Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 161353 times)

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #1750 on: September 12, 2013, 08:51:03 AM »
fantastic song, my favorite from April Wine.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1751 on: September 12, 2013, 09:42:11 AM »
Probably the first April Wine song I ever knew.  Top notch still today, but there's probably a couple of others I like better.  April Wine is like Canada's version of ... I dunno, Bad Company?  Middle-to-upper tier rock band.  Definitely not A-list though.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1752 on: September 12, 2013, 02:59:33 PM »
Sign of the Gypsy Queen is my favorite April Wine song, and my lingering memory of it is not the exceptional studio version, but rather the live version that ran on MTV in the early days from a concert performance that ended with an extended triple lead guitar coda, the 70s extended jamming fighting for its life at the start of the video music age. Young Jaq's mom hated it because three guitars soloing at once sounded like noise to her. And boy did I hear about it.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1753 on: September 12, 2013, 06:08:24 PM »
I never understood John's fascination with Yoko, but he claims she saved his life, so maybe he would have tried to commit suicide early in life. That boy had some demons

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1754 on: September 15, 2013, 08:48:24 AM »
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb

Kind of a "this song is so awesome in every way, that it kind of goes without saying, so what more can we say about it?" featured song, but a classic this big has to be featured at some point, right?  I will say that as awesome and iconic as David Gilmour's solo at the end of the song is, I love the first solo so much, too, that when I first got wind of how iconic the solo in this song was considered to be, I wondered for a while if people were talking about the first or second solo.  That is how much I love the first solo, too.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1755 on: September 15, 2013, 08:51:28 AM »
This is how I love my solo's.  With passion and emotion.  Alex Lifeson does that as well (Mission, Emotion Detector).  It's as amost the guitar is telling or singing the story of the song to me and  Comfortably Numb does all that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1756 on: September 15, 2013, 10:49:14 AM »
Probably my favourite song. Ever.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1757 on: September 15, 2013, 11:21:22 AM »
It's Comfortably Numb. What else needs to be said?

Actually, this. I knew a guitar player in high school who was trying to write a song with a similar sort of massive ending solo, working out each section for ages, trying to build it just like Gilmour did. I was amused years later to read an interview with Gilmour where he said he basically banged out a bunch of solos and stuck the best bits together to make the end solo.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1758 on: September 15, 2013, 02:02:53 PM »
To me, the great thing about the two solos in this song is that the first one is played over the D major progression ("There is no pain, you are receding...") and the second one is played over the B minor (the verse) but both flow seamlessly from the song itself.  So seamlessly that you might not even realize what he's done.  And both solos, of course, are awesome.  The first one is the melodic, "pretty" solo, the second is the "evil" sounding one.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1759 on: September 15, 2013, 08:25:53 PM »
I have three versions on my iPod: the studio, Delicate Sound version, and from Pulse. The Pulse version, IMO is the definitive version of this song

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1760 on: September 16, 2013, 01:37:47 AM »
Even though I love Pink Floyd, this song doesn't do much for me  :(. I don't really like the chorus. Of course the soloing is great, but it's David Gilmour, what did you expect?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1761 on: September 16, 2013, 01:39:33 AM »
Amazing song, 'nuff said :hefdaddy

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1762 on: September 16, 2013, 08:51:50 AM »
This is the art of song writing at it's finest, or so it seems to me. The music perfectly fits the intended mood. As wonderful as the solos are the lyrics are just as iconic. It's...it's...well, Comfortably Numb. What else is there to say?  :)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1763 on: September 17, 2013, 07:26:15 AM »
There's a reason modern day guitarists often reference this guitar performance.  Easily a top 5 or top 3 solo of all time - likely the best.  I'd have to think about what else I'd put up there, but when people ask/think "best classic rock solo", this will invariably come to mind quickly.

King... can't believe you didn't mention The Garden as emotion-fuelled solo.  Alex's best ever IMO.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1764 on: September 17, 2013, 07:58:21 AM »
It is but the others are that much better.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1765 on: September 17, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
Joe Walsh - All Night Long

His songs were always hit or miss for me, but I liked this one quite a bit.  It didn't seem to get played as much as a few of his other more well-known classics, but I never not listened to it when it came on.  Good tune!

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1766 on: September 17, 2013, 08:29:43 AM »
Christ I haven't heard this song in YEARS. Joe Walsh has been reduced to Life's Been Good and Rocky Mountain Way on local classic rock radio. Hit and miss describes Joe Walsh to a T-he made some undeniable classics but also some sheer dreck, especially in the 80s.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1767 on: September 17, 2013, 11:14:43 AM »
Yep, the classic rock stations seem to have forgotten about this one.  But it's a classic all right.  Good song.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1768 on: September 17, 2013, 08:30:11 PM »
JOE WALSH FOR PRESIDENT

But seriously, great song.  Joe's always been my favorite Eagle, and he's a damn fine musician.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1769 on: September 18, 2013, 05:28:07 AM »
Joe's always been my favorite Eagle, and he's a damn fine musician.

Yes, but does Steve Miller want to fly like him?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1770 on: September 18, 2013, 10:31:45 AM »
:lol

The Toys - A Lover's Concerto

Another song that might be more of an oldie than a classic rock tune, and might even be more pop than rock, but whatever; still a good addition to the thread, I think.  Nice little song, with a very infectious vocal melody.  Definitely a classic, regardless of the genre.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1771 on: September 18, 2013, 03:15:38 PM »
You tube to see if it's a local classic or not... :lol

Oh, THAT song. Totally had forgotten it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1772 on: September 18, 2013, 03:55:56 PM »
The Toys didn't ring any bells, so I kinda skipped this one, but then I recognized the name of the song.  I didn't realize it was so old.  I do remember it, though, because I too am so old.  Basically Mozart's "Minuet in G" with words, hence the title and its association with classical music.  Not a bad song, I guess.  Amadeus should've gotten co-writing credit, though.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1773 on: September 18, 2013, 04:17:41 PM »
If I didn't youtube this I would never remember this song.  I always heard this song on my parents oldie's station driving around.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1774 on: September 18, 2013, 10:09:07 PM »
The Toys didn't ring any bells, so I kinda skipped this one, but then I recognized the name of the song.  I didn't realize it was so old.  I do remember it, though, because I too am so old.  Basically Mozart's "Minuet in G" with words, hence the title and its association with classical music.  Not a bad song, I guess.  Amadeus should've gotten co-writing credit, though.

You mean Bach.  I know that because of this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=u7TqqxbyzD8#t=543

:biggrin:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1775 on: September 18, 2013, 10:45:35 PM »
Crap.  I should've known that.

To be fair, though, it does sound more like Mozart than Bach.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1776 on: September 19, 2013, 08:06:42 AM »
I have never delved into classical music as much as I always wanted to, so I'll take your word for it.

Jimi Hendrix - Foxey Lady

Like I have said before, I have never been much of a Hendrix fan, but most of his well-known songs are enjoyable enough, like this one.  It's a good song, but it is not one I ever seek out. 

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1777 on: September 19, 2013, 08:27:31 AM »
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1778 on: September 19, 2013, 09:49:48 AM »
I'm not crazy about Hendrix, but he was pretty cool and had some great songs.  I like this one.

I think my favorite part is during the breakdown, when he says "Here I come, baby.  I'm comin' to get'cha!"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1779 on: September 20, 2013, 09:03:59 AM »
Electric Light Orchestra - Livin' Thing

Another one of those good classics by ELO.  I remember getting a best of by them on CD at one point, hearing this, and thinking, "Oh yeah, I know this song."  Enjoyable tune, one that I now cannot hear without thinking of the end of Boogie Nights.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1780 on: September 20, 2013, 09:28:36 AM »
ELO was always one of those groups that I felt like I should like because on paper the concept of their group is brilliant. The reality is I could never mesh with their vocals and writing style. I still don't. If this song appeared on my classic rock radio I would change the station.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1781 on: September 20, 2013, 09:55:11 AM »
I like ELO a lot, but only in small does.  Which is probably weird, but that's how I roll.  I like this song.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1782 on: September 20, 2013, 11:34:09 AM »
It's alright

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1783 on: September 20, 2013, 04:17:49 PM »
Joe's always been my favorite Eagle, and he's a damn fine musician.

Yes, but does Steve Miller want to fly like him?

::)

Electric Light Orchestra - Livin' Thing

This was the one that really broke them.  This and Evil Woman.  LOVE me some ELO. :heart

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1784 on: September 21, 2013, 08:46:45 AM »
The Outlaws - Green Grass and High Tides

I like this song, but I have to admit that I never went bananas over it.  It seemed like this was the one song by this band that everyone thought was totally awesome, but maybe it's because I thought Ghost Riders in the Sky was better, as to why I never developed a major love for this one.