Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 160780 times)

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #2555 on: June 09, 2014, 09:00:08 AM »
For a while there, the only way you could see Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers on MTV was this video. Wasn't until after this MTV started playing any videos at all by Tom Petty. It is pretty much a Tom Petty song largely sung by Stevie Nicks, though.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2556 on: June 09, 2014, 09:36:58 AM »
Haha.  Vinyl?

Yep.  It's the awesome original vinyl release with the newspaper multifold and ev'rythin'.  Every once in a while, I feel kinda bad about it.  My friend Jim actually "gave" them to me (along with a bunch of others), saying his mom never listened to them, which is true, but I found out later that she was kinda pissed about it, as they were not his to give away.  Also, his mom was really hot.  She was my first "friend's hot mom" crush.  So when I'm going through my vinyl and see the albums which I'm not really supposed to have, I think of her, and smile.  You wouldn't want me to lose that, would you?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2557 on: June 09, 2014, 09:50:59 AM »
Jethro Tull - Bungle in the Jungle
Not familiary with this one.  Tull is another one of those bands I've always been aware of, but I don't know anything other than radio hits, but I don't know this one.

Stevie Nicks & Tom Petty - Stop Draggin' My Heart Around
I like Petty, and this is a good song, but I've heard it so many times that I could really do without it now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2558 on: June 09, 2014, 02:30:55 PM »
Haha.  Vinyl?

Yep.  It's the awesome original vinyl release with the newspaper multifold and ev'rythin'.  Every once in a while, I feel kinda bad about it.  My friend Jim actually "gave" them to me (along with a bunch of others), saying his mom never listened to them, which is true, but I found out later that she was kinda pissed about it, as they were not his to give away.  Also, his mom was really hot.  She was my first "friend's hot mom" crush.  So when I'm going through my vinyl and see the albums which I'm not really supposed to have, I think of her, and smile.  You wouldn't want me to lose that, would you?

Definitely not. :hat

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2559 on: June 10, 2014, 09:49:11 AM »
Rainbow - Since You Been Gone

Being that I only knew three Rainbow songs for forever (one of which was more of an 80s tune, Street of Dreams), it always seemed weird how different the two classic rock staples were, this and the afore-discussed Man on the Silver Mountain.  Obviously, the change in vocalists is a major reason why.  But I like this song; it's catchy, and I've always loved that little bridge in the middle, mostly cause that little guitar lead that leads into the vocal just has a resonance to it that is really cool.  The outro is really sweet, as well.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2560 on: June 10, 2014, 09:55:53 AM »
Around here the Rainbow classic rock staples are Stone Cold and...Stone Cold.  :lol

Since You Been Gone used to get played on the local rock station here, back when Rainbow was still a thing. Funny thing about it is how many other bands Graham Bonnet has done it with-it appears on an Alcratrazz live album from the Yngwie days, and the version he did with Impelliteri around 1988 or so (on the album I liked to call "Should Have Been The Third Alcatrazz Album", otherwise known as Stand In Line) was pretty damn spectacular, if only for the ridiculously over the top solo Chris Impelliteri played. If you haven't heard it, imagine Yngwie after he drank a six pack of Monster energy drinks  :lol

Great song though. Russ Ballard could write some catchy as hell hard rock.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2561 on: June 10, 2014, 09:56:39 AM »
Good song.  I always loved the little two-bar vocal canon they do in the intro, leading into the verse.  Very cool.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2562 on: June 10, 2014, 11:59:08 AM »
Around here, Rainbow is/was never a classic rock staple.  Prolly one of the reasons they passed me by and I don't know virtually anything by them.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2563 on: June 10, 2014, 12:34:40 PM »
Never got into Rainbow.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2564 on: June 10, 2014, 07:36:16 PM »
Big fan of Dio Rainbow.  Casual fan of post Dio Rainbow. 

Good, catchy tune.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2565 on: June 10, 2014, 08:40:05 PM »
This is a great tune to crank in your car and let people hear how poor of a singer you are.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2566 on: June 11, 2014, 11:41:52 AM »
Faces - Bad 'n' Ruin

I am not sure how much this got played on radio stations all over the country, but I remember when it was featured on the Sopranos, I knew I had heard it before, so I am sure it had to have been on classic rock radio at some point, cause where else would I have heard it, right? :lol  Anyway, good song, with a nice driving tempo.  And yeah, I can't hear the song without thinking of the Sopranos scene where it is featured:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iCDiUVcYH-c#t=44

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2567 on: June 11, 2014, 12:22:52 PM »
Never heard it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2568 on: June 11, 2014, 12:38:09 PM »
Same here.   The title isn't familiar, and I've never seen The Sopranos, so no help there.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2569 on: June 11, 2014, 12:41:39 PM »
Same here.   The title isn't familiar, and I've never seen The Sopranos, so no help there.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2570 on: June 11, 2014, 12:49:25 PM »
Well, shoot. :facepalm:

Okay, I'll do another today, and if anybody does know that Faces song, feel free to chime in.

Uriah Heep - Stealin'

I always liked this song, even though I had no clue who it was by for the longest time.  I like the mellow intro with the vocals over just the keys, before the whole band kicks in and they rock out the rest of the way.  Very underrated tune.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2571 on: June 11, 2014, 01:29:16 PM »
I'm a sucker for a good shuffle or 12/8 tune, and this one's a good one.  I was never a big Uriah Heep fan, but they had some good songs.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2572 on: June 11, 2014, 02:55:20 PM »
I'm a sucker for a good shuffle or 12/8 tune, and this one's a good one.  I was never a big Uriah Heep fan, but they had some good songs.
Much the same here.  Don't much Heap, but this is a cool tune.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2573 on: June 11, 2014, 04:27:52 PM »
Never heard of that Faces tune either

The only Uriah Heep I know is Easy Livin.  What I always remember about them though, was this one TV sportscaster back in the late 80s around here - Mark Hebscher.  He was the most comical guy, and always threw a nickname in for sports players.  Real obscure things too.  Baseball... journeyman outfielder... Danny "Uriah" Heep was Nolan Ryan's 400th strikeout victim.

You probably had to be there.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2574 on: June 12, 2014, 12:12:14 AM »
hmmm, I wonder if Chris Berman stole that shtick from him.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2575 on: June 12, 2014, 06:17:42 AM »
hmmm, I wonder if Chris Berman stole that shtick from him.

I can't remember which guy was using it first.  But it was just a local Toronto sportscast back then, so I doubt Berman would've ever got any exposure to it.  It's possible I suppose.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2576 on: June 12, 2014, 06:57:22 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, Berman was doing it prior to the late 80s.  Having said that, he loves Canada, and the CFL in particular, so it is not outside the realm of possibility that he had heard the guy (or vice/versa).

Of course, it is just as likely that the two thought of it independently.  That schtick makes sense to me, it sounds like something that I may have thought of myself.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2577 on: June 12, 2014, 06:59:01 AM »
Who wouldn't love the CFL, its awesome!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2578 on: June 12, 2014, 07:53:34 AM »
I can honestly say I haven't heard Stealin' until I just YT'd it. Pretty cool song actually. I always liked listening to Heep but for some reason I never bought any of their albums. :shrug
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2579 on: June 12, 2014, 09:01:22 AM »
Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - Crossfire

Ah, another "later" classic rock staple; I think SRV might be the one guy who qualifies as classic rock even though he wasn't around till the 80s.  Anyway, this is one helluva song, featuring, as always, some totally bad ass guitar playing by the man.  What a shame that he died so young. :(

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #2580 on: June 12, 2014, 09:02:24 AM »
great song.  killer guitar.  I think it's one of his best. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2581 on: June 12, 2014, 09:24:54 AM »
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE SRV, but this song wouldn't make my top 10 list (although it is still pretty good).

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2582 on: June 12, 2014, 09:39:55 AM »
Stevie Ray is another one of those guys whose albums I never bought, but who I'll listen to if I catch them on the radio.  Nice, tasty guitar work, bluesy song, good stuff.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2583 on: June 12, 2014, 10:21:04 AM »
My favorite guitar player, ever. Period. The end. Texas Flood was just edged out of my top 10 by Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, that's how much I like SRV. I own all of his studio albums and a ton of his live music and the man could play his ass off. Crossfire's one of his lesser songs, relatively speaking, but as I love SRV it goes without saying I like it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2584 on: June 12, 2014, 11:33:49 AM »
Great tune and I can tell you the man gave me goosebumps with his playing and damn he is loud!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2585 on: June 13, 2014, 09:38:28 AM »
Deep Purple - Knocking at Your Back Door

I always liked this song a lot.  Very cool cinematic intro, before breaking into a conventional rock tune.  Not much else to say about it, other than I like it.  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2586 on: June 13, 2014, 09:43:32 AM »
I'm not the biggest DP fan but that song (and album) is really good. Saw them not too long ago with Journey and that song was a highlight of the night.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2587 on: June 13, 2014, 09:45:26 AM »
Always loved the lyrics on this song for their sheer brass. "So we put her on the hit list, of a common cunning linguist, a master of many tongues."  :rollin

Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers is, in my opinion, the best reunion album ever, because it's one of the few that stands on the level of the work of the original line up in question. Knocking At Your Back Door is a fantastic opener; when Blackmore comes in, you go "HELLO."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2588 on: June 13, 2014, 09:58:19 AM »
Yep, this was an incredible comeback/reunion album.  First we got "Perfect Strangers" with Jon Lord's awesome Hammond sound, then we got this one, which stretches over seven minutes but doesn't feel like it.  A terrific one-two punch.

Great song.  I always crank it up when it comes on the radio or when shuffling my iPod.  Oh yeah, those lyrics are pretty fun, too.   :coolio

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2589 on: June 13, 2014, 12:03:11 PM »
Only a casual fan of DP, and I don't think I've ever heard this one.