Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 161433 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day - Oldies Week!!
« Reply #2275 on: April 30, 2014, 12:08:45 PM »
Ah, okay. That doesn't really aggravate me when it's a band like this that I am not likely to feature again. When it's a band with many classic rock hits, it's like, "Shhhhhh, we'll get to that one eventually; discuss the one at hand!" :lol :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2276 on: April 30, 2014, 12:33:28 PM »
Orbert, thanks you screwed me up to!

My work here is done.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2277 on: April 30, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
What the hell, let's do another song today!

Bob Dylan - Like a Rolling Stone

The first time I ever heard this song was when he played it on one of David Letterman's NBC anniversary specials, I think in the late 80s.  I don't know if it was stoned or what, but Dylan was totally out of it, and his vocals sounded absolutely atrocious (even worse than I normally think they do! :lol).  Years later, I heard the original, which sounded better, and it made more sense to me then why it is considered such a classic.  Musically, it is pretty darn good, and while his voice wasn't that good back then either, it definitely works for that type of song. I am not a Dylan fan by any stretch of the imagination, but even I cannot deny the greatness of this song, even if my enjoyment of it isn't usually that high.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2278 on: April 30, 2014, 12:58:24 PM »
Yeah, I'm not a big Dylan fan at all, but I do recognize that he wrote some great songs, and this is one of them.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2279 on: April 30, 2014, 03:23:47 PM »
Catch up time - I'll keep it brief.

California Dreamin' - LOVE.  Their harmonies were just so top-notch, and not just on this one.

Brown-Eyed Girl - Not my favorite of Van's, but not bad.

Daydream Believer - Yeah... no.

Like a Rolling Stone - Another LOVE.  HOW DOES IT FEEL?! :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2280 on: April 30, 2014, 03:26:50 PM »
Daydream Believer  -- Catchy but I haven't reach for it in forever.

Like A Rolling Stone --  As a lyricist. Dylan is top notch but I cannot for the life of me listen to his music and that steams from his voice.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2281 on: April 30, 2014, 03:30:22 PM »
A long time ago I bought a Dylan CD based on 'Like a Rolling Stone' alone. I liked it that much. I hoped I would like the rest of the disc, but only liked one other song, long since forgotten. Great song.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2282 on: May 01, 2014, 08:51:16 AM »
The Contours - Do You Love Me

A pretty big hit in the early 60s, it became a huge hit again in the later 80s thanks to it being featured in Dirty Dancing, which is where I first heard it.  I thought it was pretty great when I first heard it, and while it's not a song I go back to that often, I still think it is pretty darn good.  Put this song on at a party or wedding reception and people will flock to the dance floor faster than you can say, "Do you like it like this?" :lol :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2283 on: May 01, 2014, 07:48:59 PM »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2284 on: May 01, 2014, 08:05:36 PM »
Ehhhh... there's better songs from that time period IMO.  I do remember how popular the song got again after Dirty Dancing though, because Dirty Dancing WAS pretty huge.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2285 on: May 02, 2014, 09:51:27 AM »
Grass Roots - Midnight Confessions

This is another one of those "I know this song without ever really paying attention to it" songs.  I never knew about the band or the name of the song until it was featured in the movie Jackie Brown in the late 90s.  It's a catchy enough song, but I can't imagine ever going out of my way to listen to it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2286 on: May 02, 2014, 10:01:30 AM »
Catchy and upbeat, and I love the horn parts.  Because I'm very, very old, I saw them play this song live; it was cool.

60's and 70's bands with horn sections. :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2287 on: May 03, 2014, 08:58:21 AM »
The Turtles - Happy Together

I am pretty sure this is one of those songs I heard a lot when I was really young, meaning it was a favorite of my parents, so they played it a lot, and thus I heard it a lot.  Cause by the time I was old enough to know better, it felt like a song I already knew really well.  It's a good song; lots of nice vocal melodies.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2288 on: May 03, 2014, 03:45:43 PM »
TBH, not a large fan.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2289 on: May 03, 2014, 05:19:02 PM »
The Turtles had absolutely amazing voices.  I know this from years of listening to The Mothers after Eddie and Mark had left The Turtles (or they broke up, I don't know) and joined The Mothers.  Even though they actually sing "Happy Together" on the live album Fillmore East - June 1971, I didn't realize it was actually them until years later.

Anyway, I like the song well enough, and I can't hear the original version without thinking of the live version with The Mothers.  It's a vapid, happy fun song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2290 on: May 04, 2014, 09:45:55 AM »
The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black

While I like quite a few Rolling Stones songs, there are very few I like enough to say I love them; this is one of them.  I've always thought this song was pretty awesome, mainly because I love the sinister nature of the melody.  And while Charlie Watts is not someone I'd call a great drummer, the drum fills around the 1:36 mark or so, are ones that are impossible not to air drum.  Whether and oldie or a classic rock song, this song is a major winner. :hefdaddy

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #2291 on: May 04, 2014, 02:30:31 PM »
definitely.  that ethnic beat they have going...  I don't know the combination of instruments used, but it is killer.  this is maybe one of the 3 songs that actually make me respect The Stones.  (You Can't Always Get What You Want, and Gimme Shelter are the two others that come to mind.)  when I hear that opening sitar(?) I always know to turn the radio way up.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2292 on: May 04, 2014, 02:32:48 PM »
I really dislike the Stones.

