Author Topic: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.  (Read 194027 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.
« Reply #1015 on: November 23, 2015, 07:28:06 AM »
Just 644 days to go until the Total Solar Eclipse in the United States.  There has not been a Total Eclipse of the Sun in the Continental U.S. since 1979.  It takes place on August 21st, 2017.

More info: https://www.eclipse2017.org/eclipse2017_main.htm

When I read this I immediately thought of The Strain.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1016 on: November 24, 2015, 05:59:41 AM »
Woooww

If I'm not mistaken, this was their first attempt.

https://money.cnn.com/2015/11/24/technology/jeff-bezos-rocket-landing/index.html?iid=hp-toplead-dom

But Bezos said his rocket performed exactly as planned, traveling into the edge of outerspace before returning. The rocket's engines reignited at 5,000 feet above ground to slow descent, and it was traveling at only 4.4 mph during its final 100 feet. It landed only 4-1/2 feet off the dead center of the the landing pad.

Offline adace

« Reply #1017 on: November 24, 2015, 09:34:45 PM »
Woooww

If I'm not mistaken, this was their first attempt.

https://money.cnn.com/2015/11/24/technology/jeff-bezos-rocket-landing/index.html?iid=hp-toplead-dom

But Bezos said his rocket performed exactly as planned, traveling into the edge of outerspace before returning. The rocket's engines reignited at 5,000 feet above ground to slow descent, and it was traveling at only 4.4 mph during its final 100 feet. It landed only 4-1/2 feet off the dead center of the the landing pad.
Amazing stuff!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1018 on: December 01, 2015, 11:10:58 PM »
I must be the only person who sees space travel for the sole purpose of tourism as a major ecological issue.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1019 on: December 02, 2015, 06:17:03 AM »
I must be the only person who sees space travel for the sole purpose of tourism as a major ecological issue.

Yeah. I don't love the idea of that either. Unfortunately, it's the only way to entice companies to pursue this technology.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1020 on: December 02, 2015, 09:45:52 AM »
https://www.popsci.com/spacex-will-attempt-next-rocket-landing-at-cape-canaveral

SpaceX has attempted to land a rocket gently before, but those attempts were made on giant floating platforms in the ocean (which just missed). Then, last week, competitor Blue Origin managed to land it's own reusable rocket safely on the ground, amping up the public pressure on SpaceX to successfully land their own rocket.
Since one of their rockets exploded in June, SpaceX has been grounded as they troubleshoot. The company is also upgrading their rockets with new engines that can carry heavier loads.
Florida Today reported that SpaceX's next launch could happen as early as December 15, but that remains unconfirmed.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #1021 on: December 03, 2015, 03:09:42 PM »
Atlas V launch with Cygnus ISS resupply ship scheduled in about 30 minutes (5:36 EST), but weather is looking like a bust.

https://www.ustream.tv/nasahdtv

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1022 on: December 10, 2015, 01:50:48 PM »
Pretty shameful that we can't allocate enough funds for both.

https://www.chron.com/news/nation-world/space/article/Report-NASA-plans-to-leave-International-Space-6686526.php

In the interest of saving money, NASA is planning to cut its ties to the International Space Station, which has maintained a continuous human presence in low-Earth orbit for 15 years.
According to ARS Technica, NASA's head of human spaceflight said the agency plans to leave the space station as soon as possible. Earlier this year, the U.S. Congress agreed to extend funding for the ISS from 2020 to 2024.
William Gerstenmaier, NASA's associate administrator for human exploration and operations, addressed the space station topic Dec. 1 at a meeting of the NASA Advisory Council at Johnson Space Center in Houston.
Gerstenmaier said NASA can't afford to continue work on the ISS, which is maintained by 15 countries, if it wants to pursue its goal of sending people to Mars by 2035.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1023 on: December 10, 2015, 07:10:03 PM »
That's terrible, especially with how important the ISS has been to learning more about extended time in space.
As badly as I want to see humans land on Mars in my lifetime, I think it's going to be very difficult with this level of support.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline adace

« Reply #1024 on: December 13, 2015, 03:39:39 AM »
Thrilled that we get to learn more about this mysterious planet!
https://www.space.com/31324-venus-arrival-by-japan-akatsuki-spacecraft.html

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1025 on: December 22, 2015, 03:33:45 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1026 on: December 22, 2015, 05:39:23 AM »
I couldn't be happier this morning. Victoria and I were watching the live stream. Very well done and super entertaining. I wish more people watched it. I legitimately threw my hands up, clapping and cheering while all kinds of weird sounds of joy came out of my mouth. I almost cried. I'd put what SpaceX did last night right up there with the moon landing. We have officially entered the next phase of space exploration. Also, all the employees going into a "USA USA" chant made me really happy.

I'm really curious if this rocket will be reused or if this was basically the POC that a vertical landing was possible. That's their next milestone; land and reuse.

Here's a long exposure image of the rocket taking off and landing.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1027 on: December 22, 2015, 08:05:37 AM »
:clap: That's so awesome! I'm so excited to see where this takes us.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 09:05:04 AM by Implode »

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1028 on: December 22, 2015, 08:48:52 AM »
Really great technical achievement by Spacex last night.  It was pretty impressive that they managed to achieve all the mission objectives.  I wonder why they were able to forego the barge landing and go for a full return to launch site landing.  I know this vehicle was a bit more powerful than previous Falcon 9's, so that might be it.  I haven't found much more detail about that.

With regard to the re-usability (I'm sure Spacex wouldn't be going after this method if it wasn't economical to do so) I wonder what the comparison is in cost between re-qualifying used hardware and building new hardware?  You don't just dust it off and fill 'er up.  The space shuttle was "re usable" and went through unbelievable refurbishment between flights, including replacement of many components, disassembly of major systems, inspections, re-qual, etc.  A first stage booster is a much simpler machine than the shuttle, however.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1029 on: December 22, 2015, 08:54:24 AM »
Really great technical achievement by Spacex last night.  It was pretty impressive that they managed to achieve all the mission objectives.  I wonder why they were able to forego the barge landing and go for a full return to launch site landing.  I know this vehicle was a bit more powerful than previous Falcon 9's, so that might be it.  I haven't found much more detail about that.

With regard to the re-usability (I'm sure Spacex wouldn't be going after this method if it wasn't economical to do so) I wonder what the comparison is in cost between re-qualifying used hardware and building new hardware?  You don't just dust it off and fill 'er up.  The space shuttle was "re usable" and went through unbelievable refurbishment between flights, including replacement of many components, disassembly of major systems, inspections, re-qual, etc.  A first stage booster is a much simpler machine than the shuttle, however.

A Falcon 9 costs just shy of $60 million dollars to build. There will still be refurbishing with these, but it won't be anything like having to refurbish a rocket that's been corroded by salt water. The retrieval process from the ocean costs a small fortune as well. This eliminates that.

As for getting to skip the barge, that's probably because they hit it both times they attempted. They proved that they at least had control of the rocket during decent, even if they couldn't land it. They showed they could do it over land safely.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1030 on: December 22, 2015, 08:55:47 AM »
As for getting to skip the barge, that's probably because they hit it both times they attempted. They proved that they at least had control of the rocket during decent, even if they couldn't land it. They showed they could do it over land safely.
My question is really one of energy.  Continuing downrange to land requires much less fuel than reversing your velocity to return to the launch site.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1031 on: December 22, 2015, 09:50:08 AM »
Interesting interview with NASA's Chief Technologist. Dr. Miller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqndNdkYKtg

The part about NASAs approach on the first mission to Mars would only be in orbit of Mars and then back just like Apollo 8 is interesting. Of course it makes sense to do it in steps but yea it's along way before we reach the surface atleast if that's the plan NASA will stick to.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1032 on: December 22, 2015, 09:53:26 AM »
Interesting interview with NASA's Chief Technologist. Dr. Miller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqndNdkYKtg

The part about NASAs approach on the first mission to Mars would only be in orbit of Mars and then back just like Apollo 8 is interesting. Of course it makes sense to do it in steps but yea it's along way before we reach the surface at least if that's the plan NASA will stick to.

I think we should put a space station in orbit around mars. Let the Astronauts chill up there and drive an army of rovers around in real time with no delay.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1033 on: December 22, 2015, 10:04:03 AM »
I approve  :tup

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1034 on: December 23, 2015, 08:37:42 AM »

Both are impressive of course and given it was as far as I know Blue Orgins first attempt it's pretty epic. Space Xs trajectory was a bit more complicated from the looks of it but the end results on actually landing the rocket was the same I guess.

One things for sure the epic space race is upon us!  :corn

• DTF.org Member

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #1036 on: January 06, 2016, 01:23:25 AM »

Yeah. I don't love the idea of that either. Unfortunately, it's the only way to entice companies to pursue this technology.

Asteroid Mining? Anyone??

Neil DeGrasse Tyson says that the first Trillionare of the world would be in Asteroid Mining Business!

Seems good to me, considering the Rare Earth Metals are called so because they are rare here not out there.

P.S - Hey m new here really stoked to find this thread, its my favorite now (m still on page 6)!

P.P.S - Speaking of Asteroid Mining, has anyone been watching 'The Expanse' out here. I think its pretty good.
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1037 on: January 06, 2016, 06:55:28 AM »
I still can't imagine that it would be more economical to mine asteroids than the earth.  Rare earth elements aren't "rare"; they are pretty common in the earth's crust but aren't found in high concentrations like other metals.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1038 on: January 06, 2016, 07:00:39 AM »
I still can't imagine that it would be more economical to mine asteroids than the earth.  Rare earth elements aren't "rare"; they are pretty common in the earth's crust but aren't found in high concentrations like other metals.

Maybe not today, but in 200 years, who knows what the world's demand for materials is going to be. Also, if we are building shit on Mars and the moon, being able to tow an asteroid into orbit and just send chunks down to whatever celestial body we're working on would be pretty cool.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 08:41:31 AM by Chino »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1039 on: January 08, 2016, 08:42:01 AM »

Online jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #1040 on: January 08, 2016, 01:50:19 PM »

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1041 on: January 12, 2016, 04:55:23 AM »
The new album Trailer animations made me think of Cosmos and in turn this thread!

So lets tell our favourite Cosmos episode..........mine is S01E07 The Clean Room.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1042 on: January 12, 2016, 05:45:46 AM »
The new album Trailer animations made me think of Cosmos and in turn this thread!

So lets tell our favourite Cosmos episode..........mine is S01E07 The Clean Room.

If we're talking the original series, the very first episode, "The Shores of the Cosmic Ocean" is probably my favorite. It might not be the best episode, but I remember being absolutely in awe the first time Sagan described how Eratosthenes calculated the circumference of the Earth. The last episode, "Who Speaks For Earth" is a close second.

If we're talking the NDT reboot, I really liked "The Lost Worlds of Planet Earth".

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1043 on: January 12, 2016, 06:18:31 AM »
Yes I need to watch the original one! I just came across the new one and I liked it so much that NdT's Startalk is always playing when I m at work. Thx for the reply!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1044 on: January 12, 2016, 06:34:27 AM »
Yes I need to watch the original one! I just came across the new one and I liked it so much that NdT's Startalk is always playing when I m at work. Thx for the reply!

Star Talk is fantastic. I listen to it at work as well. There are two I'd highly recommend. Search for the ones with Seth McFarlane and Penn Jillette. Those are my favorite. He has one that's just a discussion with God that's really funny and he's got one with the myth busters that's really good too. Check out the one with Edward Snowden while you're at  it as well.

If you can get your hands on the original Cosmos, I'd highly recommend buying it. It used to be on Netflix but got taken down a few years ago. As much as I liked the new Cosmos, I think is pales in comparison to the original. There's something magical about it that no amount of CGI and galaxy images can compensate for.

I can't link it at work, but search youtube for "Carl Sagan Teaching at His Former School". It's a 3:07 clip from an episode of the original Cosmos. That clip says it all.

Seems a little pricey at $63, but I don't think there's any better value in the Universe. This is one of the few pieces of content that I wanted a physical form of. I don't know what streaming will be like in the future and my children will watch this.

https://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Carl-Sagan/dp/B000055ZOB/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1452605397&sr=8-2&keywords=carl+sagan+cosmos

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1045 on: January 20, 2016, 03:06:29 PM »
9th planet in our solar system?

Has nothing to do with either Planet X, Nibiru or Pluto.  :P

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1046 on: January 20, 2016, 03:35:32 PM »
So what's the difference between this and the dozens of other Kuiper belt objects? The video didn't really say anything other than its approximate size.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1047 on: January 20, 2016, 03:52:22 PM »
So what's the difference between this and the dozens of other Kuiper belt objects? The video didn't really say anything other than its approximate size.

This planet would be much further out for a start. The size is also directly important, because it indicates that unlike Pluto and other Kuiper belt objects, it has cleared its orbital path and isn't influenced strongly by other forces, which is where they all fail the definition of a planet. In fact, I believe the gravitational influence on some of the Kuiper belt objects is what has led to them theorizing this additional planet.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1048 on: January 22, 2016, 04:25:04 AM »
Lets call it Pluto's Wrath! Watch out NdT!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1049 on: January 22, 2016, 07:21:48 AM »
Plan(et) 9 From Outer Space.....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....