Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 161309 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #1015 on: May 04, 2013, 02:39:56 PM »
Hate Mountain and when I saw them live backing up Triumph it made me hate them more.  Leslie and the drummer had a huge fight onstage to the point that the drummer was throwing drumsticks at Leslie and at the end of the show, Leslie took he guitar head and put it through the drummers bass drum.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1016 on: May 04, 2013, 03:24:06 PM »
Leslie West did have a bit of a reputation for being pretty much an asshole.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1017 on: May 04, 2013, 04:44:02 PM »
Mountain - Mississippi Queen

It's not a bad song, but I always found myself swinging the radio dial when it came on. :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1018 on: May 05, 2013, 02:58:34 AM »
I am a casual fan of this Mountain song, but actually liked it more after I heard it in the Expendables movie.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1019 on: May 05, 2013, 02:02:57 PM »
Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train

I got introduced to this song by the live version played on MTV from the Tribute album in the later 80s.  I suspect that, for many, this is another one of those "heard this a million times" songs, so it is easy to overlook at this point or view as overplayed/overrated, but it really is a pretty great song.  There is usually a reason songs get so overplayed. :lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1020 on: May 05, 2013, 02:15:53 PM »
I was a little too young to be able to properly appreciate Eddie Van Halen when he burst onto the scene, so Randy Rhoads for me was the first guitarist that I heard and made me think "holy fucking shit, this guy's not human." His playing was so unlike what anyone else was doing at the time, and hearing Crazy Train and I Don't Know for the first time were just endless moments of jaw dropping amazement. These days, Crazy Train is a little worn out and we're accustomed to it, but when it came out, it was so stunning and game changing. And to this day I wonder what kind of music Randy Rhoads would have made had he not died so young.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1021 on: May 05, 2013, 03:23:24 PM »
Say what you will but I honestly think I prefer the Zakkified version played when Zakk Wylde was with Oz
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1022 on: May 05, 2013, 04:35:50 PM »
I was a little too young to be able to properly appreciate Eddie Van Halen when he burst onto the scene, so Randy Rhoads for me was the first guitarist that I heard and made me think "holy fucking shit, this guy's not human." His playing was so unlike what anyone else was doing at the time, and hearing Crazy Train and I Don't Know for the first time were just endless moments of jaw dropping amazement. These days, Crazy Train is a little worn out and we're accustomed to it, but when it came out, it was so stunning and game changing. And to this day I wonder what kind of music Randy Rhoads would have made had he not died so young.

This, all of it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1023 on: May 05, 2013, 04:46:11 PM »
I hear it all the time on the radio but I seem to appreciate it more when I listen to Blizzard of Ozz in its entirety. Great song.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1024 on: May 05, 2013, 05:30:51 PM »
In a lot of ways, my intro to Ozzy. Such a great tune. I rarely skip this track if it appears on shuffle

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1025 on: May 05, 2013, 09:37:26 PM »
Great song from a great album. It had one of those typical Randy Rhoads solos that was so perfectly composed that you just don't fuck with it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1026 on: May 06, 2013, 05:50:15 AM »
In a lot of ways, my intro to Ozzy. Such a great tune. I rarely skip this track if it appears on shuffle

This too was my intro to solo Ozzy.  One of the most classic of metal songs.  Tons of radio time, but never got too much to become stale or overplayed.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1027 on: May 06, 2013, 05:51:39 AM »
Brilliant song, even better album, but overplayed.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1028 on: May 06, 2013, 08:41:04 AM »
combine Ozzy's voice and the horrid guitar tone, and I change the dial every time this comes on.  I can't stand it.  Too much thin buzz in the distortion, it makes me want to hit the stupid radio.  Guitar solo is pretty good, but it doesn't redeem the song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1029 on: May 06, 2013, 10:20:03 AM »
Stealers Wheel - Stuck in the Middle with You

Helluva good song, but I'd like to thank Quentin Tarantino for ruining this song for me, as I cannot hear it anymore without thinking of that scene from Reservoir Dogs.  If you've seen the movie, you know the one.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1030 on: May 06, 2013, 10:26:37 AM »

Helluva good song, but I'd like to thank Quentin Tarantino for ruining this song for me, as I cannot hear it anymore without thinking of that scene from Reservoir Dogs.  If you've seen the movie, you know the one.

Can anyone?  Doesn't bother me, as that's one of my favorite movies evar... and Michael Madsen is just so good. 

Great song... again, one of those excellent Tier-2 tunes from a Tier-3 band.  They were definitely punching above their weight class when they came out with this one.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1031 on: May 06, 2013, 10:31:04 AM »

I know what you mean, and I mostly agree.  But I've managed to mostly separate myself from the movie, since it's so over-the-top and "artsy" (as all Tarentino films are) that I can think of it as just a movie.  Tarentino's films have a high degree of gritty realism, and I love the characters he creates because some aspects of them are so realistic, but at the same time they're also extreme examples of whatever they represent and thus I can also see them as not realistic at all.  If that makes any sense.

Anyway,  I do like the song.  Gerry Rafferty has a cool voice.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1032 on: May 06, 2013, 11:20:29 AM »
awesome song. never get tired of it

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1033 on: May 06, 2013, 11:55:02 AM »

Doesn't bother me - still a great song.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1034 on: May 06, 2013, 12:07:59 PM »
Having never heard the song before Reservoir Dogs, it's ALWAYS going to be associated with that movie for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1035 on: May 07, 2013, 08:27:55 AM »
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Lookin' Out My Back Door

I've thought this song was awesome since the first time I heard it, which was a loooong time ago, and then when it was featured in what eventually became one of my favorites movies ever, The Big Lebowski, it just cemented its place as one of my all-time favorite songs.  Now, whenever I hear this song, I think of the Dude. :hat

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1036 on: May 07, 2013, 08:46:58 AM »
I remember Keep On Chooglin' (the 2-disc greatest hits of CCR) was one of my very very early CD purchases when I was about 15 or so. I listened to music before that of course, but it was mostly just the radio or my parents' stuff up until 1998 or 1999, when I got my first portable CD player and started getting CDs. This was one of the first things that was actually mine. I listened to my parents' cassettes too, including some CCR ones, so that 2-disc set was a natural choice, something for everyone. CCR have a load of great songs and this is definitely one of them. :hat

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1037 on: May 07, 2013, 08:59:12 AM »
CCR is awesome, that is all

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1038 on: May 07, 2013, 09:56:43 AM »
I agree CCR is pretty awesome.  This is not one of their better songs though.  Fortunate Son, that's another matter...  :hefdaddy

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1039 on: May 07, 2013, 11:05:42 AM »
Look at all the happy creatures dancing on the lawn!

I love that line.  Such a happy, fun song.  Is it a great song?  Nah.  But it's happy and fun.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1040 on: May 07, 2013, 12:30:03 PM »
Doo doo doo
Lookin' out my back door
 :hat

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1041 on: May 07, 2013, 01:03:01 PM »
My wife thought the CCR song "Theres a Bad Moon on the Rise" was "There's a Bathroom on the Right".

Good thing she has a great rack.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1042 on: May 08, 2013, 12:03:36 AM »
The Doors - Light My Fire

Very cool song, even if I think the instrumental section goes on too long.  That might sound odd coming from me, a lover of many super long songs, but that 4-minute plus instrumental section just kind of meanders along, but props to the band for being ballsy enough to attempt something like that in 1967.  And of course this is the song of the Ed Sullivan Show fame, where the band was ordered to not sing the line, "Girl, we couldn't get much higher," but Jim Morrison did it anyway.  That, my friends, is rock and roll. :metal :coolio :hat

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1043 on: May 08, 2013, 04:59:03 AM »
One of the rare songs where I prefer the edited version

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1044 on: May 08, 2013, 07:39:13 AM »
Nope, full-length version for me.  It's The Doors.  They meander.  In this case, though, it doesn't feel like meandering to me; it feels like a keyboard solo follow by a guitar solo, both of which take their time to develop as they should.

I'm not a huge Doors fan, but I'll never switch this one off.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1045 on: May 08, 2013, 08:25:33 AM »
The instrumental section is too long, but given the time that they did this at, it was a monumental step forward for music (as was The End to close out the debut album.) It could've stood to be edited a little, because it does the sort of meandering that makes a song feel longer and more boring than it actually is.  :lol Still an undeniable classic, though.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1046 on: May 08, 2013, 12:08:28 PM »
The Doors - Light My Fire

I personally couldn't care less if the keyboard solo meanders too much - it's the DOORS FFS. :coolio

Always loved this one, btw, even though it's not my absolute favorite Doors song of all time (which I will save, as it hasn't been mentioned yet).

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1047 on: May 08, 2013, 12:23:43 PM »
Always recognized it as a classic, and it deserves it's place in musical history.

I'm just not a big fan of it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1048 on: May 08, 2013, 11:48:02 PM »

Always loved this one, btw, even though it's not my absolute favorite Doors song of all time (which I will save, as it hasn't been mentioned yet).

PM me what song that is, and maybe that will be my next Doors featured tune. :)  Assuming it isn't something like When the Music's Over. :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1049 on: May 09, 2013, 02:30:37 AM »
Incoming! ;)