Author Topic: Emerson Lake & Palmer Discography  (Read 46500 times)

Offline Silent Man

Re: Emerson Lake & Palmer Discography
« Reply #280 on: February 16, 2020, 08:48:14 AM »
Regarding The Nice:

They were awesome at their time. As a young man, I joined two of their concerts in Denmark, must be 50 years ago now. At their first concert, I stood about 2 meters away from bassist Lee Jackson, playing on a teardrop Vox bass I think, and I thought it was mindblowing. And I could still see Emerson throwing knives into the Hammond. At their second concert, they opened up with 'Karelia Suite', including a long intro that slowly built up to the main theme. It was majestic and unforgettable.
Their catalogue is not that big, just 3-4 studio albums I think. I was able to buy a 3CD collection for a fair price, remastered and all. It contained their first 2 albums plus a bunch of live recordings. Then I bought Five Bridges also, so at that time I think I had the complete collection. Some more might have come up later, I don't know.

Ars Longa Vita Brevis was the album I played the most.

Hammond-based bands was not uncommon at that time. I guess they wouldn't stand a chance nowadays. 'The Crazy World of Arthur Brown' was another one. They did a studio live recording on danish TV and I was glued to TV set. Again, it was fantastic. And the drummer was - Carl Palmer. So later on when ELP was formed, I was all set.

And BTW, I really loved their first album. It's like they just found their momentum and the music really kicks ass on this one. Just IMO of course.

Edit: the 3CD collection was named 'Here Come The Nice'.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 08:53:34 AM by Silent Man »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #281 on: February 16, 2020, 04:24:20 PM »
That must have been amazing, seeing The Nice!

Re-reading what I wrote at the beginning there, I may have come across as a bit dismissive of The Nice, and I definitely did not mean to be.  They were an important band in early Art Rock.  Even if their music didn't directly have a huge impact on people (not outside their circle at the time anyway), Keith cut his chops with them and thus through ELP impacted every keyboard player alive at the time.  Their Classical-Rock stuff is fun.  Jackson and Davidson weren't slouches, either.  I like the Refugee album they did with Patrick Moraz.

Offline Silent Man

« Reply #282 on: February 16, 2020, 05:11:39 PM »
That must have been amazing, seeing The Nice!

Re-reading what I wrote at the beginning there, I may have come across as a bit dismissive of The Nice, and I definitely did not mean to be.  They were an important band in early Art Rock.  Even if their music didn't directly have a huge impact on people (not outside their circle at the time anyway), Keith cut his chops with them and thus through ELP impacted every keyboard player alive at the time.  Their Classical-Rock stuff is fun.  Jackson and Davidson weren't slouches, either.  I like the Refugee album they did with Patrick Moraz.

Yeah, I own that Refugee album too, on vinyl. And probably everything else related to these bands. I did a read-up regarding the ‘Here Come The Nice’ collection, and it appears that it contains 3 studio albums, plus live stuff. The third album was called ‘Nice’. I’m not exactly sure about the ‘Five Bridges’ album, but I think it was a studio album as well, and not included in the 3CD box set. Must play it again! The fun about having a huge collection like mine is that you forget about what is in there and sometimes find treasures!

As far as I remember, Emerson kept his style somewhat on the first ELP album - not much synth, if any - but his Hammond smokes. On their next album he established their synth sound (mostly Moog), which lasted on all their later albums.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #283 on: February 16, 2020, 06:24:28 PM »
Emerson got one of the first Modular Moog synthesizers, if not the first, and that's when things really started to take off for both of them.  Moog had been making synths since 1964, but they were mostly seen as "experimental" instruments.  Moog gave that Modular to Keith around the same time as the first ELP album, and Keith figured out how to do things with it that Moog hadn't even imagined.  ELP helped put the Moog, and synthesizers in general, out there in the public ear.

Keith stuck with primarily Moogs for years, only switching to the Yamaha GX-1 around the Works sessions.  It was very different, and I think just doing something different and creating sounds in a different way was attractive to Keith at the time.

