Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 161318 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #490 on: March 06, 2013, 02:47:21 PM »
Ya know, I noticed that the first time I heard it (I was already very familiar with Frankenstein by the time I heard Cheap Sunglasses), but stopped noticing it at some point, and had forgotten about it until reading that just now.  Strange.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #491 on: March 06, 2013, 03:23:17 PM »
To this day, whenever I'm buying cheap sunglasses, I hum the riff that comes after the title line.  :biggrin:
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #492 on: March 06, 2013, 04:12:27 PM »
Yep, me too.   :coolio

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #493 on: March 07, 2013, 08:39:37 AM »
Golden Earring - Radar Love

The greatness of certain songs kind of go without saying; this is one of those songs.  If you've ever listened to classic rock, it's a guarantee that you know this song, and it's probably also a near-guarantee that you've risked getting a speeding ticket while listening to it.  This is like the ultimate classic rock driving song.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #494 on: March 07, 2013, 08:43:05 AM »
Killer song and I wished I got to see it live.  Saw them on MTV in concert (remember those days?) and they were an energetic live band.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #495 on: March 07, 2013, 08:52:31 AM »
Great tune. I also enjoy White Lion's cover, although it's got nothing on the original.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #496 on: March 07, 2013, 08:53:19 AM »
So good. Twilight Zone is pretty kickass as well

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #497 on: March 07, 2013, 10:24:11 AM »
The Twilight Zone is better, but this one is still good.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #498 on: March 07, 2013, 10:57:15 AM »
Great song.  I love the vibe, and the slow buildup in the break.  You could never get away with that today.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #499 on: March 07, 2013, 12:25:58 PM »
Wow, I've never noticed that before, but I can hear it.  The hook riff right after he says "Cheap Sunglasses" is very similar to the main riff from "Frankenstein".

Eh... almost, but not quite.

Golden Earring - Radar Love

Much MUCH better song than Twilight Zone.  I also agree that it's a really good driving song. :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #500 on: March 07, 2013, 01:14:03 PM »
So good. Twilight Zone is pretty kickass as well

Only ever heard 3 GE songs- these two and The Devil Made Me Do It and loved all three.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #501 on: March 07, 2013, 01:30:36 PM »
Both Radar Love and Twilight Zone are classics. I don't know anything else from GE

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #502 on: March 07, 2013, 01:48:17 PM »
Wow, I've never noticed that before, but I can hear it.  The hook riff right after he says "Cheap Sunglasses" is very similar to the main riff from "Frankenstein".

Eh... almost, but not quite.

They're almost very similar, but not quite very similar?  Now you're really splitting hairs.  :P

The rhythm for the first two bars is exactly the same.  Same syncopation, same accents.  Only the chords are different.  The riffs diverge from there.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #503 on: March 07, 2013, 05:11:44 PM »
Friend of mine back in the day had a band that did a cover of Radar Love that turned the mid section of the song into a seemingly endless series of trade off guitar solos, with a LONG slow build up to the part where the drums go crazy. The one time I timed it, they stretched it out to nearly thirty minutes. They never went anywhere but man, they could jam on old classic rock songs.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #504 on: March 07, 2013, 05:44:34 PM »
Radar Love is awesome. Love that bassline.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #505 on: March 08, 2013, 08:51:40 AM »
Alice Cooper - School's Out

I've never been a fan of this guy at all. Sure, he has a few songs that I'll hear and think, "Yeah, that's pretty good," this song included, but none of it is something I can't turn off or has made me think, "Oh, I have to hear that song."  Classic example of an artist with a few songs I don't mind, but ultimately couldn't give two shits about.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #506 on: March 08, 2013, 11:07:52 AM »
I pretty much feel the same way.  He's a cool guy, and his stage show was quite groundbreaking for its time (and in some ways still is), but ultimately it comes down to the music, and yeah he's got some good songs, but none that I'd go out of my way to hear.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #507 on: March 08, 2013, 05:06:39 PM »
What good music Alice Cooper had, I kind of give Bob Ezrin credit for. Worth noting once he stopped working with Ezrin, his career went into a LONG downward spiral. Pretty groundbreaking live performances, but not really a lot of great songs.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #508 on: March 08, 2013, 06:14:16 PM »
They're almost very similar, but not quite very similar?  Now you're really splitting hairs.  :P

The rhythm for the first two bars is exactly the same.  Same syncopation, same accents.  Only the chords are different.  The riffs diverge from there.

