Author Topic: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.  (Read 191552 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.
« Reply #1365 on: March 02, 2018, 08:49:27 PM »
That's some cool stuff, there!  Stuff that has been in space.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #1366 on: April 16, 2018, 07:00:01 AM »
Space X scheduled to launch the TESS planet hunter this evening, 6:32 EST.  I watched a NASA press conference and they stated one of the specific goals was to find exo-planets with no more than 4X earth mass and determine the planets composition.  I'm not even smart enough to truly understand how smart these folks are.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #1367 on: April 17, 2018, 07:23:57 AM »
Something I've come to learn about this type of thing, is that it's not enough simply getting a bunch of smart people together.  Team organization is at least as important, if not more so, than having smart people on the team.  A group of the smartest people in the world won't accomplish much without good leadership and an understanding of their role and the role of others.  I'm sure others can speak more about leadership and teamwork than I can.

If the achievements of spacex are attributed just to intelligence, it artificially inflates the perceived intelligence of the people responsible almost to the point of hero worship.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #1368 on: April 17, 2018, 07:35:43 AM »
Something I've come to learn about this type of thing, is that it's not enough simply getting a bunch of smart people together.  Team organization is at least as important, if not more so, than having smart people on the team.  A group of the smartest people in the world won't accomplish much without good leadership and an understanding of their role and the role of others.  I'm sure others can speak more about leadership and teamwork than I can.

If the achievements of spacex are attributed just to intelligence, it artificially inflates the perceived intelligence of the people responsible almost to the point of hero worship.

Agreed, and with a few exceptions throughout history, the brilliant people of the day are standing on the shoulders of others who worked toward similar goals.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1369 on: April 17, 2018, 08:36:05 AM »
I saw last night that John Young died back in January. Went right under the radar, apparently. Normally an accomplishment like walking on the freaking moon gets you a bit more attention when you croak. In his case he had actually done a whole lot more. This guy was prolific as an astronaut, flying twice for Gemini, twice for Apollo, and twice on the space shuttle. He went to the moon twice, once as CM pilot for the Apollo 10 dress rehearsal flight, and once as LM commander for Apollo 16. Ten years later he was the original test pilot for the shuttle program as the commander for STS-001. Suffice it to say he always struck me as a helluva guy.

Interesting side note. STS-001 suffered quite a few problems during launch due to a significant overpressure lifting off the pad. One of the problems was major enough that Young said later that had he known about it the Columbia would be at the bottom of the Atlantic right now, as there's no way he'd have flown it into orbit.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1370 on: April 17, 2018, 07:50:11 PM »
Interesting side note. STS-001 suffered quite a few problems during launch due to a significant overpressure lifting off the pad. One of the problems was major enough that Young said later that had he known about it the Columbia would be at the bottom of the Atlantic right now, as there's no way he'd have flown it into orbit.

That’s an interesting story. I remember seeing 1 article and 15 seconds news segment when he died. I’m sure more articles were published not many on major news papers or news sites.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1371 on: June 21, 2018, 02:21:50 PM »
Seriously, black holes have been driving me crazy lately. They are so much more strange than they seem and even more interesting than I even first thought. It began with me wanting to truly understand what it would be like to fall into one - what one would see or what someone else would see - but of course it wasn’t that simple. The coolest thing I found reading about them this time is that space and time switch places below the event horizon, which makes sense when you think avout it, but it’s still crazy.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 02:27:24 PM by BlackInk »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1372 on: June 21, 2018, 02:28:35 PM »
Seriously, black holes have been driving me crazy lately. They are so much more strange than they seem and even more interesting than I even first thought. It began with me wanting to truly understand what it would be like to fall into one - what one would see or what someone else would see - but of course it wasn’t that simple. The coolest thing I found reading about them this time is that space and time switch places below the event horizon, which makes sense when you think avout it, but it’s still crazy.

Ive always been fascinated by black holes as well.  Such a cool and interesting yet totally unknown really phenomenon. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1373 on: July 05, 2018, 08:30:30 AM »
Visited the California Science Center a few weeks ago, and actually seeing the Orbiter Vehicle 105, aka the Space Shuttle Endeavour, in person, is an amazing experience.

Have you ever seen the Space Shuttle exhibit at Kennedy Space Center in FL?  It is indescribably awesome.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1374 on: July 05, 2018, 07:08:15 PM »
Have you ever seen the Space Shuttle exhibit at Kennedy Space Center in FL?  It is indescribably awesome.

No sir, but I will keep that in mind... that being said, I have visited the Johnson Space Center near Houston, TX, and I would LOVE to revisit that place. Ideally also catching my Lakers @ Rockets, and witnessing how my Lakers crush them CP3 and Harden in the process... oops, off topic, sorry...  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1375 on: July 20, 2018, 08:37:58 AM »
Check out these awesome photos. I think my favorite is the one called 'Daytime Moon.' Or 'First Impressions' because it looks like a killer album cover.

https://gizmodo.com/some-of-the-most-spectacular-astronomy-images-of-2018-1827695259
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1376 on: July 24, 2018, 09:54:56 AM »
https://aichallenge.intel.com/space

Interesting challenge there

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1377 on: July 24, 2018, 10:44:07 AM »
https://aichallenge.intel.com/space

Interesting challenge there
Leonard Nimoy told a story a while back about visiting CalTech back in the early 70s. They're walking him around showing him these new-fangled computers that can actually print a 16-bit picture on a piece of paper. All of these nerds are geeking out over meeting Spock and asking him questions about their projects. The fact that he was just some actor with no scientific expertise whatsoever was completely lost on them. They really wanted to hear his thoughts on computer engineering and whatnot. I get the impression that Picardo is now in the same boat. From what I've seen of the guy he seems really cool and it'd be fun to hang out with him, but his role in this seems pretty sensational.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1378 on: July 24, 2018, 12:48:31 PM »

*insert spoiler for the film Interstellar*
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1379 on: July 24, 2018, 06:52:43 PM »
Leonard Nimoy told a story a while back about visiting CalTech back in the early 70s. They're walking him around showing him these new-fangled computers that can actually print a 16-bit picture on a piece of paper. All of these nerds are geeking out over meeting Spock and asking him questions about their projects. The fact that he was just some actor with no scientific expertise whatsoever was completely lost on them. They really wanted to hear his thoughts on computer engineering and whatnot. I get the impression that Picardo is now in the same boat. From what I've seen of the guy he seems really cool and it'd be fun to hang out with him, but his role in this seems pretty sensational.

I look at this way. I do work with developers and what not, and sometimes they do think too much within their little universe. They actually need to meet and talk with non-engineers (users) and gauge their interest as well as UI / UX opinion. In a way, I think those guys at CalTech were doing just that in some way.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1380 on: July 24, 2018, 08:51:40 PM »

*insert spoiler for the film Interstellar*

There’s a theory about interstellar that I find pretty interesting. Some people (including me) believe that the last 20 or so minutes of the movie didn’t really happened. From the moment he started falling it was all in his head, just the final moments of his life seeing what he wanted to see. It was a way to give the movie a “happy ending” but leaving some things to the viewers imagination.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1381 on: August 22, 2018, 02:49:55 PM »
There’s a theory about interstellar that I find pretty interesting. Some people (including me) believe that the last 20 or so minutes of the movie didn’t really happened. From the moment he started falling it was all in his head, just the final moments of his life seeing what he wanted to see. It was a way to give the movie a “happy ending” but leaving some things to the viewers imagination.

Yeah....I watched a Youtube video one night that went in to this theory.....made it's point pretty good but I still lean towards it all really happened for Cooper
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1382 on: August 23, 2018, 06:17:34 PM »
So I like that we seem to be moving forward with the Space Launch System and the Lunar Orbital Platform Gateway. The SLS is what we should have been doing instead of wasting time with the shuttle. I do have reservations about why we're doing it based on who's doing it, though. The question I keep asking myself is if the Boy King actually understands that we don't own the moon. And if he understands that nobody should own the moon. The fact that Pence is leading pep-rallies for it so soon after announcing this Space Force nonsense, and hyping up the threats in space from China and Russia, gives me quite a bit of concern that he doesn't. I'd really like to know what he thinks America's role in space should be. I think the odds of him being of the Kennedy/Khrushchev mindset are pretty slim. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1384 on: September 23, 2018, 06:48:51 PM »
I am sure this is nothing new to some of you astronomy enthusiasts, but I have just now learned about the Boötes void. Just wow!  :hefdaddy
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1385 on: September 27, 2018, 11:26:09 AM »
:omg:
https://www.iflscience.com/space/japan-has-successfully-landed-the-first-ever-rovers-on-an-asteroid/
This really is pretty amazing. I honestly had no idea this was going on.

Here's a pretty detailed explanation of all of the various components. https://spaceflight101.com/spacecraft/hayabusa-2/
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1386 on: September 27, 2018, 11:35:52 AM »
That's pretty nuts.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1387 on: November 09, 2018, 09:35:53 AM »
SpaceX's workhorse Falcon 9 rocket can now launch NASA's most expensive and highest-priority science missions.
NASA's Launch Services Program (LSP) has certified the two-stage Falcon 9 as a "Category 3" rocket, SpaceX representatives announced Thursday (Nov. 8).

"LSP Category 3 certification is a major achievement for the Falcon 9 team and represents another key milestone in our close partnership with NASA," SpaceX President and Chief Operating Officer Gwynne Shotwell said in a statement.

Only Category 3 rockets can launch the priciest, most important, most complex NASA missions — projects like the Hubble Space Telescope, the Mars rover Curiosity and the James Webb Space Telescope. (Hubble launched aboard the space shuttle Discovery in April of 1990, Curiosity flew atop a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket in November of 2011 and Webb will ride an Arianespace Ariane 5 rocket in March 2021.)

https://www.space.com/42387-spacex-falcon-9-rocket-nasa-certification.html

That's a huge milestone for SpaceX and I was about to say maybe Falcon 9 will launch the James Webb Telescope but literally in the next sentence it says Webb has already set which rocket it will use.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1388 on: November 10, 2018, 08:54:27 PM »
Nothing about Bepi Colombo yet!
It's a joint ESA JAXA (Europe and Japan) spacecraft headed for Mercury, and will take 7 years.  My company supplied xenon tanks for the electric propulsion it will need to decelerate from solar orbit at Earth distance to Mercury's orbit.  Most of the deceleration will be via Earth and Venus gravity assists, but the propulsion system burns will be low thrust, lasting several months.

https://sci.esa.int/bepicolombo/

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1389 on: November 14, 2018, 09:32:35 AM »
Russia has revealed a nuclear spacecraft of the future.

Here's what the main ship in Avatar looked like.

Who stole whose idea?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1390 on: November 14, 2018, 10:54:07 AM »
Well to be fair, they're not quite exactly the same.  Not quite.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1391 on: November 14, 2018, 01:27:33 PM »
Is that Kerbal space program?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1392 on: November 15, 2018, 11:12:51 AM »
So now Avatar knows how Pocahontas feels :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1393 on: November 15, 2018, 11:16:00 AM »
Is that Kerbal space program?

No idea. That was the photo on Fox.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1394 on: November 17, 2018, 08:20:07 AM »
We Are NASA

Yes we know. Stop hyping shit and go explore the universe, like you used to.

:biggrin:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1395 on: November 17, 2018, 06:41:00 PM »
I am dying for some Europa exploration.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1396 on: November 19, 2018, 05:54:35 AM »

This I hope to see in my life time above almost anything else in space exploration.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1397 on: November 19, 2018, 12:14:10 PM »

This I hope to see in my life time above almost anything else in space exploration.
Europa clipper is in the works, and may launch in 2023 or so.  I am also working on a component of this spacecraft.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1398 on: November 19, 2018, 12:24:19 PM »

Europa clipper is in the works, and may launch in 2023 or so.  I am also working on a component of this spacecraft.

Clipper is cool, and will probably yield some neat surprises, but I mean actually get under that ice. I want to see footage of an alien whale and an alien mega squid fighting

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1399 on: November 19, 2018, 12:34:22 PM »

Clipper is cool, and will probably yield some neat surprises, but I mean actually get under that ice. I want to see footage of an alien whale and an alien mega squid fighting
yeah that would be incredible. Pretty tough to land there, but not impossible (need lots of Delta v.  Getting into Jupiter orbit is much easier).  There is a poposed lander to compliment clipper, but who knows how far along that will get.