mistake. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #176 on: August 08, 2013, 03:40:20 PM »
I've never seen that surface.  I remember reading an interview somewhere where Geddy said that they were not actually recording anything on Alex's mic which is why it didn't appear on the video.  So they made a joke out of it with the warning message.  Apparently he wasn't ranting but "singing" the keyboard part there.  It would be funny to hear.

It may have been a one-off or something for the Euroleg.

I don't recall him doing that for the two shows I saw in person and the dozen or so other shows I've heard/seen.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #177 on: August 08, 2013, 03:49:27 PM »
A Show of Hands remains in many ways my favorite Rush live video ever, largely for nostalgic reasons, but I still hate how they messed with the sound when they transferred it over from VHS to DVD.  The DVD simply doesn't sound as good as the VHS did, mostly because some of Alex's guitar parts were lowered in the mix and/or drowned in distortion that they added.  I suspect Alex did that because, looking back, he hated his wiry sound of that era, but messing with it at all was still a huge mistake.

They screwed up on all three transfers for various reasons in my opinion....even the Grace Under Pressure Tour which happens to be my fave of those three.

Bothers me to the point where I as often as not go with the straight transfer versions.

Peoria 1988 is a pretty good show...as is the 12/9/87 Nassau Coliseum show.

Videos for the tour are usually dark and drab and the fashion of the period didn't help much to distinguish the guys from fading into the background.

I'd have to believe that there are you tube videos from these shows up somewhere although the video explosion doesn't really happen until about 1991.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2013, 12:37:53 AM »
I've never seen that surface.  I remember reading an interview somewhere where Geddy said that they were not actually recording anything on Alex's mic which is why it didn't appear on the video.  So they made a joke out of it with the warning message.  Apparently he wasn't ranting but "singing" the keyboard part there.  It would be funny to hear.

I don't recall him doing that for the two shows I saw in person and the dozen or so other shows I've heard/seen.

I've always wondered if Alex looked back at this and used it as an inspiration to start his "Lerxst Rants" during "La Villa Strangiato" on the VT and R30 tours?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #179 on: August 15, 2013, 11:57:55 PM »

I've always wondered if Alex looked back at this and used it as an inspiration to start his "Lerxst Rants" during "La Villa Strangiato" on the VT and R30 tours?

-Marc.

I hope when we get to that tour....that maybe...possibly...someone has assembled a compilation of ALL of them.   It would make a nice bonus disc.  ;D
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2013, 05:19:24 AM »

-Marc.

I hope when we get to that tour....that maybe...possibly...someone has assembled a compilation of ALL of them.   It would make a nice bonus disc.  ;D

Wait...you don't have the Lerxst Rants bootleg?!

https://www.digitalrushexperience.com/database/alphalist.php#L

Look at "Lerxst In Strangiato", there are 5 volumes of it!!! :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2013, 02:07:30 PM »

-Marc.

I suppose it's possible.

The "ranting" history (at least on a regular basis ) goes back to the Counterparts Tour during Closer To The Heart.

Oh...I may have forgotten to add this link for Fly By Night. Definately museum quality stuff here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVH6axLHoHQ.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #182 on: January 16, 2014, 08:29:27 PM »
Five month bump.....

The Atlantic Years......

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #183 on: January 16, 2014, 10:13:38 PM »
Five month bump.....

The Atlantic Years......

Ahhh yes, I've been thinking about this thread lately, and I think, since at least YOU are interested, I will start it back up sometime this weekend. I'll have to dig out my Presto show and give it a spin. I have since deleted my 20-some tour shows from my iPod, but they're on my 1.5TB portable harddrive, so it won't be too hard to dig out at least the Presto-onward tours to listen to before I do some write-ups.

As a topic of discussion before I get to the Presto Tour write-up, what are some of the Presto songs that they haven't played live yet that deserve to be played? My top choices are "Chain Lightning" and "Available Light", especially the latter. Presto has some GREAT material, but the thin production kind of marred that. Unfortunately, very few songs from this album were played lvie again after this tour, and since then, only one new song has been played live, being the title track.

