Author Topic: RoSfest 2015 (Haken, Enchant, Spock's headlining)  (Read 7478 times)

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
also Daniel was p fucking sick the entire tour and the guy you saw playing rhythm guitar was the merch guy for the tour who just so happened to love PoS and knew some of the songs so he stepped in

that was his first show with them

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
also Daniel was p fucking sick the entire tour and the guy you saw playing rhythm guitar was the merch guy for the tour who just so happened to love PoS and knew some of the songs so he stepped in

that was his first show with them

I knew he was ill (though not to the degree he was), but I thought his voice sounded good at the show.

The merch guy played well, but unfortunately it was only for 2 songs I believe. Was supposed to be 3 but he left his guitar not fully plugged in for the entire opening song less the last few seconds.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Re: RoSfest 2014 (Haken, Enchant and more announced)
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2014, 01:53:40 PM »
BUMP!

Looking like 2015 is going to have some nice acts. Was going out no matter what for Haken, but now Enchant has been added!
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2014, 12:25:18 PM »
BUMP!

Looking like 2015 is going to have some nice acts. Was going out no matter what for Haken, but now Enchant has been added!

Enchant, huh?

Must see what Rush is doing first.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2014, 04:02:40 PM »
I live like 90 minutes away from where this is taking place I would definitely consider going just for Haken, but I kind of want to wait and see what other bands are going to be there first.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Re: RoSfest 2015 (Haken, Enchant, Spock's headlining)
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2015, 02:45:30 PM »
Bumping this for the sake of the many pictures and stories myself, King, and Mason will be posting.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2015, 03:00:48 PM »
I will post some pictures this week.

I have to say Haken was the highlight for me.  Spock's Beard, Enchant & Synaesthesia were also fantastic.

I was disappointed with Glass Hammer.

It was great to finally meet Mason.  We geeked out on so many music & TV topics.  It's also great to get to personally know both Mason and Nick.  The Queen had a blast.  We were too tired to go to any other the after parties.  A whole day of bands is great but tiring.  Us old farts need to hit the hay! :lol

Meeting Ted Lenord & Ed Platt was so cool.  Having diner with them Friday night was a dream come true.  Ed personally was so gracious every time we talked and we got to talk about more than music which made the conversation seem heartwarming.

Every band was gracious and always willing to talk to the fans and it made the whole 3 days a dream.  Thanks again Nick and Mason for getting together, it's something Lisa and I will never forget. (We want to go every year now!)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2015, 03:54:40 PM »
Yeah, I will be working on getting stuff up, especially photos. Just so much to go over. But the short of it was just a fantastic time, and you missed out on those after parties. Up till 3:30am on Saturday talking to a bunch of guys, including Haken, and then 3:00 on Sunday with a bunch including Enchant, was just amazing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2015, 05:28:13 PM »
Holy god. I don't know if the whole festival will turn out this good, but Spock's is pretty damn amazing, I thought.

Beware of Darkness: www.wpapu.com/sounds/SB2015-05-01BoD.mp3

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2015, 12:20:30 PM »
I'm still out of town, but I need to apologize for any future family I have , because those were the best three days of my life.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2015, 12:21:55 PM »
I'm still out of town, but I need to apologize for any future family I have , because those were the best three days of my life.

As has been so often recited by anyone spending 3 nights in a motel with me.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2015, 12:23:58 PM »

As has been so often recited by anyone spending 3 nights in a motel with me.

So that's why you looked a little disheveled Sunday morning.

Mason, we were so fanboys. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2015, 12:28:50 PM »
I'm away tonight for Enchant and Odin's Court, but will likely have my review done tomorrow. That said I likely won't post it till Friday so it's not competing with the normal Wed. podcast.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2015, 02:18:05 PM »
You should have seen me at the afterparty on Sunday.  I went all superfanboy on Enchant.  Nick is sworn to secrecy about the events, but I will let him verify I had an awesome night, particularly the very end when we left.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2015, 02:20:52 PM »
He made you pinky swear.  Soooooooo Nick. :biggrin:

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2015, 02:31:13 PM »
No, I made him.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2015, 02:52:23 PM »
I have to say Haken was the highlight for me.  Spock's Beard, Enchant & Synaesthesia were also fantastic.
I agree with that. Also like Low-Fi Resistance.  Overall a great weekend.

I was disappointed with Glass Hammer.
I saw Glass Hammer at Progscape '96.  I remember being extremely bored with their set.  I didn't even bother to go to their set this time around.

I missed out on the after parties.  Sounds like they were a lot of fun though.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2015, 12:13:14 PM »
https://wpapu.com/2015-05-07-review-rosfest-2015/

RoSfest 2015 review!

This review is quite a bit different than the norm. Instead of trying to write about over 15+ hours of music that was the RoSfest weekend, as well as the interactions between sets and at the after parties, I’ve decided to go ahead with an audio only review. You will hear a few thoughts on each set, and then for most bands a live song from their performance at RoSfest. Several acts will possibly be releasing their sets officially, and so studio tracks have been used in those instances. Below you can find links to the festival as well as all the bands. Sit back and re-live the weekend with me!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2015, 04:31:08 PM »
I will download this of course!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2020, 08:19:18 PM »
I didn’t want to start a new thread but there are news From ROSFEST FB page:

The Rites of Spring Festival says “Goodbye, for now”.

RoSfest has been a treasure in the progressive rock world for the last 17 years and it has been my privilege to produce and host one of the best progressive rock music festivals in the world, but RoSfest will officially end its 16-year run in 2020.  Dedicated to delivering the highest level of talent, production, and timing is central to what RoSfest represented; an outlet for a niche genre called Progressive Rock that provided a venue for new up and coming artists from around the globe.

Running a music festival can be breathtakingly rewarding, but also quite expensive due to production, insurance, venue rental, hotel rental, staff accommodations, band expenses, vehicle rentals, etc.   Additionally, the US government has made it harder and harder to acquire permits for working artists from around the world to perform in the US.  Increasing artist permit requirements and fees makes it almost impossible for young bands to travel abroad.  RoSfest has been a labor of love but has been struggling financially for years and can’t survive another “Covid” crisis.  Unfortunately, we are not able to keep operating the festival at a loss.

On a personal note, I feel so lucky to have been part of this organization.  To work with such an incredible staff and dedicated volunteers and to interact with the best Progressive audiophiles in the world.  RoSfest has been magical and could not have existed without YOU…. the best and most supportive audience anyone could hope for.  Without such an incredible community, RoSfest would not have been possible.  I am so thankful for all of your support and dedication throughout our festival years.

RoSfest will continue its core mission to support the art of Progressive Rock and may surprise you (at some point) with a special concert in the future.  But for now, with tearful heartfelt thanks from all of us at RoSfest, it’s been an honor to interact with such accomplished and inspiring musicians and music lovers in the progressive rock community.

In the words of RoSfest’s production manager, Kevin Madrishin, “We did it right!”

George Roldan