Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 160776 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #420 on: February 25, 2013, 01:58:24 AM »
Aqualung is the shit, plain and simple

:tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #421 on: February 25, 2013, 08:20:17 AM »
Triumph - Fight the Good Fight

One of the best underrated classic rock bands of the late 70s/early 80s.  They had a run of 4-5 great albums that resulted in a handful of classic rock staples, and I feel that this is the best one.  It has everything that made Triumph great: a great vocal hook, smoking guitar work, great melodies overall, outstanding rhythm section work and a rock-out sensibility that somehow didn't seem overdone.  Love this band; love this song. :hat

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #422 on: February 25, 2013, 08:29:52 AM »
Triumph were cool.  Rik Emmett had a great voice, and I kinda liked that they used synthesizers a bit.  They got a little bit formulaic after a while with the "quiet start, then get heavy" thing, but a lot of bands did that, including Rush, a band to whom Triumph was often compared, for obvious reasons.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #423 on: February 25, 2013, 08:42:58 AM »
The ending to this song is one of my favorite ending to a song ever.  I just wish that Triumph could replicate it live.  It never sounded right.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #424 on: February 25, 2013, 08:55:31 AM »
Triumph is a great band and one of the best live bands I ever saw.  Killer live shows.  Rik Emmett is a fantastic guitarist. 

"Fight The Good Fight" is probably in my top 5 tracks from Triumph. 

Other great tracks from them would be:
Magic Power
Hold On
Lay It On The Line
Follow Your Heart
Say Goodbye

I really dig some of their less accessible/commercial stuff too, the album Surveillance, for example, is all kinds of awesome.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #425 on: February 25, 2013, 09:07:33 AM »
Yeah, Eddie is so cool.  I liked his keyboard work in Jetho Tull; I just wished he'd gotten chance to whip out his violin.  When I heard he'd joined Jethro Tull, I was looking forward to some awesome flute-and-violin stuff.  A isn't bad, but it seemed like a bit of a missed opportunity.

On the other hand, I'm sure Eddie was hired for his keyboard skills.  Ian probably wasn't going to write something special just because his keyboard player also played violin.  And the fact that he was only on the one album might or might not be significant.

On the live version of Aqualung I mentioned, he played violin during the acoustic guitar sections. Trying to find it on Youtube, because I know I've seen it before, but not having any luck.

And Triumph. Loved them to death. Allied Forces is one of the best hard rock/metal albums of the 80s, and almost every album they did was gold. Minus The Sport of Kings, because, really, they flat out were going for commercial acceptance there. They took a lot of flak for being the OTHER Canadian power trio, but I never really cared about that.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #426 on: February 25, 2013, 01:48:57 PM »
Yeah, I have no interest in The Sport of Kings or anything after that, but Allied Forces, Just a Game, Thunder Seven and Never Surrender are all damn fine hard rock records. :tup :tup

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: February 26, 2013, 08:12:01 AM »
Triumph is a favorite of mine and this song is probably in my top 3 of all time if not number 1 on most days

I can remember an old review in either Kerrang magazine or Cream where the reviewer wondered if Rik's guitar actually had smoke coming from it due to his "unbelievable finger walking on the fretboard" (his words..not mine)

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #428 on: February 26, 2013, 09:33:40 AM »
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Blinded by the Light

This folksy Springsteen tune turned rocker in this cover was a big success, becoming a staple on classic rock radio, and why not? It's a damn good version. When I first heard it, I was one of many who thought the line, "Revved up like a duece," sounded like, "Wrapped up like a douche." :lol :lol  But that aside, I love this tune. 

Offline masterthes

« Reply #429 on: February 26, 2013, 09:43:38 AM »
Great song. The guitar solo is one of my favorites, and how can you not like a rock song that playes Chopsticks in the middle of it?

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #430 on: February 26, 2013, 10:20:12 AM »
Awesome song.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #431 on: February 26, 2013, 10:54:34 AM »
Great version of a mediocre song.  Manfred Mann's Earth Band did covers of at least three Springsteen songs that I know of (the other two being "I Came for You" and "Spirits in the Night") and IMO all three of them blow away the originals.  I'm not a huge Springsteen fan, though, so your mileage may vary.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #432 on: February 26, 2013, 11:59:50 PM »
Shooting Star - Last Chance

I don't know how big this song was elsewhere, but here in St. Louis, this was a massive hit on classic and hard rock radio stations, and for good reason: it is a fantastic song!  In addition to sounding classic rock-ish, tt even has a big of hints of progginess to it.  The instrumental section is phenomenal, featuring some wonderful interplay between piano/keys, guitar, violin and drums; without a doubt one of the best instrumental sections from ANY classic rock hit.  If you have never heard this song before, and consider yourself a classic rock fan, check this song out immediately.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #433 on: February 27, 2013, 11:13:31 AM »
No one?  ???

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #434 on: February 27, 2013, 12:18:02 PM »
I had never heard this band before, but I just gave the song a listen. Gives me some big 80s Kansas vibes. Man, I absolutely love violin in a rock context. Really cool song!
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #435 on: February 27, 2013, 01:39:41 PM »
No one?  ???

Sorry, I've never heard of them.  I'd hunt down a YouTube of them or something, but I'm too lazy.  If only someone had posted a link...

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #436 on: February 27, 2013, 02:15:36 PM »
I bought Stages by Triumph on vinyl randomly and I enjoyed the album very much.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Jaq

« Reply #437 on: February 27, 2013, 02:18:14 PM »
Hey, they played Last Chance here too.  :rollin Shooting Star kind of came off as being, well, Kansas lite, but Last Chance was a pretty wicked song with some great drumming. I bought that song off iTunes when I first started using it.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: February 27, 2013, 02:19:44 PM »
Back to the Triumph song. Awesome band and one of my all time favorite songs. Great vibe to the song and a great ending.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #439 on: February 28, 2013, 08:15:32 AM »
No one?  ???

Sorry, I've never heard of them.  I'd hunt down a YouTube of them or something, but I'm too lazy.  If only someone had posted a link...

Lazy ass...;) :biggrin:

Here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5BqpvcWuyo

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #440 on: February 28, 2013, 10:19:32 AM »
Don McLean - American Pie

This is one of those songs that everyone knows, whether they know it or not. :lol  Odd song for me in that I do not remember the first time I heard it, but it was like one day, I thought, "Oh yeah, I've heard this a dozen times already."  So, it wasn't a song that grabbed me, but I remembered it enough for it to sound familiar.  It's obviously a good song, and a lot of people are completely bananas for it, but I would say I merely like it. 

Offline masterthes

« Reply #441 on: February 28, 2013, 11:11:15 AM »
Definitely in my top 20. Love the song to pieces

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #442 on: February 28, 2013, 03:05:59 PM »
It's very good. Not one of my top faves, but there's nothing bad about it and it's rightly a classic.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #443 on: February 28, 2013, 08:36:42 PM »
"American Pie" is one of those songs with tons of lyrics, so it's like a badge of honor to learn them all and be able to sing the whole song along with Don.  Either that, or it's a badge of total nerdery, I'm not sure.

Great song, but my favorite from that album is "Vincent".  That song brings me to tears every time.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #444 on: March 01, 2013, 10:37:27 AM »
It's a badge of nerdery, and I say that as someone who knows the song by heart  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #445 on: March 01, 2013, 11:46:18 AM »
Rush - Limelight

Awful song by a bunch of Canadian dorks whose songs are nothing more than a canvas upon which they can show off their chops, while demonstrating that they and their music have no soul whatsoever.

:lol :lol

Okay, for real, great song, obviously, although this is one of their songs I am kind of tired of hearing.  But a classic, without a doubt!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #446 on: March 01, 2013, 11:59:58 AM »
Best song off Moving Pictures

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #447 on: March 01, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: March 01, 2013, 12:47:40 PM »
sorry been away...Loved the Shooting Star...still have a couple of their albums on vinyl...can't think of the name of the top of my head, but has a guy on a dirtbike jumping across a bedroom
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #449 on: March 01, 2013, 12:53:45 PM »
Third best song off Moving Pictures.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #450 on: March 01, 2013, 01:46:06 PM »
Top 5 guitar solo for me ever.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #451 on: March 01, 2013, 11:40:43 PM »
Third best song off Moving Pictures.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: March 02, 2013, 09:00:35 AM »
absolute classic!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #453 on: March 02, 2013, 10:26:37 AM »
Aliotta, Haynes and Jeremiah - Lake Shore Drive

This was a huge classic rock hit here in the Midwest, but I fear it could be another one of those regional hits, where people in other parts of the country are unaware of it.  That aside, this is a great little tune, fun as hell to drive to, and a mainstay on every classic rock compilation I have ever made.  Sidenote, the rest of the album this song came from is utter dog shit :lol; definitely a one-hit wonder band.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #454 on: March 02, 2013, 04:04:40 PM »
I grew up in Michigan, and still never heard this song until I moved to the Chicago area, so it may have been a Midwest classic, but maybe only certain parts of the Midwest or something.

Other than that, I agree.  The rest of the album is completely forgettable, but the one song is fun.