Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 160747 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #385 on: February 20, 2013, 08:47:50 PM »
Love The Moody Blues. Them and Queen were really the first two bands I enjoyed when I was younger... And coincidentally I just went on a complete MB binge last night. Amazing stuff... and See-Saw is an all around classic!

Love times 10000 for this song
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #386 on: February 21, 2013, 10:34:28 AM »
The Doobie Brothers - Long Train Runnin'

No matter how many times I hear this song, this is one of those songs that I can never turn off; awesome song all-around.  The Doobies have a lot of great songs, but this is easily my favorite.  What's really amazing is that it has a harmonica solo, and that is an instrument that annoys me more often than not, but it just works in this song.  The bass line is also noteworthy; it adds a rhythm and a groove that makes it easy to get sucked right in.  So yeah, awesome tune!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #387 on: February 21, 2013, 10:47:52 AM »
We used to call this one "the train-watching song" when our son was little, because we'd often kill time by heading down to the railyard and watching trains.  Trains are awesome.  And this song is about heading down around the corner, half a mile from here, and watching trains.  What that has to do with love, I've never figured out.  In fact, I have no idea what the song is trying to say.  But it's a good song.  Most Doobie Brothers is pretty good stuff.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #388 on: February 21, 2013, 11:02:28 AM »
Saw the Doobie Brothers live with Chicago and they played this tune and they sounded great.  Hit after hit after hit.  They always have a great grove to them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline masterthes

« Reply #389 on: February 21, 2013, 11:12:41 AM »
Favorite Doobie Brothers tune! Awesome song

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #390 on: February 21, 2013, 11:38:15 AM »
There may be bands where the dividing line between how their music sounds throughout their career that is sharper than the Doobie Brothers, but wow, I can't think of one off the top of my head. The Michael McDonald version of the band is practically a different band, musically. I say this because, really, I've never been much of a fan of the band in either incarnation (as my comment on thinking Let It Ride was a Doobies song might have made clear) but I just wanted to work that thought in.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: February 21, 2013, 05:35:44 PM »
Fuck I love the Doobs.  Great musicians and lots of great tunes.  Great sound.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #392 on: February 21, 2013, 08:16:16 PM »
The Doobie Brothers - Long Train Runnin'

Majorly overplayed, but it's a classic.  Those harmonies are just killer - I will say that I'm more of a fan of the stuff before it became Michael McDonald and The Doobie Brothers.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #393 on: February 21, 2013, 09:05:50 PM »
Love this song.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #394 on: February 22, 2013, 04:25:52 AM »
Yeah, Michael McDonald pretty much ruined the band

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: February 22, 2013, 05:01:52 AM »
Great song, and fun to play on bass. I've actually played this one on stage once.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: February 22, 2013, 05:23:55 AM »
Yeah this was a staple when I use to play covers.  This and China Grove.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #397 on: February 22, 2013, 11:37:07 AM »
Styx - Renegade

One helluva rocking tune, this never fails to deliver in a live setting, which is why it is often a set or show closer.  Definitely one of their most classic hits, and they have quite a few songs that get heavy airplay on classic rock radio stations.  This seems to be the one Styx song that even non-fans seems to usually like.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #398 on: February 22, 2013, 11:45:48 AM »
Great song.  We've tried to do it a few times, but those vocal harmonies are tough.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: February 22, 2013, 01:43:56 PM »
Not one of my top Styx songs, but it is a good one, and it does deliver live.

Never been a fan of the Doobie Brothers.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #400 on: February 22, 2013, 02:47:22 PM »
The one time I saw Styx... was with my ex and some family friends... the entire time she was bitching because she didn't wanna be there...  "I DON'T KNOW ANY OF THEIR SONGS!"

Well she was wrong... besides recognizing the sample of Mr. Roboto in the opening medley... she knew Renegade. And then... and then... she made a comment that went something like this

"I'm surprised to hear them play a cover song..>"

-_-

Love Styx and love Renegade. Damn I may have to listen to some Styx at work today
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #401 on: February 22, 2013, 08:45:20 PM »

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #402 on: February 22, 2013, 10:18:57 PM »
Renegade's a great rocker, and the intro is memorable and helps set the song apart from the crowd.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: February 23, 2013, 03:47:01 AM »
Such a great rocking tune with Tommy at the lead.  Another reason why I loved Styx is the fact they can rock out and pull off a ballad and other styles.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #404 on: February 23, 2013, 04:35:31 AM »
Rumor has it that Tommy wanted to make Renegade an acoustic song, and it was Dennis who'd told Tommy that it needed to be a balls-out rocker.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #405 on: February 23, 2013, 06:24:59 AM »
Renegade is awesome. My 2nd fav Styx song

