Author Topic: Recommend me some TV series on DVD  (Read 7514 times)

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Recommend me some TV series on DVD
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2013, 08:14:44 AM »
Ii know a few have recommended Sons of Anarchy  please do yourself a favor and watch this, it is the only TV series that I watch religiously

for me the best Drama on TV
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline krands85

« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2013, 02:16:57 PM »
Ii know a few have recommended Sons of Anarchy  please do yourself a favor and watch this, it is the only TV series that I watch religiously

for me the best Drama on TV
Just started watching this. About 7 or 8 episodes in, very good so far  :tup
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2013, 08:10:58 AM »
If you liked Firefly, have you also checked out Joss Whedon's other shows (Buffy, Angel, Dollhouse)?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2013, 10:32:35 AM »
Watch the 13 episodes of Carl Sagan's Cosmos. It's a phenomenal journey.  :corn

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2013, 01:41:53 PM »
Dead Like Me. It's a damn shame what happened to that show.

This!  Oh, and...

Watch the 13 episodes of Carl Sagan's Cosmos. It's a phenomenal journey.  :corn

THIS.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2013, 05:59:54 AM »
Okay, yesterday, I finished Sesaon 1 of "Game of Thrones". Enjoyed it a lot and will buy more.

After that, I started with Season 1 of "The Office" (BBC) - but turned it off during the first episode. I knew the concept from the German 'clone' "Stromberg", of which I saw a few episodes and quite liked them. But yesterday, I couldn't get into it at all. Might give it another try one day.

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline masterthes

« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2013, 06:51:58 AM »
I have classic Twilight Zone on DVD and I'm ploughing through season 4 of X-Files

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2013, 12:44:52 AM »
NCIS.

Oh, and I just started watching the Walking Dead, and it's really good.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2013, 04:09:13 AM »
I like "The Following" lately. Story and acting are awesome.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2013, 06:24:56 AM »
I watched the first for seasons of Parks and Recreation last week. That was a fun show.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2013, 08:37:02 PM »
Anyone else going to give 'Defiance' on SyFy a chance when it starts next month? I am a sucker for post apocalyptic shows/movies so I'm going to give it a whirl. Plus it's set in my home town of StL so I have to at least give it a shot.

I've also DVR'd the first 'Bates Motel' on A&E. I think I might let a few episodes of that build up and then watch them in a row one night to try and get a feel for it.

Does anyone else who watches 'Community' think this season sucks horribly compared to past seasons.....I think it's been pretty bad, at least below what it was. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2013, 08:44:50 PM »
Does anyone else who watches 'Community' think this season sucks horribly compared to past seasons.....I think it's been pretty bad, at least below what it was.

I've been marathoning Community since January on DVD, and I've been loving the fuck out of it. People have been telling me not to even bother with Season 4 once that comes to dvd though. Guess the showrunner leaving really did have a massive impact. Ah well. I'm enjoying what I have at least.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2013, 09:11:59 PM »

I've been marathoning Community since January on DVD, and I've been loving the fuck out of it. People have been telling me not to even bother with Season 4 once that comes to dvd though. Guess the showrunner leaving really did have a massive impact. Ah well. I'm enjoying what I have at least.

It's been a bummer really. I love(ed) this show. But, it's pretty tough to take right now.  I guess like you said, no matter how big a dick that show runner was he apparently was the creative spark behind the scenes.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2013, 01:16:20 PM »
The only show I really want on DVD is The West Wing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2013, 01:55:10 PM »
Community definitely isn't the same since Dan Harmon left, but I am still enjoying this season.  I was afraid that the characters would fall into a parody of themselves (which happened for a bit of season 7 and 8 of The Office) or stay stagnant (a la The Big Bang Theory), but each episode thus far has kept me coming back for more.  Given the storyline, I can't see how this makes it another season though.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2013, 02:27:37 PM »
I've probably already said it and it's probably already been said anyway but just to reiterate how awesome the show is, Curb Your Enthusiasm is a must-have. I'm rewatching the series and am currently on season 5 and it's a gut buster. Larry David is a genius.

Even if you don't watch the whole series, the episode entitled "Krazee Eyez Killah" needs to be seen by every man, woman and child on Earth. It is the epitome of what I love about David's humor and I don't think I've loved any comedy more than this episode.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2013, 11:20:37 PM »
If you're interested in a more scifi show, maybe Doctor Who, which I've recently gotten into thanks to Rob.
Excellent!! How are you liking it?

It's brilliant! I just finished season 6 episode 7: A Good Man Goes to War. Definitely my favorite episode of season 6 so far. I think it's safe to say that I've been enjoying it increasingly as I watch more. The highlight for me is how effectively the incredible diversity of some of the individual episodes are balanced within the telling of the larger story arcs. And as much as I love the episodes where the larger arc start coming to a head, it's the episodes like 'Vincent and the Doctor' tossed into the mix of it that make the show so special for me. Just out of curiosity, how does this reincarnation of the doctor compare to those of the older series? I absolutely love him, and I'm having a little trouble imagining any other Doctor.
Always the case! My first Doctor was Christopher Eccleston. He regenerated fairly quickly, and I decided that I hated the new guy within seconds of his first appearance. By the end of his first full episode, I'd forgotten the role was ever played by anyone else.

Certainly of the three modern Doctors, they're all impeccable actors, and they're all, for all their differences, unmistakably the Doctor. Each one puts a little more emphasis on different qualities - Chris was the tortured one, David was the slick one, Matt's the goofy one - but the actors get the role, and so a regeneration's never been anything short of an utter pleasure. Doctor Who is constantly changing itself, and renewing itself, and revitalising itself. If David hadn't left, we'd never have seen Matt Smith in the role, and as much as I'd love him to stay forever, if Matt never leaves, we'll never see the next brilliant interpretation. The show can be all things to all people at all times, and its lead actor, although completely vital to everything the show is and does while he's there, is ultimately just another thing the format's bigger than.

And yes. For all the excitement of following the arcs and such, Vincent and the Doctor is properly special.

Nice to see the love for Coupling.    Sometimes I think that show gets overlooked just because everyone has moved on now.   

I did know that Moffatt was head writer for Dr. Who, but I didn't know he was behind Sherlock....going to have to look into that now.   I still think Coupling was his best work though. 
That's an opinion I can fully get behind, because you're right, it is, it's properly fantastic. I've got no idea why it isn't repeated all the time.

Still. Just wait 'til you see Sherlock. It may very well not dethrone Coupling, they're both very different shows, but it's fair to say Sherlock inherited Coupling's saber-sharp wit and snare-tight plotting, and you could argue that it fits the new show even better.

Gusset.

Okay.  Sorry, I know this is an old thread.  But I just finished the first episode of Sherlock.   OMG, it is so good!!!!  I watched part of some random episode last year, was blown away; it's been in Netflix queue all this time (I was otherwise engaged for most of last year).   :-\

Anyway, I've got time for it now and it is brilliant!!!!  If you like the snappy writing of Coupling, you will appreciate Stephen Moffat's hand in this.  This show is top notch.

Go watch it!   :metal
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline sueño

« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2013, 11:52:20 PM »
Oh, and "Captain Subtext"   ;)

Lots of that in Sherlock,  as well!
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2013, 10:02:31 AM »
Even if you don't watch the whole series, the episode entitled "Krazee Eyez Killah" needs to be seen by every man, woman and child on Earth. It is the epitome of what I love about David's humor and I don't think I've loved any comedy more than this episode.

O never really got the love for this episode. Don't get me wrong, I love it. But I loved every other Curb Your Enthusiasm episode. Maybe I need to give it another viewing. And yes, when it comes to comedy, between Seinfeld and Curb, Larry David is by far my favorite.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2013, 10:56:53 AM »
Sons of Anarchy
Game of Thrones
Fringe
Supernatural
House MD

All of these are natural options.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2013, 11:08:22 AM »
In the last 5 years I think Justified has been the best TV series out there.  I just love this show.   I've also been into Suits as well.  Great storyline and great acting.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2013, 01:07:10 PM »
Oh, and "Captain Subtext"   ;)

Lots of that in Sherlock,  as well!

I think my wife and I are going to have to check this out.  We both love Moffatt's work, and STID has turned us into fans of Cumberbatch.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline sueño

« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2013, 01:44:53 PM »
A great show to watch with someone (as most are).

As I am on my own, I just kinda talk to myself when I discover the clues.  Or enjoy the punchlines.   :sadpanda: