Author Topic: RoSfest 2015 (Haken, Enchant, Spock's headlining)  (Read 7479 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
RoSfest 2015 (Haken, Enchant, Spock's headlining)
« on: January 17, 2013, 07:53:10 PM »
Fuck. Yes.

www.rosfest.com
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 02:45:06 PM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ColdFireYYZ

I really want to go to this. I went to NEARFest last year and it was one of the best weekends of my life. RosFest is the only other prog festival that is within reasonable distance so hopefully I can convince my parents into letting me go. I haven't heard of Shadows Gallery and a couple of the other bands but TFK, Riverside, and MoeTar would be especially great to see. 

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I have to seriously think about flying up there for this now, despite the god awful timing of the event for me.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
whoa!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
I'd only want to go to Saturday.

I REALLY want to see Pain of Salvation, but Riverside in Dunellen will be my consolation prize.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
I would travel back east to see PoS and the Flower Kings, but not for that price considering I don't know any of the other bands. Oh well.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
I really want to get to this!  Hey Nick, how far is that from me?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
The Flower Kings are one of the best live bands I've ever seen - and I've seen 'em 5 times.  Outstanding performances each and every time.  I'd love a chance to see Shadow Gallery too.  Unfortunately, the rest of that lineup doesn't interest me even a tiny bit.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Pain of Salvation AND Riverside? For those of you who live near, it would be a crime not going!  :hat

Offline rogerdil

I would travel back east to see PoS and the Flower Kings, but not for that price considering I don't know any of the other bands. Oh well.

Yeah, same thing every year for me - a couple of bands i'd be interested in and that's it.  Although here the only thing that excites me is PoS and that's the five-years-ago me; don't really care about them now.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
HOLY SHIT.

Nick, if I don't go to this, you have permission to come to my place of employment and discharge a firearm directly into my left nostril.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator

Probably about 3.5 hours for you.

Well, don't forget you get PoS, TFK AND a weekend with yours truly.

Just making it easier for you to stay home. :p

Pain of Salvation AND Riverside? For those of you who live near, it would be a crime not going!  :hat

Absolutely.

And I will say, these festivals often have a lot of unknown bands on them, but they are often really good and great new discoveries, and RoSfest as a whole is fantastic and is held in a great area.

HOLY SHIT.

Nick, if I don't go to this, you have permission to come to my place of employment and discharge a firearm directly into my left nostril.

I plan on taking Monday off and coming back Monday night, but if that's okay with you and you want to go out with Jennie and I let me know.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
I am still trying to make this happen, even if it means missing the big DTF meetup at the Raleigh Opeth show.  Why couldn't this thing be one week earlier or one week later?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

Nick, I am definitely considering going.  Do you want to get a group of tickets together with some of the others here?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
3.5 hours?  You damn well better go.  Close to 10 for me if drove, so I'll probably have to fly to make this happen.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
I am still trying to make this happen, even if it means missing the big DTF meetup at the Raleigh Opeth show.  Why couldn't this thing be one week earlier or one week later?

Because then it would fall on work weekends for me, and fuck that!

Nick, I am definitely considering going.  Do you want to get a group of tickets together with some of the others here?

Definitely an option, anyone who wants to get tickets with me would just have to have the $175 (for all three nights) or $125 (for Sat/Sun) to me by Feb. 2nd.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

Because then it would fall on work weekends for me, and fuck that!

Definitely an option, anyone who wants to get tickets with me would just have to have the $175 (for all three nights) or $125 (for Sat/Sun) to me by Feb. 2nd.

Excellent.  What about hotels/motels in the area? 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
That's quite the lineup, damn. Debating whether I should go, I just wish I cared more for the bands. Seeing TFK again would be cool though.

That festival is an awesome way of chatting with your favorite bands btw. Last time I went I ran into Nick D'Virgilio in the hotel lobby, and then chatted with Frost* after their gig.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
That's quite the lineup, damn. Debating whether I should go, I just wish I cared more for the bands. Seeing TFK again would be cool though.

That festival is an awesome way of chatting with your favorite bands btw. Last time I went I ran into Nick D'Virgilio in the hotel lobby, and then chatted with Frost* after their gig.

