Author Topic: Recommend me some TV series on DVD  (Read 7515 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Recommend me some TV series on DVD
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2013, 02:31:26 PM »

The first five seasons were some of the best television of the past 10 years

If you do decide to give this a try, I'd suggest getting an entire season on DVD and watching it in a single day. Or, if you're really brave, you could try 7 seasons in a week   :corn
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2013, 02:33:06 PM »

The first five seasons were some of the best television of the past 10 years

If you do decide to give this a try, I'd suggest getting an entire season on DVD and watching it in a single day. Or, if you're really brave, you could try 7 seasons in a week   :corn
That's what I did.  :rollin

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2013, 02:35:33 PM »
The first or the second? Because there's a big difference. I did 3 seasons in 3 days (not consecutively), but never 7 seasons in a week. Given how much caffeine and sugar I went through in those single days, I can't imagine going for a whole week. Still, very impressive.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2013, 02:40:32 PM »
Doctor Who
Farscape
Warehouse 13

I love this show! It's friggin' hilarious and does entertain. I only know like three people that watch it though.

My suggestions have been mentioned already....there are a ton of good series out there to keep one occupied.

A couple that are starting next week that I'm going to check out are 'The Americans' and that Kevin Bacon show 'The Following'
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2013, 03:01:27 PM »
seconding (thirding? fourthing?) the nominations for:

Doctor Who
Firefly
Sherlock
Game of Thrones

do it.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2013, 03:12:16 PM »
Twin Peaks, if you haven't seen it yet. Probably my favourite non-comedy series of all time.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2013, 04:35:48 PM »
The first or the second? Because there's a big difference. I did 3 seasons in 3 days (not consecutively), but never 7 seasons in a week. Given how much caffeine and sugar I went through in those single days, I can't imagine going for a whole week. Still, very impressive.
Obviously the first one.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2013, 05:02:07 PM »
I saw someone claim they watched every season of 24 in one weekend.  The logistics don't really work on that. 

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2013, 05:18:29 PM »
Twin Peaks, if you haven't seen it yet. Probably my favourite non-comedy series of all time.

Absolutely this.  There are parts of Twin Peaks that are a bit dated, but the core story is just :metal

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2013, 07:11:32 PM »
I saw someone claim they watched every season of 24 in one weekend.  The logistics don't really work on that.

yeah, considering it would take you basically 17 hours to watch each season (roughly 42 minutes per episode), it would take 3.5 straight days to watch just five seasons.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2013, 08:02:48 PM »
Dead Like Me. It's a damn shame what happened to that show.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2013, 08:37:18 PM »
Doctor Who
Farscape
Warehouse 13

I love this show! It's friggin' hilarious and does entertain. I only know like three people that watch it though.

Yeah, we just started watching last week thanks to Netflix. We have three episodes left to watch from season 3. We love it!

Also seconding Sherlock. I can't believe I forgot to mention it.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2013, 09:26:10 PM »
Game of Thrones
LOST
The Sopranos
Dexter
Sons of Anarchy
Firefly
Rescue Me
Deadwood

Throwback - OZ

Right now watching Prison Break.... it RAWKS :)  I watched the first 2 seasons of Warehouse 13, but got bored after that.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:34:32 PM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2013, 09:39:26 PM »
Also, if you watch Sherlock and don't want to wait until your next deductive dose you can watch the american version - Elementary (it has Luci Liu as Watson). It's quite good, which to me came as a surprise. Not sure if it's out on dvd yet, the first season just ended a week or so ago.

One more +1 for Dead Like Me. I loved that show. Speaking of amazing yet cancelled shows - Raines starring the awesome Jeff Goldblum.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2013, 09:51:11 PM »

The consensus for the best comedies of the past decade or so are:

The Office (UK)
Arrested Development

Where is this consensus you speak of?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2013, 09:56:35 PM »
I'd definitely agree with GuineaPig's posted 'consensus' on comedies and especially dramas. While I'm not quite as enthusiastic as most when it comes to Arrested Development, those two do seem to be the most critically acclaimed comedies of the last decade, and it's not even close.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2013, 09:59:48 PM »
I'm an old man...I've been watching TV a long time.   I have followed some of the funniest shows in the history of TV.   Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, certain seasons of MASH....among others.

