Author Topic: Listened to Scenes From a Memory Last Night  (Read 3939 times)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: Listened to Scenes From a Memory Last Night
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2014, 09:52:06 PM »
^I agree with pretty much everything in the above post except in regards to Beyond This Life. I don't know what song you're listening to if that song isn't heavy. :lol

Offline LTE3

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2014, 10:57:11 PM »
The album is goddamn perfect. Leave it alone!

Nail on head my friend, man do I miss hearing Home in their set lists. That was always one of the best songs of the concert and the crowd response was always amazing. Let's make a vacal stance to get it back in the set list.Come on who'w with me?
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »
My theory on the momentum:

Four of the album's six songs are very heavy and very epic.  Beyond This Life is over 10 minutes long.  On an album like DT12, which never relents, this is okay.  But Scenes starts with Regression, a very soft song.  It sets up an emotional expectation for a lot of modulation.  By the time you get to THE, you think "finally, some relief from all the insanity."  And then it throws Home, the centerpiece of the album, right after it.  And then the insanity of TDOE.  Then the epic OLT.  Then the epic TSCO.  Then the grand finale.

You keep wanting some room to breathe and it never happens.  And then it's over.

Okay. but you have to look at the moments within the songs. 

Through My Words might only be a little over a minute, but when you factor in the opening of Fatal Tragedy continuing that mellow vibe before the whole band kicks back in, that is nearly two minutes of "come down" after the bombastic Overture 1928 and rocking Strange Deja Vu. 

While Beyond This Life is a heavy song per se, it has some wonderful mellow moments, like the first chorus ("Our deeds have traveled..."), which we hear several times. 

It's not like it is non-stop rocking intensity from the beginning of Overture 1928 to the end of Beyond This Life.

Plus, Home's first 100 seconds are extremely mellow, and then you have the slow, mellow build-up in the middle prior to the solos. 

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2014, 01:28:04 AM »
The album is goddamn perfect. Leave it alone!

Nail on head my friend, man do I miss hearing Home in their set lists. That was always one of the best songs of the concert and the crowd response was always amazing. Let's make a vacal stance to get it back in the set list.Come on who'w with me?

I'm with you! Home is the most perfect song on their most perfect album.

Offline James Sucellus

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2014, 01:39:21 AM »
I think Strange Deja Vu is my favourite. That song just gets me so damn pumped.

SFAM is an insanely cheesy album ('AN OPEN DOOR, I WALK ON THROUGH, INTO HIS BEEEEEDROOOOOOOOM!'), but it's a sheer delight every time. I rank it as my third favourite DT album, behind Awake and I+W, and I'd like to see DT tackle a rock opera again.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 01:45:05 AM by James Sucellus »