Offline Jaq

« Reply #406 on: February 23, 2013, 07:44:22 AM »
Ahh, Renegade. The last true balls out rocker the band did. True, there were still songs that were ostensibly rockers on Styx's albums after this, but the production and guitar sounds robbed them of most of their bite. Renegade, though, kicks ass up one side and down the other, as does all of Pieces of Eight.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #407 on: February 23, 2013, 08:58:31 AM »
Scorpions - The Zoo

Scorpions are odd in that I was never much of a fan, but they always had songs that if they came on, I was like, "Cool song," and I'd crank it up. This was one of them.  I eventually got into a bit more of their stuff (maybe five years ago or so), but they are still not a band I hardly ever listen to.  This is a helluva tune, however.  The urgency of that main riff alone makes it worthy.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #408 on: February 23, 2013, 09:17:42 AM »
My wife is a Scorpions fan, including a big fan of this song.  I like some Scorpions songs, but not this one.  I get it.  The slow driving beat, the buildup... it just doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Rumor has it that Tommy wanted to make Renegade an acoustic song, and it was Dennis who'd told Tommy that it needed to be a balls-out rocker.

I've never heard that story.  Thanks for that one. :tup

Offline Jaq

« Reply #409 on: February 23, 2013, 10:26:20 AM »
The Zoo is always better live, because they pick up the tempo just enough to give some urgency to the song. The studio version just kinds of plods along in comparison to the live version. Saw Scorpions live way back when and The Zoo brought the house down.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: February 23, 2013, 05:24:13 PM »
I always dug The Zoo and as a teen we played it and Rock You Like A Hurricane in our garage band.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: February 23, 2013, 05:44:54 PM »
I really love the beginning to this song and I agree, you just want to crank it up when it starts

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #412 on: February 24, 2013, 08:38:06 AM »
Jethro Tull - Aqualung

I remember when I first getting acquainted with this song, I couldn't believe how awesome it was.  The main riff was so infectious, and everything else about the song just seemed to fit just perfectly in making it a perfectly executed song.  Years later, my opinion has not changed at all; it is still an awesome song.  This was always a mainstay in the top 20 in KSHE's Rock and Roll 500 they do every Memorial Day weekend.  Not sure if it still is, but back in the day, it was as much of a guarantee as Stairway to Heaven, Free Bird and Hotel California to be near the top.  A classic in every way imaginable.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #413 on: February 24, 2013, 08:55:37 AM »
Seen it live recently. All I have to say is  :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #414 on: February 24, 2013, 09:43:59 AM »
One of Jethro Tull's finest.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #415 on: February 24, 2013, 05:13:39 PM »
Great song.  I love it has fast parts, slow parts, the opening riff/verse which starts and stops... you could never do a song like that today.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #416 on: February 24, 2013, 06:36:47 PM »
My favorite version of Aqualung, which I believe I mentioned at one point during the Yes discography thread when Eddie Jobson was mentioned, was a live video from the A tour with Jobson on keyboards, and was memorable because it was the first time my young guitar and drums loving self said "that's a pretty good keyboard player." Classic song, but not my favorite from that album, as that honor goes to Wind-up, but hell, the entire album's a classic.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #417 on: February 24, 2013, 09:28:32 PM »
Yeah, Eddie is so cool.  I liked his keyboard work in Jetho Tull; I just wished he'd gotten chance to whip out his violin.  When I heard he'd joined Jethro Tull, I was looking forward to some awesome flute-and-violin stuff.  A isn't bad, but it seemed like a bit of a missed opportunity.

On the other hand, I'm sure Eddie was hired for his keyboard skills.  Ian probably wasn't going to write something special just because his keyboard player also played violin.  And the fact that he was only on the one album might or might not be significant.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #418 on: February 25, 2013, 12:59:43 AM »
Scorpions - The Zoo

Good song, but not my favorite of theirs.

I've never heard that story.  Thanks for that one. :tup

No prob, dude. :tup

Jethro Tull - Aqualung

:hefdaddy :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

I liked his keyboard work in Jetho Tull; I just wished he'd gotten chance to whip out his violin.

You should look for Slipstream - Eddie whipped out the violin live, during "Heavy Horses" (it was just that one, IIRC).

A isn't bad, but it seemed like a bit of a missed opportunity.

Completely agreed.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #419 on: February 25, 2013, 01:35:28 AM »
Aqualung is the shit, plain and simple