Author Topic: I am the Evil Top 50  (Read 7192 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: I am the Evil Top 50
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2013, 09:03:13 AM »
A mixed batch for me. I don't like Endless Sacrifice that much anymore, and I hate SDV, but the rest are pretty good.  :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2013, 12:24:12 PM »
Endless Sacrifice is awesome.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2013, 03:35:48 PM »
SDV and TGD are a bit too low for me, they would both be in the top20 I think, while ES is reeeeally high and PMU maybe just bit low. Good batch overall  :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2013, 09:10:52 AM »
@Blob - I'm pretty sure I will get that reaction from you often as my list goes on :D

As a general note, I realize my scores seem high.  I explained before some of it is just my DT fanboyism, however looking over the list I realized that most of it is due to how I artificially constrained my scoring.  For some unknown to me now reasons, I forced the plating and originality scores to 1 point increments and the taste to .5 increments.  Looking at it now, if I had done all categories on a .25 scaling the scores would drop overall and the list would be basically the same (most songs would have moved no more than 1 or 2 places up or down).  I had started to do that a month or so ago, but wasn't in a hurry because I figured I had another couple of months before I had to do my list before the top 50 format change.  ::)

On to my write-ups:

30 - Wither
  • Final Score: 8.75
  • Plating: 5
  • Originality: 3
  • Taste: 9.5
Deep Thoughts:
While Wither is "just" a straight forward power ballad, it is the most well constructed song on Black Clouds & Silver Linings.   Powerful, well written lyrics, catchy chorus, and absolutely no filler.  This song felt like a swan song and farewell to me the first time I listened to it.  In many ways it seemed to be foreshadowing the troubles and changes to come and the official video for the song makes a great farewell to Portnoy.  It may not be their best ballad, but it is damn close.

29 - Finally Free
  • Final Score: 9.00
  • Plating: 4
  • Originality: 5
  • Taste: 9.0
Deep Thoughts:
The conclusion to Scenes From A Memory does a marvelous job of wrapping up the story that is Scenes.  Filling in the details with wonderful lyrical and musical interplay that lead up to the mysterious open ending.  Having never watched or listened to Live Scenes until "recently" (The first live Dream Theater album I bought was Once in a Livetime and it sort of put me off of them until I got Score as a gift), the ending was always this strange mysterious thing without the final few seconds that are included in the live show.  I wish they had included the gunshot at the end of the album, it would have created better closure.  That said the last 3 minutes or so of the song create a good wrap to a strong album.

28 - Panic Attack
  • Originality: 4
Deep Thoughts:
This frantic song does several things very well.  The opening notes create a sense of tension and chaos that I feel perfectly captures the lyrical theme of the song.  While similar in theme to Constant Motion, this song is miles above the other both lyrically and musically.  This song also highlights Myung, the bass work drives the music and lays the bed for the rest of the players.

27 - These Walls
Deep Thoughts:
Octavarium is one of my top albums because of the range of the Dream Theater sound it encapsulates.  These Walls is one of those songs that combines several elements of the band's sound very well.   Lyrically the song is built in the same vein as some of their ballads, but musically the song carries an aggression and darkness that hearkens back to Awake.  The musical bed underneath the vocals is more complex than it appears and makes what could have been a simple pop-style ballad into a wonderfully deep musical arrangement all wrapped in a tight package without any fluff or "wank".

26 - In The Name of God

Deep Thoughts:
In many ways this is the best song from Train of Thought.  Strong lyrical imagery, soaring vocals, and a powerful prog-metal sound that is very much signature Dream Theater, all that is missing is a "crazy unison" section.  While lengthy, In The Name Of God doesn't feel as long as the 14 minute run time would suggest because the instrumental bridge is so well constructed, unlike songs like A Nightmare To Remember or In The Presence Of Enemies pt. 2.  This maintains a tight feel to the piece.  It also features some great stick work by Myung and the "hidden" Battle Hymn of the Republic during the outro completes this masterful song.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2013, 09:18:07 AM »
Great batch!
Agreed on your write-ups for These Walls and ITNOG, both of which I'd rank as the best on the album (although it's a close call with the title track for These Walls). Panic Attack and Finally free are both also excellent, and Wither is pretty good, especially that tasty solo.
I'd place ITNOG much higher (top 5 easily for me), and I'd probably rank These Walls similarly to you, if not *slightly* higher. The rest I probably wouldn't rank quite as high, but I still love them.