But I enjoy this song. And I hate myself for it. lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2293 on: May 04, 2014, 03:09:20 PM »
Great song, though not one I would go out of my way to listen to, having burned myself out on the Stones long ago.

Also, creepily brilliant way to end Full Metal Jacket.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2294 on: May 05, 2014, 02:33:10 AM »
Not a fan of the Stones whatsoever, but this song has to be one of the most covered tunes in rock history.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2295 on: May 05, 2014, 02:34:23 AM »
Great song by this great band. Can't say enough good about it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2296 on: May 05, 2014, 06:46:44 AM »
I've been slacking, but I like pretty much all the songs that have been featured so far, although I don't listen to Midnight Confessions a whole lot

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2297 on: May 05, 2014, 07:01:26 AM »
Wasn't this the theme of China Beach?  Never watched the show, but it was one of the first (iirc) to use an actual song for their opener.  Plus, Dana Delany was hot back then.

Excellent track.  One of my more favored Stones tunes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2298 on: May 05, 2014, 07:10:23 AM »
Wasn't this the theme of China Beach?
It was a Diana Ross and the Supremes song. So...not even close. :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2299 on: May 05, 2014, 09:09:08 AM »
Wasn't this the theme of China Beach?
It was a Diana Ross and the Supremes song. So...not even close. :lol

I mis-remembered which Vietnam war era TV show it was.... Tour of Duty
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2300 on: May 05, 2014, 09:42:39 AM »
Yeah, but Dana Delany was indeed hot, so there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #2301 on: May 05, 2014, 10:11:34 AM »
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower

This is often considered THE definitive version of this song, originally written and done by Bob Dylan, and it isn't hard to see why; it's pretty darn good.  And it came out right after Hendrix had exploded into the public's consciousness, so it was just right time as well.  I am more of a fan of the live versions that Dave Matthew Band do, but Hendrix's cover is undeniably special.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2302 on: May 05, 2014, 10:12:56 AM »
One of my favorite Hendrix tunes.  Yeah, I still think of it as a Hendrix tune, and probably always will, since I didn't find out that it was really a Dylan tune until I'd been listening to it for like 20 years.  Great song, and great version.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2303 on: May 05, 2014, 10:26:54 AM »
Paint It Black (or Paint It, Black) is one of the few Stones songs I really like.

All Along the Watchtower is at the top of the many Hendrix tunes I really love!

I'm feeling really verbose today.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2304 on: May 05, 2014, 12:30:22 PM »
Honestly, I have zero memory of Dylan's original of this song.  I know I've heard it a few times. but I cannot remember a second of it.  That is probably a good thing. :lol :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2305 on: May 05, 2014, 01:06:05 PM »
It is.

I remember the first time I heard it, to me it was basically some hack slopping his way through Jimi's masterpiece.  Strumming a guitar and singing badly, off-key, with no rhythm.  Why would you do an acoustic cover and do it badly, then release it?  I listened to the whole thing just to see if the DJ said who it was, and he said it was Bob Dylan doing the original version of the song made famous by Jimi... and I just turned my radio off.

Then for some stupid reason, I felt the need to share this with a friend of mine who's a huge Dylan fan.  As I'm telling the story, he just looks at me and says "Oh no, you didn't... you didn't!"  But I did.  And I liked it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2306 on: May 05, 2014, 01:08:16 PM »
 :rollin :rollin

I think you just won this thread. :hat

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2307 on: May 05, 2014, 02:11:50 PM »
It is.

I remember the first time I heard it, to me it was basically some hack slopping his way through Jimi's masterpiece.  Strumming a guitar and singing badly, off-key, with no rhythm.  Why would you do an acoustic cover and do it badly, then release it?  I listened to the whole thing just to see if the DJ said who it was, and he said it was Bob Dylan doing the original version of the song made famous by Jimi... and I just turned my radio off.

Then for some stupid reason, I felt the need to share this with a friend of mine who's a huge Dylan fan.  As I'm telling the story, he just looks at me and says "Oh no, you didn't... you didn't!"  But I did.  And I liked it.

That just reminded me of Transatlantic's cover of Indiscipline, where Mike Portnoy says "And I LIKED it." in this really awesome voice.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2308 on: May 05, 2014, 02:17:13 PM »
All Around The Watchtower is great, but I remember when the movie Watchmen came out and it was used in the movie-since the "two riders were approaching" line was a visual refrain in one issue of the original comic-and some comic nerds went fucking ballistic because the comic attributed the song to Bob Dylan so "why'd they use Hendrix, man?"

I asked them "How many of you have heard Dylan's version?"

Could have heard a pin drop on that forum,  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2309 on: May 06, 2014, 09:06:13 AM »
The Doobie Brothers - China Grove

As always, I love me some classic Doobies, and this is another great tune, and a really fun one as well.  Nothing overly tricky about this song; it's just a straight-ahead rock tune with a catchy main riff and great, memorable vocal melodies.