Author Topic: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.  (Read 191529 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.
« Reply #1400 on: November 19, 2018, 01:10:18 PM »

I am dying for some Europa exploration.

This I hope to see in my life time above almost anything else in space exploration.
Europa clipper is in the works, and may launch in 2023 or so.  I am also working on a component of this spacecraft.

Clipper is cool, and will probably yield some neat surprises, but I mean actually get under that ice. I want to see footage of an alien whale and an alien mega squid fighting
yeah that would be incredible. Pretty tough to land there, but not impossible (need lots of Delta v.  Getting into Jupiter orbit is much easier).  There is a poposed lander to compliment clipper, but who knows how far along that will get.

Any of you ever watched this movie....Europa Report?  I thought it was pretty cool.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2051879/
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1401 on: November 19, 2018, 01:40:24 PM »

I am dying for some Europa exploration.

This I hope to see in my life time above almost anything else in space exploration.
Europa clipper is in the works, and may launch in 2023 or so.  I am also working on a component of this spacecraft.

Clipper is cool, and will probably yield some neat surprises, but I mean actually get under that ice. I want to see footage of an alien whale and an alien mega squid fighting
yeah that would be incredible. Pretty tough to land there, but not impossible (need lots of Delta v.  Getting into Jupiter orbit is much easier).  There is a poposed lander to compliment clipper, but who knows how far along that will get.

Any of you ever watched this movie....Europa Report?  I thought it was pretty cool.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2051879/
Is that the movie where the lander gets dragged down through the ice or something?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 01:55:27 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1402 on: November 19, 2018, 01:45:23 PM »
Is that the movie where the lander gets dragged down through the ice or something?

just in case anyone wants to watch it......yeah....the ending sequence is the lander melting through the ice surface. the final survivor knew she wasn't going to make it back so she chose to broadcast her death back to earth to reveal there was life under the ice.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1403 on: November 19, 2018, 01:57:07 PM »

just in case anyone wants to watch it......yeah....the ending sequence is the lander melting through the ice surface. the final survivor knew she wasn't going to make it back so she chose to broadcast her death back to earth to reveal there was life under the ice.
Ah that's right, I thought I seen it.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1404 on: November 19, 2018, 02:06:18 PM »
I thought the movie was well done. Nothing fancy....yet totally 'believable' as to how a manned mission like that would look.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #1405 on: November 26, 2018, 06:54:41 AM »
NASA's InSight is landing on Mars today around 3:00 EST.

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8391/nasas-insight-is-one-day-away-from-mars/?site=insight

Edit: corrected the time.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 08:06:20 AM by jasc15 »

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1406 on: November 26, 2018, 07:07:44 AM »
NASA's InSight is landing on Mars today around 12:00 EST.

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8391/nasas-insight-is-one-day-away-from-mars/?site=insight

I thought it was landing yesterday, so I kept looking up on the net... actually I got the date wrong... either way, can't wait to know more about if Mars has any seismic activity.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1407 on: November 27, 2018, 03:27:13 AM »
It's always great to see how far reaches mankind's curiosity and desire to explore and to know. After our ancestors crossed rivers, seas and found out continents, now the search goes on in the final frontier!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #1408 on: November 27, 2018, 08:33:29 AM »

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1409 on: November 27, 2018, 08:37:00 AM »
NASA's InSight is landing on Mars today around 12:00 EST.

I thought it was landing yesterday, so I kept looking up on the net... actually I got the date wrong... either way, can't wait to know more about if Mars has any seismic activity.

I can't wait to see more on this. If we don't detect any seismic activity, that would make the releasing and existence of methane plumes even more interesting.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1410 on: November 27, 2018, 08:50:01 AM »

Yes, I know the rover above isn't Insight.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1411 on: November 27, 2018, 09:57:11 AM »

Such a plain picture. Some mechanical stuff and a boring landscape.

And then you think that it's ANOTHER PLANET... that we reached through a lander shot from our planet through the nothingness of space to reach Mars.... WOW!!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1412 on: November 27, 2018, 10:01:50 AM »

And then you think that it's ANOTHER PLANET... that we reached through a lander shot from our planet through the nothingness of space to reach Mars.... WOW!!!!

And to think that we got it onto the surface, autonomously, in one piece after having to slow it down from a top speed of 12,000+ mph.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1413 on: November 27, 2018, 05:48:59 PM »

That boring, nothingness is specifically chosen for this mission. The main objective for this mission is to detect seismic activity and understanding of the core of Mars. A lander needs to land on some place flat like Kansas, but without the corn.  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1414 on: November 28, 2018, 01:08:36 AM »
I know, I wasn't questioning the chosen landed spot, I was pointing out how apparently it's such a plain and standard picture, that however holds a great meaning for science.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1415 on: November 28, 2018, 03:49:04 AM »

And to think that we got it onto the surface, autonomously, in one piece after having to slow it down from a top speed of 12,000+ mph.

That has to be the best picture ever taken from the surface of Mars! It looks very Earth like. It looks like the Namibian desert shot on a cloudy day, but it's from another planet! Incredible!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1416 on: November 28, 2018, 10:48:24 AM »
https://www.businessinsider.com/nasa-return-moon-mission-commercial-companies-announcement-2018-11?r=US&IR=T&utm_source=reddit.com

If NASA's stunning landing of a car-sized robot on Mars didn't already whet your appetite for space exploration this week, mark your calendar for 2 p.m. EST on Thursday.

That's when NASA plans to give an update about a program that aims to land privately developed spacecraft on the moon.

I hope this isn't empty words as it seems to always be because even though Mars is the bigger goal I do feel that in a way it seems just logical to do missions to the Moon even if it's just training missions for Mars. For me to be able to see people walk on the Moon or Mars again during my lifetime would be very exciting.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1417 on: December 05, 2018, 11:25:31 AM »
Watching the live feed of Space X's launch and the falcon 9 just started spinning out of control on re-entry. They killed the feed. This could be a news day  :corn

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1418 on: December 05, 2018, 11:42:53 AM »
Watching the live feed of Space X's launch and the falcon 9 just started spinning out of control on re-entry. They killed the feed. This could be a news day  :corn
Interesting. Musk has said it "landed" at sea and is undamaged.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1419 on: December 05, 2018, 11:58:30 AM »

I saw a fan video from the sidelines and it looked like a soft touchdown, but there were trees in the way. I couldn't see where it ultimately ended up. SpaceX has been really good about releasing their best footage regardless of the outcome of the event. Hoping for some good footage in the coming hours/days. Also, it wasn't supposed to be a water landing.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1420 on: December 05, 2018, 12:20:21 PM »

I saw a fan video from the sidelines and it looked like a soft touchdown, but there were trees in the way. I couldn't see where it ultimately ended up. SpaceX has been really good about releasing their best footage regardless of the outcome of the event. Hoping for some good footage in the coming hours/days. Also, it wasn't supposed to be a water landing.
Which is why I labeled it as interesting.  :lol

And he said they dispatched a boat to pick it up, so yeah, it's in the drink.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1421 on: December 05, 2018, 12:58:04 PM »
Here's a good video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNpDWSfSd8k

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1422 on: December 20, 2018, 09:22:29 AM »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1423 on: December 20, 2018, 09:35:40 AM »
Poor Mars  :lol

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1424 on: December 20, 2018, 09:59:10 AM »
Very cool message from Alexander Gerst (latest commander of the ISS) to mankind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UfpkRFPIJk&feature=youtu.be
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1425 on: January 09, 2019, 06:10:51 AM »
I'm building a 22" tall Falcon Heavy lamp for my office.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1426 on: January 09, 2019, 07:01:09 AM »
Really cool idea. And it looks awesome!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1427 on: January 09, 2019, 08:29:31 AM »
I assume that's what Ben Grimm's dick looks like.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1428 on: January 09, 2019, 11:10:41 AM »
Sheeeiiiit

SpaceX is making awesome progress on their Starhopper. This is going to be for their hop tests (what they used to do with the grasshoppers when they first started testing vertical landings for Falcon 9) that will eventually become the Starship. I knew this thing was going to be massive, but this blows my mind. Look at the size of that thing compared to everything else, and this is just the testing vehicle. Starship will be even bigger.

Looking at the pic below, the first craft (starhopper) is what is pictured above. The second craft is what what the final product will be (starship). The third craft is the rocket that will lift it. The fourth craft is the current Falcon 9. The fifth craft is the starship mounted on the Super Heavy booster. I can't wait to hear the sound this thing makes as it takes off.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 07:39:15 PM by Chino »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1429 on: January 17, 2019, 05:42:22 AM »
^^ :tup Things are definitely brewing at Space X.

This is SpaceX’s very first human crew

Those pressure suits looks so movie like or something.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1430 on: January 17, 2019, 06:09:04 AM »
^^ :tup Things are definitely brewing at Space X.

This is SpaceX’s very first human crew

Those pressure suits looks so movie like or something.

For some reason, this is what it made me think of.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1431 on: January 21, 2019, 08:02:21 AM »

After reading that comic, your sig ties in with it well.  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1432 on: January 21, 2019, 10:06:31 AM »
Anyone see the Blood moon last night? I couldn't do a proper focus with the tripod with my 200mm lens as the moon was directly above me and had to lie down on the grass to take the shot. I might have to upgrade to a 300mm lens soon.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1433 on: January 21, 2019, 08:55:26 PM »
I hear you. I only have a 200mm as well. Need to shell out to get a 200-500 one of these days.

I took a pic though!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1434 on: January 21, 2019, 10:14:22 PM »
That's so much better than mine, so much sharper. I just couldn't focus correctly as it was really cold outside with the damn moon exactly above me. What settings did you end up with for that shot?
Mine was f/10 at 1/8 sec exposure and ISO 4000.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan