Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 160760 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #595 on: March 20, 2013, 12:33:28 PM »
Foreigner - Juke Box Hero

I had a few friends growing up that absolutely loved this song, and I think a large part of it was because of the song title, as jukeboxes were big back then, and a song called Juke Box Hero was too good to pass up, I guess.  Me, I like the song, it is enjoyable enough, but it is not really one I'd ever call a favorite.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #596 on: March 20, 2013, 12:34:43 PM »
I'd have to agree - good enough song, but I wouldn't call it a favorite either.  I reserve that for their first album.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #597 on: March 20, 2013, 02:37:24 PM »
My favorite Foreigner song. A great tune to sing along to, albeit badly  :lol

So Kev, I'm curious, any plans to ever do a 90's Song of the Day?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #598 on: March 20, 2013, 02:47:29 PM »

So Kev, I'm curious, any plans to ever do a 90's Song of the Day?

No chance.  I didn't like enough mainstream music in the 90s to be able to do that decade justice.  But if anyone else wants to take a stab at it, have at it. :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #599 on: March 20, 2013, 03:37:37 PM »
Foreigner - Juke Box Hero

I had a few friends growing up that absolutely loved this song, and I think a large part of it was because of the song title, as jukeboxes were big back then, and a song called Juke Box Hero was too good to pass up, I guess.  Me, I like the song, it is enjoyable enough, but it is not really one I'd ever call a favorite.

A straight forward rocker to get the blood pumping.  Not in my top 20 for Foreigner songs but a good tune live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #600 on: March 20, 2013, 05:22:08 PM »
Back in the day, there were two competing FM rock stations in my area. Keep in mind, this wasn't the time when stations like this were called classic rock, because, well, classic rock as we know it now was the present and near past. So the two stations tended to be very competitive, and one way they tried to keep people involved was call in polls for songs, and every night the stations would play their respective top tens for the day.

The less successful of the two stations was the pioneer of this, and on their nightly countdowns, only two songs held the top spot longer than Juke Box Hero. One was I Love It Loud by Kiss, and the other, inexplicably, was Flamethrower by the J. Geils Band.  :lol

Another memory I have of this song was the review of Foreigner's 4 in the local morning paper (ahh, there's a memory. Time was there were both morning and evening papers. Then they merged and became one) where the reviewer called it the best yet strangest rock song since Rush's Tom Sawyer. Having UTTERLY dated myself now, I'll just say Juke Box Hero is a pretty interesting rocker by Foreigner, that does go through a sizable number of moods and tempo changes. Cool tune.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #601 on: March 20, 2013, 11:28:24 PM »
An ok song, although the chorus annoys me for some reason. If it weren't for that, I'd probably like it more, but still not a favourite.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #602 on: March 20, 2013, 11:32:01 PM »
Back in the day, there were two competing FM rock stations in my area. Keep in mind, this wasn't the time when stations like this were called classic rock, because, well, classic rock as we know it now was the present and near past. So the two stations tended to be very competitive, and one way they tried to keep people involved was call in polls for songs, and every night the stations would play their respective top tens for the day.

The less successful of the two stations was the pioneer of this, and on their nightly countdowns, only two songs held the top spot longer than Juke Box Hero. One was I Love It Loud by Kiss, and the other, inexplicably, was Flamethrower by the J. Geils Band.  :lol

Another memory I have of this song was the review of Foreigner's 4 in the local morning paper (ahh, there's a memory. Time was there were both morning and evening papers. Then they merged and became one) where the reviewer called it the best yet strangest rock song since Rush's Tom Sawyer. Having UTTERLY dated myself now, I'll just say Juke Box Hero is a pretty interesting rocker by Foreigner, that does go through a sizable number of moods and tempo changes. Cool tune.

LOL indeed.  :rollin :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #603 on: March 20, 2013, 11:37:43 PM »
Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing

I was never much of a fan of this band, but this is a smokin' tune.  Great guitar work by Mark Knopfler, and this is always a song that could result in you getting a speeding ticket on the freeway. :hat

Offline masterthes

« Reply #604 on: March 21, 2013, 02:46:41 AM »
It's all about that ending solo. There's this band that plays at this local bar I go to a lot and this is one of their highlights. The guy kills the solo and even extends it to a couple of measures

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #605 on: March 21, 2013, 03:16:32 AM »
God I love this song. It has a lot of sentimental values for me, growing up on Dire Straits thanks to my dad. When he passed away, the song got a new meaning for me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: March 21, 2013, 03:24:55 AM »
Dont know alot about this band, but Kev is right, this is a smokin tune.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #607 on: March 21, 2013, 07:29:19 AM »
I have pretty much everything from early Dire Straits, and this song is actually something of an anomoly for them.  They had a couple of uptempo songs like this (which are all awesome), but most Dire Straits songs are kinda slow and moody.  Very introspective.

