Author Topic: Music Production  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Filipe_metalhead

Music Production
« on: January 19, 2013, 04:16:30 PM »
Ok, I'm a musician (guitarist) , I love the production work, I love listening to DT albums, specially ADTOE because of its calirity and high definition sound... It's all well equalized and everything... But I'm gettin desperated... I have songs of my own, and I tried everything since installing Guitar Rig 5, I saw some videos on the internet of Guitar Sounds, and I was really motivated by it so I ran out to get the VST, but useless... Unfortunelly I didn't get what I wanted a cool production... I know that for that we need to go into a studio because that's where we get the High Quallity, but I also know that we can do something like that in a Laptop... Do you guys know something? Any pdf file of music production? Any specified program to master or anything??

Oh, by the way I'm working with Pre Sonus Studio One 2...

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
Re: Music Production
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 09:39:47 AM »
What method by which are you recording? Is it direct line in or are you using amps and microphones? If it's the latter it could be the accoustics of the room, and you may need some foam. What's the exact problem you are having? I can probably find the program that my friend David uses for mastering, but that's on linux, so I doubt you'll get it working.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Filipe_metalhead

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 11:33:33 AM »
Thansks for answering... I'm using Mic and Amp, the mic is cool is a dynamic mic, the amp is a line 6. I plug the mic into the mic hole on the mic input in the laptop... The problem, whatever I do, no matter what plugins I put on the audio event, the sound never changes...

you can hear the sound I have in here:

https://soundcloud.com/bulprick

the sound I desire is like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zAqzCvIMV8

(this is an example of how the sound of my guitar can get, I know it's possible, but the problem is that I already used Guitar Rig 5 and it's presets, and it doesn't sound like that it all, as you can hear in the first link which is my band...)

Offline Tiko

• Keyboardist for The Storyline
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 08:05:39 AM »
It sounds like you're not applying the plug-in the right way. Also I'd try to avoid using the mic input of the laptop itself and get an external interface. Wont set you back too much and the difference is huge.
You can get that big commercial sound in a studio apartment, it all comes down to knowing what you do. Try reading as much as you can about production, mixing and especially micing techniques.

This is a good topic to get random tips: https://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Recording-Forum/What-s-your-favorite-studio-quot-secret-quot/td-p/160545

- Tiko

Offline Filipe_metalhead

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 04:11:45 PM »
Well, I can't affor right now to buy the stuffs that are required such as External SoundBoards with mic inputs and stuff... Unforntunelly I've always recorded stuff and never really cared for the basic process... Whatever, the thing is, how can I get good quality with only a mic, a amp, a computer and studio one 2.5?

I've used Guitar Rig 5 and it was really nice to found a preset with such a power... The thing is I plugged in the Guitar Rig in the track and the guitar just gained life... It does really helps a lot because it emulates all of the stuff that we need to acquire on the real life... The only problem is that with some riffs it doesn't seem to work very nice... but it does take a lot of dust... So, any sugestions on this matter???

Offline Tiko

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 11:15:17 AM »
Well, I can't affor right now to buy the stuffs that are required such as External SoundBoards with mic inputs and stuff... Unforntunelly I've always recorded stuff and never really cared for the basic process... Whatever, the thing is, how can I get good quality with only a mic, a amp, a computer and studio one 2.5?

I've used Guitar Rig 5 and it was really nice to found a preset with such a power... The thing is I plugged in the Guitar Rig in the track and the guitar just gained life... It does really helps a lot because it emulates all of the stuff that we need to acquire on the real life... The only problem is that with some riffs it doesn't seem to work very nice... but it does take a lot of dust... So, any sugestions on this matter???

A lot of presets are designed to sound good when you hear them all by themselves so they may not sit perfectly in a mix without tweaking... Save up some cash and buy a decent interface, you'll find used for like $50. It will make a huge difference, no matter what you're recording.

- Tiko

Offline Filipe_metalhead

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 09:28:35 AM »
ok, will this:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_ucg102.htm

get the work done??

Offline Tiko

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 02:48:14 PM »
ok, will this:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_ucg102.htm

get the work done??

Anything is an upgrade from the integrated sound chip. I'd consider something with an XLR/plug input though so it'd work great with mics too.

- Tiko

Offline Filipe_metalhead

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 11:51:48 AM »
can you be more specific? I mean, can you tell me which is the best and cheaper??

Offline Tiko

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 03:00:18 PM »
If I were you I'd get this: https://www.thomann.de/gb/m_audio_fast_track_mkii_b_stock.htm

I know it's a bit more than what you posted. If you can't afford it now I'd wait until I could.
The thing about buying the cheapest stuff is that you'll buy a better unit later and it'll end up costing more money. I recommend the fast track because in my band we have all three versions; fast track, fast track pro and fast track ultra. While it's not the best out there it's pretty good for the money and it'll last a long time.

You can plug your guitar straight in as well as a microphone.

If you don't have the money now I'd say keep using the laptop soundcard and try to get together the funds for that fast track even if it means waiting a bit.

- Tiko

Offline Filipe_metalhead

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 03:21:10 PM »
Thank you very much man, you've been really a help... I'll do it... I'll wait... You're right, I've experienced that before... I mean, buy cheaper stuff and then get the real deal... Spend two moneys instead of one.. Thanks a lot once again!! You've been really a help!

Offline Tiko

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 03:48:08 PM »
No problem, I'm happy to help!

- Tiko

Offline Filipe_metalhead

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 11:54:45 AM »
Well, I've decided to put here some stuff of mine recorded with Guitar Rig 5 ... it's not bad i thing, but i know that it can be better...

Take a second and listen to this:

https://soundcloud.com/bulprick

P.S.: Is the two last songs...

Offline Filipe_metalhead

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 01:30:42 PM »
Hey guys, I've been working on some brand new stuff and here's the result of recording with guitar rig 5
we're still producing it and try to make it perfect (which never is...) but here's our attempts...

https://soundcloud.com/bulprick/massive-attack