Author Topic: Pols Voice's Top 50 Dream Theater Songs  (Read 15215 times)

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
Pols Voice's Top 50 Dream Theater Songs
« on: January 13, 2013, 02:06:27 PM »
Welcome to my list, dear readers. Let's just get this going.

50. The Dance of Eternity

So, several songs were closely vying for position as the 50th, but this one claims the coveted spot. It was way too difficult a choice to make. Anyway, this track gets some criticism for being a bunch of pointless showing off. And I can see that. But it's pretty fun with off-kilter rhythms and random bursts of insanity like JR's legendary ragtime interlude. World class musicians putting their greatness on display. The track drags a bit towards the end (especially around 5:13), but it's not a big deal. Spoiler: I like instrumentals a lot. End spoiler.

49. Wither

This song was more enjoyable before I knew it was about writer's block of all things. Kind of lessens the impact, but I guess the lyrics could be applied to other topics...maybe... ??? Just a head's up, but lyrics frequently make or break songs for me. Anywho, this is one of DT's more mainstream songs, but they do it well. The verses are atmospheric with good vocals and some nice cymbal work; they give me vibes of the earlier (aka better) DT. Kewl singalong-style chorus. Wither is a very welcome change of pace from the 5 lumbering behemoths on BCSL. That's all I can think of saying for this one... *withers and renders self helpless*

48. This is the Life

I like how this starts off mostly mellow but builds to a satisfying crescendo. I also like that one jazzy little guitar part, where Petrucci channels his inner Mark Knopfler. Rudess does a nice job too...I think his work on ADTOE is better than the previous 4 albums. Lyrics ain't bad; I guess JP got over his writer's block. How about that military-sounding snare at the end of the song? Nice little accent there. I have one complaint and that's this subtle effect on some of the vocals which seems out of place to me.

47. Take Away My Pain

You'll find over the course of this list that I'm a fan of a lot of Dream Theater's simpler songs. This one has a memorable, soaring chorus and I find the lyrics touching. I love JP's Steve Rothery style solo. FII is a unique release in DT's discography, with a lot of branching out. For instance, the drum pattern during the verses is really different from Portnoy's usual stuff. Myung's simple bassline is also effective. I must say that James LaBrie can sing emotional lyrics at an almost unmatched level. One of my favorite singers, easily.

46. Misunderstood

This song stands out as pretty different for DT. I like the mellow, spacey feel it initially establishes, and the chorus that explodes out of it is really strong. LaBrie sings it very well too. Things get kinda spooky as the song goes on. For some reason, part of it always reminded me of Big Boo's Haunt from Super Mario 64. Just one of those weird connections! What I don't like too much is the outro, which goes on a little long with the squeals and squonks. That one ominous riff is in a sorta King Crimson style, which is neato I suppose.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Pols Voice's Top 50 Dream Theater Songs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 02:31:49 PM »
TDOE  :tup

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 02:36:37 PM »
This is the Life is about... I dunno, 1 spot too high
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 03:49:41 PM »
The Dance of Eternity! I'd put it a lot higher, but good to see it here.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 04:06:59 PM »
The Dance of Eternity! I'd put it a lot lower, so it's not good to see it here.

FTFM
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 05:12:46 PM »
So let me get this right. Everyone opens their own top 50 thread?
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 07:30:17 PM »
Hey everyone, I hate Dream Theatre too! Please care about my list!
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 07:38:41 PM »
I'll follow this list. :tup
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 07:39:49 PM »
Cool, man! I promise there will be lots of searing, white hot, controversial song placements.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 08:32:59 PM »
Five great song choices, though I would love to have seen Dance of Eternity closer to the top. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 10:38:52 PM »
Good choices for this placement. I would place TAMP near the bottom (aside from that sweet guitar solo), and Misunderstood would be a lot higher for me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 01:41:27 AM »
Hey everyone, I hate Dream Theatre too! Please care about my list!
Haha, I was just thinking how unlucky you are to be paired up with that other top 50 thread.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Dacling

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 09:37:40 AM »
I'm caring and waiting intently. Misunderstood is about 30 spots too low though.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 10:07:48 AM »
I'd place Misunderstood way higher and leave the others out.