Yeah, I know - I shoulda green-texted that. :P

You know, it really wouldn't surprise me if The Reverend Willie G (Billy Gibbons) lifted that from Edgar - it was proven he stole some stuff from John Lee Hooker for La Grange so... anything's possible.  Oh, and YES--of course they're similar.

Alice Cooper - School's Out

This one's always been a favorite of mine. :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #509 on: March 09, 2013, 10:56:40 AM »
Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Fun little song.  I enjoy it quite a bit, despite it sounding a bit country, especially in the way the fiddle is featured, but the vocal delivery gives that kind of storytelling feel that other classic rock staples of the 70s had, so that helps it out immensely.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #510 on: March 09, 2013, 11:09:16 AM »
"OMG HE SAID SON OF A BITCH!"

Generally the reaction people had to hearing the album version of this song.  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #511 on: March 09, 2013, 11:15:55 AM »
Do any of you remember that there was 2 versions of the song.  AM stations played "Son of a Gun" while those dirty, rebel FM stations played "Son of a Bitch"?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaq

« Reply #512 on: March 09, 2013, 12:16:06 PM »
Yeah, that was how you judged what sort of DJ you were listening to-it wasn't just AM/FM, because some local FM stations played the single version, which didn't have son of a bitch in it. If you got the swearing, you likely had a cool DJ.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #513 on: March 09, 2013, 03:39:45 PM »
I'm sure it wasn't up to the DJ a lot of times, but the program manager.  When the boss says which version to play, because the owners say to play that version, then you risk your job by doing otherwise.

I like the song anyway, but I make sure I stick around to see if they play the "son of a bitch" version or not.  Same with "Jet Airliner" by The Steve Miller Band ("funky shit goin' down in the city") and The Who's "Who Are You" ("who the fuck are you?")

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #514 on: March 10, 2013, 04:23:52 AM »
Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Dated, but still a damn good song.

Do any of you remember that there was 2 versions of the song.  AM stations played "Son of a Gun" while those dirty, rebel FM stations played "Son of a Bitch"?

Yep, remember that well.  The son-of-a-bitch line made more sense though, but this was obviously before bleeping out was happening.  But then again... AOR didn't bleep Nazareth's "Hair of the Dog" ("now you're messin' with a son of a bitch"), so...

Offline masterthes

« Reply #515 on: March 10, 2013, 09:17:41 AM »
next to Folsom Prison Blues, my favorite country song. Anybody ever hear the sequel with Johnny Cash? It's interesting. By the way, anybody ever think the devil's solo was much better than Johnny's?

Offline Jaq

« Reply #516 on: March 10, 2013, 10:55:05 AM »
next to Folsom Prison Blues, my favorite country song. Anybody ever hear the sequel with Johnny Cash? It's interesting. By the way, anybody ever think the devil's solo was much better than Johnny's?

Everyone does.  :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #517 on: March 10, 2013, 11:01:39 AM »
America - Sister Golden Hair

This is what I would call a perfect song; everything about it is absolutely wonderful. 

Fun fact, too: every time I hear it now, I think of The Sopranos, because of this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Fu39qrsuBRk#t=257s

Offline Jaq

« Reply #518 on: March 10, 2013, 11:04:29 AM »
LOL, I thought this was in the wrong thread when I saw it in the MTV thread.  :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #519 on: March 10, 2013, 01:53:54 PM »
 :facepalm: :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #520 on: March 10, 2013, 05:11:19 PM »
America - Sister Golden Hair

This is what I would call a perfect song; everything about it is absolutely wonderful. 

Wow, I do like the song, but I can't agree about it being perfect.  Dewey Bunnell wrote some really horrible lyrics.

"Sister Golden Hair surprise"?  Why "surprise"?  Because he needed two more syllables, and needed something to rhyme with "my eyes".

Other than that, good song.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:54:35 PM by Orbert »

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #521 on: March 10, 2013, 06:08:53 PM »
I never liked that song much. Some of their other hits are better, like A Horse With No Name and Ventura Highway.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #522 on: March 11, 2013, 04:29:18 AM »
It's alright, but like Pols said, they've done better

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #523 on: March 11, 2013, 10:27:09 AM »
Van Halen - Runnin' with the Devil

The first song from their first album is arguably their most classic rock song.  And what a classic it is! I can only imagine what it must have been like for rock fans when the first VH album came out, what with EVH's guitar playing blowing the minds of everyone, and the album kicking off with that blistering riff from this tune had to be an immediate ass-kicking. :metal

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #524 on: March 11, 2013, 10:29:43 AM »
Can't stand Van Halen. (sorry blob)

But Runnin' with the Devil is listenable.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"