Offline Silent Man

« Reply #284 on: February 17, 2020, 05:14:56 AM »
Emerson got one of the first Modular Moog synthesizers, if not the first, and that's when things really started to take off for both of them.  Moog had been making synths since 1964, but they were mostly seen as "experimental" instruments.  Moog gave that Modular to Keith around the same time as the first ELP album, and Keith figured out how to do things with it that Moog hadn't even imagined.  ELP helped put the Moog, and synthesizers in general, out there in the public ear.

Keith stuck with primarily Moogs for years, only switching to the Yamaha GX-1 around the Works sessions.  It was very different, and I think just doing something different and creating sounds in a different way was attractive to Keith at the time.

You are right, I remember photos showing him with someting looking like an old telephone switch board, plugging cables in and out. It was really fantastic what he got out of it, I guess he spent 100s of hours learning how to operate it.

More on The Nice:

Although Emerson used most of the time on the Hammond, he used to switch to an upright piano and perform endless traditional jazz improvisations with Davidson. I didn't fancy it too much, neither did the audience I think. It was still a rock /pop audience and traditional jazz was close to a no-go at these concerts at the time. I think he left it, when ELP was formed, even though they had a few songs of this piano-jazz style on their repertoire.

It was sad news for me, when he decided to leave The Nice. I think he had two reasons to do so:

Jackson couldn't sing. He sounded like a frog.

Neither Jackson or Davidson had the confidence /charisma to fill up huge stadions - but Emerson had, and he wanted it.

So he got Lake and Palmer, and by this hit the right spot. As seen with famous bands, the right combinations suddenly clicks and they create unforgettable music.

In 1970, I was at the Fehmarn festival in Germany and heard ELP for the first time. I think it was 3am at night and I barely remember what they played. To be honest, we smoked a lot of weed and drank many beers, for three days, in a terrible weather. I don't know how I survived this. At the same event, I also witnessed the last performance Hendrix did, before he died shortly afterwards.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Pictures at an Exhibition - Rachel Flowers at Prog on the Ranch
« Reply #285 on: February 19, 2020, 11:24:31 AM »
I couldn't find a generic Emerson Lake & Palmer thread so I'll put this here.  I found it while digging some Rachel Flowers videos.

No rehearsal. "We just discussed some cues and transitions." Incredible.  I'm mesmerized watching her mess with the Nords' settings better than I could ever do and I can see!

Also during Prog on the Ranch, she played flute on some Jethro Tull covers, and guitar on some King Crimson.  I recently posted her video for "Montana" with Zappa Plays Zappa in the Zappa thread.

Offline nattmorker

Re: Pictures at an Exhibition - Rachel Flowers at Prog on the Ranch
« Reply #286 on: February 19, 2020, 08:16:12 PM »
I couldn't find a generic Emerson Lake & Palmer thread so I'll put this here.  I found it while digging some Rachel Flowers videos.

No rehearsal. "We just discussed some cues and transitions." Incredible.  I'm mesmerized watching her mess with the Nords' settings better than I could ever do and I can see!

Also during Prog on the Ranch, she played flute on some Jethro Tull covers, and guitar on some King Crimson.  I recently posted her video for "Montana" with Zappa Plays Zappa in the Zappa thread.

That was impressive, I haven't heard of her. She is awesome!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #287 on: February 19, 2020, 08:38:53 PM »
She is indeed.  I first heard of her a few years ago when someone posted some vids of her doing ELP stuff.

Offline Silent Man

Re: Pictures at an Exhibition - Rachel Flowers at Prog on the Ranch
« Reply #288 on: February 20, 2020, 08:13:46 AM »

What a performance! I understand it was a quick setup, not planned, and the singer shouldn't have been there - but that woman. If it was a blindtest, I wouldn't dare to say who was Emerson or her (aside from her different synth sounds). She just knows all the Emerson chops! And plays with ease!

