Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 158591 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #315 on: February 11, 2013, 09:29:39 AM »
On that note...

Molly Hatchet - Dreams I'll Never See

One of the best classic rock songs ever to drive to.  It is technically an Allman Brothers cover, but they did something very different with it, and I think it is much better than the original.  I love this song.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 09:57:27 AM by KevShmev »

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #316 on: February 11, 2013, 09:56:50 AM »
Molly Hatchet's debut album is one of my favorite albums of all time-it'd be in the top 20 of a Jaq top 50 thread, though I simply don't have the patience to figure out ALL of a top 50, let alone write one up-and Dreams is one of the best covers I can think of, simply because the band makes it their own. Great song from an amazing album.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #317 on: February 11, 2013, 10:04:03 AM »
On that note...

Molly Hatchet - Dreams I'll Never See

One of the best classic rock songs ever to drive to.  It is technically an Allman Brothers cover, but they did something very different with it, and I think it is much better than the original.  I love this song.

Heard this song on a guitar comp....awesome song

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #318 on: February 11, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
I don't know about "trying too hard" though I guess I see what you mean.  Sure, it's another song where they go into a long jam, guitars firing on all eight for several minutes.  But that's where the similarities end.  The song itself is superior IMO (obviously that's just opinion) and the "Green Grass" jam has some changes to it and built-in bridges which make it the more interesting jam to me (fact+opinion).  The "Free Bird" jam is literally the same three chords over and over for ten minutes.  The rhythm changes up a few times, but that's it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #319 on: February 12, 2013, 08:52:59 AM »
Pink Floyd -  Time

Dark Side of the Moon is one of the few albums where every song is still played on classic rock radio, and it being perhaps the most popular rock album ever, it is deserving of such treatment.  Personally, Time has always been my favorite song from it, and it is probably my favorite Floyd song.  It has my favorite Gilmour solo (yes, I slightly prefer it to either Comfortably Numb solo), the lyrics are some of the best ever penned in a rock song, the intro is out of this world, and the vocal melodies from start to finish are just magnificent.  This is a perfect song.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #320 on: February 12, 2013, 09:06:04 AM »
Another near perfect song.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #321 on: February 12, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
It made me a fan, so complete love for this song

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #322 on: February 12, 2013, 09:32:41 AM »
Great song.  I actually love it for the lyrics more than the music, although the music is also great.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #323 on: February 12, 2013, 10:23:51 AM »
One of Pink Floyd's most popular songs, and for good reason.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #324 on: February 12, 2013, 10:44:47 AM »
Tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock....

BONGGGGGG!

I can't count how many times I listened to Dark Side of the Moon, an album I loved to fall asleep to, and getting to that part in the intro of Time and always being startled awake by it. Great song, great lyrics, great solo by Gilmour, the reprise to Breathe slips in perfectly at the end...magnificent.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #325 on: February 12, 2013, 10:56:52 AM »

BONGGGGGG!

I love that part sooo much.  I just crank up the volume and let the walls shake.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #326 on: February 12, 2013, 11:36:45 AM »

BONGGGGGG!

I can't count how many times I listened to Dark Side of the Moon, an album I loved to fall asleep to, and getting to that part in the intro of Time and always being startled awake by it.
THIS THIS THIS THIS.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #327 on: February 12, 2013, 11:51:39 AM »
Time.

Amazing intro. Amazing vocals (RICK WRIGHT FTW!) Amazing solo. Amazing Lyrics.

:heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

:dsotm:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline masterthes

« Reply #328 on: February 12, 2013, 12:04:23 PM »
Yeah, the intro is probably my 2nd fav PF intro (1st being the In The Flesh numbers)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #329 on: February 12, 2013, 12:25:48 PM »
Missed some stuff, so I'll only comment on the most recent offering...

LOVE Time.  Always have. :heart

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #330 on: February 12, 2013, 01:07:20 PM »
Like most Pink Floyd material, I can't stand that song. It just depresses the hell out of me, and my life's depressing enough as it is.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #331 on: February 12, 2013, 01:24:53 PM »
Like most Pink Floyd material, it is depressing.  But this particular song struck a chord with me and I found it inspirational instead.  When you're young and stupid, you have this feeling that life is so long as to be virtually endless, so you don't a damn about wasting days, months, even years, because whatever, there's always tomorrow to get your shit together.  You kinda get used to your parents telling you when things need to get done, and kinda get used to ignoring them if you want, or if it doesn't seem like there will be any real consequences.

Then one day you realize that you've been totally fucking up.  Your life is happening, it's passing you by, while you sit on your ass and watch TV or listen to tunes.  No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun.  No, fuck that.  Your parents, your teachers, every adult you've ever met has been telling you for years to get your shit together and make something of your life; you just got so used to ignoring them that it never occurred to you that they might be right.

It was years too late (but fewer than 10) when I finally realized what this song meant, and I'd been listening to it since I was in junior high.  Ever since then, I've lived my life to make the most of it.  Yeah, you're gonna die anyway, but there's nothing you can do about that.  What you can do is live your life to the fullest in the meantime.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #332 on: February 12, 2013, 11:55:44 PM »
The Alan Parsons Project - Games People Play

A friend used to be really big into this band, and he was the one who introduced me to a lot of their stuff.  Much of it was good, but didn't really stick with me.  However, there were a handful of classics that did, and Games People Play was one that was not only an immediate grabber, but one that still sounds great to my ears.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #333 on: February 13, 2013, 01:43:28 AM »
Good song, but I always liked I Wouldn't Want to Be Like You much better.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #334 on: February 13, 2013, 10:09:50 AM »
It doesn't always happen-it didn't really happen last year, because I got back into Zeppelin when Celebration Day came out-but every year, I find myself delving into the discography of a classic band that I hadn't normally gotten into. The Alan Parsons Project was the band that won that honor in 2010. While I came out of that still thinking what I did as a casual listener to APP-that Eye In The Sky was their best album-Turn of A Friendly Card is really good too. There really isn't a market for this kind of, for lack of a better word, soft rock music-music a little more ambitious than pop, but not terribly aggressive-anymore, which is kind of a shame, because APP did it so well.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #335 on: February 13, 2013, 10:57:21 AM »
Tales Of Mystery And Imagination is an amazing album.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #336 on: February 13, 2013, 12:33:45 PM »
Games People Play is great. Turn of a Friendly Card is a pretty good album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #337 on: February 14, 2013, 11:15:57 AM »
Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Back in my early classic rock radio listening days ('89/early 90s), this was played all of the time, but it seems like over time, it got played less and less.  But there is no denying what a classic this song still is.  I've always liked it.  It's not a song that I listen to and think, "Wow, this is awesome," but it is a nice little song, and it is a very much of a time piece song, it being a protest song at the time (1967).

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #338 on: February 14, 2013, 11:18:26 AM »
Good song.  Protest, social commentary, and a great feel all wrapped up together.  I like the guitar work, too.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #339 on: February 14, 2013, 05:00:43 PM »
Really good song.  Public Enemy sampled it in "He Got Game" and they were able to get Stephen Stills to do guest vox.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #340 on: February 14, 2013, 05:26:56 PM »
I for one love Games People Play and I miss that 70's blend of prog and pop as Orbert pointed out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #341 on: February 14, 2013, 11:18:05 PM »
For What it's Worth is really cool.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Jaq

« Reply #342 on: February 15, 2013, 08:16:44 AM »
Ahh, yes, For What It's Worth. One of the two go to songs-the other being Fortunate Son by Credence Clearwater Revival-for directors to use in a movie that has scenes set during the Vietnam War.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #343 on: February 15, 2013, 09:29:32 AM »
Ahh, yes, For What It's Worth. One of the two go to songs-the other being Fortunate Son by Credence Clearwater Revival-for directors to use in a movie that has scenes set during the Vietnam War.  :lol

Both are featured in the Vietnam War segment of Forrest Gump. :lol
I for one love Games People Play and I miss that 70's blend of prog and pop as Orbert pointed out.

Speaking of which...

Planet P Project - Why Me?

Some would question whether or not this is classic rock, but this was always a KSHE classic here in St. Louis, so it counts.  Very cool song, one that was always on the classic rock mix tapes we made back in the day. Plus, it had that pop-driven bottom end that made it easy to crank up on good stereo systems.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #344 on: February 15, 2013, 10:08:04 AM »
I totally had Forrest Gump on my mind when I made that post about For What It's Worth. Reached the point with me that whenever that song comes on I hear helicopters.  :lol

As for Planet P-I'm proud to admit that Pink World is one of my favorite albums of the 80s. Less fond of Why Me, though it did get some airplay around these parts.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #345 on: February 15, 2013, 04:45:20 PM »
Planet P Project - Why Me?

Some would question whether or not this is classic rock, but this was always a KSHE classic here in St. Louis, so it counts.  Very cool song, one that was always on the classic rock mix tapes we made back in the day. Plus, it had that pop-driven bottom end that made it easy to crank up on good stereo systems.

Good call - always loved that one.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #346 on: February 15, 2013, 04:55:36 PM »
Totally forgot about this song.  Man I forgot how much I dug it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #347 on: February 16, 2013, 11:20:51 PM »
Ten Years After - I'd Love to Change the World

This is another one of those classic rock bands that I can't name another song by, but I love the one song I do know.  Featuring some both tasty acoustic and electric guitar work, the vocal melodies are really nice, especially the chorus.  And the hard-hitting climax is absolutely perfect.  Great song.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #348 on: February 16, 2013, 11:54:06 PM »
Great song! The rest of the album it's from is okay, but it's the obvious standout.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #349 on: February 17, 2013, 07:17:29 AM »
I've always liked this one.  It has a dark, introspective feel, and was something of a different take on the whole "change the world" thing that was pretty common.