Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 161367 times)

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #455 on: March 02, 2013, 05:43:45 PM »
Total Midwest hit.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #456 on: March 02, 2013, 06:53:08 PM »
Until Kev's post, I'd never heard of this band, or this song.

And after listening to it, I wish I could go back 5 minutes to that blissful time when I could say that was true.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #457 on: March 02, 2013, 08:21:13 PM »
Triumph - Fight the Good Fight

:heart :metal

Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Blinded by the Light

Much, MUCH better than Bruce's version.  Overplayed perhaps, but still a great song.

Shooting Star - Last Chance

Never heard this one, even after pulling up the YT link for it.  Not bad.

Don McLean - American Pie

Classic. :hat

Rush - Limelight

Overplayed, and not the best song from Moving Pictures.  Still pretty kick ass live, though.

Aliotta, Haynes and Jeremiah - Lake Shore Drive

Never heard of this one either.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #458 on: March 04, 2013, 07:06:19 AM »
Limelight is awesome, and probably tied with YYZ and Red Barchetta as my favorite from Moving Pictures. Seeing it live didn't hurt either :)
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #459 on: March 04, 2013, 08:19:34 AM »
Joe Walsh - Life's Been Good

This is one of those classics that a lot of people absolutely salivate over, while I merely like it.  There are moments I think are pretty badass, but I think its plodding nature combined with its length make it one of those songs I rarely feel like listening to. 

Offline masterthes

« Reply #460 on: March 04, 2013, 08:23:54 AM »
I like the song alright, until that break. I think I like Rocky Mountain Way a bit better

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #461 on: March 04, 2013, 08:26:46 AM »
Consider me one of the people who "salivate" over this song.  Everything about this song is fantastic, including the instrumental break.  Always a treat whenever this one comes on the radio.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #462 on: March 04, 2013, 08:48:19 AM »
One of Joe Walsh's best songs IMO.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #463 on: March 04, 2013, 08:48:32 AM »
anybody else catch the Eagles documentary that has been showing on Showtime?  Really cool look into the history of the band.

I never thought I would say this, but from the modern day interviews, I thought Joe Walsh looked that best out of all the former band members.  He has really cleaned himself up.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #464 on: March 04, 2013, 09:45:24 AM »
Life's Been Good is one of the rarest of things; the song where the single edit is actually better than the full length one. The mid section of the song is kind of overlong and plodding, removing it really tightens the song up.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #465 on: March 04, 2013, 10:51:19 AM »
anybody else catch the Eagles documentary that has been showing on Showtime?  Really cool look into the history of the band.

I never thought I would say this, but from the modern day interviews, I thought Joe Walsh looked that best out of all the former band members.  He has really cleaned himself up.

I have, the first half is fantastic (part1) 

I love this song so much.  The only other song I like more from Joe is The Confessor.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: March 04, 2013, 11:00:34 AM »

Watched part of it...need to finish watching the rest  .. love how the incorporated Walsh into the band..."hey Joe we are going to invite you out on stage each night and jam on one of your songs , you down? "
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #467 on: March 04, 2013, 12:05:28 PM »
Great song. It's unique and has amusing lyrics.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #468 on: March 04, 2013, 12:28:31 PM »
I love the song, and Joe has a great sense of humor.  He's always been my favorite Eagle.  Yeah, I know he wasn't an original member, but I didn't really start following Eagles until after he joined anyway.

"History of the Eagles" is pretty cool.  Damned long, but there's a lot of story to tell.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #469 on: March 04, 2013, 01:04:03 PM »
I have time today, so gonna keep the ball rolling here (but feel free to keep discussing the previous tunes, too)...

Peter Frampton - Do You Feel Like We Do

Can you imagine a 14-minute live song being such a huge hit nowadays?  No chance in hell.  And it just shows how different the musical climate and rock radio was back in the 70s.  To this day, I don't think I've ever heard the studio version of this song, as the live version was always the one that was played everywhere here, and it is one helluva song.  Granted, it is now a song that I rarely listen to, but on the rare occasions that I do, it still sounds pretty awesome.  This song is probably the most well-known and successful use of the talk box ever.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #470 on: March 04, 2013, 01:19:07 PM »
Actually, there was a single edit of Do You Feel Like We Do, though it was still in excess of 6 minutes long. I know this because my grandmother worked at-oh god, this is going to date the hell out of me-one of those old fashioned drug stores that came attached to a restaurant, and whenever the jukebox was cleaned out of 45s, she would grab a few and give them to my sister. One of them was Do You Feel Like We Do. Of course, it was the 14 minute long version everyone loved and what got the most airplay on FM radio, but the single DID exist. AM radio stations also edited it to fit into their format, it was so popular. But it was definitely a sign of the 70s that an act could get huge with a live album and a 14 minute long song.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: March 04, 2013, 01:28:06 PM »
Love Frampton and I've seen him play that song a million times live and I'm never sick of it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline masterthes

« Reply #472 on: March 04, 2013, 01:43:34 PM »
Awesome song

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #473 on: March 04, 2013, 02:41:33 PM »
The final guitar solo is one of my favorite guitar solos of all time.  Great song, great solo.  I've always loved how that entire live album just has two-part harmonies (the bassist, Stanley Sheldon, sings the second part) but it sounds fuller because of the notes Sheldon chooses.  I got a chance to do this song a few years ago and sang the harmony part.  It sounded sweet.

The edited live version isn't bad, but for people who are familiar with the full-length version, it just sounds choppy.  Because it is, of course; it literally has dozens of cuts where they had to find places to shorten it up, and some of the cuts are pretty bad.

The studio version from Frampton's Camel is pretty much the same as the live version, just not as long.  The only thing missing is the talkbox solo.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #474 on: March 05, 2013, 09:11:16 AM »
Red Rider - Lunatic Fringe

Great song, one that I hadn't heard in years before listening to it for the purposes of this thread (since I don't listen to the radio anymore).  And it still sounds great.  St. Louis rock radio stations used to play the shit out of this song, although, as this thread goes along, I now wonder how many of these songs were regional "hits" as opposed to being known everywhere. 

Offline Jaq

« Reply #475 on: March 05, 2013, 09:18:30 AM »
There was a music video for Lunatic Fringe, so it was likely more of a national hit than a lot of the songs in this thread. In fact, Lunatic Fringe came out at the time when MTV was starting to end the era of regional successes; if it had come out in 1980, it probably would have been lesser known in some parts of the world. The thing I remember most about this song was actually from the video: Red Rider was absolutely HORRIBLE at miming playing the song. Especially the drummer.  :rollin

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: March 05, 2013, 09:35:16 AM »
In Canada, its still played all the time.  Good opening to the song.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: March 05, 2013, 09:58:20 AM »
Great tune but like Jaq said, what a horrible video!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #478 on: March 05, 2013, 10:17:38 AM »
Oh man I actually remember the music video for this! I remember when they show the other guys doing back vocals,the bass player looked very awkward. Oh and don't even get me started on the drummber.  :rollin

But still,cool song.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #479 on: March 05, 2013, 10:19:09 AM »
Both those songs are amazing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #480 on: March 05, 2013, 10:28:53 AM »
I like Lunatic Fringe.  Cool song.  Maybe a little repetitive, but it has a good vibe, so it's okay.

Never got into Red Rider overall.  Apparently they are now officially "Tom Cochrane's Red Rider".  I always think it's silly when bands/people do that with the name.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #481 on: March 05, 2013, 11:55:39 AM »
I had never seen the video, but after checking it out, I just have to say :eek :lol :lol.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #482 on: March 05, 2013, 01:03:28 PM »
I will grant you it was fairly early in the music video revolution and bands were still getting used to the form...but even back then, by the standards of the time, that was an awful video.  :rollin

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #483 on: March 05, 2013, 07:15:17 PM »
Lunatic Fringe is a good song. It's kind of cool how Jeff Jones was in the first lineup of Rush in 1968. I wonder if he ever played any shows with them during the short time he was a member.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #484 on: March 06, 2013, 08:43:12 AM »
ZZ Top - Cheap Sunglasses

This has long been my favorite ZZ Top; I love everything about it.  Every time I listen to it, I can't decide which instrument is more awesome in it: guitar or bass.  It is a photo finish for sure, as both Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill are at the top of their games in this one.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #485 on: March 06, 2013, 10:22:07 AM »
One of my favorites from ZZ Top.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #486 on: March 06, 2013, 11:14:25 AM »
Definitely a fave.  I like the song, even the very concept of it is silly and fun.  And I love how when they get to the end of the jam at the end, they just kinda stop.  Song's over.  Ha ha, they so crazy!

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #487 on: March 06, 2013, 12:25:15 PM »
Joe Walsh - Life's Been Good
Overplayed, but it's a classic.

The only other song I like more from Joe is The Confessor.
Excellent choice, but the correct answer is Turn To Stone.

Peter Frampton - Do You Feel Like We Do

I remember first hearing this one when I was 6.  Best song from a killer live album.

Red Rider - Lunatic Fringe
Awesome song. :2metal:

ZZ Top - Cheap Sunglasses
Oh yeah.  The rest of the Deguello album is top-notch too, but you also can't go wrong going backwards from there.  While Tush put That Lil' Ol' Band From Texas on the map, this one (and the singles from Eliminator) kept them there.

Oh, and... :coolio

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #488 on: March 06, 2013, 02:19:22 PM »
Cheap Sunglasses always reminded me of Frankenstein.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #489 on: March 06, 2013, 02:45:16 PM »
Wow, I've never noticed that before, but I can hear it.  The hook riff right after he says "Cheap Sunglasses" is very similar to the main riff from "Frankenstein".