Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 161354 times)

Offline masterthes

Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #2450 on: May 23, 2014, 01:39:41 PM »
Love Scenes and Surrender to death. Haven't listened to any Montrose yet

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2451 on: May 24, 2014, 10:47:49 AM »
Steve Miller Band - Jet Airliner

This is one of those songs I thought was really cool the first time I heard it, as it was fairly early on in my classic rock listening days IIRC, but as time went on, the shine wore off of this song quite a bit.  I still think it's a nice, catchy song, and I do like it still, but I just don't think it is as great as I did at first.  The synth intro, which I am pretty sure is considered a separate track, is really cool.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2452 on: May 24, 2014, 07:16:06 PM »
Favorite Steve Miller track (yes, I like it more than The Joker)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2453 on: May 25, 2014, 09:48:12 AM »
Great song, but for me it is far from their best.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2454 on: May 25, 2014, 12:15:34 PM »
Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight

Fantastic song, one that just brims with emotion and tension.  And who doesn't love what might be the most recognizable drum fill in any rock song ever?  It's like all of the tension that had built up to that point comes rushing out.  Say what you want about Collins' solo career, and a lot of it is pop fluff, but this song is a major winner.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2455 on: May 25, 2014, 06:01:30 PM »
I find a lot of Collins solo and Genesis material to be fluff; but like you said, this is a major winner.  The drums!!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2456 on: May 25, 2014, 07:36:07 PM »
In The Air Tonight was infamous in my house as the song that woke my sister up. She fell asleep while we were watching MTV, and That Drum Fill woke her up from a dead sleep.  :lol

Eric Clapton did a tour with Phil Collins playing drums and Phil got to do one of his songs, which was In The Air Tonight. Normally when Phil did it live, if memory serves, he would play the drums at the end alongside Chester Thompson, but for this version he went it alone and nailed everything while singing. Which was about the time he became one of my five favorite drummers of all time.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2457 on: May 25, 2014, 09:35:22 PM »
Always been a fan of Collins, and this song is definitely an all time great, but I have to be in the mood to hear it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2458 on: May 25, 2014, 09:42:15 PM »
I've gotten that "Wait, really?" look from a handful of friends over the years when Genesis or Collins came up in music conversations and I mentioned how great of a drummer Collins was in his heyday.  I blame those damn songs he did for Disney. :lol :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2459 on: May 26, 2014, 12:39:53 AM »
I love this song... But I always get an unreasonable and irresistible urge to wear a bright T-shirt under a white sport coat when I hear it!?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2460 on: May 26, 2014, 09:24:26 AM »
America - Ventura Highway

Gorgeous little song, featuring that sweet acoustic lead and, as always with this band, plenty of beautiful vocal harmonies.  It's hard to not to love this song.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2461 on: May 26, 2014, 08:12:12 PM »
Just getting caught up after 2 weeks of travel...

The Doors - Touch Me

Great short tune.  Love the keys on this one... it forever changed my impression of The Doors, as I was never too big on Riders or LA Woman, and that's what got the most radio airplay.

Boston - Rock and Roll Band

Another perfect 3 minute quick hit.  I'm with Deb... ain't nothing from the s/t that isn't absolutely perfect.  This one just packs it into the shortest amount of time, which makes it doubly awesome.

Oh, and after 300 features, here are the artists that have been featured the most so far:

Led Zeppelin 7

As it should be!

April Wine - I Like to Rock

April Wine was like our mini-me version of Boston.  Meat-and-potatoes, B-list rock act.  Always solid, couple of real standouts, and put on a great live show.

Joe Walsh - Rocky Mountain Way

Unlike Podaar... I hate the Triumph version.  Because of the damn radio airways laws up here (Canadian radio stations have to have a minimum % - I think 30 - of Canadian content), the Triumph version is ALWAYS played, and I only ever get to hear the Walsh version - which I love - on my iPod.  I cringe everytime I hear the Triumph version... and I love Triumph.  Walsh is what made this a great song, not Gil Moore.

Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight

Most epic drum fill in the history of ever.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2462 on: May 27, 2014, 06:18:24 AM »
America - Ventura Highway

Gorgeous little song, featuring that sweet acoustic lead and, as always with this band, plenty of beautiful vocal harmonies.  It's hard to not to love this song.

Always my favorite part of any America song. Great tune!  :tup
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2463 on: May 27, 2014, 08:15:43 AM »
Ventura Highway is a great song by an underrated band.  America was pretty cool.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2464 on: May 27, 2014, 12:13:22 PM »
Doucette - Mama Let Him Play

This could be another one of those regional hits, but KSHE played the shit out of this back in the day (hell, they still might, for all I know), so I know it pretty well.  I think right now might the first time I have gone out of my way to listen to it, however. :lol  It's a nice, catchy rock tune.  No more, no less.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2465 on: May 27, 2014, 12:18:29 PM »
Never heard of it
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2466 on: May 27, 2014, 01:08:47 PM »
Ventura Highway is a cool song and In The Air Tonight is awesome all around

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2467 on: May 27, 2014, 02:39:54 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2468 on: May 27, 2014, 03:21:52 PM »
Never heard of it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2469 on: May 28, 2014, 06:55:37 AM »
Mama let him play is on the radio here in Canada semi often.  Decent song.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2470 on: May 28, 2014, 07:58:17 AM »
Never made it to the east coast, apparently. Oh, how I miss the days where a band could be successful enough to sell out arenas in a region of the country but were total unknowns everywhere else. A time when a band like REO Speedwagon could put out nine albums over a decade, survive that decade, and break out nationally. No one in modern A&R would let a band stay on their label that long these days.

/old fogey rant
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2471 on: May 28, 2014, 08:26:39 AM »
Okay then, on to something everyone is guaranteed to know...

Led Zeppelin - Over the Hills and Far Away

This has been one of my favorite LZ songs since the first time I heard it.  Granted, I had to ask around to my circle of friends to find out what the name of it was :lol, but once I did, Houses of the Holy was quickly purchased.  Everything that made Zeppelin great can summed up in less than five minutes by listening to this song. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2472 on: May 28, 2014, 08:49:53 AM »
A sexy number that at first blush seems a little light for the mighty Led Zep, and then, then, it rocks! I give 3 snaps in a circle.

Oh, and you can't go wrong with Houses of the Holy. Ever!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2473 on: May 28, 2014, 09:31:37 AM »
Fantastic song.  One of my favorites from Zeppelin.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2474 on: May 28, 2014, 10:02:37 AM »
In general, I'm not a big fan of songs which are "first part light, second part heavy" because it seems like everyone does them, way too often, and not always well.  But this is a good one.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2475 on: May 28, 2014, 11:25:17 AM »
It's Jerry Doucette btw.  Love that track.  The guitar arpeggio section is spectacular.

Over The Hills .... one of the better tracks on HotH.  Great little acoustic intro, and Bobby absolutely belts it out in the chorus.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2476 on: May 28, 2014, 11:29:30 AM »
Love it, definitely one of the highlights from my fav Zep album

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2477 on: May 28, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »
Actually just listened to HOTH a few weeks ago.

Over The Hills is indeed a great song. Probably not in my Zep Top 10 though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2478 on: May 28, 2014, 12:45:54 PM »
Interesting thing about Over The Hills And Far Away is watching it grow longer and longer as it was in the band's set lists, starting out around six or so minutes when it arrived in the set in 1972, eventually stretching out into 8-10 minute versions by 1975, driven by longer and longer Page solos. It was also a very permanent part of the band's set list, appearing on their tours from 1972 to 1977 before finally taking a bow over the band's two shows at Knebworth in 1979. I half expected it to show at their 2007 reunion show.

And in virtually every version of it I've heard-I have a ton of Zep boots from 1972-1975 and many from 1977-Plant adds "Acapulco gold!" just after the "pocket full of gold" line going into the solo. Every. Single. Time.  :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2479 on: May 28, 2014, 08:07:51 PM »
classic Zep!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2480 on: May 29, 2014, 08:58:14 AM »
Neil Young - Cinnamon Girl

Like I have said before, I am not that big a fan of Young, although he does have his moments.  This is not one of them, IMO.  It's a very pedestrian song.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2481 on: May 29, 2014, 09:06:52 AM »
I'm not a fan of this one. I would literally change the station if this came on my radio.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2482 on: May 29, 2014, 09:37:41 AM »
Young is hit or miss for me.  I like this one, but I have to be in the right mood.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2483 on: May 29, 2014, 09:46:37 AM »
I like this one, too.  Great harmonies, and that wacky cadenza at the end for no particular reason is fun.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2484 on: May 30, 2014, 08:49:27 AM »
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Helluva good tune, but I have to admit to being surprised by how popular it is.  I guess, to me, so many Sabbath songs are better, especially from the album of the same name, yet every year when KSHE did their Rock and Roll 500 back when I listened, this was always top 20, and almost always Sabbath's highest ranking song.  All of that aside, like I said before, it's a helluva good tune. :metal :metal