-Marc.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #184 on: January 16, 2014, 11:09:20 PM »
Great thread here.  It's pretty great to see the timeline and the setlists that they were playing all the way from the start up to Hold Your Fire and continuing on.  Consider me a follower of this thread.  Keep up with the good stuff in the thread.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:15:24 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #185 on: January 18, 2014, 02:55:00 PM »
Presto is my least favorite Rush tour of all -time, but I'll get to that when the time comes.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2014, 02:58:05 PM »
I'm very interested to see this continued!  :tup

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2014, 03:18:28 PM »

Yeah I hated his sound of that era, but I guess it fitted in with their sound.
But he can only blame himself for playing all those single coil Strat type guitars, that have that wiry thin sound.
He went from playing Gibson's with that big fat tone, to the flimsy sound of a Strat, the PRS and now thankfully Gibson's again.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2014, 03:32:12 PM »
Love those 2 pick Mr. M!!  I think Red Tide would sound great live.  Saw them twice on the Presto tour.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

Re: Rush Live - The Presto Tour
« Reply #189 on: January 21, 2014, 11:54:30 PM »
The Presto Tour began and ended less than five months after it started, going from February 15th, 1990 to June 29th, 1990. Supporting bands this go around included the return of Chalk Circle, joined by Voivod and Mr. Big. Regarding the shortness of the tour, Geddy had this to say:

"The Presto tour was a short one, intentionally, because we weren't so sure about touring anymore. And things worked out so well, we actually finished the tour and everyone was still smiling." - Geddy Lee, "Rockline", May 15, 1992

The Power Windows website adds the following about the setlist:

This is the last tour to include "In The Mood". This is one of only two tours in which "Limelight" was not included in the set, either full time or as an alternate/replacement (the other being the Grace Under Pressure tour). In addition, the first third of this tour are the only tourdates which did not include "The Spirit Of Radio" in the setlist since its inception. This is the first tour to include The Surfari's "Wipe Out" during the encore; it would also be included during the first leg of the Test For Echo tour.

Setlist changes during this tour: "Superconductor" originally followed "Show Don't Tell" and "The Big Money" began the encore. Five days into the tour, "Superconductor" was moved up in front of "Show Don't Tell". One-third into the tour (beginning 4/2), "The Spirit of Radio" replaced "The Big Money".

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Shared from Nick from this tour is quite possibly the most well-known soundboard from the whole tour, a show from Hartford, CT. It is a near-complete show from the tour, marred only by the missing intro and a bit of the beginning of "Force Ten".
Presto Tour - "The Hartford '90" Hartford, CT on 5/8/90
www.nickeh.com/botm/rush1990-05-8.rar

Below is my compilation of a show for this tour, although because a near-complete soundboard already existed for the Presto Tour, the only things I had to fix were the intro/beginning of Force Ten, which I filled in with a bit from a show a week earlier, an audience recording that is pretty good.

Rush - Presto Tour - 120:28
(Live In Hartford, CT on 5/8/90)
(THe Hartford '90 - SBD)

Disc 1 - 60:59
 1. Force Ten*           5:04
 2. Freewill            4:02
 3. Distant Early Warning      4:23
 4. Time Stand Still         6:18
 5. Subdivisions         5:34
 6. Marathon            6:43
 7. Red Barchetta         6:57
 8. Superconductor         5:16
 9. Show Don't Tell         6:43
10. The Pass            5:03
11. Closer To The Heart      4:56

Disc 2 - 59:29
 1. Manhattan Project         5:10
 2. Xanadu            6:51
 3. YYZ            3:18
 4. The Rhythm Method        5:11
 5. Scars            4:44
 6. War Paint            5:53
 7. Mission            5:40
 8. Tom Sawyer         6:35
 9. The Spirit Of Radio      4:55
10. 2112: Overture         3:22
11. La Villa Strangiato      4:51
12. In The Mood/Wipeout       3:00

*Force Ten intro filled in from:
(Target Mass Appeal PE - AUD)
(Atlanta, GA on 5/1/1990)

Missing:
The Big Money - original encore opener
Replaced by The Spirit Of Radio on 4/2/90

I haven't gotten around to listening to this show lately as I had hoped, but I do remember it. It's a good set list, and there are a few carry-overs from the HYF tour, such as ending the show with "Tom Sawyer", and including "2112 Overture", "La Villa Strangiato" and "In The Mood" in the encore. Of interest to me is the beginning of the second disc, which runs as a near 25-minute medley of music. The ending of "Manhattan Project" goes nearly seamlessly into "Xanadu", which sees it's return to the show since the New World Tour. Then, as done before, "YYZ" goes into Neil's solo, the end of which sets up his electronic-drum intro for "Scars". A great set of songs, and a highlight of the whole show.

