Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 160743 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #1330 on: June 25, 2013, 12:50:11 PM »
Blues Image - Ride Captain Ride

Pretty good song.  Very much of a classic rock mainstay, probably because that hook in the chorus is very memorable.  The rest of the song is rather average, but that hook is very good.  Similar to Get Together in that regard.

Oh man, this one takes me back...

In 1972, I was 10 years old, and got a portable cassette recorder for Christmas.  I spent hours recording stupid shit on it, playing it back, and laughing.  Recorded my dad snoring, my mom yelling, the dog barking, whatever.  My mom came home from shopping one day, and she'd bought me a mix tape from K-Tel or someone like that.  "The Super Hits, Volume 5".  I clearly remember that "Ohio" by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young was the first song.  Electric guitar hook... I was in heaven.  My own rock and roll!  I could skip songs, I could play songs I liked over and over, I had tunes!  This actually predated the portable record player or any other tunes I owned.

Anyway, I got to know every song on the tape very well , and "Ride Captain Ride" was on this tape.  It was one of my favorites, but I cannot possibly evaluate the song objectively because of the sentimental value of every song on "The Super Hits, Volume 5".

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1331 on: June 25, 2013, 10:32:06 PM »
That's awesome.  Nostalgia is a wonderful thing. :hat

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1332 on: June 25, 2013, 10:34:16 PM »
Whoops... done missed a bit here... :blush

Amboy Dukes - Journey to the Center of the Mind
From what I remember, trippy song is trippy.

Journey - Feeling That Way & Anytime
Top notch - cannot argue at all with this combo.  I've always loved the melding of Gregg Rolie's and Steve Perry's voices on both.

REO Speedwagon - Roll with the Changes
This was played a lot in Houston, but it's still a really good rockin' tune.

The Hollies - Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress
Decent song, but one I never actively sought out to listen to on a regular basis.

Triumph - Magic Power
This one and Fight The Good Fight are my favorites.  GREAT songs.

Dan Fogelberg - Phoenix
Dan Fogerburp!!! :rollin   Anyhoo... no thanks.  Was never a fan.

James Gang - Walk Away
Just a cool COOL song. :hat

Dust - From a Dry Camel
Sorry - never heard of it.

Pat Travers - Boom Boom (Out Go the Lights)
Good song the first few times I heard it but now?  Meh...

ZZ Top - La Grange
Ah how how how how... :hat
You can't NOT dig The Little Ol' Band From Texas, I tell ya whut.  I think there's only been one time we heard this on the radio while we were in close proximity to La Grange, and it was when my brother and I were headed from Austin to Houston down Highway 71 East.

Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky
Eh.  Okay, but there's something about this one I just can't put my finger on.  OH!  I know... it's too repetitive.

Jethro Tull - Teacher
I still dig the hell out of this, and I couldn't care less who knows it. :biggrin:

Blues Image - Ride Captain Ride
Not bad.

Whew.  That's what I get for gettin behind. :blush

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1333 on: June 26, 2013, 08:17:16 AM »
Wow, you really were way behind on checking this thread. :rollin :rollin

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1334 on: June 26, 2013, 10:14:44 AM »
Current song: another regional hit? Let's check!

Hmm, vaguely remember it. I can tell you it doesn't get played here anymore, that's for sure.  :lol Pretty typical old school rock song...might be one of those songs I think Bachman Turner Overdrive did. For some reason (except for songs they actually DID), they're my default "old rock song-must be BTO" band. Even when the song doesn't SOUND like BTO. Go figure.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1335 on: June 26, 2013, 07:38:29 PM »
Wow, you really were way behind on checking this thread. :rollin :rollin

13 songs is quite a bit to catch up on. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1336 on: June 27, 2013, 09:18:45 AM »
Stephen Stills - Love the One You're With

Very much in the vein of the early CSN/Y stuff, this is a very enjoyable classic rock tune.  The harmonies make it very easy to sing along to. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1337 on: June 27, 2013, 11:33:47 AM »
Great song.  I've always liked it.  And I've never understood the words to the chorus, at least that first line.