Yeah, there is a chance to chat with every band after they perform, which is awesome. In addition the bands and staff all stay at the Eisenhower Hotel, so if you book there you'll be seeing people all day.

And John, that's one lodging option, but over $100 a night for a room (still not horrible if you split it enough ways). There are motels that you can probably find for under $60 a night.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

Yeah, there is a chance to chat with every band after they perform, which is awesome. In addition the bands and staff all stay at the Eisenhower Hotel, so if you book there you'll be seeing people all day.

And John, that's one lodging option, but over $100 a night for a room (still not horrible if you split it enough ways). There are motels that you can probably find for under $60 a night.

Sounds good.  Do you have a Paypal account?  I could send you the money before the end of next week. 

Also if anyone who plans on going is coming from the New York City/NJ area I'd be more than happy to provide transportation.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!

:lol :heart

It would just cost too much with the ticket plus airfare for me to justify it, as much as I've wanted to see PoS for years.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

It would just cost too much with the ticket plus airfare for me to justify it, as much as I've wanted to see PoS for years.

There is always justification for an awesome prog show.   ;)

Offline philmcson

Cute  :)

What do you think 'bout this festival btw?!

https://www.lastfm.de/festival/3374871+Power+Prog+-+Metal+Fest+2013

Don't want to troll, it is unlikely that I'll visit it, but to the ones who mentioned that European festivals are better than their American counterparts, seems they were right....  :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Cute  :)

What do you think 'bout this festival btw?!

https://www.lastfm.de/festival/3374871+Power+Prog+-+Metal+Fest+2013

Don't want to troll, it is unlikely that I'll visit it, but to the ones who mentioned that European festivals are better than their American counterparts, seems they were right....  :lol

Lol, there's a band called "Astra" playing. What an unfortunate name
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, I'm out.  Rush and Opeth are the same weekend in Raleigh.  The convenience factor is just too much.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...

While there's ALWAYS justification, there's not enough money to go around lately.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

While there's ALWAYS justification, there's not enough money to go around lately.

Agreed.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
My (as of now) unedited review of the festival.

============================

Another spring, another Rites of Spring festival. I have made the trip to the beautiful and historic Gettysburg twice before, but only to see one day of the festival. This was to be my first full RoSfest experience and I found it to be well worth the hype I’ve heard from long time participants and patrons.

I unfortunately had to arrive a bit late Friday evening, and as such missed the opener that night, Bolus, though Saturday night they would entertain for awhile at the after party. This meant the festival would open for me with The Flower Kings. I first got into the Roine Stolt led outfit sometime during the Paradox Hotel cycle, and became a bigger fan with each older album I then picked up. However I was quite disappointed with the follow up, The Sum and No Evil and then regrettably missed the subsequent tour, which would be there last for many years as the band took an unexpected hiatus after being one of the most prolific forces in progressive rock. Luckily the band returned last year with The Banks of Eden and I’d now have my chance to see a band that live albums had set high expectations for.

When the band was announced I could tell they were to be a fan favorite, likely because the members had made regular appearances with other projects at the festival in the years The Flower Kings were dormant. The band opened with the epic, new, opening track “Numbers”, and twenty-five minutes later I had felt that I had already gotten my money’s worth for the evening. Having seen lead guitarist Roine Stolt in several bands previously I was already aware of what a fantastic live soloist he was, but he certainly did a wonderful job reminding me. Even more impressive were his vocals which seemed spot on despite having arrived late to the states due to severe illness. And of course there was lead vocalist Hasse Froberg, whose live power and accuracy was stellar. When the two vocalists came together at parts I would say it was a perfect example of two different voices and vocal styles coming together and making something greater than the parts. New drummer (is there any other kind for The Flower Kings?) Felix Lehrmann performed both old and new material very well, and of course Tomas Bodin brought all of his wonderful sounds forth from the keyboards, and shone especially bright during an excerpt from “Stardust We Are”. Other favorites from the evening included “What If God is Alone?”, “Last Minute on Earth”, and “In the Eyes of the World”.

After the Kings wrapped up their show I set off to my hotel to check in and get unpacked, and after the exhaustion of a long day decided to skip the after party that evening which would have included a performance of Kingcrow, a move I’d come to regret after the next two nights. Off to sleep I went for a Saturday of music that would begin at the early hour of 11:00am.