I'm not a keyboard expert (my primary instrument is guitar), but I love the Hammond sound so much that I bought a 2ndhand Roland RD-700, which has (IMO) a decent Hammond sound with leslie effect.
Now when I hear that Nord C2D, it's like another world. It's so close to a B3 that I wouldn't dare to tell the difference. Yes, the roadies know the difference between ~20kgs. and ~300kgs.!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #289 on: February 27, 2020, 05:51:04 PM »

You are right, I remember photos showing him with someting looking like an old telephone switch board, plugging cables in and out. It was really fantastic what he got out of it, I guess he spent 100s of hours learning how to operate it.

More on The Nice:

Although Emerson used most of the time on the Hammond, he used to switch to an upright piano and perform endless traditional jazz improvisations with Davidson. I didn't fancy it too much, neither did the audience I think. It was still a rock /pop audience and traditional jazz was close to a no-go at these concerts at the time. I think he left it, when ELP was formed, even though they had a few songs of this piano-jazz style on their repertoire.

It was sad news for me, when he decided to leave The Nice. I think he had two reasons to do so:

Neither Jackson or Davidson had the confidence /charisma to fill up huge stadions - but Emerson had, and he wanted it.

So he got Lake and Palmer, and by this hit the right spot. As seen with famous bands, the right combinations suddenly clicks and they create unforgettable music.

In 1970, I was at the Fehmarn festival in Germany and heard ELP for the first time. I think it was 3am at night and I barely remember what they played. To be honest, we smoked a lot of weed and drank many beers, for three days, in a terrible weather. I don't know how I survived this. At the same event, I also witnessed the last performance Hendrix did, before he died shortly afterwards.

Wow. Some great memories you have there.

I love The Nice. I wish they'd done more together but then we' wouldn't have had Emerson Lake and Palmer.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #290 on: February 27, 2020, 05:54:19 PM »
She is indeed.  I first heard of her a few years ago when someone posted some vids of her doing ELP stuff.

She's been doing that for most of her life. Very talented.

Offline Silent Man

« Reply #291 on: February 29, 2020, 01:48:06 AM »

More on The Nice:

I love The Nice. I wish they'd done more together but then we' wouldn't have had Emerson Lake and Palmer.

Yeah, as said I was disappointed when they split. But that was also because I was unaware about what was to come. I loved The Nice, but I’d say I loved ELP more!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #292 on: March 14, 2020, 06:52:21 PM »

More on The Nice:

Yeah, as said I was disappointed when they split. But that was also because I was unaware about what was to come. I loved The Nice, but I’d say I loved ELP more!

I suppose you could argue that they are fairly similar to each other but I think the bands always thought each had different goals. Though you could sat the musical landscape was changing very quickly at that point.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #293 on: May 28, 2021, 08:00:26 PM »
https://youtu.be/_FMjCN6jEyY

Doug Helvering reacts/analyzes "Tarkus". If you haven't heard of Doug, he's a composer/professor/conductor of music, and his reaction videos have a lot of on-the-fly analysis of the music he listens to. This one on "Tarkus" is a bit different though, in that he's watching a video with transcriptions of the song, which helps him make his analysis easier!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #294 on: March 15, 2023, 12:18:03 PM »
Hey, anyone have or have heard any of the shows from the "Official Bootleg Series", the four box sets they released of live material?  Is the sound any good?  Is it at least better than that Asia box that's out there (Quadra, not the new one with some of the same shows). 

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #295 on: March 15, 2023, 03:05:46 PM »
Would LOVE to do a "top whatever" list for ELP!

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #296 on: March 16, 2023, 04:15:55 AM »
I don't know enough about their music, but I have always wanted DT to do a cover of Tarkus... I guess with MP gone it is unlikely to happen at this stage of their career, I guess?
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #297 on: March 16, 2023, 06:05:09 AM »
I don't know enough about their music, but I have always wanted DT to do a cover of Tarkus... I guess with MP gone it is unlikely to happen at this stage of their career, I guess?

Closest you'll get is Jordan Rudess' cover of "Tarkus" from his album The Road Home.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #298 on: March 16, 2023, 03:00:41 PM »

Closest you'll get is Jordan Rudess' cover of "Tarkus" from his album The Road Home.

-Marc.