Definately following, you seem to have interesting opinions. will You Not Me pop out?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 10:16:03 AM »
Misunderstood is still some 20 places too high, but the rest are all song that I would place in a similar range of positions. Good start!  :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 12:20:54 PM »
Thanks for the comments. :biggrin:

More ballads incoming.

45. The Answer Lies Within

I know this song gets a lot of hate, but I enjoy it. The band really holds back, which is a refreshing change of pace. Portnoy's drumbeat is downright Ringoesque in its effective simplicity. The strings are a nice touch, as is the pensive opening with the sound effects. Just a well-written, nice little ballad with a positive feel.

44. As I Am

Sort of a meat and potatoes style song, at least for DT. It's fun, it rocks, and there you have it. I enjoy that it transitions into This Dying Soul, a song which may or may not have made my list. :) As I Am also sets the tone for TOT well. The bass on that album sounds awesome, btw. Like most of the other stuff on the album, this is a good live song. It's cool that JR plays more of a supporting role here for once too. A great anthem for angry prog metal dweebs.

43. Wait for Sleep

The reason why this is relatively low on the list is just because it's short. It's perfect for what it is. The lyrics are evocative and the delicate, almost fragile music fits them extremely well. Hypnotic and beautiful stuff.

42. Only a Matter of Time

Hmm, both Wait for Sleep and OAMOT mention their respective album titles. This is a standout track from WDADU, which is a good album. I like the song's dramatic feel and cool keyboard work from KM. He's all over this one. Charlie actually does a good job here. The song has a driving sense of urgency to it, which I dig a lot. Equal parts choppy and rambling, it just works for me. You know how some songs just sound like album closers? This is a perfect album closer.

41. Through Her Eyes

Until this one, each song I've listed has been from a different album. Through Her Eyes is a very strong and simple emotional and melodic ballad. This is a standout performance from James. He really sells the story through his voice. In fact, I think he did an awesome job on this whole album. Jordan's piano work is beautiful. When people say DT is all about showing off with no good melodies, play them this.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 12:27:51 PM »
44. As I Am

A great anthem for angry prog metal dweebs.

43. Wait for Sleep

The reason why this is relatively low on the list is just because it's short. It's perfect for what it is. The lyrics are evocative and the delicate, almost fragile music fits them extremely well. Hypnotic and beautiful stuff.

42. Only a Matter of Time

You know how some songs just sound like album closers? This is a perfect album closer.

41. Through Her Eyes

Until this one, each song I've listed has been from a different album. Through Her Eyes is a very strong and simple emotional and melodic ballad. This is a standout performance from James. He really sells the story through his voice. In fact, I think he did an awesome job on this whole album. Jordan's piano work is beautiful. When people say DT is all about showing off with no good melodies, play them this.
:metal

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Ruba

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 12:34:02 PM »
OAMOT and Wait for Sleep are waaaaaaaaaaaay to low.

Answer and Eyes are OK. Don't like As I Am.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 12:36:10 PM »
Wait For Sleep is awesome. Also,Through Her Eyes is overrated as fuck.

Edit:I ment to say UNDERRATED. Lawl. Please don't kill me.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 01:01:21 PM by Lolzeez »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 12:50:10 PM »
I could have done without As I Am. It's a good song and all, but definitely won't be in my Top 50. Oops..SPOILER!!   ;)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 01:19:54 PM »
OAMOT!!!  :heart :heart I think I'll like this list. So far the songs seem to be placed close to where I'd have them
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 06:39:46 PM »
OAMOT!!!  :heart :heart I think I'll like this list. So far the songs seem to be placed close to where I'd have them

We'll see. I think my next update might ruffle some feathers.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 08:02:44 PM »
Take Away My Pain is a beautiful song. Glad to see it made someones list

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 08:21:50 PM »
I'd put As I Am much higher, and OAMOT would make my reverse top-5. The rest are placed just fine.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 04:18:01 PM »
Decent batch here. 3 nice songs, 2 not so good.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 10:28:16 PM »
40. Finally Free

This is a very ominous track. It starts off pleasant enough, but things turn dark quickly. I really like the understated piano work in the first vocal section. The chorus has a fantastic melody. 6:27 to 7:27 is legit goosebump material. The outro is pretty killer (ho ho), with some sick drum work. This song works so well on the album, but the thing with SFAM songs is that they work better as part of a whole than on their own, so they're harder to rank. I mean, the ending of this song with all the sound effects and whatnot is more of an end to the album than to the track. Like how the end of Peter Jackson's Return of the King serves as an ending to all three LOTR movies, and not just that one movie. What am I even talking about here. I'll move on to the next song...

39. In the Name of God 

SWEET RIFFS AHOY. I'm not thrilled with some of the lyrics, but overall it's a really strong and rocking mini-epic with some seriously fun, monster riffs. 10:02-10:23 is especially tasty. Jordan throws lots of important-sounding piano all over the track. The unison is definitely awesome, and I like that groovy bassline underneath. MP also has some creative drumming going on in that instrumental section. The chorus is indeed epic-a-licious. And I also have to mention that one itty-bitty electronic break (at 7:14), which is kind of random but welcome.

38. Bridges in the Sky

Okay, the intro really reminds me of a couple Flower Kings songs. Anyway, the main draw for me in this song is the "at last the time has come" part, which is beautiful. One of the band's greatest melodies EVAH. The chorus itself isn't shabby either, for that matter. The instrumental section after the first "shaman take my HAAAAAAAAAAAAND" is pretty good, but a bit standard. There are lots of nice riffs throughout the song, and I especially dig the one at 4:59...so djentle. Viva Mangini!

37. Peruvian Skies

In some ways, kind of a prototype Endless Sacrifice, starting off all moody and then rocking out. As much as I love FII, it was sorta lacking in cool metal parts. But the second half of this song is definitely cool and metal with some satisfyingly headbang-worthy riffage. That opening melody translates really well to a heavier riff. Petrucci gets a nice solo. He had some really great lead (cue Mangini) toooones on this album. I'm glad they kept this track somewhat concise...6:43 being concise for Dream Theater.

36. The Mirror

Chugga chugga. The first appearance of Awake on my list, The Mirror has nice bone-rattling riffage and lots of convincing anger from Captain LaCheez. This is still one of DT's heaviest songs, with a really oppressive—even creepy at times—atmosphere. Moore's chilly, crystalline piano fits in well. The musical foreshadowing of Space-Dye Vest was a nice touch, and the sludgy ending transitions well into Lie.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 11:15:04 PM »

Chugga chugga.
Nah, it's Djent Djent Djent. :biggrin:

:neverusethis:
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 12:31:43 AM »
I've finally gotten around to appreciate Only A Matter Of Time these last couple of days. It's gone from being an okay song to being a great song, and I've listened a lot to the Budokan version.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 12:52:29 AM »
I've finally gotten around to appreciate Only A Matter Of Time these last couple of days. It's gone from being an okay song to being a great song, and I've listened a lot to the Budokan version.

Which of course is so much better than the original! I actually think that the WDADRU version is a bit superior, even though of course not in terms of audio quality. It's still an OK song for me, though  :blush
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Ruba

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2013, 01:57:48 AM »
Some would be higher, and ITNOG omitted, but a good batch.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2013, 04:52:24 AM »
Some would be higher, and ITNOG much higher, but a good batch.

FTFY

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2013, 04:57:36 AM »

There really are some great songs on that first CD.  OaMoT is definitely one of the top tracks.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2013, 08:50:04 AM »
I'm Ok with that update. Most of those songs are really good sans Peruvian Skies. Most of those should be higher though.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Ruba

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2013, 10:51:04 AM »
Some would be higher, and ITNOG much higher, but a good batch.

FTFY

My biggest problem with ITNOG is the Iron Maiden-esque using of chorus. And I rarely like that heavy music.