Author Topic: RIP George Michael  (Read 6468 times)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Re: RIP George Michael
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2016, 01:11:27 PM »
While surprising, it looks like he had an uncontrolled heroin addiction. His boyfriend called the previous three weeks "complicated", which probably refers to heavy abuse.

Don't know if that's the cause, but his heavy use of such drug may have weakened his heart.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2016, 01:15:07 PM »
George was my favorite non-rock/metal male vocalist. So, this was very hard news to hear. Yet another 2016 death of a music icon and on fucking Christmas.
His technique was absolutely flawless and his live performances always ended up sounding better than his studio work.

I also agree George stole the show at the Freddy Tribute concert. Unbelievable.

If you want to hear a song of his that has moments that sound a lot like Freddie, check out  "Mother's Pride". One of the saddest songs
I've ever heard in my life.

As a trivia, before he formed what was to become Wham with Andrew Ridgeley, he used to sing Queen songs in the street.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2016, 06:27:29 AM »
Sir Elton John is reportedly set to perform 'Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me' on the funeral. They performed it as a duet in 1991.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2016, 07:49:57 AM »

RIP George.  Not a fan, but dude could sing and has some stellar tunes.

Same here (I thought there era of Faith/I Want Your Sex was awful) , but I did like I Knew You Were Waiting w/Aretha Franklin as a little kid.      He's a bit like Pink/Fergie in that I would've liked to hear a bit more of what he could do in a rock setting.   Certainly had the power .

this.  One of the best singers of that generation, no caveats, no explanations, but honestly, his catalogue doesn't hold up to some of the true legends.   If he could have had a foil, a partner that would have carried their weight (Page/Plant, Tyler/Perry, Lennon/McCartney, Michael/???) it would be different.

Still a great loss, and still a massive (vocal) talent.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2016, 08:52:23 AM »

Same here (I thought there era of Faith/I Want Your Sex was awful) , but I did like I Knew You Were Waiting w/Aretha Franklin as a little kid.      He's a bit like Pink/Fergie in that I would've liked to hear a bit more of what he could do in a rock setting.   Certainly had the power .

this.  One of the best singers of that generation, no caveats, no explanations, but honestly, his catalogue doesn't hold up to some of the true legends.   If he could have had a foil, a partner that would have carried their weight (Page/Plant, Tyler/Perry, Lennon/McCartney, Michael/???) it would be different.

Yes, I think that GM's material became too mellow over the years with not enough catchy , rocking tunes. I'm sure he would have done very well in, let's say, a pop rock band. Certainly had the pipes for that.

B.Lee

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2016, 10:54:01 AM »
Actually, I wonder how he would've sounded on DT.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2016, 10:59:04 AM »
You know what, I bet not bad.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2016, 11:12:22 AM »
You know what, I bet not bad.

Incidentally, JLB said in an interview some time ago (in the 90s I think) that he loved GM's voice and singing.

B.Lee

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2016, 11:17:08 AM »
"Freedom" the documentary coming in March to the BBC and Showtime in the States

https://www.factmag.com/2016/12/27/george-michael-listen-without-prejudice-vol-1-freedom-documentary/

Michael was making Freedom in conjunction with Channel 4, to be released alongside a reissue of the 1990 album. The film will reportedly focus on the late artist’s career, rather than his personal life, and features interviews with Elton John, Stevie Wonder, Tony Bennett, James Corden, Ricky Gervais and more. It has been narrated by Michael himself.

unreleased song with Elton that his boyfriend Fadi shared (and has since been deleted?)
https://womc.cbslocal.com/2016/12/29/george-michaelelton-john-previously-unreleased-song-surfaces/

Also there's reportedly enough material for 3 more studio records potentially to come out.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 11:25:53 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2016, 11:29:59 AM »

Yes, I think that GM's material became too mellow over the years with not enough catchy , rocking tunes. I'm sure he would have done very well in, let's say, a pop rock band. Certainly had the pipes for that.

B.Lee

Please don't take this as arguing with you; more just shooting the shit about a favorite artist, but I think it's less the genre (rockin' versus ballad) than it is about the timeliness of it.   I think Elton John is a great comparison.  He's had his moments in the '80's (didn't we all?) but for the most part, his catalogue has survived being dated in a way that most don't.    I think George suffered a bit for that.   There's no iconic, timeless song, is there?  Maybe "Careless Whisper", but there's not "that song", the one that 40 people pile onto a stage and sing together in tribute, you know?

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2016, 11:35:29 AM »

B.Lee

Please don't take this as arguing with you; more just shooting the shit about a favorite artist, but I think it's less the genre (rockin' versus ballad) than it is about the timeliness of it.   I think Elton John is a great comparison.  He's had his moments in the '80's (didn't we all?) but for the most part, his catalogue has survived being dated in a way that most don't.    I think George suffered a bit for that.   There's no iconic, timeless song, is there?  Maybe "Careless Whisper", but there's not "that song", the one that 40 people pile onto a stage and sing together in tribute, you know?

Yes, I think you're perfectly right about that. No song of his except for CW or maybe Last Christmas have that timelessness you talk about. I for one think that some of his material after that could have had that character, especially on LWP (Mother's Pride in particular), but GM suffered a lot from his 80s image and people haven't looked further, which is a shame.

B.Lee
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 12:28:15 PM by Bertielee »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2016, 12:45:05 PM »
How do you feel he suffered from his 80s image? It was a valid point someone made that his material hasn't aged as well as someone like Elton's, but he was huge in the 80s.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2016, 01:32:55 PM »
How do you feel he suffered from his 80s image? It was a valid point someone made that his material hasn't aged as well as someone like Elton's, but he was huge in the 80s.

Of course he was huge, but I feel people wanted him to do a Faith 2 and didn't let him a chance when he came up with LWP. Maybe I should have said music rather than image.

B.Lee

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2016, 01:44:21 PM »
There's no iconic, timeless song, is there?  Maybe "Careless Whisper", but there's not "that song", the one that 40 people pile onto a stage and sing together in tribute, you know?
I think that Freedom '90 is that song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2016, 07:08:01 PM »
I could always see Faith being that song, as well.  Very easy song for a lot of people to sing and clap along to.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2016, 07:34:04 PM »
Can't put my finger on Freedom. I'm sure I know it.

Honestly, if there's one signature song that a roomful of people would drunkly belt out, it's probably Wham's Wake Me Up Before You Go Go. (Is that even the title?)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2016, 08:09:41 PM »
After all these years (since I first heard it in 1988) Kissing A Fool remains as one of my all-time favorite songs ever!! RIP George.  :'(
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2016, 09:14:52 AM »
There's no iconic, timeless song, is there?  Maybe "Careless Whisper", but there's not "that song", the one that 40 people pile onto a stage and sing together in tribute, you know?

Not arguing, just discussing, but I mean more... universal.  In this very thread there's someone that can't place that song.  How many even casual fans can't place "Pull Me Under" or "Tom Sawyer" or "Candle In The Wind" (Elton has about 10 of them).     

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2016, 11:11:36 AM »
my wife is echoing a lot of the praise to Kissing a Fool.

But cringing at the idea of James LaBrie and Dream Theater fans liking her guy and GM singing Dream Theater music.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2016, 10:38:12 PM »

Not arguing, just discussing, but I mean more... universal.  In this very thread there's someone that can't place that song.  How many even casual fans can't place "Pull Me Under" or "Tom Sawyer" or "Candle In The Wind" (Elton has about 10 of them).   

Well, if you are talking about simply "placing a song," I suspect that most people are going to know Careless Whisper. They might not know who it is by or even the name of it, but I suspect most could hear part of it and think, "Yeah, I've heard that before."

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2017, 10:59:26 AM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2017, 05:20:00 PM »
Documentary "Freedom" airing tomorrow night on SHOWTIME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtKB_FXL3Iw

also Listen Without Prejudice / MYTV Unplugged (Deluxe) came out today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LQV2Z7C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2017, 06:59:07 PM »
I'll have to check out the documentary tomorrow, looks good!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2017, 08:07:47 AM »
DVR'd the documentary and watched it last night. Very good. 

I still think it would have been cool for Queen to tour with George Michael as the singer after Freddie died.  His performance of Somebody to Love at the Tribute concert was magnificent.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2017, 09:52:31 AM »
DVR'd the documentary and watched it last night. Very good. 

I still think it would have been cool for Queen to tour with George Michael as the singer after Freddie died.  His performance of Somebody to Love at the Tribute concert was magnificent.

I thought that as well. I don't know why they never toured with him, George Michael had an unbelievable voice.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2017, 01:24:25 PM »
Michael was going through a lot of personal stuff in the 90s, so I doubt he wanted the added stress of touring with Queen on a full time basis and replacing a legend like Freddie. 

The surprising thing to me at the time was how he kind of fell of the map here in the States for much of the 90s.  After the success of Faith, I thought he'd be THE dominant 90s pop star, or at least for the early 90s, but it didn't turn out that way.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2019, 09:06:33 PM »
bump.

The "Last Christmas" film soundtrack comes out on Friday and it includes 1 unreleased new George Michael track.

"This Is How (We Want to Get High)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1kWLPGUKcs

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2019, 03:28:24 PM »
Really sad news, must be crushing for the family.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2019, 03:37:40 PM »
Everytime I see this thread bump, my first thought is always, Holy Shit George Michael died!  :facepalm: :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2019, 04:59:46 PM »
I saw a documentary of George very early in the AM a couple of days ago.  Never a 'fan', but did admire the talent and charisma, and had forgotten just how famous he was worldwide back in the day.  As a Queen fan, he was THE artist that nailed his performance at the Freddie Tribute Concert    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvM2Cmi-YRU    and of the rampant rumors that he might tour with the surviving members (that would've been one hell of a tour!) 

Anyhoo....sad what his final years were like, and then his sister passing on the anniversary as well. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2023, 01:25:15 PM »
bump.

Wham! Box Set coming on Vinyl. I can't see my wife not picking this up.

https://superdeluxeedition.com/video/sdetv-looks-back-wham-the-final-box/
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 01:19:45 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2023, 11:23:54 AM »
bump.

today 6/25/23 would have been George Michael's 60th Birthday (and oddly, 6 months to the day he died, X-Mas day 2016).

also there's a new documentary coming out on Wham! on Netflix on July 5th.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8huyeTjZjik

also oddly, today is the same day Michael Jackson died in 2009.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2023, 12:03:16 PM »
bump.

today 6/25/23 would have been George Michael's 60th Birthday (and oddly, 6 months to the day he died, X-Mas day 2016).

also there's a new documentary coming out on Wham! on Netflix on July 5th.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8huyeTjZjik

also oddly, today is the same day Michael Jackson died in 2009.

And Farah Fawcett (though obviously not a musician)
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2023, 05:28:15 AM »
Elton John dedicated his performance of Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me to George Michael during his headline set at Glastonbury last night.