Anyway yeah, this one rocks, and it's all about the ending solo.  If they play it on the radio, they must allow it to play all the way out, until after the arpeggios, until the return to the three-chord hook, or I scream and turn off the radio in disgust, remembering why I hate radio.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #608 on: March 21, 2013, 09:35:22 AM »
Love Mark's playing....can remember an old interview where he was asked why he doesn't play faster..his reply was classic..."because I can't"
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: March 21, 2013, 09:36:41 AM »
I love Mark's playing style. I definitely prefer that slower style more than the fast shredding of other guitarists.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #610 on: March 21, 2013, 09:58:23 AM »
I love Dire Straits to pieces. They were a bit of an oddity for me because, even as I was at the height of my RAWR METAL phase, I loved them without any reservation. I remember MTV playing a Dire Straits concert from the same tour that produced Alchemy, their live album, and I was tired, so I dozed off during the end solo of Sultans of Swing. I woke up, feeling as if I had slept for hours, to see Mark Knopfler wailing away on the guitar. I had no idea what he was playing, but a little later the familiar guitar line of Sultans of Swing returned, and I realized they'd made the song even longer. I went out the next weekend and bought Alchemy to properly hear the over ten minute version of Sultans of Swing that I had dozed off for a couple of minutes in the middle of.

Goes without saying this song is a classic.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #611 on: March 21, 2013, 10:43:43 AM »
The Alchemy version of Sultans is probably my favourite version.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #612 on: March 21, 2013, 10:50:12 AM »
Classic song. Everything about it is just great.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #613 on: March 21, 2013, 11:06:53 AM »

Was one of them Z104?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #614 on: March 21, 2013, 11:42:26 AM »
Yeah, definitely a classic.  Reminds me of MTV back in the good ole days when they used to play music videos.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #615 on: March 21, 2013, 12:20:42 PM »

:heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

Offline Jaq

« Reply #616 on: March 21, 2013, 12:53:07 PM »

Was one of them Z104?

I was thinking of K94 and WNOR myself. By the time Z104 impinged itself on my consciousness it was a pop station playing speeded up versions of MTV hits to get more songs in per hour.

No, seriously, they did that for a while.  :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #617 on: March 21, 2013, 01:15:03 PM »
:rollin

Granted, I was in 3rd grade at the time, so I can't say I remember a hell of a lot about it.   :omg:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #618 on: March 21, 2013, 07:37:28 PM »

I was never much of a fan of this band, but this is a smokin' tune.  Great guitar work by Mark Knopfler, and this is always a song that could result in you getting a speeding ticket on the freeway. :hat

FUCKING AMAZING SONG!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #619 on: March 22, 2013, 08:53:07 AM »
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

I don't drop to my knees and genuflect to Springsteen on a daily basis (like 99% of rock critics do), but I do enjoy a number of his songs quite a bit, and this is one of them; damn good song.  And it is easily his most classic hit.  It is the Springsteen song from the 70s that everyone knows, whether they know it or not. 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #620 on: March 22, 2013, 08:57:51 AM »
Huge Springsteen fan here, and this is perhaps his best song ever (or tied with Jungleland).

I'm so glad I've actually seen this song live. Can't say enough superlatives about this :hefdaddy

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #621 on: March 22, 2013, 10:16:51 AM »
Huge Springsteen fan here, and this is perhaps his best song ever (or tied with Jungleland).

I'm so glad I've actually seen this song live. Can't say enough superlatives about this :hefdaddy

:iagree:

I wouldn't classify myself as 'huge fan', but love most of what the boss did (pre Born in the USA).  This whole album is top shelf material.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #622 on: March 22, 2013, 10:18:46 AM »
Not a fan if Springsteen, but this is one of his better songs.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #623 on: March 22, 2013, 11:22:14 AM »
This and Thunder Road are two of my favorite Bruce songs

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #624 on: March 22, 2013, 11:41:25 AM »
Sultans of Swing. :heart

Springsteen gets on my nerves. I think he's an untalented hack, honestly.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #625 on: March 23, 2013, 03:00:33 AM »
Not a fan if Springsteen, but this is one of his better songs.

Exactly.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #626 on: March 23, 2013, 05:05:17 AM »
One of Bruce's better songs.  I don't own anything but a greatest hits by him and I'm happy with just the GH.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #627 on: March 23, 2013, 10:05:59 AM »
Sammy Hagar - There's Only One Way to Rock

Definitely one of his biggest and well-known classic rock staples to date.  He has a lot of regional well-known songs, especially here in St. Louis, where he is worshipped as a rock god, but There's Only One Way to Rock is a Hagar song that rock fans everywhere know.  It was even featured on a VH tour or two, IIRC, when he was part of the band.  I like the song, and while I never go out of my way to listen to it, if it comes on, I enjoy the hell out of it.  Oh, and to address just how popular Hagar really is here in St. Louis, in KSHE-95's current March Bandness 64-band tournament https://www.kshe95.com/marchbandness/bracket/2013.aspx, Hagar as a solo artist is a number 1 seed (along with Rush, Zeppelin and AC/DC).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #628 on: March 23, 2013, 10:33:30 AM »
I loved this song after hearing it on the VH live album "Right Here, Right Now". Studio version rocks too. :metal
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #629 on: March 23, 2013, 10:43:20 AM »
Great song.  I love the upbeat Sammy stuff.