As for new songs, the band played only 5 new songs from their new album, and did so in 2 chunks rather than spreading them out over the course of the show, and in fact, they spend 7 songs playing older songs before playing anything new. Then of course, they open with "Superconductor", a song that polarizes many fans, but then they play two of the best songs on the album. Later on, they play the aforementioned "Scars", which sounds great live and I wish they would've brought it back for later tours. "War Paint" is a nice addition as well, but ends the new songs for the tour. They then spend the rest of the show with oldies.

It's a fairly balanced set list, with the return of "Xanadu", the amount of 70's Rush material goes up a bit. They play 7 songs from their synth-era/Sector 3 albums (8 if you count 'The Big Money" from earlier in the tour), 5 from PEW/MOV, and 5 from their 70's material. It's pretty balanced, and probably their most balanced set in years/tours. It's a shame this tour was so short compared to others, but I am glad they enjoyed it enough to realize they couldn't stop touring!

-Marc.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #190 on: January 22, 2014, 01:41:36 AM »
I adore this tour.   It was my second ever Rush show...and it is such an "overlooked" tour.   A few songs from Presto that have been ignored ever since are represented here.

Superconductor, War Paint and Scars leap immediately to mind.   Never got the hate for Superconductor.   One of Alex's coolest riffs, and it was such a refreshing "rocker" after 4 albums of "THE WALL OF SYNTHS"!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #191 on: January 22, 2014, 06:36:08 AM »
I adore this tour.   It was my second ever Rush show...and it is such an "overlooked" tour.   A few songs from Presto that have been ignored ever since are represented here.

Superconductor, War Paint and Scars leap immediately to mind.   Never got the hate for Superconductor.   One of Alex's coolest riffs, and it was such a refreshing "rocker" after 4 albums of "THE WALL OF SYNTHS"!!!

Me either.  Very accessible and fun tune.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #192 on: January 22, 2014, 07:12:49 AM »
Two words:

GIANT BUNNIES!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #193 on: January 22, 2014, 04:54:04 PM »

Well, I mean, the band enjoyed it enough to bring it back on the RTB tour, albeit in one of the weirdest spots in the history of Rush tours - in a medley following "Xanadu", the spot where "YYZ" came in on the previous tour and where "Hemispheres: I. Prelude" would sit in the next tour.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #194 on: January 23, 2014, 12:40:58 PM »
Superconductor isn't that good, but it's still far better than the debacle that is War Paint.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2014, 04:07:49 PM »
Superconductor isn't that good, but it's still far better than the debacle that is War Paint.
Or The Pass.

But yes, War Paint definitely does suck.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #196 on: January 23, 2014, 04:25:19 PM »
The Pass is amazing  :huh:

Anagram is my favorite song off of Presto though so I don't know.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline jammindude

« Reply #197 on: January 23, 2014, 06:54:20 PM »
Anagram is lyrically interesting...but just a so-so song.    Can't believe the hate for War Paint.    Easily in my top 5 for that album....maybe top 3.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #198 on: January 23, 2014, 11:58:32 PM »
Reading about the tour makes me want to go ahead and listen to Presto.  Uhhhhhh, I'm not a huge fan of it.  I mean I love The Pass and the title track, but I think having those songs being played in their DVDs during the 2000s helped a lot.  This album just has a very very weirdish sound to me where I can understand some of the fans' gripe about it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #199 on: January 30, 2014, 07:31:14 PM »

The Presto Tour began and ended less than five months after it started, going from February 15th, 1990 to June 29th, 1990. Supporting bands this go around included the return of Chalk Circle, joined by Voivod and Mr. Big. Regarding the shortness of the tour, Geddy had this to say:

"The Presto tour was a short one, intentionally, because we weren't so sure about touring anymore. And things worked out so well, we actually finished the tour and everyone was still smiling." - Geddy Lee, "Rockline", May 15, 1992

This is the last tour to include "In The Mood". This is one of only two tours in which "Limelight" was not included in the set, either full time or as an alternate/replacement (the other being the Grace Under Pressure tour). In addition, the first third of this tour are the only tourdates which did not include "The Spirit Of Radio" in the setlist since its inception. This is the first tour to include The Surfari's "Wipe Out" during the encore; it would also be included during the first leg of the Test For Echo tour.

Setlist changes during this tour: "Superconductor" originally followed "Show Don't Tell" and "The Big Money" began the encore. Five days into the tour, "Superconductor" was moved up in front of "Show Don't Tell". One-third into the tour (beginning 4/2), "The Spirit of Radio" replaced "The Big Money".

Shared from Nick from this tour is quite possibly the most well-known soundboard from the whole tour, a show from Hartford, CT. It is a near-complete show from the tour, marred only by the missing intro and a bit of the beginning of "Force Ten".
Presto Tour - "The Hartford '90" Hartford, CT on 5/8/90
www.nickeh.com/botm/rush1990-05-8.rar

Below is my compilation of a show for this tour, although because a near-complete soundboard already existed for the Presto Tour, the only things I had to fix were the intro/beginning of Force Ten, which I filled in with a bit from a show a week earlier, an audience recording that is pretty good.

Rush - Presto Tour - 120:28
(Live In Hartford, CT on 5/8/90)
(THe Hartford '90 - SBD)

Disc 1 - 60:59
 1. Force Ten*           5:04
 2. Freewill            4:02
 3. Distant Early Warning      4:23
 4. Time Stand Still         6:18
 5. Subdivisions         5:34
 6. Marathon            6:43
 7. Red Barchetta         6:57
 8. Superconductor         5:16
 9. Show Don't Tell         6:43
10. The Pass            5:03
11. Closer To The Heart      4:56

Disc 2 - 59:29
 1. Manhattan Project         5:10
 2. Xanadu            6:51
 3. YYZ            3:18
 4. The Rhythm Method        5:11
 5. Scars            4:44
 6. War Paint            5:53
 7. Mission            5:40
 8. Tom Sawyer         6:35
 9. The Spirit Of Radio      4:55
10. 2112: Overture         3:22
11. La Villa Strangiato      4:51
12. In The Mood/Wipeout       3:00

*Force Ten intro filled in from:
(Target Mass Appeal PE - AUD)
(Atlanta, GA on 5/1/1990)

Missing:
The Big Money - original encore opener
Replaced by The Spirit Of Radio on 4/2/90

I haven't gotten around to listening to this show lately as I had hoped, but I do remember it. It's a good set list, and there are a few carry-overs from the HYF tour, such as ending the show with "Tom Sawyer", and including "2112 Overture", "La Villa Strangiato" and "In The Mood" in the encore. Of interest to me is the beginning of the second disc, which runs as a near 25-minute medley of music. The ending of "Manhattan Project" goes nearly seamlessly into "Xanadu", which sees it's return to the show since the New World Tour. Then, as done before, "YYZ" goes into Neil's solo, the end of which sets up his electronic-drum intro for "Scars". A great set of songs, and a highlight of the whole show.

As for new songs, the band played only 5 new songs from their new album, and did so in 2 chunks rather than spreading them out over the course of the show, and in fact, they spend 7 songs playing older songs before playing anything new. Then of course, they open with "Superconductor", a song that polarizes many fans, but then they play two of the best songs on the album. Later on, they play the aforementioned "Scars", which sounds great live and I wish they would've brought it back for later tours. "War Paint" is a nice addition as well, but ends the new songs for the tour. They then spend the rest of the show with oldies.

It's a fairly balanced set list, with the return of "Xanadu", the amount of 70's Rush material goes up a bit. They play 7 songs from their synth-era/Sector 3 albums (8 if you count 'The Big Money" from earlier in the tour), 5 from PEW/MOV, and 5 from their 70's material. It's pretty balanced, and probably their most balanced set in years/tours. It's a shame this tour was so short compared to others, but I am glad they enjoyed it enough to realize they couldn't stop touring!

I always thought Warpaint was pretty amazing myself.

Here's your bunny fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6kRzxgzwDc

I'm sure the whole show must be out there somewhere.  I really need to transfer my video to DVD.