And there's a rose in a fisted glove
And the eagle flies with the dove
And if you can't be with the one you love, honey
Love the one you're with

That first line bugs me, but this is the closest I can get with anything that makes any sense.  Yes, I could Google the lyrics.  At that point I'd be taking my chances with somebody else who I have no reason to trust any more than myself.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1338 on: June 27, 2013, 11:47:27 AM »
Great song

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1339 on: June 27, 2013, 11:53:31 AM »
I've never given the lyrics any thought, but off of the top of my head, my interpretation of the "And there's a rose in a fisted glove" line is that it means, since you are not with the one you really love, having a glove over your first when giving a rose to the "one you're with" is sort of like protection.  Like, you are getting this from me, but my heart is not really in it, hence the glove being that barrier.  That is the best I can come with, without thinking about it too much.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1340 on: June 27, 2013, 12:05:17 PM »
It's a good song and all, just never liked the whole free love vibe in the lyrics.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1341 on: June 27, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
Yeah, the message always seemed wrong to me.  But I think it's a great song.  It has a positive vibe and always puts me in a good mood.  I just pretend they're singing about something more good natured.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1342 on: June 27, 2013, 01:16:42 PM »
Kev,

Yeah, that's about all I can come up with, too, as far as the meaning.  My real question was whether or not I even have the lyrics correct in the first place.

The "free love" vibe was a lot more popular in the 60's and early 70's than it is now.  At the time, I didn't think there was anything wrong with it.  Of course, I was only eight years old then.  Today it would be seen as not merely immoral, but irresponsible.  But you have to remember that AIDS wasn't around back then, and there was VD, but it was relatively rare, and all but the worst kinds could be solved with a simple visit to the clinic.  Condoms were always an option if you were worried about diseases, but basically active females were on the pill, and active males and females alike had a lot of sex.  It was actually a pretty awesome time.  I caught the very end of it in the late 70's before AIDS broke out and ruined casual sex forever.

I think it was Judy Collins who was Stephen Stills' girlfriend for a while, and she ultimately broke up with him because she said that Stephen did embrace the "love the one you're with" attitude, and she just wasn't into that.  It's not like monogamy was an alien concept; it just wasn't as big then as it is today, for various reasons.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1343 on: June 27, 2013, 01:47:03 PM »

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1344 on: June 27, 2013, 01:57:20 PM »
Never much liked this song, but I liked how it popped up almost randomly in the movie Prometheus.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1345 on: June 27, 2013, 04:17:06 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08GFjxnDX_A

Ha ha, that's pretty much what it was like.  Creed was there; he would know.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1346 on: June 27, 2013, 08:08:57 PM »
*clip*
The "free love" vibe was a lot more popular in the 60's and early 70's than it is now.
*clip*

Of course.  I was born in 1970, so I think that's why my mindset about it is different - especially being a teenager in the 80s.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1347 on: June 28, 2013, 07:34:24 AM »
Brownsville Station - Martian Boogie

A couple of friends I knew a long time ago were nuts about this song, as it was one of those songs that apparently was played on the radio a lot back in the day and then got the occasional airplay on classic rock stations much later on.  I enjoyed the song for its humor the first few times around, but the novelty wore off of me pretty quickly, and listening to it now, it's okay, but I can't see going out of my way to hear it ever again.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1348 on: June 28, 2013, 08:30:27 AM »
Ordinarily I'd make the obvious comment of "they did a song other than Smokin In The Boys Room", but I remember that Martian Boogie used to get played on Doctor Demento's show every now and then. Now THERE'S a nostalgia bomb for me!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1349 on: June 28, 2013, 11:08:06 AM »
Ha ha, I remember "Martian Boogie" but did not remember that it was Brownsville Station.  So I guess they did do something other than "Smokin' in the Boys' Room".