The first act on Saturday was Jolly, a relatively local act hailing out of New York City. Midway through their set drummer Louis Abramson would recall the story of how Jolly came to the RoSfest stage. During hurricane Sandy his apartment, and the band’s rehearsal space where destroyed along with most of their equipment, but thanks to donations from fans, many of which were RoSfest patrons the band was able to rebuild and had toured Europe and now America with constantly rising stars Riverside. Their performance was top notch, and I think they came across better live than in the studio. The band also had a great rapport with the audience, often cracking jokes between songs, and poking fun at bassist Anthony Rondinone for a guitar strap that would break every song until duct tape was brought into the mix. That said there is a bass heavy, somewhat muddy facet to their sound that will likely always bug me. Past that bias Jolly delivered a fantastic set of well constructed songs that should please most prog fans and could even have some potential to break into some more mainstream success.

Next up was a highly anticipated act, Sweden’s Pain of Salvation. Led by prog-metal icon Daniel Gildenlow, the band has seen a drastic transformation since 2007’s Scarsick album, both in the membership of the band and the direction of the music. Luckily I enjoyed the turn in the music, and have a high regard for the bands new Road Salt albums. Sadly, having a history of great music couldn’t quite make a great show. Daniel announced near the start of the show that 2nd guitarist Ragnar Zolberg’s wife had delivered a child three months early the day before the band was supposed to leave for the states, and as such Ragnar would not be present. And while the loss of a guitarist was bad, it certainly wasn’t the only thing lacking from the show. While the performance was accurate enough it came across as uninspired, and “Ashes” in particular seemed bland. Then there was a 3 song semi-acoustic set featuring a very unique version of “Holy Diver” that, while interesting, just didn’t warrant many adjectives past that, and the same could be said for the other songs in the bunch, “Spitfall” and “Stress”. There were highlights, most notably (a sadly abbreviated) “Disco Queen”, and “The Perfect Element”. While Pain of Salvation put on a good show, I can say of the four bands I was familiar with heading into the festival they were the only ones that left me feeling a little disappointed.

Next up was Believe, a Polish act I had not heard a single note from previously, and one I don’t think many readers will be familiar with either. If that is the case, I certainly suggest you look to change that. Believe offered up a very pure form of art-rock full of emotion and a lively performance of vocalist Ragnar Zolberg who, despite an always timid RoSfest audience managed to almost Gabriel-esque lengths to be cinematic as he delivered a solid vocal performance. While the focus on the songs didn’t leave several of the musicians much individual chances to shine, the exceptions were the violin performances of Satomi, and the soloing of Mirek Gil. For those who are familiar with Pendragon, I say that Mirek is similar to Nick Barrett in that his solos are very often memorable, and able draw your complete focus while adding to the song instead of seeming like an outside afterthought or obligation. Several tracks were played from the upcoming June release The Warmest Sun in Winter, and were good enough that I pre-ordered it from my phone at the hotel that night.

The final band on Saturday would be Riverside, another Polish act that managed to create a lot of buzz early on in their career and that seems to be able to build on that with every subsequent album. Having seen them previously on the Out of Myself Tour I had an idea of what to expect from them, but was still blown away by their performance. Mariusz Duda solidified himself as one of my favorite bassist/vocalists, just shy of Geddy Lee, and guitarist Piotr Grudziński was like an optical illusion, a large intimidating figure on stage that played some of the most soulful solos of the day. The band showed their focus on the present and future playing a set that leaned heavily towards their two newest albums. And it’s from those albums that “Egoist Hedonist” and “Feel Like Falling”, the two highlights of the evening came from. Also of note was an excellent ending to “Escalator Shrine” where the lights turned off and the outro tape rolled as the band exited the stage in order to give the impression once the lights came back on that the band had disappeared. Thankfully they came back for a long encore to end the evening.