I'm telling you right now...please...if you want to die laughing (because I always do)....IMO, the funniest show in the HISTORY of TV is the British version of Coupling.   There were four series...please watch them now.     

At least half the episodes I have to pause my DVD player until the pain of my sides splitting with laughter have subsided.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2013, 11:03:10 PM »

The Office (UK)
Arrested Development

Where is this consensus you speak of?

Just what critics generally think.  Here's Metacritic's '00s in review (for TV) compendium.  Here's another list from a bunch of critics.  The Office even gets a bit of a handicap because it's Britishness leads it to being excluded from some lists.

Generally, Arrested Development is viewed to be the funniest and The Office the most poignant/influential.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2013, 08:21:51 AM »
I'm telling you right now...please...if you want to die laughing (because I always do)....IMO, the funniest show in the HISTORY of TV is the British version of Coupling.   There were four series...please watch them now.
Ahh yea that is a good one! Haven't seen that show in a while so i didn't remember it at first. Richard Coyle was funny as hell!  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2013, 11:13:02 AM »
The 5 "Great Dramas" are:

The Wire
Deadwood
The Sopranos
Mad Men
Breaking Bad

Those are all essential (you've watched Breaking Bad, so get on the rest of them!)

The Office (UK)
Arrested Development

After that there are a whole bunch of great comedies like Party Down, Archer, The Thick of It, 30 Rock, etc.

As for miniseries, you mentioned you liked Band of Brothers, so I'd definitely recommend its successor The Pacific, as well as Generation Kill.

All of this (though I personally haven't seen past the first four or five episodes of Deadwood).
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2013, 04:51:24 PM »
Deadwood is great

Offline robwebster

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2013, 04:58:52 PM »
I'm an old man...I've been watching TV a long time.   I have followed some of the funniest shows in the history of TV.   Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, certain seasons of MASH....among others.

At least half the episodes I have to pause my DVD player until the pain of my sides splitting with laughter have subsided.
It's bloody fantastic, isn't it?

The head writer, coincidentally, went on to create Sherlock, which has been suggested a lot in this thread, and is also the current head writer of Doctor Who, likewise. OP - I'd recommend all three of them.

Spectacularly intelligent comedy, spectacularly intricate mysteries, or spectacularly exciting fantasy. Take your pick!

If you're interested in a more scifi show, maybe Doctor Who, which I've recently gotten into thanks to Rob.
Excellent!! How are you liking it?

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2013, 07:51:50 AM »
Okay, I'll start with Game Of Thrones and The Office.
Some of the recommendations are quite expensive here in Germany, so I added them to my wishlist.

Thanks again, girls!  :hat
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2013, 12:13:58 PM »
If you're interested in a more scifi show, maybe Doctor Who, which I've recently gotten into thanks to Rob.

It's brilliant! I just finished season 6 episode 7: A Good Man Goes to War. Definitely my favorite episode of season 6 so far. I think it's safe to say that I've been enjoying it increasingly as I watch more. The highlight for me is how effectively the incredible diversity of some of the individual episodes are balanced within the telling of the larger story arcs. And as much as I love the episodes where the larger arc start coming to a head, it's the episodes like 'Vincent and the Doctor' tossed into the mix of it that make the show so special for me. Just out of curiosity, how does this reincarnation of the doctor compare to those of the older series? I absolutely love him, and I'm having a little trouble imagining any other Doctor.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2013, 12:28:53 PM »
Nice to see the love for Coupling.    Sometimes I think that show gets overlooked just because everyone has moved on now.   

I did know that Moffatt was head writer for Dr. Who, but I didn't know he was behind Sherlock....going to have to look into that now.   I still think Coupling was his best work though. 

Offline robwebster

« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2013, 12:56:36 PM »

It's brilliant! I just finished season 6 episode 7: A Good Man Goes to War. Definitely my favorite episode of season 6 so far. I think it's safe to say that I've been enjoying it increasingly as I watch more. The highlight for me is how effectively the incredible diversity of some of the individual episodes are balanced within the telling of the larger story arcs. And as much as I love the episodes where the larger arc start coming to a head, it's the episodes like 'Vincent and the Doctor' tossed into the mix of it that make the show so special for me. Just out of curiosity, how does this reincarnation of the doctor compare to those of the older series? I absolutely love him, and I'm having a little trouble imagining any other Doctor.
Always the case! My first Doctor was Christopher Eccleston. He regenerated fairly quickly, and I decided that I hated the new guy within seconds of his first appearance. By the end of his first full episode, I'd forgotten the role was ever played by anyone else.

Certainly of the three modern Doctors, they're all impeccable actors, and they're all, for all their differences, unmistakably the Doctor. Each one puts a little more emphasis on different qualities - Chris was the tortured one, David was the slick one, Matt's the goofy one - but the actors get the role, and so a regeneration's never been anything short of an utter pleasure. Doctor Who is constantly changing itself, and renewing itself, and revitalising itself. If David hadn't left, we'd never have seen Matt Smith in the role, and as much as I'd love him to stay forever, if Matt never leaves, we'll never see the next brilliant interpretation. The show can be all things to all people at all times, and its lead actor, although completely vital to everything the show is and does while he's there, is ultimately just another thing the format's bigger than.

And yes. For all the excitement of following the arcs and such, Vincent and the Doctor is properly special.

Nice to see the love for Coupling.    Sometimes I think that show gets overlooked just because everyone has moved on now.   

I did know that Moffatt was head writer for Dr. Who, but I didn't know he was behind Sherlock....going to have to look into that now.   I still think Coupling was his best work though. 
That's an opinion I can fully get behind, because you're right, it is, it's properly fantastic. I've got no idea why it isn't repeated all the time.

Still. Just wait 'til you see Sherlock. It may very well not dethrone Coupling, they're both very different shows, but it's fair to say Sherlock inherited Coupling's saber-sharp wit and snare-tight plotting, and you could argue that it fits the new show even better.

Gusset.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2013, 01:20:30 PM »
^^^^^

Bicycle Saddle...

:P :angel:

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
Also if anyone's looking for something like The Office (or just any comedy at all really) I highly recommend Parks and Recreation. The first few episodes are OK but once it gets going it's really good. Gob from Arrested Development had held the spot of my favourite character in a comedy TV show for anlong time but Ron Swanson from Parks and Development is definitely takkng a run for it.

Seriously, check it out.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2013, 01:45:43 PM »
Thanks to this thread, I just watched the first 3 episodes of Coupling. I'm having a really tough time stopping now. It's absolutely fantastic! I'm now stuck in the giggle loop.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2013, 01:54:50 PM »
Thanks to this thread, I just watched the first 3 episodes of Coupling. I'm having a really tough time stopping now. It's absolutely fantastic! I'm now stuck in the giggle loop.
Noooo!! To know about the giggle loop is to become part of the giggle loop!

Also, the next two episodes are my favourites of the first series. Not that there's much between them - the first two are my least favourites and they're still pretty damned good. Either way, enjoy!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2013, 07:09:06 PM »
Also, I was just looking at my DVD shelves before, and realized I forgot to add in Extras, which I freaking love :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2013, 07:50:31 PM »
Noooo!! To know about the giggle loop is to become part of the giggle loop!

Also, the next two episodes are my favourites of the first series. Not that there's much between them - the first two are my least favourites and they're still pretty damned good. Either way, enjoy!

Agreed.   Series 1 is brilliant...but 2 and 3 really hit their stride IMHO.    Three especially is just non-stop laughter.    Even though Series 4 lost something without Jeff...there are some absolutely brilliant moments.   There's just not a bad show in the entire run. 

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2013, 08:26:37 PM »
Also if anyone's looking for something like The Office (or just any comedy at all really) I highly recommend Parks and Recreation. The first few episodes are OK but once it gets going it's really good. Gob from Arrested Development had held the spot of my favourite character in a comedy TV show for anlong time but Ron Swanson from Parks and Development is definitely takkng a run for it.

Seriously, check it out.
Ron Swanson is without a doubt my favorite character on television.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2013, 09:20:11 PM »
My favorites:

Supernatural
Arrested Development
Scrubs
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2013, 11:31:41 PM »
Also, I was just looking at my DVD shelves before, and realized I forgot to add in Extras, which I freaking love :lol

Are you having a laugh??
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.