Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 160779 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #1050 on: May 09, 2013, 01:15:13 PM »
Styx - Come Sail Away

I remember when my friends Matt and Eric and I all got into Styx in 1990, we all thought Come Sail Away was the most awesome song ever (for like a week anyway :lol, as we were getting into Pink Floyd at around the same time).  One of our running jokes about this song for a while was how the one year KSHE-95 did their Rock and Roll 500, Come Sail Away was like number 374 (or something like that), and then Roxanne was 373, and our joke was, "Yeah, Roxanne is better than Come Sail Away." :lol :lol :lol :lol (they hated Roxanne as much I did)  Fast forward now, 23 years later, I still think the song is all kinds of awesome, even if I burned out on it long ago from hundreds of listenings.  And I gotta give a shout-out to the Cartman version from South Park. :tup :tup

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1051 on: May 09, 2013, 01:21:01 PM »
Great song.  Whenever I hear it, it takes me back to my first concert, The Grand Illusion.  Good times.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1052 on: May 09, 2013, 02:01:38 PM »
Thankfully, this too was my introduction to Styx in the mid 80s. If it had bee n Mr. robots, I'm not sure they would've got a second chance. The drum insanity is just awesome.  And when the whole band comes back in right after that keyboard note that gets held for 4 bars always raises the hair on the back of my neck.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1053 on: May 09, 2013, 02:02:50 PM »
My lasting memory of Come Sail Away comes from my childhood. My dad was never really big on rock and roll, period, let alone anything hard rock or heavy metal oriented. At the time Come Sail Away was a hit, I lived in West Virginia, and my grandparents lived in a small town about 50 miles from where I lived in Charleston. Back then, that was fairly long drive across back country roads. To keep (largely) my older sister quiet, Mom would convince Dad to turn on the radio, usually on AM channels, which meant that on the weekend-I think it was Sundays in that market-Casey Kasem's top 40 was usually on the air during long road trips.

Anyway, Come Sail Away comes on, somewhere in the 30s if memory serves, and my dad appears to be enjoying it. Quiet piano number, after all. Then, of course, the song kicks into gear, and my dad scowls at the radio and turns it off. "Why the hell did they ruin a perfectly good song like that?" he asked.  :lol Come Sail Away will always remind me of my dad's disdain for anything involving heavy guitars of any sort.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1054 on: May 09, 2013, 02:05:10 PM »
I still think those first two minutes has some of the best singing ever. Denis de Young's voice really shines here. It would be an absolutely flawless song, if not for that little synth break, but the song more than makes up for it when the band comes back in full force. Definitely a top 50 song for me

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1055 on: May 09, 2013, 04:05:57 PM »
I have to agree it's a flawless song hand has every element I love about STYX.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1056 on: May 09, 2013, 04:09:33 PM »
I have no problem with this song being overplayed to death, because it is that good.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1057 on: May 10, 2013, 02:16:09 AM »
Okay, so... I've been a fan since 1982, but I have to admit that a LOT of The Grand Illusion did not age well for me. :blush

I will agree that Dennis' vocals REALLY shine here. :heart

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1058 on: May 10, 2013, 08:54:59 AM »
Chilliwack - Fly at Night

This is another one of those bands who have that one awesome classic rock song that I know, but ask me to name another song of theirs, and I couldn't do it if my life depended on it. :lol  But this is one helluva tune.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1059 on: May 10, 2013, 08:58:41 AM »
Chilliwack - Fly at Night

This is another one of those bands who have that one awesome classic rock song that I know, but ask me to name another song of theirs, and I couldn't do it if my life depended on it. :lol  But this is one helluva tune.

My Girl (Gone Gone Gone).

After that, I got nothing.  Nice little tune from a Canadian band from ... wait for it ... Chilliwack, BC   :o  Hear this on the radio all the time, still to this day.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1060 on: May 10, 2013, 10:05:25 AM »
Here's a case of a band I know by the name, but couldn't name a song by...and probably do KNOW a song by them, just not that they did it.  :rollin
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1061 on: May 10, 2013, 03:30:43 PM »
Yeah, "My Girl (Gone Gone Gone)" is the only song I know by them.  I have no recollection of "Fly at Night".

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1062 on: May 10, 2013, 08:15:37 PM »
I hear Fly at Night all the time on the radio.  Never had any desire to look into Chilliwack any further.  However, whenever I hear My Girl gone gone gone, that song is locked in my head for hours.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1063 on: May 10, 2013, 10:31:55 PM »
Here's a case of a band I know by the name, but couldn't name a song by...and probably do KNOW a song by them, just not that they did it.  :rollin

Same here, bud. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1064 on: May 10, 2013, 11:31:06 PM »
Aerosmith - Dream On

For a long time, I stubbornly refused to admit that that was Steven Tyler singing the majority of this song; it just sounded so different than what I was used to be by him.  That aside, it is a really good song.  For some reason, my mom really hates this song, as she says the music in it creeps her out. 

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1065 on: May 10, 2013, 11:51:15 PM »
I see what you did there. ;)

Overplayed, but still a classic.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1066 on: May 11, 2013, 04:14:17 AM »
Aerosmith - Dream On

For a long time, I stubbornly refused to admit that that was Steven Tyler singing the majority of this song; it just sounded so different than what I was used to be by him. 

My wife says the same thing.  She says it's hard to believe that this is Aerosmith because it doesn't sound like Steven Tyler.  It always confuses me, because this was the first Aerosmith single, and it sounds exactly like Steven Tyler.

I guess it still sounds like the same voice to me because I was with them through all the changes.  We used to sit around listening to the first album, Get Your Wings, and Toys in the Attic. As Steven slowly destroyed his voice, it was so gradual that I never noticed.  He still just sounds like Steven Tyler to me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1067 on: May 11, 2013, 04:35:45 AM »
I think it was because he had that young voice.

Great tune but here in Boston they use that damn song for everything.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1068 on: May 11, 2013, 09:08:38 AM »
Aerosmith - Dream On

For a long time, I stubbornly refused to admit that that was Steven Tyler singing the majority of this song; it just sounded so different than what I was used to be by him. 

My wife says the same thing.  She says it's hard to believe that this is Aerosmith because it doesn't sound like Steven Tyler.  It always confuses me, because this was the first Aerosmith single, and it sounds exactly like Steven Tyler.

I guess it still sounds like the same voice to me because I was with them through all the changes.  We used to sit around listening to the first album, Get Your Wings, and Toys in the Attic. As Steven slowly destroyed his voice, it was so gradual that I never noticed.  He still just sounds like Steven Tyler to me.

I guess for those of you who knew Aerosmith from the start, sure, it just sounded like Steven Tyler, but I had never heard of Aerosmith until 1987, and I don't think I heard any of their 70s stuff till 1989 or so.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1069 on: May 11, 2013, 09:13:51 AM »
It's the best of the best from Aerosmith. Killer tune. Tyler's best performance IMO.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1070 on: May 11, 2013, 11:43:51 AM »
The Beatles - Come Together

It seems like the Beatles tend to get played on oldies stations way more than classic rock stations, but Come Together is a song that still gets played on the latter a lot, so here we are.  As much as I love the Beatles, and Abbey Road for that matter, Come Together has always been a song I merely liked; I've never thought it was that great or anything.  Good, solid song, but I think, for me, it just gets lost in the mix since they have so many other songs that are much better.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1071 on: May 11, 2013, 05:32:15 PM »
Love Dream On. Now, wasn't it released the same year Stairway came out, and if so, what came first?

I'm in agreement with Kev about Come Together. Stand alone wise, yeah, it's a good song, but as a Beatles song, I consider it middle tier. Maybe in top 25 tier

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1072 on: May 11, 2013, 10:12:22 PM »
The Beatles - Come Together

LOVE this song.  LOVE it. :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1073 on: May 12, 2013, 07:28:58 AM »
I like this one.  I like the darkness of it, and the fact that the lyrics don't make literal sense, but still conjure up some interesting imagery.  Once again, The Beatles confounded the masses by going off in unexpected directions, blazing a trail the whole way.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1074 on: May 12, 2013, 09:53:21 AM »
meh
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1075 on: May 12, 2013, 10:38:50 AM »
I really dig this Beatles song.  I love the different styles of music the Beatles tried and this is a great example of it.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1077 on: May 12, 2013, 06:05:15 PM »
I was gonna say how this isn't one of my favorite Beatles songs...and how I prefer the latter day McCartney songs to latter day Lennon songs...but I see Debra has a hammer, and is willing to use it.  :o

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1078 on: May 12, 2013, 06:16:32 PM »
Come Together is quite possibly the worst Beatles song they regularly play on the radio.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1079 on: May 12, 2013, 06:30:38 PM »
Come Together is quite possibly the worst Beatles song they regularly play on the radio.

The best being A Day in the Life?
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1080 on: May 13, 2013, 08:52:35 AM »
The Youngbloods - Get Together

I think this is one of those songs that is featured in movies and shows so much (I knew it from Forrest Gump and a Simpsons episode) that a lot of people probably know the chorus really well, but wouldn't know what song it was until it actually got to the chorus.  I know that when I first heard the song, I was like, "I don't know this song," and then it got to the chorus and I was like, "Oh yeah, this I know."  Pretty good song, and I get why it was so popular, given the lyrics and when it came out.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1081 on: May 13, 2013, 09:48:08 AM »
is this the "smile on your brother" song?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1082 on: May 13, 2013, 10:46:35 AM »
Yes. And it's true; all ANYONE knows is the chorus. If someone put a gun to my head and told me if I couldn't sing the rest of this song, I'd have to tell them to pull the trigger.  :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1083 on: May 13, 2013, 12:11:14 PM »
You guys suck.  The verses to this song are awesome, and I sing along to the whole song.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1084 on: May 13, 2013, 12:14:19 PM »
I was gonna say how this isn't one of my favorite Beatles songs...and how I prefer the latter day McCartney songs to latter day Lennon songs...but I see Debra has a hammer, and is willing to use it.  :o

Yep.  Case in point.. vvvv

Now.  To "Get Together".  GREAT song. :tup