Offline Naikon

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2013, 10:10:55 AM »
I think its nice aswell, though Id place Finally Free and INTOG higher too!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2013, 01:31:16 PM »
I always thought that Finally Free was a little overrated. Great, yes, but no-where near the best that Scenes has to offer and certainly not a Top 50 song for me. I still enjoy it, but pretty much everyone seems to enjoy it more than me. :dunno:

The rest is awesome, props for Wither. I really, really like it a lot.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2013, 05:54:14 PM »
Your talking about the rehearsal ending they named '00 metrop. Overture? That is one part I really ficking lov, just those few seconds have this majestic feel and a great way to end the fadeout.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2013, 06:58:45 PM »
Nice update, great to see Panic Attack!

Offline Glass Moonlight

• You can ride the red until everybody smiles
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2013, 05:01:40 AM »
Sweet, These Walls is great.
When someone says my heart needs lifting
Don't ask how come, ask how high!

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2013, 09:48:52 AM »
Plugging right along...Here are the last few song that didn't make my top 20.

25 - Outcry
Deep Thoughts:
One of the four prog mini-epics on A Dramatic Turn Of Events, Outcry is the one I had the hardest time getting into.  The lyrics were powerful and do a good job of encapsulating the recent rebellions and tensions in middle east (or the concept of rebellion in general).  What lost me was the instrumental section, it seemed out of place, almost like another song.  After subsequent listens I began to appreciate the construction of this section, that I still feel is a touch long, but does a good job of creating a story of tension and struggle.

24 - 6:00
Deep Thoughts:
While not the best opening song on a Dream Theater album, this song is the best opener of any Dream Theater album.  It sets the tone of this dark, moody album from the very beginning with the aggressive vocals and driving rhythm.  6:00 lets you know from the first notes that this was not going to be as "light" an album as Images & Words, that the metal in the metal-prog relationship was going to be the driving force while not backing off the prog one bit.  Moore's keyboard work shines in this song, you hear that although the song is "heavy" he will still lay out all of the atmospheric keyboard work that he had on previous albums.

23 - Lost Not Forgotten
Deep Thoughts:
I enjoyed this song from opening to close the first time I listened A Dramatic Turn Of Events.  Jordan breaks out his wonderful piano work in the intro leading to the soaring opening many find reminiscent of Under A Glass Moon.  While a little more "fantastic" than the rest of the lyrics on the album I enjoyed the story being told, LaBrie sells the song with his aggressive delivery, and the chorus is memorable.  It also includes the most insane unison section that Dream Theater has ever done in the infamous "tickle section".  Like much of A Dramatic Turn Of Events this song is tightly composed and that sets it above Outcry.

22 - Peruvian Skies
Deep Thoughts:
This dark song is a lyrical masterpiece that grabs you from the opening note and carries you until to the end.  LaBrie delivers the vocals flawlessly, emotion oozing from the speakers.  The music underneath is tuned to be dark, driven by Myung's bass work giving the song great weight.  This song also features one of my favorite Petrucci solo sections around the 4 minute mark.  Not long, but it works itself well into the song without feeling like it stands out from the rest and makes liars out of those who feel Petrucci doesn't play with "emotion".  The live performance from the High Voltage show during the last tour was amazing.

21 - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Deep Thoughts:
The epic of epic songs (and it is one song).  After buying the album and checking out the track listing of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, I couldn't wait to hit disk 2 and the epic piece I saw listed there.  I was not disappointed.  While many of the individual parts can stand alone this song is well connected from the beginning overture to the final notes, musically and lyrically.  It features some of my favorite individual Dream Theater pieces.  The Overture is one of the most symphonic instrumental pieces the band has done.  Solitary shell would be a top 5 track for me if I separated it from the overall piece.  About to Crash and the Reprise would also be in my top 20.   However, unlike the other 2 "grand" epics from the band, there are some low points that keep this masterpiece out of my top 20 (War Inside My Head and Goodnight Kiss).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2013, 09:51:43 AM »
As I seen to have said a lot lately, I would rank Outcry extremely lowly, but the rest are all great songs. :tup
All deserving of their spots, although I'd SDOIT about 20 spots higher. :hat Absolutely no weak points imo.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2013, 10:15:42 AM »
All good songs.

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2013, 10:31:17 AM »
As I seen to have said a lot lately, I would rank Outcry extremely lowly, but the rest are all great songs. :tup
All deserving of their spots, although I'd SDOIT about 20 spots higher. :hat Absolutely no weak points imo.

I love 6DOIT, if you just asked me to list off my favorite DT songs without much thought it would be one of my top picks.  But for this list I wanted to be as objective as I could so I ranked each section independently and then compiled a composite score for the entire piece.  What surprised me was how poorly a few of the sections scored individually...within the context of the overall piece they aren't bad, but stand alone I don't find them appealing.  So I actually added about a half point to 6DOIT's composite score to lift it up my list.

I'm comfortable with where it came out in the rankings, but if I was just grabbing a dozen or so DT songs to take with me on a trip or something...it would be in that group.

Offline Glass Moonlight

• You can ride the red until everybody smiles
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2013, 10:49:49 AM »
^:00 is good, Six Degrees is too low!!
When someone says my heart needs lifting
Don't ask how come, ask how high!

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2013, 10:51:25 AM »
^:00 is good, ^ Degrees is too low!!

Fixed it for you.  :laugh:
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2013, 10:52:09 AM »
6:00 is awesome, Six Degrees is meh, the rest are ok.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2013, 12:17:58 PM »
Outcry holds a place in my heart because of the message in the lyrics like "Freedom has
A price, the cost is buried in the ground" Its true of my ancestors past whom really had to fight for freedom, yet it rings true today only the supressor is subtle.

Simple lyrics really dont turn me off of a song, and I cant grasp how it can turn someone off. I enjoy the message. What turns me off isn't the words but the delivery,

I like your list so far.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2013, 12:41:18 PM »
LNF is about 10 spots too low IMO. :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2013, 08:12:38 PM »

I love 6DOIT, if you just asked me to list off my favorite DT songs without much thought it would be one of my top picks.  But for this list I wanted to be as objective as I could so I ranked each section independently and then compiled a composite score for the entire piece.  What surprised me was how poorly a few of the sections scored individually...within the context of the overall piece they aren't bad, but stand alone I don't find them appealing.  So I actually added about a half point to 6DOIT's composite score to lift it up my list.

I'm comfortable with where it came out in the rankings, but if I was just grabbing a dozen or so DT songs to take with me on a trip or something...it would be in that group.

Hey, it's your list, so you rank it however you want! I actually like the approach you're taking to ranking these as something a bit different, and a bit more "objective" (still subjective, but you know what I mean). :tup

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2013, 09:43:13 AM »
I am going to drop to fewer songs per update to make the list extend for a few more days.  I get the feeling this update might be out in left field a bit, but hey it is what makes these lists fun.   :biggrin:

20 - Forsaken
  • Taste: 10.0
Deep Thoughts:
Forsaken is the best song from Systematic Chaos.  The opening piano melody is memorable and lays out a musical theme that is carried throughout the entire song.  While some cringe at the "vampire" lyrics I get the feeling that reaction has more to do with the popularity of Twilight and other vampire media than an actual reaction to the song.  Lyrically, the story that is being told is well constructed, has a catchy chorus, sports a gothic feel, and is delivered masterfully by LaBrie.  This song should have been the first single from Systematic Chaos and I think would have made a much better showing for the album than Constant Motion.  Beyond the lyrical construction what makes Forsaken take the top spot on the album is how tightly constructed the song is.  It is just the right length and isn't filled with ill-fitting instrumental breaks which is something that was rare on either Systematic Chaos or Black Clouds & Silver Linings.