Okay......This has always been my least favorite Rush tour for a bunch or reasons. (Although I love the album, the band has never seemed too fond of it)

It's funny. Even though they say they were close to calling it a day after the last tour at the end of their association with Mercury/Polygram, they seemed (at least to me to be going through the motions on this tour more often than not based on what I've seen and heard (in person and on CD/video)  Neil just looked old, slow and mechanical to me.
They've been on record as saying this was a tour that rekindled the band, but I was never able to grasp that for some reason.

"Before Presto, we were pretty exhausted. We were kind of burned out from touring. We took a good break and got back into that record with lots of enthusiasm. and the tour that followed was probably one of the best ones we've ever done, it was well opaced and we went to  really good parts of America. Not ALL of the good parts mind you, just SOME of the good parts!"  --Alex (Much Music)

First of all, the set is a pretty safe one. Ninety percent of it shows up on (pick your favorite Mercury/Polygram compliation album.)

Second....They've always been about the new stuff yet they only play five new songs from the album (and one of them isn't Presto?) and bury them in the set.  And how do you play most of Freewill, then bail before Geddy's high notes?

Third, while these shows weren't BAD it's most of the shows on the tours before and since seem to be much better.

Say what you want about the Hold Your Fire tour, but they really nailed those songs from Power Windows and Hold Your Fire. I just don't see as much enthusiasm on the Presto Tour. (And they've admitted they were burnt out on that stuff by that point.)

Least important was that I wasn't exactly endeared to their fashion sense at this point and Mr. Big did nothing for me as an opener. (Though I am a fan of Gilbert and Sheehan)

There were some pretty great shows, just not as many as we've come to expect over the years.

Here are a few of my favorites although I admit I don't listen to shows from this tour a lot. but if I want to hear Warpaint and Scars they way they were meant to be, I pretty much have no choice.

For those of you who like the quirkiness of soundchecks:

5/17/90 Toronto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmZeMLevP_Y

A few of my favorite shows...

6/17/90
Alpine Valley, East Troy Wi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktfV_qb3AfM

June 27, 1990
Mountainview, Ca

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VoFmCocTs0

I just noticed that these shows that I like are later in the tour. Maybe that means something.

Offline The Letter M

Re: Rush Live - The Roll The Bones Tour
« Reply #200 on: March 26, 2014, 04:41:10 PM »
Roll The Bones came out on September 3rd of 1991, and nearly 2 months later at the end of October, on the 25th, their tour began. They toured across North America, then through Europe, then back to North America for a second leg, ending their tour on June 28th, 1992. Supporting bands for this tour included Eric Johnson, Vinnie Moore, Primus, Mr. Big, Andy Curran, and The Tragically Hip.

"It was great being on tour with Rush. I really loved hanging with those guys and getting to know Alex Lifeson a bit. They're such pros, man. I learned a lot about touring and how to put on a show from watching them and their whole crew. They're seasoned veterans. Watching their entire operation was pretty eye-opening." - Eric Johnson, MusicRadar.com, December 16, 2010

For this tour, "Freewill" and "Xanadu" were abbreviated, both segueing into other songs midway through the song. Performed on every tour since their release, "In The Mood" and "YYZ" were not included in the setlist for the first time ever; although this is the only tour to not include "YYZ", "In The Mood" has not been performed since the Presto tour.

Setlist changes during this tour: while not present the first few dates, "Ghost Of A Chance" was added during the first month of the tour. Beginning with the European leg a short "Cygnus X-1" teaser was added to close the finale (a practice which was brought back for the Test For Echo tour). Beginning with the Denver show, with less than a month left in the tour, "Subdivisions" and "The Pass" were dropped and "The Trees" was added, and as early as two shows later "Vital Signs" and "The Analog Kid" were also added in the slots previously held by "Subdivisions" and "The Pass"; these three songs would remain in the setlist for the remainder of the tour. During this final leg's performances of "The Trees", Alex regularly played a few notes similar to the Beach Boys' "Sloop John B", a treatment that would continue during the following tour.

Shared from Nick from is a very well known Oakland show from the RTB tour. Up to that point, this bootleg is the complete show, and one of the better sounding soundboards of the tour, and possibly of all Rush ROIOs!
Roll The Bones Tour - "Mirrors" Oakland, CA on 1/30/92
www.nickeh.com/botm/rush1992-01-30.zip

Below is my compilation of a show for this tour taken mainly from the infamous soundboard show from Oakland, with 3 later-tour swap-out tracks taken from another great soundboard show from this tour of the Charlotte show. Both shows are highly recommended, but I went with the Oakland show as the base of my compilation and just threw in the other three in.

Rush - Roll The Bones Tour - 140:44
(Live In Oakland, CA on 1/30/92)
(Mirrors - SBD)

Disc 1 - 71:28
 1. Intro/Force Ten         5:54
 2. Limelight            4:27
 3. Freewill            4:05
 4. Distant Early Warning      4:33
 5. Time Stand Still         6:17
 6. Dreamline            5:10
 7. Bravado            7:00
 8. Roll The Bones         6:11
 9. Show Don't Tell         6:22
10. The Big Money       6:48
11. Ghost Of A Chance         5:35
12. Subdivisions         4:16
13. The Pass            4:51

Disc 2 - 69:16
 1. Vital Signs*       4:53
 2. The Analog Kid*       5:22
 3. The Trees*           5:12
 4. Where's My Thing?         5:16
 5. The Rhythm Method       7:30
 6. Closer To The Heart      4:48
 7. Xanadu            6:37
 8. Superconductor         5:09
 9. Tom Sawyer         5:57
10. The Spirit Of Radio       5:03
11. 2112 Overture       3:23
12. Finding My way       2:10
13. La Villa Strangiato       3:18
14. Anthem           1:46
15. Red Barchetta       1:36
16. The Spirit Of Radio (Ending) 1:15

*Bonus Tracks sourced from:
(Vital Dreams - SBD)
(Charlotte, NC on 6/14/92)

Note - Missing "Cygnus X-1" Teaser
          after the encore
          added as early as 4/29/92

This tour had a pretty expansive set list, and the encore medley is one of their most complex, including 6 (7 counting the "Cygnus X-1" teaser) different songs! From their then new album, they featured five out of ten new songs live, including the four songs released as singles, and the album's only instrumental, "Where's My Thing?", which was only featured on that tour until recently! For the tour, "Bravado" was extended with an extra instrumental jam, a practice that would continue for every other performance of the song after this tour.

"Xanadu", one of the few 70's Rush songs still in the set, segues once again into another song half-way through, but this time it goes into the head-scratching "Supderconductor". It's an odd choice to segue in to ("YYZ" being the choice last tour, and "Hemispheres Prelude" being the one next tour) and I'm sure it brought a LOT of odd looks on people's faces. I guess the band had a ton of fun playing it as it's one of three songs they kept from Presto from the last tour.

Neil's drum solo continued to grow, and even included bits from "Scars" as well as rearranging older parts. The encore expanded from the previous tour to now include snippets of "Finding My Way" and "Anthem" in lieu of "In The Mood", as well as a bit of "Red Barchetta".

This is one of my favorite tours, especially for all the songs they played on it! There's a lot of material here as well as a lot of soundboard bootlegs to choose from! It seems a lot of tapers/bootleggers did a lot of hard work this tour and now we can all enjoy their hard work!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #201 on: March 26, 2014, 11:02:54 PM »
My first Rush tour.  Looking at the set list, it's not hard to imagine ways to have improved it (the Xanadu/Superconductor segue is still the biggest WTF in Rush live history), but at the time, as someone who had literally just gotten into the band over the previous two months, the show I saw was, at the time, the greatest thing ever. :coolio

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #202 on: March 27, 2014, 02:25:29 AM »
I own an original silver pressing of the Mirrors bootleg.
I can't remember when I got it, but was a long time ago.
Are silver boots worth anything these days?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #203 on: March 27, 2014, 09:52:26 AM »
Mirrors and Vital Dreams are pretty much the best things ever!

Still, there are SOOOO many other great boots from this tour.  Run Faster, Over The Europe, Atmospheric, Big Money/Big Apple, etc
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #204 on: March 27, 2014, 04:57:48 PM »
Mirrors and Vital Dreams are pretty much the best things ever!

Still, there are SOOOO many other great boots from this tour.  Run Faster, Over The Europe, Atmospheric, Big Money/Big Apple, etc

I had no idea there were THAT many! Are those you mentioned all soundboards, or are they a mix of soundboards and audience recordings? I was just always told that Mirrors and Vital Dreams were the cream of the crop, and between both, they cover all of the songs featured on the tour.

-Marc.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #205 on: March 27, 2014, 08:59:29 PM »
no, all those are not soundboards.  Over The Europe and Atmospheric are audience, but they sound spectacular.

However, I do know of at least 5 soundboards from this tour:

Nov 7 - St Louis (Row The Boats) - criticized for sounding a bit thin and compressed
Dec 7 - New York (Big Money Meets The Big Apple) - spectacular
Jan 30 - Oakland (Mirrors)
April 17 - London (Run Faster) - originally released as Run From The Fans, however that release was a bit too slow, hence this "faster" release.  pretty sure this was a radio broadcast.  Sounds great!
June 14 - Charlotte (Vital Dreams)
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #206 on: April 01, 2014, 07:30:22 PM »
no, all those are not soundboards.  Over The Europe and Atmospheric are audience, but they sound spectacular.

However, I do know of at least 5 soundboards from this tour:

Nov 7 - St Louis (Row The Boats) - criticized for sounding a bit thin and compressed
Dec 7 - New York (Big Money Meets The Big Apple) - spectacular
Jan 30 - Oakland (Mirrors)
April 17 - London (Run Faster) - originally released as Run From The Fans, however that release was a bit too slow, hence this "faster" release.  pretty sure this was a radio broadcast.  Sounds great!
June 14 - Charlotte (Vital Dreams)

I'll do a more expansive review of this tour later (maybe sometime over the weekend) but I'm a HUGE fan of the Euro leg and the third US leg (They took a month off for Christmas) I think this is really where they start to get over their mid-life crisis.

That said, the December 7, 1991 show is pretty amazing. I often overlook that one because I enjoy the improv-tinged shows later in the show so much.

The Jan. 30 show was one of the first ones out there coming out a few months after the show (and it is a soundboard) so it's had a longer time for the legend to grow. The rumor on this one is that Les Claypool leaked it.

I think I have a video of the Nov. 7 show, but not the audio. Been I LOOOONG time since I've watched it though.

If I recall correctly, a lot of those early shows aren't that great (performance-wise.)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #207 on: April 01, 2014, 10:28:42 PM »
11-7-91 was my first Rush concert. :coolio :hat

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #208 on: May 10, 2014, 08:57:40 PM »
I've always felt that this tour...at least the second half of it was the start of an invigorating live show. Partly, if not more so, I think it had to do with Neil's involvement with the Buddy Rich Memorial concert where he was humbled by a great collection of jazz drummers and their ability to rely on  improv.

This is also the tour that fans were those "Neil has Cancer" rumors that began in the mid-'80s reasserted themselves possibly due to the fact that Neil was wearing a bandana to keep the sweat off of his face.

Strange pairings of songs included the abrupt segue into Distant Early Warning and moving into Superconductor from Xanadu.

One example of bring the humor back was Neil's air guitar windmill moment during Finding My Way in the "Big Medley" (It had been 10 years since the last encore medley.) Although this was pretty stiff some nights, it was still fun to watch as it was totally unexpected and out of character for Neil visibly goof off like that during a show.  It was the start of some great humorous things to come on subsequent tours when the band realized it was okay to just be themselves.

That should do it for the useless trivia....

For some reason I can't find those full Euro shows online, but here are a few shows at various points in the tour.

11/7/1991 (The listing says 92 but it's 91)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8SZeRmaMco

1//30/1992
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9cqIPwAjL8

Here's another fave show of mine with The Trees, The Analog Kid and Vital Signs with that sweet guitar outro added for the 3rd US leg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RupNCPVAJg

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #209 on: May 10, 2014, 10:54:05 PM »
Thanks for the thread resurrection, ytserush! Work's been crazy lately so I haven't had the time to focus on this like I used to. In a week or so, I'll revisit this and continue with the Counterparts tour (which is one of my favorites as far as set lists go).

Great tidbits regarding the RTB tour! I had forgotten about the "Neil Has Cancer" thing. At least, I'm fairly certain I remember reading about it in some article or book about Rush that I own. :lol

-Marc.