Author Topic: Positive Prog  (Read 2431 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Positive Prog
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2013, 06:27:06 AM »
I prefer positive music overall, not just prog. Depressive music ain't my thing.
For me it's the other way round - I prefer dark and depressive music, positive stuff isn't my cup of tea. Maybe it's just a Finnish thing, but I find minor much more beautiful than major, and ironically dark lyrics make me feel better when I feel down.

I like Anathema, but even they have their roots in doom and gloom. DT is also among the less dark bands I like, and I'm still getting into Rush, who don't seem to write particularly gloomy stuff. I don't know if Sonata Arctica can be called prog, but they have some uplifting moments too, like Cinderblox on the new album. I'm not as much into Stratovarius as I used to, and I find some of their stuff pretty cheesy nowadays, but they have some good happy songs as well.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 05:57:23 PM »
Haven't heard s/t yet, but like The Hemulic Voluntary Band. 

Oh cool, somebody else who knows Ritual. THVB is a fantastic album (my favorite of their 4 releases), but I'd say it feels less positive than the self-titled. I think fans of Gentle Giant and the Flower Kings could find a lot to like in Ritual.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2013, 06:42:11 PM »
Pretty much every Yes, Flower Kings, and Transatlantic song. A lot of Genesis, Rush, Joe Satriani, and Magic Pie's songs are very happy-sounding.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2013, 04:07:15 AM »
Haven't heard s/t yet, but like The Hemulic Voluntary Band. 

Oh cool, somebody else who knows Ritual. THVB is a fantastic album (my favorite of their 4 releases), but I'd say it feels less positive than the self-titled. I think fans of Gentle Giant and the Flower Kings could find a lot to like in Ritual.

Absolutely on GG; I'm not familiar enough with TFK but take your word on that.  Will have to get on the s/t. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2013, 06:56:08 AM »
Let's add Karmakanic to that list. They are quite positive too
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2013, 09:13:39 AM »
Yes, agreed.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2013, 11:23:02 AM »
If Paradox Hotel by The Flower Kings doesn't have you smiling for the rest of your life, you probably need to start taking prozac.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2013, 10:56:18 PM »
Did someone mention It Bites?  Well, add them to the list.  I just checked out Map of the Past.  Brilliant and amazing album, especially for the positive prog fans like myself. 

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2013, 07:44:28 AM »
Did someone mention It Bites?  Well, add them to the list.  I just checked out Map of the Past.  Brilliant and amazing album, especially for the positive prog fans like myself.

Yeah, great album.  Surprised more people here don't like them/check them out particularly because of the John Mitchell factor.

Offline Hayden

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2013, 08:22:49 AM »
I know that Yes has already been mentioned, but I'd like to just give a specific mention to "To Be Alive (Hep Yadda)". There are few songs that can fill me with an instant sense of joy, regardless of the situation. Jethro Tull's "Fallen On Hard Times" does the same thing, for some reason.

Definitely Moon Safari and Transatlantic, but don't forget Big Big Train!

Don't ever forget Big Big Train. These guys really are sublime, and they definitely need a mention here, 'cause they pump out some mighty fine positive prog music. A few songs that spring to mind are "Kingmaker", "Victorian Brickwork", "The Last Train", "Upton Heath"... the list goes on. And so far I've only listed songs from the few albums I've heard! (I only found out about this band about 10 months ago, from this very forum. I can't remember who it was who mentioned them, but I wanna shake their hand.)

Their finest moment, however, is actually one of their more sombre, haunting, dramatic songs - "A Boy in Darkness". Though, some would argue that the song ends on a positive note by the time it reaches its incredibly climactic ending. Either way, it's a powerful and genuinely inspiring song, and I highly recommend it. And I don't mean this lightly when I say that it's one of the best progressive rock songs I've ever heard.

I also find Anathema to be very positive these days. Their last couple of albums have been very beautiful and uplifting.

"Untouchable, Part 1" is particularly great.