There is also a cover of Tarkus featuring JLB and Derek Sherinian on Magna Carta’s Encores, Legends & Paradox tribute album. MP and Rudess each played on other tracks on that release, but it was Simon Phillips on drums for Tarkus.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #299 on: March 18, 2023, 05:56:13 PM »
Hey, anyone have or have heard any of the shows from the "Official Bootleg Series", the four box sets they released of live material?  Is the sound any good?  Is it at least better than that Asia box that's out there (Quadra, not the new one with some of the same shows).

Have the first three boxes and the performances are what you would expect, but I highly doubt you'll sit through the sound quality. The reformation shows in the '90s sound pretty good but that's not an era I really visit much live as I really don't like many of those performances.

In short I'd put them in the same class as Quadra. Could never fathom who may have thought selling shows that sound this way "officially" was good idea. Most sound like they are essentially audience recordings.

Not sure I would have bought them if I knew about this beforehand when they were released but I love ELP so they are still here if I ever get the urge.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #300 on: March 18, 2023, 05:57:39 PM »

-Marc.

He's also on a few tribute albums and has played a few tribute shows live.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: March 20, 2023, 06:31:44 AM »

Have the first three boxes and the performances are what you would expect, but I highly doubt you'll sit through the sound quality. The reformation shows in the '90s sound pretty good but that's not an era I really visit much live as I really don't like many of those performances.

In short I'd put them in the same class as Quadra. Could never fathom who may have thought selling shows that sound this way "officially" was good idea. Most sound like they are essentially audience recordings.

Not sure I would have bought them if I knew about this beforehand when they were released but I love ELP so they are still here if I ever get the urge.

Thank you for this.  I appreciate you taking the time to let me know.  You're right, of course.  I got Quadra for like four bucks or something, so it wasn't too big a bummer (and I NEVER listen to it now).  The ELP boxes are not cheap, though and I can't see me paying the $60 or $70 they regularly command on Discogs for something I won't listen to.  There's enough official stuff that sounds good.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #302 on: March 24, 2023, 09:43:16 PM »

Thank you for this.  I appreciate you taking the time to let me know.  You're right, of course.  I got Quadra for like four bucks or something, so it wasn't too big a bummer (and I NEVER listen to it now).  The ELP boxes are not cheap, though and I can't see me paying the $60 or $70 they regularly command on Discogs for something I won't listen to.  There's enough official stuff that sounds good.

No problem!  I didn't pay much for Quadra either but it was more than $4. I think it was in the $10 to $12 range shortly after it was released.

A lot of the performances on those ELP boots are top notch but most are average to below average audience recordings. Most of the official stuff isn't that much worse and in some cases just as good.

Don't know how you feel about Emerson Lake and Powell, but their official bootleg is really good and sounds great.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #304 on: January 30, 2024, 06:44:09 PM »
I saw that earlier today as well.  Could be interesting.  I liked the ELPowell album.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: January 31, 2024, 08:51:32 AM »
I'm all over this.  I really like the album ("Touch and Go" is one of my favorite ELP songs) and I've been sort of keeping an eye out for the rehearsals and live album but haven't found one at a price I could swallow.  This is the perfect answer.

I've also been in a big "Greg Lake" mode lately, from hearing the Asia In Asia set; if you are even remotely a fan of Lake, you should check it out; the CD version has the full set (including encores, though out of order) and the band stretched out a bit live; several of the songs have extended outros and what not, and it's a really, really well done set.  Plus, Greg's voice is like sweet nectar, smooth as silk.   Haha.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #306 on: February 02, 2024, 09:14:09 PM »
Figured this would land best here:

https://bravewords.com/news/emerson-lake-powell-the-complete-collection-3cd-box-set-available-in-april

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/emerson-lake-and-powell-the-complete-collection-3cd-box/

Except for the enhanced booklet there is nothing here I don't already have.  Pretty cool to have everything in one place though and great for someone just getting into them.

RE Greg Lake, I'm (finally) reading his autobiography (Still reading Geddy's  too but I've been slow walking that.) On the second page he claims Madison Square Garden has 22,000 seats. I don't know why that bothers me, but it does. Is it an honest error not caught by the fact checker or editor? I've always found him to be somewhat loose with facts so I don't know how much of his story I should believe but so far it's been a pretty easy read. He's my least favorite member of ELP so I really don't know too much about his life.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: February 05, 2024, 09:42:20 AM »

https://bravewords.com/news/emerson-lake-powell-the-complete-collection-3cd-box-set-available-in-april

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/emerson-lake-and-powell-the-complete-collection-3cd-box/

Except for the enhanced booklet there is nothing here I don't already have.  Pretty cool to have everything in one place though and great for someone just getting into them.

RE Greg Lake, I'm (finally) reading his autobiography (Still reading Geddy's  too but I've been slow walking that.) On the second page he claims Madison Square Garden has 22,000 seats. I don't know why that bothers me, but it does. Is it an honest error not caught by the fact checker or editor? I've always found him to be somewhat loose with facts so I don't know how much of his story I should believe but so far it's been a pretty easy read. He's my least favorite member of ELP so I really don't know too much about his life.

Its still 20,000 for concerts, though.  I mean, it's wrong, but not egregiously so.  But I get it.

Tangentially related, what bugs me is when artists say they "played the Garden" but meant the THEATER AT Madison Square Garden, which is a smaller, less than 5,000 seat theater underneath the Garden itself.  THAT'S disingenuous.

By the way, Yes is one of a handful of acts to have a "platinum ticket", meaning they sold more than 250,000 tickets at MSG.  Led Zeppelin played more shows there than at any other arena in the States.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #308 on: February 17, 2024, 11:12:02 AM »

Its still 20,000 for concerts, though.  I mean, it's wrong, but not egregiously so.  But I get it.

Tangentially related, what bugs me is when artists say they "played the Garden" but meant the THEATER AT Madison Square Garden, which is a smaller, less than 5,000 seat theater underneath the Garden itself.  THAT'S disingenuous.

By the way, Yes is one of a handful of acts to have a "platinum ticket", meaning they sold more than 250,000 tickets at MSG.  Led Zeppelin played more shows there than at any other arena in the States.

You're absolutely right about the attendance. The hockey numbers were seared in my brain. Didn't make the obvious adjustment for concerts. More than half way though Greg's book. Mildly entertaining and easy to get through. He's mellowed a bit too. He's acknowledged some events where there was some disagreement with Keith but he also tells Keith's recollections. I was also hoping to learn a lot more than I have so far.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #309 on: March 16, 2024, 07:14:51 PM »
Finally finished Greg Lake's book. Quick read. Didn't learn as much as I hoped. Thought it might be a bit more revealing but it had it's moments. Reading about Keith' death hit me hard again.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #310 on: March 17, 2024, 01:43:33 PM »
did anyone catch the Emerson/Lake tour in like...'08/'09 i want to say? seeing this thread made me think of that show
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #311 on: March 18, 2024, 12:24:40 AM »
did anyone catch the Emerson/Lake tour in like...'08/'09 i want to say? seeing this thread made me think of that show

2010. That was such a treat to see. I got tickets for me and my dad to see it in New Bedford, MA. He brought me to my first ever big rock show, which just so happened to be Deep Purple and ELP with Dream Theater opening in 1998. I was able to pay him back with headlining shows of all three bands in '07 (DT), '10 (E&L), and '11 (DP). I think ELP was my favorite in '98, and they hadn't toured since then. This 2010 show was beautifully done with just the two of them and we both loved it. There's a great recording of the show in CT from that tour that I love hearing.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

« Reply #312 on: March 18, 2024, 06:51:23 AM »
ooh 2010, awesome! and yeah I remember it being a real treat to see them both on stage together
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: March 18, 2024, 08:38:38 AM »
Last I saw them was '96.  But the '92/'93 tours were what I remember.  I was third row center for the '93 show and I got a stick point and a wink from Carl during the show, and seeing Greg Lake from 10 feet way singing Pirates ("Six days, off the Cuban coast...") was transcendent.

« Reply #314 on: March 18, 2024, 01:25:27 PM »
jealous of those that got to see the formal ELP. this is why i try to see all the legends and heroes while there's still time
Welcome to the Forums!