With the days shows in the bag I took a few minutes back at my hotel to get things in order and then headed to the after party. Along with many of the festivals patrons the party was attended by Bolus, Jolly, most of Pain of Salvation, Believe, Riverside, and some of Shadow Gallery. It was a unique opportunity to not only celebrate and mingle with fellow fans, but to have an informal experience with many of the acts that were playing the festival. I was able to talk with D.C. Cooper about his various projects and the next nights guest appearance with Shadow Gallery, was able to talk with Mariusz Duda about touring the states and the differences in touring different places, was able to talk with the rest of Riverside as they passed a bottle of vodka around with the members of Believe and recalled funny stories about the tour thus far, and was able to get a few more good stories from Jolly after they had consumed a bit of jolly juice!

It’s at this point I must give a general glowing endorsement to the organizers of RoSfest. The show takes place at a beautiful theater, the sound has ranged from good to fantastic every show I’ve seen there, they bring acts in from all over the world that would otherwise not be able to play the US or that couldn’t tour the US without the initial festival support. In addition the light show for all the bands was amazing, especially considering the work that went into it for what was, for many, a one off affair. The vendors the festival attracts and everyone associated with it is pleasant and they make the weekend an incredible experience. Now… onto Sunday!

Sunday began again at 11:00am with another unknown band for me, Dream the Electric Sleep. The Kentucky three-piece started with a soft intro that built into a wonderful song that was the perfect way to shake off the prior night’s festivities and start the day. From there on the band amazed me, playing songs from their debut album, Lost and Gone Forever, and an album due out sometime this year. For the most part drummer Joey Waters was never flashy or overly complicated, but had a nice bag of different rhythms and patterns that I loved to follow along with, and bassist Chris Tackett played with a very clean Chris Squire-esque bass tone that made picking out his fantastic work easy. It was a very easy decision to pick up their album immediately following their set. Unfortunately I did have to miss MoeTar and Electric Astrurias. However the latter, an instrumental outfit from Japan, did end up garnishing gushing reviews from friends and patrons I would talk to later in the day.

The final act of the festival was Pennsylvania’s own, Shadow Gallery. Sadly the band’s in ear monitor system went out as the band was setting up, which caused delays as a monitor system had to be hooked up, and as is often the case with such last minute problems the band commented that night after the show about not being able to hear one another. That didn’t stop the band from putting on a fantastic show. A good start was the one-two punch of “Room V” and “Andromeda Strain”. With far more energy and metal infused excitement than any other band at the festival that year, or probably ever, the band either seemed to either invigorate or estrange the crowd.  You could see parts of the crowd get more animated than during any other point in the festival, and you could also see a few old school prog-rockers thinking “these damn kids and their metal!” Despite the sound problems Shadow Gallery stayed tight for most of the night, and on my third time seeing them they brought themselves to a new high as D.C. Cooper came on stage to perform “New World Order”. Despite never having rehearsed the song with the band (sound check cut due to problems) they performed it flawlessly, while D.C. and Shadow Gallery vocalist Brian Ashland acted out a perfect performance of their respective characters in the song. And as if the 4 part vocal lines performed throughout Shadow Gallery’s set weren’t enough, D.C. managed to take things to a new level with his fifth part. Although an intro, and part of drummer Joe Nevolo’s amazing solo were cut due to time concerns, “Crystalline Dreams” managed to be saved when at the very end of  “Gold Dust” bassist Carl Cadden-James looked at the clock and got everyone to start the song in time to finish just a minute or two shy of curfew.

After another after party spent mixing with friends and talking with Shadow Gallery about their future plans RoSfest came to a close for me just after 3am on Monday morning. My only major complaints came from what was missed. Missing Kingcrow Friday night and the two acts Sunday, and missing a full band for Pain of Salvation. Pretty much every other bit of the festival met or exceeded my expectations and I would recommend anyone in the Northeast check it out if they ever need a progcation.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
Great read, Nick! Vielen Dank!  :tup
This is one of the festivals I'd LOVE to attend one day, but it won't happen due to me being dependent on school breaks - and there is none, but a regular weekend...  :-[ Know George Roldan for years now from the internet, as well as other RoSfest regulars.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Fantastic read Nick.  I wish you saw Moe Tar Nick.  I like the album I have of them and wondered how they were live.  Like I've said before I've been getting into Jolly.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
I picked up the first Jolly album at the show and after one listen I probably prefer it to the two Audio Guide albums. It doesn't really have that super muddy sound I dislike.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

I was there also, but I haven't gotten around to writing a full review. Nick's review is excellent, but I'll just write some brief comments on each band.

Bolus: A great start to the weekend, despite sound problems. I wish I knew they were playing the afterparty, as I wouldn't have skipped it if I had known. Their music is very catchy and pretty accessible.

The Flower Kings: Even though Roine was sick, I still loved their set. I was very impressed with the new drummer (he was also very prominent and clear in the mix) and the others were obviously great as well. This was the first time I had ever heard What If God Is Alone and I really loved it. I went and found Paradox Hotel in the vendor room the next day. Numbers and Rising The Imperial were great choices from the new album, but I would have liked to have heard For The Love of Gold. Still, I can't complain since the show was still excellent under bad circumstances.

Jolly: A fun way to start the day Saturday. I have their first album, and I listened to the two Audio Guide albums on Progstreaming, so I knew what they'd be like. They are definitely a better live band, even though I liked the studio albums. I bought The Audio Guide to Happiness Part Two, and it included a free download of Part One, which was pretty nice.

Pain of Salvation: I was familiar with Remedy Lane, and I listened to a couple of their other albums once or twice before. So, I was pretty much unfamiliar with much of the set. The advantage was I didn't really have any sort of expectations for them (I know some don't like the direction they've gone in) so I enjoyed their performance. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either.

Believe: Probably the highlight of the festival. I listened to the newest album once when it was featured on Progstreaming last week. I was blown away, and I was very happy to see the new stuff live. Even after only hearing the album once, I immediately recognized all the new songs. They were a very memorable band, and I can see why they got a two hour slot. Any fan of symph-prog should check these guys out!

Riverside: My second favorite show of the festival (there seems to be a lot of great new prog coming from Poland). The new stuff was very well-received live, as they played them flawlessly. I was very surprised that we got an extra encore song, Celebrity Touch, as I think this was the first time they played in on the tour in the US. I loved Left Out, as ADHD is my favorite Riverside album. SONGS is my second favorite, so there was no opposition from me regarding them playing mostly new stuff!

Dream The Electric Sleep: I had downloaded their debut (it's free on Bandcamp - I did end up buying a physical copy) and liked it, so I was expecting a good show. However, the new stuff was what impressed me the most. I can't wait to get their new album, and hopefully they will gain many more fans. They were extremely enthusiastic and very appreciative of the audience and deserve to be playing at festivals like RosFest, imo. They kind of have a sludgey sound at times, which made them stand out from the rest of the bands.

MoeTar: The crowd either absolutely loved them, or just didn't get them at all. I was in the first category. I think most didn't care for the quirky (for lack of a better word) aspect of their music, as they're not a traditional prog band. They were one of my most anticipated performances, and they didn't disappoint! I love their album, and Moorea Dickason is one of my favorite modern prog vocalists. The band was extremely tight live and they played several new tunes. One was a "honky-tonk prog" song, which left some prog snobs sneering. I loved it and thought it was brilliant and a lot of fun. Other favorites were Ist or an Ism and Dichotomy.

Electric Asturias: They were probably the most popular band of the weekend. They have a fantastic violinist, who was very prominent in the music. The act was instrumental, and all the musicians were on top of their game. They had some classical and some fusion influences, and everything flowed perfectly. Most of the members didn't speak fluent English, but they all had short and often humorous speeches prepared, which they each recited between songs. And some guys in the crowd thought it would be hilarious to yell "domo arigato" in between almost every single song.  ::)

Shadow Gallery: I liked them but I think I would have enjoyed them more if I didn't see them as part of a festival lineup. I wasn't really in the mood for prog metal, especially after seeing Asturias. Still, I liked their show and I'd see them live again if I had the oppurtunity to do so. I loved the Tyranny stuff, as that was all I was familiar with. Picked up Room V, and I'll probably end up getting Digital Ghosts soon too.

This was my first, and likely only, RosFest experience. I'm starting college next year, and apparently finals are always around the first week of May - right when RosFest takes place. I'm glad I was able to go at least once, as it was an incredible three days in a wonderful setting!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Nice comments ColdFire, looks like we had many similar impressions.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
hey Nick I saw you here but I wasn't completely sure it was you lol