19 - Take Away My Pain
  • Taste: 10.0
Deep Thoughts:
The straight forward, mainstream vibe of this song should have made it a one of Dream Theater's greatest hits, but this is Dream Theater after all and a song like this will often be passed over by fans and non-fans alike.  Until A Dramatic Turn Of Events, I felt this was the most emotional song in the band's catalog.  This song takes me on a journey every time I listen to it, I find it comforting and inspirational.  It came out shortly after I had lost 3 close friends in a matter of a year and I still tear up even after so much time has passed when I listen to it.  Take Away My Pain is one of the few Dream Theater songs I can sing front to back from memory.  Whether it is the album version or the "Kenny G" version I don't care, I love this song.  The only thing keeping it from being in my top 10 is the lack of musical depth that I associate with Dream Theater.

18 - Lifting Shadows Off a Dream
  • Final Score: 9.25
Deep Thoughts:
Lifting Shadows is the light and beautiful break on the dark Awake album.  The song contains some of the most poetic lyrics in the band's history and captures the essence of Myung songwriting that was missing from Six Degrees through Black Clouds.  While Moore's keyboard work on the whole album created a powerful atmosphere for the band it shines most strongly in this song.

17 - Lie
Deep Thoughts:
This driving metal piece is one of the few Dream Theater pieces that just makes me smile.  The lyrics are playfully built around word play and delivered by LaBrie with just the right mix of lilt and aggression.  I didn't pick up awake until after the Change of Seasons EP was released and I was big into the Magic The Gathering tournament scene back then and the opening lyrics of this song always reminded me of the art on this card.  The rhythm section built by Portnoy, Myung, and Moore drive throughout the entire song and keep it moving forward allowing Petrucci and LaBrie to ride on top of that firm foundation in a way that highlights both of their skills beautifully.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2013, 10:17:25 AM »
For me that is a really crappy bunch, ie. none of those songs have any chance of making my top 50. :lol

Imagine that The Mirror and Caught in a Web are brother and sister, and they have an inbred baby. That baby would be Lie.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2013, 10:27:07 AM »
And I thought my list would be controversial... :lol It'll be interesting to see the top songs!

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2013, 10:46:45 AM »
Lifting Shadows Off a Dream is very underrated, great to see it this high.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2013, 02:17:49 PM »
I really like this list, even though I would probably make other choices for my top 50. I enjoy that Repentance is on your list.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2013, 03:00:16 PM »
Lifting Shadows Off a Dream is very underrated, great to see it this high.

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2013, 09:34:30 AM »
16 - On the Backs of Angels
Deep Thoughts:
The opening track from A Dramatic Turn Of Events is a song that I haven't grown tired of.  The ethereal opening with just a hint of darkness that builds up to the chorus gives me chills.  Vocally it is a strong piece where LaBrie uses some interesting and surprising technique, instead of the soaring chorus that you expect you get a more subdued delivery that feels comfortable and right for this song.  This song also established that Rudess would be using every tool in his keyboard bag of tricks on this album.  The solos are tight, well constructed, and keeps the piece from feeling like a 9 minute long song.  There is also some great play in the outtro that makes me smile everytime I hear it.  After the gut-wrenching anticipation waiting for this release to hear what the "new" Dream Theater was going to sound like, it was so pleasing to hear a song that boldly proclaimed they were still Dream Theater and they could still make music that pulled from all of their old tricks and introduced new ones.

15 - Learning to Live
Deep Thoughts:
Learning To Live is a strong track that has some great keyboard work by Moore, fantastic Myung bass lines, and is full of that oh so rare Myung lyrical goodness.  LaBrie delivers the emotion and performs some of his greatest moments vocally.  This song is rather low-key by Dream Theater standards and though it includes soaring vocals it never lifts the mood that is being presented.  That determined, striving to survive, almost depressed mood that is laid out in the lyrics is perfectly mirrored by the band throughout this track and makes it a strong emotional piece.

14 - As I Am
Deep Thoughts:
The slow build intro to As I Am works well as both the introduction of the song and the introduction of the album.  The mood of those first notes announced that this album was going to be something heavier and darker than previous fare.  Lyrically I love this song.  The lyrics of self-empowerment no matter what the world wants to make you conform to are like a mantra to me.  The song is also riddled with word play that enhances the overall quality of the lyrics.  While the music is nothing truly innovative in the band's catalog it is by no means "phoned in " and does drive the song, giving it a hard edge.  Overall, As I Am ranks so highly for me on the lyrical prowess alone.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2013, 09:50:34 AM »
Pleasantly surprised to see As I Am so high! I'd also rank it quite high. Maybe top 20 too.

LTL and OTBOA are ok, but I don't rank them very highly. LTL because of the weak vocal melodies, and OTBOA just feels really sterile to me.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2013, 09:52:43 AM »
 :tup

Very nice group! I've always thought Learning To Live missed an opportunity by not have some heavy elements in it but I'll listen to it with your thoughts in mind and see if my opinion evolves.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2013, 10:23:42 AM »
One awesome song, one good song, and one not so good song.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2013, 12:20:55 PM »
OTBOA is the first song that I heard by the band.  Caught it on a video after a Rush in Cleveland show on TV.  I initally thought the band was Metalica.  My first thought was great, a rocking band with keyboards and a singer that I can understand, who is this new band.  I was shocked when I looked them up and saw this was a veteran band.

Cannot wait to see them live. :metal
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2013, 08:57:08 AM »
This update is all Portnoy all the time.

13 - Home
  • Final Score: 9.50
Deep Thoughts:
I love the "Floydian" intro to this song that sets the tone for one of my top songs from Scenes From A Memory.  Home connects many of the common lyrical and thematic elements from Scenes and Metropolis pt. 1.  The disturbing nature of the lyrics combined with the music underneath give you a dark glimpse into the "villain" of our story.  The section in the middle filled with vice and debauchery show an sharp contrast to the "pure" vision of Victoria as seen through the eyes of Nicholas.  Musically it is one of the most involved and complex tracks on the album and stands as a complete song, unlike some of the others tracks on the album.

12 - The Mirror
  • Final Score: 9.50
Deep Thoughts:
The first glimpse for most fans into the addiction problems that Portnoy was facing is also a damn good track.  The pulsing drive of the intro lead into a monster performance by LaBrie, that covers a wide range both musically and expressively.  Like most of Awake, Moore's keyboard work in this song is masterful and he both layers on atmosphere and comes to the forefront with equal strength.  Lyrically Mirror is the apex of Portnoy's time with band.  (@Blob- notice I did rate Mirror higher than Lie :p)

11 - A Change of Seasons
  • Final Score: 9.5
Deep Thoughts:
This was the hardest song for me to evaluate objectively in the Dream Theater catalog.  It is the epic by which all of the band's other epics rightly should be judged.  When I bought the EP, A Change of Seasons became the single song that defined what I loved about Dream Theater.  It is a musical and lyrical powerhouse that tells a sweeping and emotional story.  This song is also the most consistent of the "big three" epics (Seasons, Octavarium, and Six Degrees).  Although it never reaches the heights of the other two, it has fewer low spots.  However, over the years Seasons has slowly moved down my list falling from my top 1, to my top 5, then my top 10, and only recently it has come to rest just outside of my top 10.  This has less to do with any glaring weaknesses in the song, but more that newer material, with a couple of exceptions, has expanded upon every foundation this song laid out and surpassed it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2013, 09:12:14 AM »
Home and ACOS are both overrated imo, but all of these songs are still at least good. :tup

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2013, 01:28:13 PM »
(@Blob- notice I did rate Mirror higher than Lie :p)

Pfff, I ranked Lie 25 places higher than the Mirror. :D
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2013, 08:19:21 PM »
All good songs, although I'd place two of them a bit lower.