Fun song, but yeah, it's a novelty song, and once the novelty wears off it's not quite as much fun.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1350 on: June 29, 2013, 11:17:06 AM »
The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again

The first time I heard this song was the first year I listened to KSHE's Rock and Roll 500 (that they do every Memorial Day weekend), maybe 1990 or 1991, and it was number 1.  I remember hearing and thinking, "What is the name of this damn song?" They didn't bother to say the name of it before or after they played it, but I guess anyone with a clue knew the name of it. :lol However, still being somewhat of a green classic rock fan, I did not, so I had to ask a few friends and found out the name.  I liked the song quite a bit, but I never thought it was so awesome as to be in the conversation for best rock song ever, like a lot of people do.  And I still don't.  The song is pretty damn good, but depending on my mood, that pulsating keyboard that drives the song can be annoying at times, especially during the section near the end where it is front and center, ending with Daltrey's legendary, "A-yeeeeaaaaahhhhhhh!"

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1351 on: June 29, 2013, 11:28:10 AM »
Good song. I think of CSI: Miami every time I hear it, the YEEEAAAAHHH is probably more famous than the song itself
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1352 on: June 29, 2013, 01:40:32 PM »
All-time classic song right there.  A lot of different parts to it, it changes things around a little more than you'd think, and of course there's the killer keyboard part.  I finally worked up a synth patch that comes pretty close and we added it to our repetoire a few years back.  It's actually a pretty hard song to play.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1353 on: June 29, 2013, 02:53:03 PM »
My favorite song from them. An excellent rocker.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1354 on: June 29, 2013, 05:32:37 PM »
Classic song from my favorite Who album. Says it all, really.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1355 on: June 29, 2013, 09:49:01 PM »
 :facepalm: on some of the comments from the younglings.   :lol

Top 5 classic rock song of all time, for sure.  Best by the Who, off their best album.  The song is truly a classic rock epic.  The video has a really cool laser show (which was cutting edge in the day).  These guys know how to put on a live performance.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1356 on: June 30, 2013, 01:23:15 AM »
YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I actually don't like the song much at all, I much prefer the other CSI theme songs. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1357 on: June 30, 2013, 08:40:58 AM »
Trooper - Raise a Little Hell

I remember hearing this song and thinking, "Wow, this band really wanted to be Queen." The harmonies are very Queen-ish, and the lead singer even sounds a bit like Freddie Mercury, even if the way he enunciates certain words and phrases.  Queen similarities aside, this is a good rocking tune. :metal

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1358 on: June 30, 2013, 08:46:21 AM »
The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again

Luckily I have been able to avoid CSI, so that doesn't contaminate the song for me.

This is clearly in the top 10 of all time rock songs if not the top 5.  Its awesomeness cannot be overstated.  Single best song by The Who.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1359 on: June 30, 2013, 11:34:35 PM »
No one knows Trooper, eh? 

Anyway, starting tomorrow/later today, this will be classic rock epics week!  Yes, back in the 70s, rock songs that were kind of long were played on the radio, often times pretty frequently, and this week will feature some of them. :hat

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1360 on: July 01, 2013, 07:35:20 AM »
Sounds good! :tup

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1361 on: July 01, 2013, 08:00:01 AM »
Waiting for the inevitable Iron Butterfly post.  :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1362 on: July 01, 2013, 08:54:53 AM »
"Ina Garten-Devito baby. When I tell all the world that I love you!" https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=8335.msg1603036#msg1603036
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1363 on: July 01, 2013, 09:11:55 AM »
Well, I wasn't gonna do that one first, but what the hell? :lol

Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Honestly, I don't think I have ever listened to all of this song, but I know the main part of it well enough. :lol  My memory of this song is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oP41yzn9NI :hat

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1364 on: July 01, 2013, 11:41:20 AM »
Back on Trooper... great song.  Never really thought of them as Queen wannabe's.  Great little rock band, and they've got a number of cool tunes - this being their most popular.

In the Garden of Eden... never had much like for this song.  I find it boring to tell you the truth.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion